Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
Lovesick dog barking too much!

in
Novice

Jun 23, 2005, 6:58 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Lovesick dog barking too much! Can't Post

My dog is a rescued dog and has been with us for about 6 months now. He's generally very well behaved and not noisy. But for the past week, he has been barking a lot and its worse these few days.

It appears that our neighbour's (a few doors down) dog is a female dog. She's probably in heat and that's why our dog is going crazy. whenever our dog is out of the house, he goes straight to the neighbour's house and will sit quietly outside their gate the whole day. If we bring him back home, he will bark non-stop. To avoid me and everybody in my street from going crazy, I have resorted to letting him out at night where he will go straight to the female dog's house, so that we can all have a peaceful night sleep. We drag him home in the morning before we leave for work, and the barking will start.

My question is this. (1) How long is a female dog in heat? (2) My dog is about 6 years old, is he too old to be 'snip-snip'? (3) With regards to question 2, will this make him more quiet and not so crazy?

Please assist. Do you all have any other suggestions? I cannot tahan all this noise!

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 24, 2005, 8:51 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [in] Lovesick dog barking too much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, had to laugh about your dog and could not reply earlier.

1) about 2 weeks twice a year

2) YES, you can neuter your dog at any age

3) MAYBE, since it might not be the underlying problem, but it might help him to deal with his bouncing hormones.

You could start some sort of training instead of neuter the dog. Take him inside the house and hopefully he will keep quiet there. This would be an immediate measure until the female dog is out of the seasonal heat.

Walk long and exercise him in the evening, so that he will be to tired to flirt around.

Last but not least, your dog might just feel a little lonely and/or bored and uses this way to get more attention or the freedom to roam.

in
Novice

Jun 25, 2005, 12:39 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Lovesick dog barking too much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your advise.

I have taken him for long walks, but he keeps pulling his leash and wants to head home! And the moment he reaches home, he goes to the corner of my garden (nearest to the other dog's house) and starts to bark/whine/BARK. So it looks like distance is not helping.

I don't think its freedom to roam as the other house is only 2 huses away.

OMG! What if he still barks and wants to be with his girlfriend even after being 'snipped'? You're right, it might not be a mating thing..... What do I do then?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 27, 2005, 7:26 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [in] Lovesick dog barking too much! [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be a little more difficult then.

Look at the bright side of it. You can use his constant barking to teach him the “speak” command.
Whenever he starts barking they “speak” (or whatever you like) and praise him for doing it. Once he does start barking on command then you can start teaching him to stop on command as well. They “quiet” (or whatever you like) and praise him for doing it.

If he really likes your neighbors dog this much (not just the heat smell), then it needs a lot of attention from you & from your family and lots of training/exercise to make him forgetting her. Not that easy and it will need a lot of patience.
Good luck.

in
Novice

Jun 28, 2005, 2:17 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Lovesick dog barking too much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Joe,

Just to inform that my dog was sent to the vet for neutering on Saturday. I've sent him to my mom's for 1 week to recuperate. This will also give time for the female dog to 'finish' her heat. Hopefully all will be back to normal by next week.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my