Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Important Notes For Thai Ridgeback Owners!!!

Delta_gate
Novice

Jun 5, 2005, 10:13 PM

Post #1 of 12 (4474 views)
Shortcut
Important Notes For Thai Ridgeback Owners!!! Can't Post

Dear All,

I have a very beautiful male Thai Ridgeback that HAD a seemingly serious skin problem. I had spent close to a thousand ringgit to try to heal him. I had done some research myself on possible skin problems related to this breed and had confirmed with doctors and the breeder that my dog DOES not have the infamous "The Dermoid Sinus Cyst" for more info goto http://www.thaidog.org/atra/dermoid.html

So, what is wrong with my dog? I had found that my dog is suffering from what is known to us as "THE MOSQUITO BITE" !!!!! So you ask me how is that possible that mosquito bites can result in the dog seemingly have a serious skin problem? Let me explain, this breed is generally a healthy breed and is very rare... it has a velvety-like coat therefore has very very short hair. As i keep him in the compound and my house is on a foothill, a lot of mosquito can get to him and to make things worst he is black in color.

So, the mosquito bites affected his whole body and he starts scratching it non-stop and it developed into serious redness and certain area would bleed and get swollen. I went to 2 doctors and both prescribed medication/drugs, malaseb shampo, food supplements etc etc and all is $$$$$$$$$.

At the end, the simple solution is do a netting for the kennel, but as my dog doesn't like to sleep in it, I spray him with mosquito repellent (made from natural ingredients can be bought from local pharmacy for RM10) every night. Now he is free from any skin disease... and as healthy as he should be at the first place...

I dun wanna blame the vet, these things can be hard to detect so I wanna share this infor with you. Hope it can safe you some major bucks and major headaches.... hahahahaha , i am just happy that my dog is healthy. PLease if you know any thai ridgeback owners that had a problem with many red spots developing all over the body share this infor with him/her.

THANK YOU FOR READING....

colinchin
Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2005, 7:08 PM

Post #2 of 12 (4398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Delta_gate] Important Notes For Thai Ridgeback Owners!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Dear All,

I have a very beautiful male Thai Ridgeback that HAD a seemingly serious skin problem. I had spent close to a thousand ringgit to try to heal him. I had done some research myself on possible skin problems related to this breed and had confirmed with doctors and the breeder that my dog DOES not have the infamous "The Dermoid Sinus Cyst" for more info goto www.thaidog.org/atra/dermoid.html

So, what is wrong with my dog? I had found that my dog is suffering from what is known to us as "THE MOSQUITO BITE" !!!!! So you ask me how is that possible that mosquito bites can result in the dog seemingly have a serious skin problem? Let me explain, this breed is generally a healthy breed and is very rare... it has a velvety-like coat therefore has very very short hair. As i keep him in the compound and my house is on a foothill, a lot of mosquito can get to him and to make things worst he is black in color.

So, the mosquito bites affected his whole body and he starts scratching it non-stop and it developed into serious redness and certain area would bleed and get swollen. I went to 2 doctors and both prescribed medication/drugs, malaseb shampo, food supplements etc etc and all is $$$$$$$$$.

At the end, the simple solution is do a netting for the kennel, but as my dog doesn't like to sleep in it, I spray him with mosquito repellent (made from natural ingredients can be bought from local pharmacy for RM10) every night. Now he is free from any skin disease... and as healthy as he should be at the first place...

I dun wanna blame the vet, these things can be hard to detect so I wanna share this infor with you. Hope it can safe you some major bucks and major headaches.... hahahahaha , i am just happy that my dog is healthy. PLease if you know any thai ridgeback owners that had a problem with many red spots developing all over the body share this infor with him/her.

THANK YOU FOR READING....
Hi there, Where did you buy your pup from ? Thanks.

Delta_gate
Novice

Sep 28, 2005, 12:57 AM

Post #3 of 12 (4392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colinchin] Important Notes For Thai Ridgeback Owners!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,

I got my ThaiRidgeback from Mr. Tung a few years ago. I think he is the only breeder of the ThaiRidgebacks in Malaysia. But sad to say he has since discontinued breeding them and has sold off the whole lot.

However, I manage to contact the person who bought the whole lot from him and good to know that the breed is kept alive and well in the remote island of Pulau Ketam (40 mins from Klang). I've been there and seen his dogs, they were well kept.

Call me, 012-6021991 Bobby Tan. I've been meaning to pay him another visit maybe you can tag along to see... I think he has a few pups available right now.

Warm regards...

colinchin
Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2005, 6:07 PM

Post #4 of 12 (4382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Delta_gate] Important Notes For Thai Ridgeback Owners!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks.

GOJIRA3D
Novice

Nov 16, 2005, 9:44 AM

Post #5 of 12 (4286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colinchin] Important Notes For Thai Ridgeback Owners!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello

i have also a Thai Ridgeback Dog
i own Kena Female TRD now 14 dec she wil 3 years i know her from 3 weeks and having her from 7 weeks old of age.

i also having a Msn Community jester3d's place www.thai-ridgeback

i am also building a new website who soon are in the air i also having a
new item thats the

Thai Ridgeback Dog Global Pedigree Registration

Its for nowing how many dogs there are in the countries and what kind of bloodlines there are so we all in the wolrd know what dogs we need to import .

i am a Alliance of the Creative Thai Dog Club Bangkok
this way i try to improof some things for the breed
thats wy the Thai Ridgeback Dog Global Pedigree Registration
wil be the first step for this breed
so more Thai Breeders wil be having proper Pedigrees

i also have more than 1100 pictures for you to see in my Gallery about the TRD www.jesters-place.nl/upload/

best Regards Edwin from the Netherlands

(This post was edited by GOJIRA3D on Nov 16, 2005, 9:47 AM)
Attachments: Edwin-en-Kena.jpg (50.0 KB)

GOJIRA3D
Novice

Nov 16, 2005, 9:49 AM

Post #6 of 12 (4279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GOJIRA3D] Important Notes For Thai Ridgeback Owners!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

www.thai-ridgeback

sorry this the one lol

best regards edwin
Attachments: Kena-Ridge.jpg (48.5 KB)

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Dec 3, 2005, 1:55 AM

Post #7 of 12 (4237 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Are you the owner of the ridgeback that I met last sunday evening ?

cheers,
minglmy

Delta_gate
Novice

Dec 3, 2005, 8:36 AM

Post #8 of 12 (4225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Important Notes For Thai Ridgeback Owners!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, no I'm not that person I'm affraid. Had not meet anyone not in my neighbourhood last sunday evening. But Pllllleeeeaaazzzzee let me have the contact of that guy you mentioned (if you have it). I'm at the point of giving up on finding a mate for my male thairidgeback. MKA can go after me all they want but it's my responsibility to find a mate for my lovely dog so I'll crossbreed if i had to and soon...

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Dec 3, 2005, 10:58 PM

Post #9 of 12 (4217 views)
Shortcut

I'm sorry I do not agree to irresponsible breeding of dogs and gosh, for even thinking of cross breeding your so called LOVELY ridgeback. Which their puppies cannot be called as thai ridgeback anymore due to the cross. What a shame that will be.

I know so far 2 owners who owns em and they too are not those who breed for no reason therefore, i wont be giving out any contacts.

cheers,
minglmy

Delta_gate
Novice

Dec 8, 2005, 7:42 AM

Post #10 of 12 (4200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Important Notes For Thai Ridgeback Owners!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have got it totally wrong. I despise your comments about crossbreeding as an act of irresponsibility and breed for no reason. That is not my point.

The point is I want to give my dog a chance to breed which is the mission and the right of all living things. he has serve me well as my companion and my friend and i shall do my very best to let him breed as he is very eager now at his age. As I have said earlier I had looked high and low for owners of this breed to keep his line alive but I just hadn't found one available. You know 2 owners of this breed... great you wanna help you can but you choose not too - that's fine with me but please save your holy talk for someone else.

My friend, the dogs that you see today are a product of many many generation of crossbreeding. They crossbreed to mix the qualities of different breeds to come with one that serves a certain purpose. You think a boxer or a bloodhound or a bull terrier is originally BORN that way ??? PLLLLLEEAASE lar what's wrong with mix breed? The point is you love your dog FULL STOP. You shouldn't care so much what breed it is....

You calling me a irresponsible dog owner??? Breed for no reason? I love my dog - I walk him EVERY single day, he has a very short hair - prone to insect bies i install Mortiene Liquid ourside my house for him. I only bath him with WARM water... I would have done the same if he wasn't a pedigree.

I got him because he is a mid-sized breed that was used as a guard dog and doesn't bark excessively.

So now you are giving me a lecture about responsiblity and the satanic act of crossbreeding - boy you must be an expert in dog caring.

For your info, there ARE MANY people out there who loves a dog for the true meaning of love. It's easy to speak with convictions when you are not in the predicament. If you love a dog as much as I do then prolly you will understand my decision but i doubt it.

So saaaavvve your holy talk and what nots and the hell i don't need those contacts... any contacts of yours just ain't worth my time. People such as yourselves I like to refer to as mr/ms clueless rightestness.

Have a nice day.

(This post was edited by Delta_gate on Dec 8, 2005, 7:52 AM)

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Dec 14, 2005, 2:58 AM

Post #11 of 12 (4156 views)
Shortcut

Dear Delta,

Cool down there boy. 1st and foremost, I get your point. You want to breed (period). For money or for otherwise that is none of my business. What you are doing is "breeding indiscriminately". 1st have you ever think about where the puppies will go to ? Have you seen the dogs in PAWS and SPCA that is being dump there due no excessive breeding of dogs (by intention or otherwise) by owners and what's not. Also have you think about the puppies health ? IF you like so much mixed breed, then please by all means get those who is interested people who is willing to adopt your puppies to adopt from PAWS n SPCA. There is many being put to death over there with ignorant people breeding again and again without thinking of where the puppies will go and what will happen to them 2 - 3 yrs down the road or about the bitch breeding them - giving birth is not an easy feat ok.

People who seemingly likes dogs and adopt the puppies tends to outgrown the love of a dog when they are no longer cute. Finding a lifetime partner for them is not easy. More so when/if you puppies are not healthy. When you brings a life onto the earth, when each of them dies due to diseases and in SPCA or PAWs, that is the sin of the breeder.

What is mission to you might not be for your dog. Its what you want that makes that a need. Loving a dog, caring a dog got nothing to do with breeding, you obviously got your love measured in the wrong way. I'm saying "IRRESPONSIBLE BREEDING" and that 2 word alone got NOTHING to do with "RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERSHIP" get your facts right before going on defensive mode and calling names here.

Well, talking about people who speak with convictions when you are not in the predicament..... you are the one who is implying that I do not love my dogs for the true meaning of love. How shallow of you to be the one doing the "pot calling the kettle black". Thing is I love my dogs much more also i love the dogs community MORE than you do. Thats why I know and also understand your so called decision and infact "despise it even more"

I'm not giving you a lecture but you took the 2 paragraph in your own ways. 1st paragraph is to tell u I dont agree to what you are doing thenfore 2nd is just to tell you that i wont be giving those contact to you. THAT is all. People will see you as what you have written and I'm glad for that. I know for sure you would want to have the last word in this thread here so do go on. For me, end of post for I have say what needed to be say and thank god, i didnt say where I met the ridgeback earlier in this post here. Love is blind and I guess thats what you are facing.

cheers,
minglmy

Delta_gate
Novice

Dec 19, 2005, 1:16 AM

Post #12 of 12 (4148 views)
Shortcut

Ok, this is not what I intended to do - go on a rant with another dog lover over an issue that we both care about. Ok guess I overeacted a bit but somehow your reply earlier brought out something in me to go on defensive. Right, let me apologize for my choice of words.

Yes, I agree breeding a litter of puppies takes a lot of thinking and is a big responsibility. I definitely do not want those pups to end up in SPCA or PAWS. Ok, still no solution for this problem here. On on hand I want to let my dog have a chance to breed, on the other; mix breeds do have a lower chance of finding a good owner.

So I have decided to put a hold on my decision for now. He is still just 2 years of age and I will continue to find a suitable mate for him and the right thing to do would be to continue this breed line so the pups have a better chance of finding an owner.

So let's go back to what this thread was originally meant for, to discuss about how to improve our dog's health, got sidetracked a bit back there and I hope I have not created a crack that is too deep to fix...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my