Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Does it matter if d puppy's parents r old?

michellechen

Jun 22, 2005, 8:43 AM

Post #1 of 23 (2260 views)
Shortcut
Does it matter if d puppy's parents r old? Can't Post

I was told by sum breeders tht if d litter was d 1st few batches born, they r mor healthy... Thus if d puppy's parents r quite old, does it means tht d puppies r not so healthy?

Also, I bliv tht d environment wher d puppy grow up is also important, rite? Then, does it matter if d breeder (or sum1 at home) is a smoker?
-michelle-

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 22, 2005, 8:03 PM

Post #2 of 23 (2250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michellechen] Does it matter if d puppy's parents r old? [In reply to] Can't Post

The first litter is normally bigger because the bitch is young strong and healthy. If the breeder would give this female dog a break and not mate her immediately again then the second litter will be as good as the first one.

Environment is certainly very important. It should be clean, with lots of social interaction, love and care. We recommend to purchase the puppy from a breeder and not a pet shop, because in the pet shop you will neither see the parents (behavioral problems) nor the whole litter and the way they growing up.

If the breeder is a smoker then he might have a health risk in HIS life. It would be a health risk for the puppies when he is sitting around the puppies 24/7 and smoking all the while.

michellechen

Jun 23, 2005, 1:18 AM

Post #3 of 23 (2236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Does it matter if d puppy's parents r old? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thx 4 d info...

I'v currently seen a shih tzu puppy fr a home breeder which is a smoker. I dunno how often he smokes near d puppy but he did smoke in front of me wen I'm viewin d puppy. I actually quite like d puppy, it's cute but it seems weak, mayb it's bcoz it's only 5wks old.

He told me tht ther was another puppy in d litter, but din survive n died, now only left 1 male n 1 female... D male is quite mini, so dunno if d size will affect its health. I saw sum post here statin tht smaller shih tzu tends d b less healthy...

D parents of d puppy r both 5-6 yrs old already...

Dunno if I should get this puppy ler...
-michelle-

Sydney
Doggyman

Jun 24, 2005, 1:34 AM

Post #4 of 23 (2230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michellechen] Does it matter if d puppy's parents r old? [In reply to] Can't Post

It depends on the parents of the puppies. If the parents are old, then the puppy may not be active much. It also depends on the parents health. If the parents are healthy, then the puppies can have a good life

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jun 24, 2005, 4:20 AM

Post #5 of 23 (2227 views)
Shortcut

The parents of the dog is not a problem. My boxer's father was 11 year old when and my boxer is very strong and has an active personality. It's actually how the breeder breeds them. If the parents are not paired up by quality and health, the puppies would most likely be unhealty or low quality. A shih tzu, just make sure that both parents of the pup looks healthy and they have perfect clear eyes. If not ah, your future pup may have problems. Don't trust people who say it's mini sixe. A shih tzu shouldn't be too small, if too small ah.. well, more health problems will come your way.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

michellechen

Jun 24, 2005, 11:55 AM

Post #6 of 23 (2220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Does it matter if d puppy's parents r old? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If the parents are old, then the puppy may not be active much.

How old only is considered old..?
-michelle-

michellechen

Jun 24, 2005, 11:57 AM

Post #7 of 23 (2220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Does it matter if d puppy's parents r old? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A shih tzu, just make sure that both parents of the pup looks healthy and they have perfect clear eyes. If not ah, your future pup may have problems. Don't trust people who say it's mini sixe. A shih tzu shouldn't be too small, if too small ah.. well, more health problems will come your way.

But I dunno how 2 c if d parents got clear eyes or not ler... Unsure

How small is 2 small? D 1 I saw is like d size of a lil kitten n it's 5wks old...
-michelle-

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jun 24, 2005, 5:36 PM

Post #8 of 23 (2215 views)
Shortcut

A dog is consider old after 5 years of age. Usually a good breeder will not breed the dog after 5 years of age. As for eyes, just look into the black retina to make sure the colour is dark black not like a little grey then should be some problem. Some old dogs have problem with their eyes.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 24, 2005, 7:13 PM

Post #9 of 23 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Actually, the parent’s age is not this important. The health and breeding conditions are.
What sounds a little disturbing is the fact on the small size of the litter and that one pup died. It is very often an indication that the conditions were not that good.

Think carefully. If you like the pup and you are willing (and can afford it) to care for a less healthy dog, then by all means – take the puppy.
If you plan to show your dog or have a tied budget then turn around, run away, and look somewhere else instead.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jun 24, 2005, 8:51 PM

Post #10 of 23 (2207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Does it matter if d puppy's parents r old? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Just to let you know, I do agree with Joe's view on this matter, however the enviromental aspect, a friend of mine who is a GR breeder, got his first GR which looks like "dog from Hell", the vets whom he consulted more or less has the same opinion of the pup that it will show well. This owner, a wee bit over the top and loves his dogs like there is no tomorrow, brought this pup, showed him and the dog was GR of the year 2004.

Again, how much are you willing to put into the dog?

On that note, go else where, well at least make an option for yourself and search elsehwere then you can compare.

Good luck.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 24, 2005, 9:09 PM

Post #11 of 23 (2204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Does it matter if d puppy's parents r old? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, considering your point on the importance of proper and dedicated ownership, but it takes more then a few Ringgit and a few hours. Not many are willing to go the extra mile as your friend did.

michellechen

Jun 25, 2005, 12:48 AM

Post #12 of 23 (2196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Does it matter if d puppy's parents r old? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, thx 4 d tips... Wink D next time I c a puppy's parents, I'l check 4 tht...

So 5 yrs is considered old... Coz I wonder by tht age, d mother of d puppy wil stil hav milk 4 d puppy or not... Tongue I heard tht if d puppy is btl fed, it is not as good...
-michelle-

michellechen

Jun 25, 2005, 12:56 AM

Post #13 of 23 (2196 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
What sounds a little disturbing is the fact on the small size of the litter and that one pup died. It is very often an indication that the conditions were not that good.

Think carefully. If you like the pup and you are willing (and can afford it) to care for a less healthy dog, then by all means – take the puppy.
If you plan to show your dog or have a tied budget then turn around, run away, and look somewhere else instead.

Yea, wen I heard tht 1 of d puppy in d litter died, I also wonder how healthy d rest would b... But since I'm not experienced with dogs, I dunno if this will affect tht. I really appreciate d breeder's honesty as he can choose 2 hide this fact but did not. D way he says it so casually actually made me wonder if tht is not such a big deal, tht it actually do not proof how healthy d rest of d litter r... Tht's y I'm confused...

It is not only d budget tht hav 2 b considered. It's d emotional stress tht I dun think I can take. As I said earlier, I'm a 1st time pet owner (if I get this puppy)n inexperienced. Thus, if anythin happen 2 my puppy, I dunno if I wil dare 2 own anymor pets as I'm so much 2 b blamed 4 anythin tht happen 2 d puppy... Unsure
-michelle-

michellechen

Jun 25, 2005, 1:04 AM

Post #14 of 23 (2196 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Again, how much are you willing to put into the dog?

Great 2 hear tht ur fren's effort pays off... Congrats... I'm actually willin 2 put lots of efforts in2 my puppy but I do not knw if I can handle his health problems (if he really has...) I juz dun hope tht he suffers bcoz of me bein inexperience... Unsure I guess I better look around summor...
-michelle-

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jun 25, 2005, 2:22 AM

Post #15 of 23 (2189 views)
Shortcut

You sound very keen on this pup, if so ask the present owner if you can send the pup to your own vet and then decide from there and say you are willing to pay the consultation fee even if you do not want it, then :

1. You can note how confident he has in his pup

Do note it must be your vet not his.

As mentioned by you look else where. It is advisable to be patience.

I waited 3 years for my Weimer and two years for my Dob, there you go.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jun 25, 2005, 2:27 AM

Post #16 of 23 (2188 views)
Shortcut

Ah, looks like many already answered your questions. Anyway, young dogs are best parent dogs considered to old dogs. A male can be of any age, it's the female dog that cannot be too old. Normally people retire female dogs around 5 years old. Older females can have difficult pregnancies and less puppies, some maybe be too small. Like mice, I once had a accident pregnancy with a mouse older than 1 year, she gave birth, all the babies died coz the mother had no strength and the babies were born too early. So it is important for you to find a good breeding pair and a responsible breeder. A good breeder will answer all your questions, take all your calls and keep in touch with you after you take the puppy.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

michellechen

Jun 25, 2005, 11:37 AM

Post #17 of 23 (2183 views)
Shortcut

Yea, I guess, tht's wht I'l do... Crazy

Wow, u'v actually waited for 2-3yrs..??! Gosh...Shocked
-michelle-

michellechen

Jun 25, 2005, 11:41 AM

Post #18 of 23 (2182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Does it matter if d puppy's parents r old? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea, thx 2 all d helpful members here, I guess I can roughly get d idea... Nevertheless, thx 4 takin d time 2 reply me... Wink

Learn so much fr this forum...
-michelle-

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jun 26, 2005, 2:39 AM

Post #19 of 23 (2172 views)
Shortcut

No problem! Always free to help hehehe....

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jun 27, 2005, 4:57 PM

Post #20 of 23 (2163 views)
Shortcut

You are welcome for the tips Laugh

Normally no matter how old is your dog still have milk but the puppy might not be as healthy.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

michellechen

Jun 28, 2005, 11:25 AM

Post #21 of 23 (2151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Does it matter if d puppy's parents r old? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sum1 told me tht sum female dogs if 2 old or not healthy enuf wil not produce enuf milk 4 d puppies n d puppies wil hav 2 b bottle-fed... Of course btl fed is not as good as d mummy's milk ler...
-michelle-

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jun 28, 2005, 5:08 PM

Post #22 of 23 (2149 views)
Shortcut

That is true. The mother's milk contain antibodi that keeps the puppy healthy.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)

Sydney
Doggyman

Jul 4, 2005, 3:47 AM

Post #23 of 23 (2134 views)
Shortcut

You have kitconnie78 for help. You can get more in fo on her. old is more than 5 years+.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my