Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Walking on Leash!

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 2, 2003, 1:33 AM

Post #1 of 24 (2905 views)
Shortcut
Walking on Leash! Can't Post

Cookie(my dog) is reluctant to walk when i bring him outdoor.He'll just lie down on the floor and refuse to walk.I know it's becoz he's afraid of the unfamiliar surroundings.Or izzit he's not comfortable with the leash?

Anyone here found any threads in this forum about training your dog to walk on leash?If so do post the link ok? For those "sifus" with lots of experience.PLEASE ADVICE!!

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

cdmoo
ALPHA

Apr 2, 2003, 1:47 AM

Post #2 of 24 (2899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamchooi] Walking on Leash! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Adam,

It could be due to new environment, and secondly it's hot out there Smile (when did u take him out? )

I don't think it's due to leash..
regards,

CD Moo

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 3, 2003, 6:49 AM

Post #3 of 24 (2885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Walking on Leash! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear cdmoo,

It's probably both i guess, we went to padang merbuk last sunday.It's so hot on that day and maybe he hasn't seen so many dogs in his life before.But we went for a walk yesterday everning and he seems to be getting the idea and i think he enjoyed it since he was jumping in the car after the outing.Went home and slept till the morning.Boy!he was darn tired i can tell u.But it's worth it i guess.He seems so happy!Laugh

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

milooh

Apr 3, 2003, 7:34 AM

Post #4 of 24 (2883 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, I am not a sifu but I know that Iris, my second dog, shuts down like that when she is stressed out and scared about something.

Were there a lot of people when both of you went for a walk that evening? If not, Cookie must thought it was safe but the experience still stressed him out. Plus the fact that he slept the whole night proves that he was mentally tired too.

Maybe you should tell Cookie that new dogs and people are ok. To do this, why dont you start with your back yard first. Bring some tasty snacks and call Cookie to you. Praise and reward him with snacks every time he looks at you or pays attention to you. The key is to have him focus on you instead of his surroundings. Try this out first before tackling the leash issue. Hope this helps.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 3, 2003, 8:04 AM

Post #5 of 24 (2876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] Walking on Leash! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear milooh,

Thanks for the advice,I'll try your method ASAP.

There were a lot of dogs and ppl around on that day.But i think he's only afraid of the dogs and the surroundings,but not ppl.A lot of ppl came over to pat him and u can see his tail waging non stop.My girlfriend said he's better off with ppl than with dogs.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

milooh

Apr 3, 2003, 8:18 AM

Post #6 of 24 (2874 views)
Shortcut

Cookie is better off with you when you need him to focus on you and not other dogs. But playtime with other dogs is good too. Also, socialize Cookie with other nice dogs so that he knows dogs are ok. Keep me updated. Have fun and good luck.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 3, 2003, 9:16 AM

Post #7 of 24 (2870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] Walking on Leash! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your support and advice!

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

wkser
ALPHA

Apr 4, 2003, 7:36 PM

Post #8 of 24 (2850 views)
Shortcut

hi adam,

maybe you can try to leash walk you furkid around your house then slowly proceed to further distance.......Wink

regards
kangser and nous

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 4, 2003, 11:06 PM

Post #9 of 24 (2845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Walking on Leash! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys,

Yesterday I put Sparkle on a leash to 'practice' early with him first. But the moment I put it on, he was jumping all over trying to free himself....tries to pull his neck out of it. And he was whining and crying so loudly all the time like it was hurting him. Wah..really sakit hati to hear him cry like that. I took it out immediately and he merajuk-ed for a while. *sigh*

My missing dog Richie used to jump in joy whenever we reached for the leash cause that means 'walk walk' time for him! Unsure

ffredlee

Apr 5, 2003, 9:27 PM

Post #10 of 24 (2824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Walking on Leash! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gosh, I understand you totally...but in my case my Bobby is totally scared of leash, chain...whatever that may mean no freedom to him...I did not chain him up..but I believe he saw our other mongrels on leash. I guess that's bother him.

But I brought him out some time to walk on the beach..without leash. He's totally ok, he won't run on his own, he come when I bid him, and he normally wait for me if I am too tired. I guess, the surrounding does effect your dog. Choose a better surrounding, with less distraction, for walking, it helps.

Freda

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 6, 2003, 6:54 AM

Post #11 of 24 (2817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ffredlee] Walking on Leash! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear ffredlee,

I envy u!Unsure

With there r beaches in kl for me to walk on! I love beach!!!!!!!

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

ffredlee

Apr 7, 2003, 2:26 AM

Post #12 of 24 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Dear Adamchooi,

Aiyahh, KL hah?!Crazy. What about some secluded area in Port Dickson?

I live in Sabah, where beaches is no problem for me..in fact we have an open space where my Bobby and Kirara runs freely..except Kirara, we have to put her on leash because she's terribly naughty and got into yucky ditch water whenever she's free. Sly

Cheers,

Freda

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 7, 2003, 7:43 AM

Post #13 of 24 (2802 views)
Shortcut

I'm getting really jealous now!Mad

To have a home by the beach where your dogs can run freely!

What else can u can for?

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

ffredlee

Apr 7, 2003, 8:22 PM

Post #14 of 24 (2793 views)
Shortcut

Don't be like that lah...there's pro and cons to it, compare to west m'sia, we have very limited resources..we depend mostly on our animal health centre. I envy u guys who can get in touch with MKA, PAWS, RSPCA...etc. That's why I am so trill to get in touch with many people here with experience in dogs/pups. We are not so lucky...if we want to adopt pups, we have to go back like stoneage people..ask friends or worst buy lah...anyway. To train dog , we have to train them ourself..no furkids..obedient class.Crazy

One more lerrr..I just missed the dog competition in KDCA end Mac..I have to wait til Sept for another one, Me so heart sicklah.Frown

Cheer up.

Freda

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 8, 2003, 3:27 AM

Post #15 of 24 (2783 views)
Shortcut

Dear ffredlee,

U mean ppl at your area adopt pure breeds easily?Here we have to buy from breeders.I hardly know anyone that give away their pure breed dogs.If any of u ppl reading this,do contact me k?looking for a dog for my gf.

Good luck on your upcoming competition!

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

ffredlee

Apr 8, 2003, 6:19 PM

Post #16 of 24 (2778 views)
Shortcut

Not adopt, have to buylah. I asked one breed, he's selling it for RM900.Crazy. It's a Rottie thorough breed.

That's great..giving ur girl a pup. My bf gave me my Bobby, he's a goldie mix.Laugh..then I bought Kirara german sherpard mix from gaya street, they're selling mix breed round 100-200 each.

If you really want a pup to adopt, it's a lot easier in KL, RSPCA, PAWs...

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 9, 2003, 1:10 AM

Post #17 of 24 (2771 views)
Shortcut

Ic.My gf want either Miniature schnauzer or Bichon Frise ($$$$$$$$). Can't find any Bichon in malaysia yet.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

ffredlee

Apr 10, 2003, 6:58 PM

Post #18 of 24 (2756 views)
Shortcut

I read in another forum that says instead of choosing the puppy, why not let let the pup choose you. Gosh, that's so true.. my Bobby choose me and love me when I saw him with my bf, now he loves me more instead of my bf..I never like puppy as a pet before I met my Bobby, Kirara is my second puppy...I won't have thought I am going to care for puppies before. they cahange your mind instantly.

Anyway goodluck for your quest.

Freda

TohCS
Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2003, 3:11 AM

Post #19 of 24 (2743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Walking on Leash! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi cshellz,

Sorry I not sure how I should call you....

ok as for walking on leash....maybe you can start first by just leaving the leash on the dog (at home) and let it run around pulling the leash along. BUT having said that do keep an eye on him when you do that cause you don't want him to get tangle up to anything. Just leave the leash on him and let him play around free (in the house) . This will get him used to the leash. then slowly you hold the leash and get him to walk along.
Just my two cents Wink

Good luck.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 11, 2003, 7:00 AM

Post #20 of 24 (2740 views)
Shortcut

U read it under the irresponsible petshop thread? Trivor stated that first and then i elaborated more on that issue.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 11, 2003, 5:22 PM

Post #21 of 24 (2735 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TohCS] Walking on Leash! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!! Smile Will try that out but have to closely monitor him. He runs about like a crazy pup when it's play time and will climb everywhere! just have to make sure the leash doesn't knock anything over too!! Wink

angekok

Apr 23, 2003, 12:35 AM

Post #22 of 24 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Hie, adam...

bichon frise is a white angel... it's no doubt why ur gf wants it... anyway, i saw a pup at the mid valley's pet's world (i think that's the rite name)... prolly 2 mths back... it cost at least 2-3K coz it's imported ... can't really recall the price....

Anyway, good luck to u!!

Cheers ~~

Lots of Doggies' Love, Ange.

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 23, 2003, 2:56 AM

Post #23 of 24 (2693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [angekok] Walking on Leash! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello angekok,

U saw a bichon frise at pet's wonderland? Yeah,they r like angels but with afro hair style.Laugh

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

angekok

Apr 23, 2003, 9:19 PM

Post #24 of 24 (2680 views)
Shortcut

hehehe! can't tahan these angels hair style.... Crazy very da fashionable....

Lots of Doggies' Love, Ange.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my