Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
Poo problem

.Lab
Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2005, 11:49 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2306 views)
Shortcut
Poo problem Can't Post

My Hazel has to be chained at night because she will get into mischief when everyone is asleep((Digging in wrong place, chewing, taking stuff out and leaving them everywhere, etc.)). But everytime she chain up she will poo far away from her sleeping place. Its tile somemore! So hard to clean. Very smelly. So how to teach her how to poo only when we let her loose? I read a bit on the posts and some people say to use newspaper but how to use? She will be chained up.

Another way is how to teach how not to get into trouble. Always find hole in wrong place or the plants being taken out and left everywhere.

.Lab Frown Frown

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hazel = A Terror in Disguise!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JuStiN'doGgIe
Canine Addict

Jun 5, 2005, 8:35 PM

Post #2 of 11 (2281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [.Lab] Poo problem [In reply to] Can't Post

erm... why dun u train her to pee n poo before sleep? asa for my Figo, i paper train him, which is very easy... pups cant hold their pee n poo long, usually they will do it after sleep, play, n after meal... when hazel starts to sniff around, quickly carry her n put her on the newspaper. when she did it right, praise her n give her treat... within a day, u can paper train it... good luck!

Toy
K9 Maniac

Jun 7, 2005, 1:52 AM

Post #3 of 11 (2267 views)
Shortcut

most dogs wont pee or poo at where they sleep, and your dog is the same according to your statement that your dog poo far away from the place he sleep.

well, for a place your dog to sleep, you suppose to crate him to an area which just enough for him to stretch his body & turn around, he wont pee & poo as he needs to sleep at that area.

this is not cruel though as dogs actually loves to be safe when sleep, design the place to be very comfortable maybe some clothes & his favourite toy, and he will love that area and sleep soundlessly.

but of corse the place to sleep is not the place to cage him all day long or else he wont feel happy. anyway if you really feel you dont like to crate your dog, you can try paper train him, it works too.

for my maltese, she sleeps in her cage with a pillow, a towel & a toy, she wont pee & poo when she sleeps but i will need to be responsible enough to wake up every morning to let her out from her cage to do her business. the rest of the time she is free!

Sydney
Doggyman

Jun 9, 2005, 3:09 AM

Post #4 of 11 (2252 views)
Shortcut

You can put the newspaper every where in your garden so that Hazel can poo on the newspaper and it's easier to wash but it's very 'mafan'. You can try to put the newspaper on her fav spot where she leaves her droppingsUnimpressed

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

.Lab
Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2005, 11:36 PM

Post #5 of 11 (2226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Everyone] Poo problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for replying,

All that sounds easy, but then my problem is that she can't hold her poo long. My mum said that she was so upset that she ate her poo when we were in Cameron! Must be stressed or something. She normally never eat poo like a good girl Smile. She can hold pee, not poo. Strange.

.Lab Frown Frown

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 13, 2005, 11:50 PM

Post #6 of 11 (2223 views)
Shortcut

Try the following. After each meal, you take your dog outside to the “designed” poop area and walk around this area until you notice the dog wants to make its business.
The moment you see the dog starts serious to smell & to circle (means is going to poop) then you call your dogs name and say your command word for “poop”.
BEWARE; select a word, which will not occur in your normal family conversation otherwise you will be heading for a smelly surprise. Praise the dog after it finishes the business as like as you did strike the lottery.
In nearly no time your dog will poop on command and where you want it.

.Lab
Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2005, 11:46 PM

Post #7 of 11 (2202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Poo problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Alritey. That sounds good. Then no more need to worry about taking her to poop and wait for ages with nothing happening. I just hope she listens. I've been trying that, I just never catch her about to poop.

.Lab Frown Frown

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 16, 2005, 12:33 AM

Post #8 of 11 (2196 views)
Shortcut

Hi, remember what goes in has to come out. The best time is short after the meal. Wink

You will notice that the body posture is different (just don’t look aside when he poops the next time). Smile

Normally it looks like a hunched back (like a angry cat), head down to keep sniffing (why they do that … I don’t know) and front legs near hind legs, tail raised (they don’t like to poop on fur & tail) and ass near to the ground.

So, if your dog circles & sniffs a potential spot and goes in the above mentioned posture, then you are quite sure that he will do his business there.

If you don’t like the area then yell NO and move quickly to an appropriate spot nearby. If you agree to the area then call his name, pause for a second (just to give him time to think “ah, that’s me”) and say your chosen word for “poop”.

Praise lavishly when he finishes the business (treat might help too). The dog might wonder why it gets praise for something so normal then that, but will be more then pleased that he could make his master happy.

lapdog
Novice

Aug 17, 2005, 2:25 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2003 views)
Shortcut

What are you feeding her? If you are using a low quality food, switch to a better one. Look for at least 28% protein or better and no corn. Make sure you are feeding her only the recommended amount. Give her dinner early so she has plenty of time to poo before bed. Invest in a crate for night time.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 17, 2005, 6:25 PM

Post #10 of 11 (1998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lapdog] Poo problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess that you in your excitement with posting mixed up a little. I am feeding BARF diet to my dog; hence, do not have any of the mentioned problems.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy our forum and we are generally very happy to have you here and sharing your views with us.

lapdog
Novice

Aug 17, 2005, 7:23 PM

Post #11 of 11 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, I meant to ask that question of the original poster. Guess I hit the wrong reply button.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my