Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
my puppy bark n growling at us when he's having his meal..

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kk9375

Jun 14, 2005, 12:58 AM

Post #1 of 29 (3475 views)
Shortcut
my puppy bark n growling at us when he's having his meal.. Can't Post

mm....i have a 4months old GR,he use to quite intimate to me..but,recently,when i touch him o go near him when he is having his meal,he will start growl,bark,very fierce like want to bite us..what had happen actually,i really dunno...

i left from home for work 7.30am n wil b back home at 7 something as well,during the period, my maid is taking care of him..sometimes,i wil think that my puppy had taken my maid as his mummy,but,sometimes,he wil fierce to her also..i really need help as i dun want anyone to get hurt...HELP...plzz...

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jun 14, 2005, 7:48 AM

Post #2 of 29 (3461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kk9375] my puppy bark n growling at us when he's having his meal.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I suggest you spend more time with it by playing tug of war with him using one of those big chew bone. He must feel comfortable with playing snatch. After a few minutes of tugging and pulling, you just stop and just hold your end of the toy and tell your pup sternly to "release" or "leave" or any other dialect you may know that is short. Just keep telling it until it does. Once he lets go, praise him and also calm him down. A moment or two later start playing again. Some members will disagree with me here but if he does not let go do hit him..... tap the top of his mouth "flicking your finger" and repeat the command. Put it this way if another dog is you and the puppy do not listen to a bigger dog, it will probably get growl at and even snap at so you are just doing the same thing. In short you are claiming your Alpha position. Do it now do not wait as if he gets any bigger you are going to have problem.

Good luck.

Sydney
Doggyman

Jun 19, 2005, 10:53 PM

Post #3 of 29 (3410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kk9375] my puppy bark n growling at us when he's having his meal.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Dogs do not like to be disturb during eating time. Dogs get irritated and started to do angry things. So, just dont disurb and play more games with so he can like you moreSmile

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 20, 2005, 9:47 PM

Post #4 of 29 (3401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] my puppy bark n growling at us when he's having his meal.. [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be danger when correct.
I can take out food of my dog’s mouth, I touch my dog while feeding, I take food from his bowl or put some food in while my dog is eating. None of the above would make my dog to show any sign of discomfort or even displeasure to me. I am the ALPHA in our family and I can do as I please – period.
With a toy breed it might not be this important to establish but with a giant breed dog it could be considered life saving.
On the other hand, what do you do when you see that your dog is picking up some poisonous or danger looking stuff while running around during JT or similar activity?
You as the alpha should be able to make him spitting out those things.
You should be able to check his teeth and his entire mouth (in case you are looking for some foreign objects or need to do some oral care) without fear or problems.

darenong
Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2005, 4:02 AM

Post #5 of 29 (3391 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] my puppy bark n growling at us when he's having his meal.. [In reply to] Can't Post

cool! bet u cant ask ur dog to sing .. haha eh some dogs sing and ive seen those and they win stuff from competition ... if not mistaken i think its a GR

FrownFrownSimba - the Shih Tzu kingFrownFrown
http://spaces.msn.com/...lt&_c=photoalbum
Dogster me! @ http://www.dogster.com/?156485

Pets they said are men's best friend. Are men pets best guardian?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 22, 2005, 7:35 PM

Post #6 of 29 (3386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darenong] my puppy bark n growling at us when he's having his meal.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Do not underestimate our dogs. SmileNever tried to make my dog sing until now but barking on command works already, at least when she is hungry she will do.

kk9375

Jun 22, 2005, 8:22 PM

Post #7 of 29 (3382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] my puppy bark n growling at us when he's having his meal.. [In reply to] Can't Post

how are you do all dis things??plz..help......he stil remain d same although im juz trying to add more foods in his bowl...

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 22, 2005, 8:59 PM

Post #8 of 29 (3379 views)
Shortcut

If you promise not to tell anyone. Sly

The trick is to bond with your dog prior to any exercise or training session. It makes no sense to start training when your dog is not looking at you or not paying any attention to you. To get that, I start training before meal times because when hungry then very attentive.

Training is limited to 5 minutes per session only (in the beginning). I use a different collar, so that the puppy learns “now is school time, learning new tricks, etc.”.

I will slowly guide the dog thru its new command or trick. I will insist on doing the command and I will never accept his personal interpretation. I will celebrate if done correctly as like as I did strike the lottery and praise the dog a lot. He might get a treat as well.

Last but not least, each training session has to end with a successful happy experience. So that the dog remembers that he was smart and was admired/praised by his boss.

That means that if he does not understand a command then let him do another he knows already and can do correctly. Try the “failed” command in the following week.

kk9375

Jun 22, 2005, 9:02 PM

Post #9 of 29 (3376 views)
Shortcut

he wil really try his very best to follow d command dat i ask him to do but except during his mealing time...he wil act totally different from usual..

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 22, 2005, 9:47 PM

Post #10 of 29 (3373 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, but I doubt that he accepts you as the absolute alpha/leader of the pack.

Try the following:

Put on his leash before feeding him. In this way, you can lead him away safely.

The moment he growls at you – say firmly and seriously upset NO (if you are a hot tempered person then scold him “bad boy” as well).

Lead him away from the food and walk around the house or block.

Lead him back to the food bowl and stop just inches away from it. Make him do something (sit or whatever) before giving him the command to eat.

Like a yoyo, repeat the show until he gets the point: growling at boss means stop eating and doing stupid things (like sit command) instead.If he got this point, then you did win already. All others, like touching him, add-on food, take away some food from the bowl or from his mouth are just variations and training repeats itself.

Sydney
Doggyman

Jul 4, 2005, 4:16 AM

Post #11 of 29 (3354 views)
Shortcut

I always check his teeth, and there's always nothing except yellow colour teeth, have to brush his teethMadUnimpressed. He obeys me but not my parents or my sis. I'm always a big bully and he doesnt disobey meSly

Bigger dogs have sharper teeth. But is that true?

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 4, 2005, 5:31 PM

Post #12 of 29 (3351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] my puppy bark n growling at us when he's having his meal.. [In reply to] Can't Post

If your parents and your sister are interested in dogs and want to be part of the “pack” then they have to do something about it. If not, then it is OK, since you have a toy breed only. If they like to be part then they have to join the daily routine of grooming, touching and handling. The normal way to ensure the hierarchy in the “pack”.

You could try to give a “greeny” or a chicken neck as a treat to him to safe you the teeth brushing job.I don’t think that the teeth are sharper in giant breed dogs but surely bigger and a lot more biting power. My dog can crash a solid cow’s bone without any sign of stressful biting.

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 24, 2005, 12:29 AM

Post #13 of 29 (3146 views)
Shortcut

The chicken neck... A real one or a toy one? I saw 1 at the pet store near my tuition.

A dog gets spoiled if pampered 2 much. How can it get spoiled?

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 24, 2005, 2:07 AM

Post #14 of 29 (3145 views)
Shortcut

well supposingly a dog shouldnt be agressive or growl at his/her owner no matter in what circumstances. do u ask ur dog to obey to ur commands before he eat? for eg. ask him to sit/down 1st.

for me, i will prefer to ask my dog to obey to me before he eat. i will ask her to do some triack, then give her a kibble for reward. then after some tricks i will give her command to sit, down & STAY.

stay until i say "OK!" then only she start eating. of corse this is not to torture my dog or anything, juz teaching her descipline even when she is doing the thing she loves most & being PROPECTIVE most.

Regards,

Yang

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 24, 2005, 6:59 PM

Post #15 of 29 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Cool I am for the real thing only. You will be surprised about the joy your dog will have with it and certainly about the shiny white teeth he is getting.

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 24, 2005, 8:09 PM

Post #16 of 29 (3111 views)
Shortcut

Yea.. What kind of food will make his teeth be more whiter? Toothpsate cant be eaten. No way he can finish the pedigree denta boneCrazy

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 25, 2005, 12:47 AM

Post #17 of 29 (3099 views)
Shortcut

As I said, feed chicken neck or feet and you will be surprised.

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 25, 2005, 4:50 AM

Post #18 of 29 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Okay. Maybe it will break sidney's teeth. O well, i gotta buy 1 full chicken if my mum let and chop it's head of. Whoa.. real chicken?

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 25, 2005, 5:30 PM

Post #19 of 29 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Sydney is a dog, right? Cool

So don’t worry and don’t buy a whole chicken, just to get the neck and feet. You can buy them at any grocery store or if you wish at the fresh market.BTW, chicken neck bones are so called soft bones and your dog will enjoy eating them.

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 26, 2005, 10:08 PM

Post #20 of 29 (3078 views)
Shortcut

Oooo, thx for the tips. Maybe i'm gonna get 1 from any butcher. But i'm afraid there's 2 many bones in sede the chicken neck, if sidney eats it , he'll chokeFrown.

Can white chicken meat make a dog teeth white other than a chcken's neckSmile?

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 26, 2005, 10:44 PM

Post #21 of 29 (3076 views)
Shortcut

The risk of getting chocked while eating chicken neck is not higher then with eating kibbles. Wink

Always remember it has to be a RAW bone, never feed a cooked bone , since cooked bones will splinter, which may cause injury anywhere between mouth to anus.It is not the chicken meat that makes the teeth white, it is chewing BONES. I did recommend the chicken neck, since it is small, is soft and easily available anywhere.

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 26, 2005, 11:33 PM

Post #22 of 29 (3073 views)
Shortcut

I thought raw bones only give the dog's teeth protein not making it any whiter.FrownFrownI need sumthing else to make his teeth whiter other than toothpaste and chicken partsUnimpressed

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 27, 2005, 1:08 AM

Post #23 of 29 (3070 views)
Shortcut

Nope, when your dog is chewing on bones then it is almost the same as brushing his teeth, just easier for us and healthier and certainly more enjoyable for the dog.

He is getting calcium from the bones – the main component bones are made of.Try it out and you will be surprised how white his teeth will become and no tartar buildup either.

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 28, 2005, 5:37 AM

Post #24 of 29 (3066 views)
Shortcut

Do i have to wash the chicken bone? How big can it be? My dog chews anythingUnimpressed

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

MisterStan
Doggyman

Aug 29, 2005, 11:48 PM

Post #25 of 29 (3059 views)
Shortcut

Hi Joe

You were saying that chicken neck/feet can make dogs teeth whiter.. So i just go buy the neck/feet, and just feed them like that?

do i need to boiled them or mix them with something... you also said that boiled them make the bones softer, which could injured the dogs while biting.. so i assume don't boiled them..

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my