ckkoo28
Novice

May 20, 2005, 8:20 AM

Post #1 of 163 (49216 views)
Shortcut
CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER Can't Post

Hello,

to those who are a LABRADOR lover,

Looking for info exchange and chit-chat.

I am the Labrador lover and wish we can bring the dog get together for sport and fun.

Since the breed are very sporting and good in swimming and retrieving why not we have some fun for them.

I do run with "Bonnie" at least 3 times a week about 10km each time in between she also like to swim and retriev for 15 minute before finish the run,she like to do it very much.

Hopefully those are the Labrador lover can get together for sport and fun.

Lablover

Toy
K9 Maniac

May 21, 2005, 3:59 AM

Post #2 of 163 (49181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ckkoo28] CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont own any labrador but i love them as well, am i welcome? just wish to share something.. 1 day i saw a pure bred labrador which is abandoned, he always roaming around so i always feed him outside. but then sadly somebody complained to MPXX, then i think the dog get caught.. poor thing..

cvlew
Novice

May 27, 2005, 4:13 AM

Post #3 of 163 (49142 views)
Shortcut

hi,
I have a female labrador. Her name is Many, about 9 months old.

.Lab
Enthusiast

May 29, 2005, 11:39 PM

Post #4 of 163 (49128 views)
Shortcut

Cool! I'm a Labrador lover too! I don't have a purebred but Hazel is more than half-Lab. Hence my username.

Yes they are very sporting. Hazel loves to go for jogs but when she sees a cat or another dog she goes bonkers. Hazel likes to retrieve and play fetch with me. She needs to shed a few pounds, good idea!

.Lab Frown Frown

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hazel = A Terror in Disguise!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Toy
K9 Maniac

May 30, 2005, 12:30 AM

Post #5 of 163 (49127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [.Lab] CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER [In reply to] Can't Post

well do your lab swim? most lab love swimming.

.Lab
Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2005, 11:11 PM

Post #6 of 163 (49075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Toy] CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER [In reply to] Can't Post

On the Paws Day she went for a short paddle but then ran out to play with 2 GRs. Crazy How to make her stay in the pond = headache. Next time I bring her there((Is pestering parents to bring Hazel there for fun)), I'm gonna rope my tennis ball through and throw into water then slowly retrieve. Have to teach her: Stay in water, fun!

.Lab Frown Frown

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hazel = A Terror in Disguise!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ckkoo28
Novice

Jun 2, 2005, 7:11 PM

Post #7 of 163 (49065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Toy] CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER [In reply to] Can't Post

yesterday I run with Bonnie for 10 km and she also swim and fetch about 15 minutes in waterfall before we finish our run.

Kevin Chuan
ALPHA

Jun 9, 2005, 4:57 AM

Post #8 of 163 (49021 views)
Shortcut

Hi there... my friend has a 4 months old black lab pups wish to sell it very cheap due to he is old and can't take care of too many dogs, selling at only 650 without cert.

anyone interested? location penang, he can't send the pups to you only own collection.

npk
Dog Kichi

Jul 10, 2005, 6:32 AM

Post #9 of 163 (48976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kevin Chuan] CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER [In reply to] Can't Post

Kevin,

NPK

(This post was edited by Admin on Sep 26, 2005, 9:58 PM)

Kevin Chuan
ALPHA

Jul 10, 2005, 7:03 AM

Post #10 of 163 (48970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [npk] CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey NPK,

I'm sorry but to tell you that the black lab pup have been sold last month a week after I post at this forum.

Where are you from by the way, and will help you to keep an eye on it when there are lab. pup available again. My contact info: 0.1.2.4.8.8.5.1.8.0

Gurkha
Novice

Sep 12, 2005, 6:23 PM

Post #11 of 163 (48888 views)
Shortcut

Hi ckkoo28,

Good morning to you. Read your interesting thread about the activities that you do with your Lab. Mind sharing with us your experience in training up your Lab for a 10km run ? How did you get started ? Where you bought your Lab from ? Did you do any puppy selection test before making your pruchase ?

Thanks for sharing.

natasha_fernz

Sep 16, 2005, 12:37 AM

Post #12 of 163 (48855 views)
Shortcut

hi,

my Cleo is 11months at the moment and she loves to go running too. She does about 4km at the moment cause I don't want to over-do it just yet.

But I'd really like to know where you take your lab swimming? Cleo loves the water but we don't know where we can go so that she can have a swim... we actually bought her a 8 feet wide by 2 feet deep pool in the house, but it's difficult to keep filling it with water cause it takes a long time and when we put it up there's no space for the cars... and i think she'd prefer a waterfall or river or something... let me know

Natasha Fernz
Frown

CLEOPATRA'S Blog:MAD ABOUT LABRADOR RETRIEVERS

(This post was edited by natasha_fernz on Sep 16, 2005, 12:45 AM)

Natasha
Dog Kichi

Jan 17, 2006, 7:10 AM

Post #13 of 163 (48640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [.Lab] CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Cool! I'm a Labrador lover too! I don't have a purebred but Hazel is more than half-Lab. Hence my username.

Yes they are very sporting. Hazel loves to go for jogs but when she sees a cat or another dog she goes bonkers. Hazel likes to retrieve and play fetch with me. She needs to shed a few pounds, good idea!

Heya .Lab ...

do you have a msn messenger ?

scout
Dog Kichi

Jan 24, 2006, 6:19 AM

Post #14 of 163 (48574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [natasha_fernz] CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER [In reply to] Can't Post

hello natasha_fernz,

i would like to know, how do you train your dog not to run away? when I let scout lose (to run in the park, etc) i am always scared that he runs after someone or some stray cat!!! And he does , that's why he is always on a leash.

How do you actually teach a dog not to get distracted and just run or swim??? Maybe i have pampered my boy too much... hence the "untrained" personality in him Frown... any advice?

cheers!

natasha_fernz

Jan 26, 2006, 11:24 PM

Post #15 of 163 (48554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scout] CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello...

Well first of all I think it's always best to keep your dog on a leash even if he is very well behaved. This is mainly for their own safety. You never know what can happen. He may get startled by a loud motorbike or car and may be frightened and might run across the road when he shouldn't.

I am of the opinion that you should only let your dog loose once you have mastered the recall exercise. This takes a lot of practice! Cleo is still not very good ta this either... but labs tend to mature alot later than other dogs, so don't push Scout too hard. They're still considered puppies until about 2.5 years. You should make sure you spend at least 15 minutes twice a day doing basic obedience exercises with him. Reward him alot... Cleo gets small bits of treats and lots of praises everytime she does what she's told. And don't get frustrated if he doesn't listen. Just keep doing it. and when he gets better, reduce the number of treats and just reward with praises and pet him a lot.

Cleo's recall is much better than what it was before. She now runs to me when she's called whereas previously she decides when she want to come back to me. There are still times when she doesn't listen esp if she gets distracted. But I've not given up on her and she hasn't failed me.

The other day when we were at the beach, my fiance accidentally let go of the leash adn Cleo went racing away!!! She can run really fast and we panicked and started chasing her! To our horror she ran even faster and we couldn't keep up. Seriously labs run very fast. So then I stopped and I yelled Cleo!!! but in a happy voice! she stopped and looked at me, then I shouted Come here! together with the hand signal that we normally practice with cause she was really far away, and luckily she thought it was her exercise time, and she came charging back to us!!! So keep practicing!!! I do it every morning. I am still not entirely sure if she'll come back if something catches her attention though. good luck with it...
Natasha Fernz
Frown

scout
Dog Kichi

Feb 2, 2006, 7:19 AM

Post #16 of 163 (48532 views)
Shortcut

Ohhh... thanks for your advice. By the way, how do you teach them to "recall"? Forgive my ignorance... Unsure, been meaning to send Scout for obedience classes, but guess who got lazy?

Scout only comes when he wants to and when there is food. Everytime we call him, we can see him looking at us while his nose twitch (smelling for food). If he sniffed something he likes, then he will come. That's how spoil he is... i'm afraid it's all my own doing... oh man...

natasha_fernz

Feb 6, 2006, 11:16 PM

Post #17 of 163 (48495 views)
Shortcut

Hi again

To start recall exercises... try putting Scout on a leash. make him sit on your left side... then tell him to Stay... put your hand in front of his face and say Stay (and mean it). Then walk away with your right foot first and make sure he still sits there... walk straight ahead and don't look at him till you reach the end of your leash. Then turn around and face him. Wait for a short while... 10 seconds or so, and then call him to you... I use both my arms to motion Cleo to me and then pull the leash slightly so that he comes to you... once he reaches you, pet him and praise him and give him a treat...

then tell him to stay, and back away from him till you reach the end of the leash... again call him and pull on the leash a little and praise and pet him loads with a treat too... he'll get the idea...

then when he starts coming to you without you tugging on the leash... make him sit right in front of you before giving him a treat... later you can drop the leash and he should come to you... once you've managed this, try doing it without hte leash... but again I should stress that off elash training should only be in areas where it is safe with a fence and where your dog cannot escape... cause the roads in Malaysia are really dangerous and you don't want to lose your dog!

As for obedience classes... i took Cleo to puppy class and she wasn't too bad at it... she passed... but pre-novice was a bit too much for her cause she was still incredibly playful... so she failed it although she can do all the exercises really well when she wants to... so I've decided to train her at home for now and then send her for classes when she's a bit older cause the pre-novice lessons are a bit too serious for labs at this age.

Good luck with Scout!
Natasha Fernz
Frown

scout
Dog Kichi

Feb 7, 2006, 9:03 PM

Post #18 of 163 (48477 views)
Shortcut

Hi Natasha,

Thank you again. I will try the recall exercise on Scout. Will update you on his progress.

Oh.. I always make sure that Scout is only free of a leash when the surrounding are save. Am just wondering, those people that send their dog for training with MKA and the Gasing roundabout there... isn't it a little unsafe? The place is not gated, and it's just beside the main road. During trainings, I see that owners have to let go of the leashes to train their dogs (to wait, recall, sit, etc.) Hmmmm..

I also heard that some trainings we are to use choke chain? I don't particularly like that idea. Have you used that on Cleo? Is it safe?

Cheers, grace

natasha_fernz

Feb 10, 2006, 7:18 PM

Post #19 of 163 (48447 views)
Shortcut

Hi again Grace

I don't know where MKS conducts their training... but I'm guessing that those who are required to drop their leashes should already be in a pretty advanced class... but even so I feel that training should always be in a fenced area... Puppy.Com conducts their training in Taman Desa which is mostly fenced. There are some areas that are open, but I guess traffic there isn't as bad...

As for choke chains, I think everyone knows I HATE them. I don't think that you should ever use the choke chain if you are not comfortable with it. Don't be intimidated by instructors if they insist that you should use it. Just say NO. I personally like using the Halti and positive re-inforcement. I've put up a few articles on Halti training and the problems with Choke Chain training on Cleo's website... you can take a look at it there.
Natasha Fernz
Frown

simchi

Jun 2, 2006, 7:13 AM

Post #20 of 163 (48313 views)
Shortcut

where gone the labrador owners/lovers ?

fevercrash
Novice

Jun 5, 2006, 3:26 AM

Post #21 of 163 (48291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simchi] CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER [In reply to] Can't Post

Here I am with my Rocky..Tongue He is a handsome & healthy 6++Months old Male Yellow Lab..haha..any gals labrador interested to befriend with my Rocky..Laugh..some of the basic tricks he knows including Sit, Down, Hand, Come & ofcourse NO!..Wink..now i am working on getting him to do Roll Over tricks..hehe

(This post was edited by fevercrash on Jun 5, 2006, 3:30 AM)

simchi

Jun 5, 2006, 6:21 AM

Post #22 of 163 (48284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fevercrash] CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER [In reply to] Can't Post

hello fevercrash my girl is around 7-8 months , another yellow labbie .

give rocky a nice squeeze for me now :)

fevercrash
Novice

Jun 6, 2006, 12:55 AM

Post #23 of 163 (48274 views)
Shortcut

wuaha..nice..hope someday can let my Rocky befriends with ur girl..who knows they gonna fall in love yea just jkWink..add my MSN Messenger tzeweigoh@h o t m a i l.com I will glad if we can share experience that we have with our furkid..

simchi

Jun 6, 2006, 1:38 AM

Post #24 of 163 (48269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fevercrash] CALLING ALL THE LABRADOR LOVER [In reply to] Can't Post

lol , she has only met 3 boy friends ..anyway added you on msn already :) ..so are you going for the dog olympic day on the 18th ?

fevercrash
Novice

Jun 6, 2006, 4:10 AM

Post #25 of 163 (48265 views)
Shortcut

dog olympic day on the 18th? where is it? KL? i don't think i can make it la cos i am frm Kelantan..Frown..sien..

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my