Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Exercise

Dar
Dog Kichi

Mar 16, 2002, 7:40 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Exercise Can't Post

I need some help please. My rotti is 13.5 months, 42kg and I take him walking / and running every evening. That is 7 days a week. But I happen to read somewhere that we should not take them for runs everyday, is this true? I f so how should I exercise him? For now he plays : running about in the house for ˝ hour then walks for 2km and runs another 2km, total exercise is for about an hour.

Thanks Dar.Blush

leopui
K9 Maniac

Mar 17, 2002, 12:52 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dar] Exercise [In reply to] Can't Post

My point of view ... you are doing wonderful over your Rottie for 1/2 hour roaming around you house, jogging 2 km, and walking 2 km. BUT please ensure that there is effecticient rest in between.

If you are living in a double story house, you can always make use of the staircase, get him to run up twenty time or more and another twenty times down ... You will see great result he is building over his hindleg and blocker chest ... in less than four months.

NOTE: All type of exercise, training method should be introduce from the basic ... from there ... you increase the numbers of requirement.

Why do you read about that stated daily running is not advise able by the way? It would be intertesting to learn what is there comment over this statement made.
LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

Dar
Dog Kichi

Mar 17, 2002, 4:54 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Exercise [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a lot.. I was very delighted to get you replay .This is how I do it.. Izac (my Rotti) starts walking after playing (running) around the house for 1km then we run for the next 1km, slow down let him poop and then walk a km again , finally run again. When we reach home I will let him off leash and let him rest or just walk around in the house for another ˝ hour before giving him a drink and putting him back in his “cage”.

So is he getting enough rest? I do hope you can tell me.

And for the staircase I don’t use them because I read in the www.rottweiler.net/forums/index.php ( I don’t remember the forum) that we should not let rottis use the staicase because they are big and might injure their legs. This made us not even letting Izac jump in and out of the car! And for the daily running… I read it from the same forum too, they said it is bad for the joins.

again Thank you , DarBlush

leopui
K9 Maniac

Mar 17, 2002, 7:49 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dar] Exercise [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't be able to tell you how much rest your Izac may need as different dog would have different level of stamina and energy ... in general rule, 30 minutes rest in between should do well, check on his tongue, as soon as colour get back to normal pink!!!

Well, the statement make from the forum is justify in a way ... but it did not provide solid factors to support the statement, I will not buy that!!! How could we agreed on one saying based on personal point of view without support???

If you able to introduce the exercise accordingly and to do it from the primary, I see not reason why and how could the "joint" get hurt ... please be inform that overfeeding may caused bone development and other "sickness" too, it doesn't mean that exercise is the main caused of joint loose.

I won't let my dog doing jumping or climbing a lot when they are below 10 months old by the way!!!

Rottweiler is a working breed, despite of it large size, the Rottweiler have being active too in the SchH ring, I wonder what will be the forum member commend about these ... not jumping? ... not climbing?

Many of the time, when you "OVER" love and "OVER" care toward your dog, you are making him weaker!!! Just my 2 cent thoughts!!!

LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

Dar
Dog Kichi

Mar 18, 2002, 10:30 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Exercise [In reply to] Can't Post

leopui,

thanks for the post. will catch up with you soon.

Dar

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my