Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Eating Poo & Licking Pee:
poop eating...why? and possibly some solutions!

a_evie
Doggyman

Jun 1, 2005, 4:30 AM

Post #1 of 20 (11147 views)
Shortcut
poop eating...why? and possibly some solutions! Can't Post

chanced by this article on poop and furkids:

Dog Tip: Stopping Dogs From Eating Poop (Coprophagia)

Does your dog have a dirty little secret?

A number of readers have contacted us about dogs who munch their own or other animals' feces. Here is background on the condition known as coprophagia, and what you can do to discourage doggie-do-eaters from this somewhat common, natural behavior that strikes humans as a disgusting gustatory pastime.

Background and principles:

* Coprophagia is a condition that compels dogs to consume feces.

* Why does the dog engage in this habit? A dog may ingest fecal matter for various reasons:

He may be hungry and has no access to real food.

You may be feeding a food lacking in sufficient nutrients and/or not appropriate for your particular dog.

When a dog is fed low-quality and/or inappropriate dog food, he feels compelled to eat more of it in an attempt to satisfy his body's craving for nutrients. As a result, the dog is ingesting excess food, and a large proportion of the food goes through his digestive system undigested. The resulting stools smell and look fairly close to the food that the dog previously consumed, so the dog tries to consume the 'food' again. This is not just a vulgar habit; it is a cry for health. The dog needs a better diet that will enable him to absorb the nutrients his body needs.

When dogs consume feces from other animals, they may be seeking minerals lacking in their regular dog food.

The dog may be consuming feces out of boredom, loneliness, anxiety or stress.

A dog who is confined to a kennel, chained, or restricted to a small yard or other space may eat his feces to occupy himself or clean his personal space. This dog needs to be exercised and played with several times a day.

Some breeds instinctively like to carry things in their mouths. Picking up feces and carrying it around may signal that the dog needs more daily exercise, mental stimulation and interaction with his people.

A yard or kennel where stools are allowed to pile up may prompt a dog to 'clean up' his stools. Be sure to clean the dog's area every day, and preferably right after the dog eliminates.

The emotional stress of being left alone or restricted to a small area for long periods of time without the companionship of the caregiver can result, for some dogs, in the eating of his own feces.

Internal parasites may lead a dog to consume feces, because the parasites can leach nutrients from the host animal's system. Thus, the dog will feel unusually hungry.

If a dog is punished for defecating in the house, she may eat her feces in order to hide the evidence and avoid punishment. Typically, when a dog defecates indoors, it is because she feels unable to hold it. It is a myth that dogs poop indoors for spite; spite is a human, not a canine, emotion. More responsive management and training by the owner is the solution, not punishment. Also realize that elimination in the house can be a sign of a health or medical problem, from parasites to a serious condition.

* Sometimes a mother dog will eat the feces of her pups out of a natural instinct to hide evidence of her offspring from predators.

* It is common for many puppies to taste and try to eat feces. Some researchers even suggest that some components of feces actually can stimulate the brain and immune function in young animals. However, that possible benefit is far outweighed by the health risks of ingesting excrement. Prevention is the wisest practice. Don't let the pups indulge, and they won't develop a taste for excrement ... and won't develop this habit.

* Prevention is better than treatment in mature dogs as well, since coprophagia is usually self-rewarding, meaning that the act of ingesting the feces is satisfying to the dog so he is likely to repeat the undesired behavior.

Solutions:

* Change the dog's diet. Buy or prepare only nutritious, quality food that is formulated for the dog's age, breed and any medical issues.

* For the dog who may be hungry, try feeding him a little more, and make sure you feed a quality, nutritious food that is appropriate for the age and type of canine.

* Take the dog to your veterinarian for an examination for underlying medical and health problems, parasites and other problems that may be compelling him to eat feces.

* Clean up after your pet, right after he goes - before he has a chance to eat his poop. Stopping access is one key to stopping this habit.

* Walk the dog on leash so that you are in a better position to tell the dog 'leave it' and to physically keep the dog from trying to sniff and eat stools. Always praise your dog for listening. You can also reinforce the verbal praise with tidbits carried in a pouch.

* As soon as the dog starts approaching excrement, tell her 'nah-ah-ahhh' or 'leave it!', and distract her with praise supported with a treat, clicker click, playtime or other action or activity that is appealing to the dog. This will convey the idea that it is more rewarding to attend to you than to attend to poop. As soon as she turns her attention to her, praise her ('Good dog!') and reward her. A wise practice is to always carry appealing tidbit treats, a favorite toy, clicker - something you can always use to effectively gain your dog's attention and reinforce desired behaviors. Once you get her attention, give her something positive to do. For example, tell her to 'Sit', reward her for listening, then proceed to an enjoyable activity such as playing or walking together. Distract her from undesired things like feces, and substitute a good, desired behavior such as sitting and attending to you. A dog who is interacting with her owner can't be investigating poop at the same time.

* If the dog is defecating in the house, the dog needs to be fed and walked on a schedule that allows her to eliminate before the owner leaves her alone for the day and before bedtime. The dog also may need housetraining help. Teach the dog instead of punishing her; this is the sensible and effective approach. Also, visit the vet to see if a medical condition is the underlying cause of the dog eliminating indoors.

* If a pup or dog is pooping in his crate, make sure he gets more exercise and has the chance to eliminate before placing him in his crate. Also, read about crate training. Dogs naturally do not like to poop or urinate in their living quarters, so a dog who potties in the crate needs you to help crate-train him properly ... and perhaps a trip to the vet to rule out medical problems that may underlie an inability to 'hold it' for a few hours. However, also realize that pups can't physically hold their elimination for more than one to three hours, and that it is not healthy or kind to crate adult dogs for more than 5 to 6 hours a day. Take the time to properly train your dog so that he can be left alone in the house, in a pet-safe area instead of confined in a crate.

* There are products that you can apply to the stools that will discourage your dog from consuming them. Some are available from pet supply stores and others from veterinarians. These include Forbid.

* Some alternatives to drugs that work for some:

Add two to four tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the food bowl each day. Pumpkin apparently tastes good in food, but repugnant when expelled in excrement.

Add a spoon (teaspoon or tablespoon depending on the dog's size) of canned pineapple, pineapple juice or spinach to the dog's food.

Add some meat tenderizer or MSG to the dog's food.

Coat stools, following elimination, with hot sauce or lemon juice. Or booby trap sample stools by penetrating some left in the yard with hot sauce.

* Block the dog's access to any kitty litter boxes to keep him from developing a taste for kitty tootsie rolls ... or to help break a habit that has already formed. Keep the litter box in a room that the cat, but not the dog, can access. Or place a lid over the box that only the cat can access. Or place a baby gate around the box that has openings too small for the dog.

* Coprophagia can be a hard habit to break since it is self-reinforcing, but do not be discouraged. Follow these tips and give them a chance to work.

* In summary, the steps to stopping poop-eating are: feed a complete, nutrient-packed and balanced diet; provide lots of exercise, playtime and interaction; keep living spaces, crates, kennels and yard clean; avoid confining the dog for long periods of time; and take him to your veterinarian for a health checkup.

Toy
K9 Maniac

Jun 1, 2005, 7:46 PM

Post #2 of 20 (11121 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] poop eating...why? and possibly some solutions! [In reply to] Can't Post

yo dude,

what a detailed explanation, but most probably no more posting in this section duh..

a_evie
Doggyman

Jun 2, 2005, 1:55 AM

Post #3 of 20 (11114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Toy] poop eating...why? and possibly some solutions! [In reply to] Can't Post

i doubt so...coz i know of folks whose dogs still love their own poopies despite having tried all d above...

the post is just to help any who may not have tried d above mar.

and also there's probably posting son whether d tips worked or not. pineapple worked on mine...but i have to give her pineapaple everyday lar!

lois_wong
Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2005, 11:38 PM

Post #4 of 20 (10609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] poop eating...why? and possibly some solutions! [In reply to] Can't Post

Siew Jeh,

Pineapple not harmful meh? Good for the digestion? Afraid abit coz yono pineapple is not good for health if take too much lei...

warmest regards,
FrownloisFrown

Frownhug from cAsPeR boy
Frownkiss from Heidi gal

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 2, 2005, 2:57 AM

Post #5 of 20 (10593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lois_wong] poop eating...why? and possibly some solutions! [In reply to] Can't Post

a bit ok lar...we don't feed shalom pineapples everyday lor...

lois_wong
Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2005, 5:40 PM

Post #6 of 20 (10583 views)
Shortcut

orite, will try it out! thks. Wink

warmest regards,
FrownloisFrown

Frownhug from cAsPeR boy
Frownkiss from Heidi gal

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 2, 2005, 7:20 PM

Post #7 of 20 (10571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lois_wong] poop eating...why? and possibly some solutions! [In reply to] Can't Post

who's the rascal eating poop? casper or marie?

lois_wong
Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2005, 9:27 PM

Post #8 of 20 (10565 views)
Shortcut

caseper lo, if said not enuf feed oso not lei, i feed quite alot 1-2cups (have u seen the cup given when u purchased the SD?), that's quite alot for a medium breed like him. I scare overweight so average i feed 1 cup per day not include any treats yet! a-vday treats lo sometime human food (will the human food caused that?). He just like hungry ghost, a-vthing wallop...Crazy nvr feel full..

warmest regards,
FrownloisFrown

Frownhug from cAsPeR boy
Frownkiss from Heidi gal

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 2, 2005, 9:45 PM

Post #9 of 20 (10560 views)
Shortcut

ah...casper. but ever occurred that he is "hungry" out of boredom? and boredom includes eating poop to self entertain?

anyhow..try d pineapple. 1 teaspoon a day enuf for a little fella like him. if does not work...let me know...i'll pas u some tablets during jt that we have for poop eating kids.

lois_wong
Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2005, 10:28 PM

Post #10 of 20 (10558 views)
Shortcut

at 1st i was thinking the same, but no lei. I let him out only he will have that bad attitude. during working days, i'll cage him only goto work, when i go home his 'biz' still there lei ..wonder why he so naughty...he know that he did wrong but still do it and when he did it, his ears will drop forever like begging u to forgive him..really kek sei ngor la...Pirate

warmest regards,
FrownloisFrown

Frownhug from cAsPeR boy
Frownkiss from Heidi gal

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 3, 2005, 12:34 AM

Post #11 of 20 (10541 views)
Shortcut

reckon he likes ur attention that he gets when you get angry.

btw...necessary to cage him? try giving him full license to roam.

also...no point screaming ur heads off when he eats poopy unless yiu catch him in action eating.

shalom when punished for her naughty acts that i dont see her in action only results in her being naughtier. so these days, if she eats up my plants and flowers (quite rare) i just clean up the mess quietly unless i catch her in action with the flowers or plants in her mouth or her room.

oh btw...his "biz" still there. chevk it carefully...got teeth marks? shalom used to leave 90% of the poop behind..so i thought she did not eat poopy. but when i studied closer..can see some punctured marks (ie teeth marks).

lois_wong
Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2005, 12:57 AM

Post #12 of 20 (10540 views)
Shortcut

i tried b4 to let him roam around lei, but too bad..he ended up a mess to me...guess what? he bite my mat sumore took it and put on my new bought sofa. second time was in the washroom, pull all the toilet paper out and he just like mummy, dono whether want to scold or laugh...Unsure so he ended up in lokap for punishment..& each time he eating the poo, he will automatically hiding in the cage, even u ask him to come he will like pretending dono and the ears'll drop..

oh, actually i didn't check the teeth marks mayb later when i go home check & see. what's the use eating the pineapple? sweet n sour!

warmest regards,
FrownloisFrown

Frownhug from cAsPeR boy
Frownkiss from Heidi gal

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 3, 2005, 2:09 AM

Post #13 of 20 (10530 views)
Shortcut

of course he won't come..."come" = punishment for something i dunno what is wrong.

toilet roll is always fun for d kids lar. so these days all toilet rolls are kept far up.

pineapaple helps digestion..so he won't eat his poop if d reason for poopy eating is beacuse he is not digesting his kibbles well. a week after pineapple and while still on pineapple, you may want to try cutting down on his treats. reason for the cutting down of treats is that i noted that geri and shalom both go for their poop a little more when they are on commercial treats.

one of my groomer friend also cut out commercial treats..and suprisingly her furkid (poopy eater) stopped eating his poopy wor.

lois_wong
Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2005, 5:47 PM

Post #14 of 20 (10513 views)
Shortcut

hahaha..but he's not puppy anymore and he knew that will be wrong if he did it. Any how i'll try the pineapple method if still kenot maybe i shud get you to gimme the tablet on 1 of the jt time.

is shalom still having that problem? problem's been resolved?

warmest regards,
FrownloisFrown

Frownhug from cAsPeR boy
Frownkiss from Heidi gal

(This post was edited by lois_wong on Aug 3, 2005, 5:48 PM)

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 3, 2005, 8:10 PM

Post #15 of 20 (10495 views)
Shortcut

95% ok.

5% when she decides she wants to be punished or just is bored...the nature of our jobs..sometimes she gets to be left on her own devices a bit too long so she'll play d rascal and disturb her poop, play god and decide which plant lives..fish d terrapins out of their tank...sigh...

but she's a good girl in general.

no prob on the tabs. i can pass u 1 week supply. if it works u can continue another week to be sure casper forgets to play or eat his poopy

lois_wong
Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2005, 9:15 PM

Post #16 of 20 (10493 views)
Shortcut

heeheh..sounds funny when she plays d rascal but better than mine.

anyway, thanks first for the tabs. i'lll let yono when i join jt b4 a day so u can bring along. btw, what the tabs. used for? for digestion as well..?

warmest regards,
FrownloisFrown

Frownhug from cAsPeR boy
Frownkiss from Heidi gal

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 3, 2005, 9:24 PM

Post #17 of 20 (10486 views)
Shortcut

supposedly it makes poopy yucky to furkids.

lois_wong
Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2005, 7:55 PM

Post #18 of 20 (10476 views)
Shortcut

mind to tell me what brand is the tabs. hehe thanks.

warmest regards,
FrownloisFrown

Frownhug from cAsPeR boy
Frownkiss from Heidi gal

(This post was edited by Admin on Aug 9, 2005, 11:01 PM)

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 5, 2005, 12:13 AM

Post #19 of 20 (10472 views)
Shortcut

deter 8in1

one box with many tablets (3 strips i think).

lois_wong
Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2005, 6:47 PM

Post #20 of 20 (10405 views)
Shortcut

ic..ic...okok..lok-lok around then, tq veli muchii

warmest regards,
FrownloisFrown

Frownhug from cAsPeR boy
Frownkiss from Heidi gal

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my