Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
A bag of problems

jcjsjc
Novice

Jun 2, 2005, 4:11 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1304 views)
Shortcut
A bag of problems Can't Post

Barney is 7 months old and he is driving me crazy.

He likes to chew on slippers and hands and feets (especially mine!). When we go for a walk, he'll be pulling like mad and the leash will cut into hands. Tried to train him to heel but he doesn't listen and only thing i could teach him was 'Come". For some reason he hates cyclist and motorcyclist, he chases and barks at them;sometimes he barks for no reason at all. And he pees like a female! (have asked a vet and he ensures me he'll outgrow around 8,9 months old but Barney is showing no signs of it)

Thinking of enrolling him in Obedience class but afraid of bringing him out to public, scared he'll bite or chase someone .

Question: Will he outgrow all the above problems and if yes, WHEN???

-----------------------------------------------------------
You know what? Barney's starting to show some sense..hehe..

Toy
K9 Maniac

Jun 7, 2005, 1:40 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jcjsjc] A bag of problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Whenever he chews, stuck a chew toy to his mouth, make it a habit.

If he pulls when you bring him for a walk, you stop and stand still untill your dog sit. it is understandable you dog might take minutes to sit but trust me, he will sit but you need patient. once your dog sit, only you walk. if he pulls again repeat the step. after some times, your dog will understand once he pull, he will need to stop. but if he follows you, he will get a good walk.

Not frenly to strangers is a sign of lack of communication with ppl, not able to learn to pee "like a male" is also due to lack of communicate with doggy frens. trust me if you let him spend more time with ppl, he will ne more frenly, and normally dogs tend to learn from other dogs, so if he saw other male dogs pee like a male, he will as well, even if he is a she!

hope this will help you a bit.

Sydney
Doggyman

Jun 9, 2005, 12:40 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1245 views)
Shortcut

Puppies start to pull bcs maybe your dog is teething. pups bite from young to have a good row of sharp teeth so that they can handle stuff as big as them. So try to be more patient as your pup is still a pupSmile

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 30, 2005, 9:49 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1169 views)
Shortcut

Don’t worry to much.

First of all, it is a puppy and teething, discovering his environment and doing some exercise for his jaws.

Provide him with a chewing toy and praise him when he is using it. Say firmly NO when he tries to chew on something else. Guide him to his chewing toy and encourage the use of it. Slowly, he will get the idea and stop chewing other things.

If you like, there is some “anti-chew” spray available and that could safeguard your tables, chairs, etc.

Chewing hands is a bad habit and you should stop it fast. Be firm and consistent and he will learn that biting you or chewing your hands is a “no-go”

Pulling on the leash is luck of respect (for you as the alpha dog/leader).

Use the longest leash you have and/or extend it with a rope. On a big field let him wander off until the line is almost fully extended. Start walking in the opposite direction without saying anything or without even looking at your dog. Change directions whenever the dog walks in the same direction then you do. If he progresses in keeping up with you, you can shorten the line slowly. I assure you that within a few sessions, he will walk next to you.

Male dogs start lifting the leg when they are ready to challenge; hence, might pee like a female dog for several years. A very timid dog might never lift the leg, which is considered marking HIS area. He is lifting the leg to mark as high as possible so that the message could be read from far away.Not going to public places is not the solution. The dog needs to learn correct behavior and need to gain experience. If you are very worried about his behavior then you could use a muzzle until you have better control over him.

pesky
Novice

Jun 30, 2005, 10:37 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1165 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Barney is 7 months old and he is driving me crazy.

He likes to chew on slippers and hands and feets (especially mine!). When we go for a walk, he'll be pulling like mad and the leash will cut into hands. Tried to train him to heel but he doesn't listen and only thing i could teach him was 'Come". For some reason he hates cyclist and motorcyclist, he chases and barks at them;sometimes he barks for no reason at all. And he pees like a female! (have asked a vet and he ensures me he'll outgrow around 8,9 months old but Barney is showing no signs of it)

Thinking of enrolling him in Obedience class but afraid of bringing him out to public, scared he'll bite or chase someone .

Question: Will he outgrow all the above problems and if yes, WHEN???

Most dogs would already have all their adult teeth by 6 months so Barney's chewing would probably be attributed to habitual chewing or playbiting. Both can be fixed thru training (check out forum). You can also keep all chewable stuff out of sight or lace them with something Barney doesnt like (You could buy sprays but it does not work most of the time, personally chilli padi works for me, just rub it on).

You should also be training Barney to heel (again check out other forumers tips). As for peeing like a female, I dont think thats a real problem. Also if Barney is castrated, the chances of him peeing like a female are higher.

But what is most important is, DO NOT WAIT FOR HIM TO OUTGROW ANYTHING because he never will. Dogs are creature of habits. Once they get used to something (like chewing slippers), it becomes really fun and pleasurable for them. Age will not change this.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my