Hiya! Help - as per title!

Thanks.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 30, 2005, 7:32 PM

Post #2 of 11 (15954 views)
Shortcut
Re: [madmoz] Recommended Dog Training Books? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear friend, there are more books about training & training methods around then you could probably imagine.

Try to be a little bit more specific.

What you would like to teach your dog? What breed is your dog? How old is your dog? What is his “education”? – that means what is he trained for already?As more specific you are, as easier it is to find the right book for your dog, but it might not be the right book for you. Why? It is very personal and has to do with your background on dog training and how you perceive the author’s style. And here would be the point, where we could come into the picture and help you to make a decision.

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Jul 3, 2005, 9:22 PM

Post #3 of 11 (15932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Recommended Dog Training Books? [In reply to] Can't Post

oh yeah...this also the question i wan to ask..

Okie..be more specific,
I have 3 mixed breed, 2 can train now...
Bobby 16 months, dont hook on toy and food if can train will be the best,
Now we have Benjy 4 months, hook on food
Want them to learn trick like high 5, turn around, talk, play dead and etc..any book to recommend me??Frown

Cheers ya,

Nicki the Devil live by the reputation of the name

boBby is a craz3 car PassaNger
Fat FaT other case Elegant Car GuEst
What make Me?
A LoYal huMan Driver.... Frown

NoBody is Prefect, Guess What i am Nobody
Nice to meet YOu

(Bobby+Nicky craze JT memBer)

BoBby San DogstEr
http://www.dogster.com/?158414

http://spykeaz-devil.blogspot.com/

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 4, 2005, 5:18 PM

Post #4 of 11 (15927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nicky_spykeaz] Recommended Dog Training Books? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen a book at MPH (megamall), which might be just right for you. Called something like “how to train your dog some tricks”.

Sorry, I was not paying much attention to it and can’t recall the exact title or the author.

BTW, it is a little easier to start with a very young dog then it is with an older dog.Turn around is extremely easy when your dog loves food so much. Just hold something delicious in front of his nose and lead him thru a turn around. Say the command each time. I bet, that your dog can do that after 3 sessions already (without any guidance or food).

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jul 4, 2005, 7:29 PM

Post #5 of 11 (15924 views)
Shortcut

Ello

Problem with many books is that there are not many pictures showing how the command is carried out, I wud prefer a video... I'm a more visual learner...

However there is an ebook I bought from a fren... its quite good & the instructions are clear enuff...

My furkids have the same jersey as ur MS is wearing... I have a poodle & a MS too Wink

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Jul 5, 2005, 2:59 AM

Post #6 of 11 (15910 views)
Shortcut

Ok ok...i will go this weekend and search it out...yeap lucky Benjy love food if not training is impossible again Crazy

Cheers ya,

Nicki the Devil live by the reputation of the name

boBby is a craz3 car PassaNger
Fat FaT other case Elegant Car GuEst
What make Me?
A LoYal huMan Driver.... Frown

NoBody is Prefect, Guess What i am Nobody
Nice to meet YOu

(Bobby+Nicky craze JT memBer)

BoBby San DogstEr
http://www.dogster.com/?158414

http://spykeaz-devil.blogspot.com/

madmoz

Jul 15, 2005, 5:47 AM

Post #7 of 11 (15868 views)
Shortcut

Hahahah my bad, my bad...

Siu Kat's a miniature schnauzer, almost 6 months old now... hoiusetrained, comes when called, sits on command, stays, gives paw but 'down' is a big no no...

Am hoping to skimp on obedience training... saw a book in MPH with loads of pictures... "Visually Training Your Dog" or something like that...maybe I'll get that one, unless if any of you've got a better suggestion...

Or maybe I'll just get the new Harry Porter book... and give it to my niece for her birthday - two months from now

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 18, 2005, 8:20 PM

Post #8 of 11 (15841 views)
Shortcut

Good idea. Don’t need to buy the book – just read it at MPH and get the book for your niece instead.

He is a little rebellion and does not like the submissive DOWN position.

I used a treat to convince a MP to finally do the down from sitting. He mastered it after the third session without any problem.Have fun & good luck.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 22, 2005, 6:53 AM

Post #9 of 11 (15829 views)
Shortcut

madmoz

hmm... for me i will choose a book which talk abt the breed i like most, with lots of photos, & completed with training section. no point buy a perfect book but u dont even interested to read it. Crazy

Yang

Regards,

Yang

shyeow2
Canine Addict

May 2, 2006, 4:31 PM

Post #10 of 11 (15074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Recommended Dog Training Books? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would recommend books by Bruce Fogle , there is also a book 'teach your new dogs old tricks' also not bad - it teach us how to think like a dog before go on training, make the training more logic..
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

jasen
Novice

Jul 24, 2006, 6:21 AM

Post #11 of 11 (14914 views)
Shortcut

Hi Madmoz, For really good visuals, try "Obedience without Conflict" - both videos 1 and 2 ~ talks about understanding motivation and how to clearly communicate. Ivan (the trainer in the videos) is a serious dogsport competitor and is training dogs for precision in competitions. Not home-based obedience. Don't believe breed books are what you really want because it does not teach/talk much about canine behaviour. All the best.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my