Home: Breed Specific: Gundog Group:
Bathing for Labrador

kwkhoo
Novice

Apr 7, 2003, 8:10 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2293 views)
Shortcut
Bathing for Labrador Can't Post

Hi, I got a new labrador pup, 4 months old.....and i was wondering how often do i have to bath him as he tends to smell bad.

Also, other than dog food, what kind of diet should he be fed if i were to opt out from dog food.

Any input is appreciated, as i am very new to this dog rearing.

Thanks.Unimpressed

mackmack
Doggyman

Apr 7, 2003, 9:09 PM

Post #2 of 11 (2281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kwkhoo] Bathing for Labrador [In reply to] Can't Post

I was advised by my vet, during Mack's puppy days, bath him whenever neccessary; means: need not to bath him often, just bath him when he's dirty, to "protect" golden's double-coating. i started from once every 2 weeks, then once a week after 1-yr-old.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

milooh

Apr 7, 2003, 9:14 PM

Post #3 of 11 (2279 views)
Shortcut

I have a labrador and we encouraged swimming when he was about 16 weeks old. Labradors love the water and swimming. So if you live near a lake that allows dogs, please bring him swimming like every other day or every day if you can. Then just wipe him down and he should be fine. As for dog food, what kind are you feeding him? If you opt out of dog food, please click the link below for a good understanding of a natural diet for dogs. By the way, Milo loves raw carrots, cantelope, apples and oranges (all seedless) too. Tell me if the link doesnt work.

http://www.msnusers.com/...=4675416578928300068

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

wkser
ALPHA

Apr 7, 2003, 11:06 PM

Post #4 of 11 (2275 views)
Shortcut

hi,

normally will be once in a week with shampoo....you can rinse them with luke warm water if the got smelly in a daily basis without any shampoo just plain luke warm water........the purpose is just wash away those dirt that stick at their fur .....SmileWink

regards
kangser and nous

Trivor
K9 Servant

Apr 8, 2003, 12:15 AM

Post #5 of 11 (2271 views)
Shortcut

Hi~
I have a 4 months old Golden, I try to bath her 2 a week. Wednesday and Sunday. I wipe her eyes and tummy with clean wet clothes everyday. This is to prevent eyes infection and tummy's skin is very soft, so they are prone to get skin infection easily too. Sunday is a "thorough" bathing, includes ears cleaning, nail polishing...etc
Also remember, don't bath him after vaccine for 7 - 10 days. This is important as after jap, doggie will get weak. Do't bring him out too!
Excited to get new labby??

sc

kwkhoo
Novice

Apr 8, 2003, 1:32 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Bathing for Labrador [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks guys,.........

Anyway...another Q; how many type of vaccination for Lab. The shop i got him from told me he already had his first jab when he was a month old.

Also he tends to sit in such a way that it seem his back is too heavy...any info on this..as i afraid that he might have a hip problem or over weight.

TQ...Angelic

cdmoo
ALPHA

Apr 8, 2003, 1:32 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2264 views)
Shortcut

hi kwkhoo,

As most members suggested.. on the average it's once a week.

Sometimes the smell is from his ears. So, during bathing, make sure you clean his ears as well.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

kwkhoo
Novice

Apr 8, 2003, 1:35 AM

Post #8 of 11 (2263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Bathing for Labrador [In reply to] Can't Post

thats what i suspected too...as the fur coat does not smell....only the head area....i bought eardrop cleanser...that should work rite?

thanks...Angelic

wkser
ALPHA

Apr 8, 2003, 1:38 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2259 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i fully agreed with moo ...everytime after you bath your dog you should clean their ears also with a eardrop cleanser ........WinkSmile

regards
kangser and nous

Trivor
K9 Servant

Apr 8, 2003, 8:02 PM

Post #10 of 11 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Hello,
Oh, I give Trivor 3 japs totally. 1st jap was from her breeder. after a month, 2nd jap, and next month for 3rd jap, includes Parainfluenza, Coronavirus, canine distemper,... etc. they called it 7-in-one. Don't bring your doggie out if not yet finished his japs. They are easily get viruses from other dogs if not protected.
Hmmm, how heavy is your labby? My 4 months old Golden Trivor is about 8.8kg now. It should be normal if they increase weight +/-10% weekly during 3-6 months. but not too much as too heavy may cause them hip dyplasia. so, weight them every week to watch weight Laugh

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

kwkhoo
Novice

Apr 9, 2003, 9:31 AM

Post #11 of 11 (2239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Bathing for Labrador [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Trivor,

Ben is only four months+ but he tip the scale at almost 40lbs....that makes me wonder if he is really four months old like they say he is.....i got him from a shop in outskirts of KL.

Anyway...made a trip to the vet..got him dewormed...and scheduled for vaccine this Sun. Doc says he's got some air in the stomach too.

Hopefully it will go away with the medicine....

kwUnsure

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my