Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Leash around collar instead of Harness

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 15, 2005, 8:36 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Leash around collar instead of Harness Can't Post

I attended the training in Taman Desa. I noticed that the dogs which attended the training are all wearing their leash around the neck rather than using a harness. Is there a particular reason for this?

For my doggy, I am using a harness. I dont really like using the collar around the neck because I think that this will sufocate the neck of the dog and cause choking.

Sydney
Doggyman

Jun 16, 2005, 2:33 AM

Post #2 of 10 (1569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] Leash around collar instead of Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, the harness is for dont let the dog plop out or run away from it's owner. Some owners pull the dogs away if they're dogs r afraid or sumthing

I used the harness on my dog at the dog fun day so that sid sid will not be so scared or running away.

Usin the leash on collar is actually better bcs the dog can move it's arm or legs freely.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 16, 2005, 10:35 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Leash around collar instead of Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

OIC. So is it a must to use collar and leash during training or can make use of harness instead?

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jun 16, 2005, 11:07 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1550 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Just read your quiry, actually the choke collar is the best collar all round for training and control plus the dog will know it's limitation as to how far he can go without choking. What ever the dog you may have, when you take your dog out it must alway do a heel and not just wonder a few feet away from you. You send your dog for training to behave and that is what it should be doing, a harness is not good in this respect. a harness would be good when your dog is steady that is it will do after you have commanded it. I do not use a choke collar to train, I use an electronic collar so I do not choke the dog at any one time. My Weimer, 3 years of age is on choke collar now as she is a very steady dog and work well when she goes out. She is back on the electronic collar sometimes just for re-enforcement. My Dob is however on electronic collar most of the time as she is only a year old, very hyper, easily distracted and challenges me very so often so until such time she will not be on a choke collar.

So, in short use a choke collar always as it is the best.

Have fun and enjoy with your dog.

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 17, 2005, 12:13 AM

Post #5 of 10 (1548 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Leash around collar instead of Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the explanation. It is very clear. Now I understand. Hmmmm.... I wonder how Scruffy will react when I use the choke collar? He has never worn it before.

Oh and by the way, how does the electronic collar work?

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jun 17, 2005, 5:21 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1545 views)
Shortcut

Hi again,

E-collar, it is a gadget that works by remote whereby it gives it gives a very minute electrical irritation to the dog while you give it the command. If you have tried those electronic machine whereby it massages you, the feeling is the same. How big the shock can be regulated by you the handler. For me it is better than the choke collar as you do not have to yank it to get it's attention. You should really see it and feel it then you will know. If you like to know more you can contact me at or see a demo on www.fredhassen.com My Weimeraner was three when she was on e-collar and within three days she can do a perfect heel. I did not really have to use the collar much after that. As mentioned if you wish to know more drop me a line.

All the best.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jun 17, 2005, 6:57 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1533 views)
Shortcut

Hi janthk,

The admin has edited my reply slightly but if you wish to contact me try 012 231-1032. My intention must have been construe as a business proposition, can't really balme them as there are some who would abuse the system.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best.

Sydney
Doggyman

Jun 18, 2005, 9:55 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1504 views)
Shortcut

It's your choice whether you want your dog to put on the harness or leash/collar. The both are the same but pls dont use the choke collarUnimpressed

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jun 19, 2005, 4:35 AM

Post #9 of 10 (1502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Leash around collar instead of Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sydney,

Just read and noted your comments and advise and would like to find out why you are against the use of a choke chain collar. As far as I can see the only reason is when one's dog do not know how to heel accordingly plus a major fault for the dog is rushing, that is when walking at heel once there is another dog walks by it just darts at the dog.

For me that is just lack of control. Grateful for your opinion certainly like to learn something new.

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 21, 2005, 8:23 AM

Post #10 of 10 (1491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Leash around collar instead of Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok. Thanks. Will SMS you.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my