Digging - bad?!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Apr 1, 2003, 10:29 PM

Post #1 of 41 (6094 views)
Shortcut
Digging - bad?! Can't Post

I'm just wonder is digging consider bad behaviour? Last night I took JOJO for a walk together with my hubby, when we reached a sand hill, in fact there were few sand hills, JOJO so happy that she jumping up and down, climbing up and down too - along all the 'hills'. Then we asked her dig, she understand and she start digging so deep from one hill to another according where we pointed. We were so happy and laughing towards her action.

Later I found out from book that we should avoid dog go for digging because it is consider a bad behaviour. Am I doing the wrong thing? That teaching jojo DIG? I though Dig is consider part of dog exercise?

Anyone any comments?
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 1, 2003, 10:35 PM

Post #2 of 41 (6090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] Digging - bad?! [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of ppl considers digging a bad thing coz if u hv a dog that loves to dig, you'll end up having lots of holes in your garden....they just love to redecorate your whole garden for u Tongue

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Apr 1, 2003, 11:52 PM

Post #3 of 41 (6086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Digging - bad?! [In reply to] Can't Post

yea.. sometimes i will see one or two holes in my garden near her sleeping place. Crazy I just don't be bother..don't you think is good for them to dig so that they will naturally cut their nails by doing this? Shocked when times i see her digging and she look so 'ken cheong' (excited) like got gold inside the soil i feel very funny.. hahahaha Sly

TohCS
Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2003, 3:15 AM

Post #4 of 41 (6077 views)
Shortcut

Hi Shirley,

Dogs loves to dig . Digging and uprooting plants is paradise to them. Crazy
What some people do is "set an area" for digging. When I say "set an area" it means only allow your dog to dig in a designated area/corner .Provide a sand pit in this corner , just like the "hill" you found when you take your dog for a walk. But when your dog digs else where in the garden where all your plant are give it a NO! then encourage it to dig only at the "set area". Just an idea. But most people will completely discourage digging. But then digging is a dogs nature. As for me I cemented my garden so there is no garden for my dogs to dig. Guess I am not a plant lover so no plants at home is fine by me.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 2, 2003, 3:25 AM

Post #5 of 41 (6075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TohCS] Digging - bad?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Richie used to dog ONLY the potted plants! We have a garden but he never digs there. He used to drive my mum up the walls....the worst was one instant where she hand carried a a pot of expensive baby palm all the way from her friend's house....and it was growing so well and all..until the four legged digger came and ended the poor plant's life. Unimpressed

Wouldn't it be hard to train them only to dig at a particular spot? It's their nature to dig but I'd rather not allow them to dig. Even if your house don't have a garden, but when they are used to it, they might end up digging someone else's garden

TohCS
Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2003, 3:39 AM

Post #6 of 41 (6073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Digging - bad?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeap, that's why I cemented my garden so now I don't even have a garden. I dont even keep potted plants haa haaa. Actually it makes a good excuse for me not to keep plants as I am lazy to take care of them. But many people love plants so what some did is plant some food under a certain degsinated sand pit and encourage the dog to dig there only. Yeah not an easy task but can be done. As for me I am to lazy to bother so I cemented to place and my poor dog (in particular my beagle cause beagle loves to dig and dig) have no where to dig. Poor girl.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)

(This post was edited by TohCS on Apr 2, 2003, 3:46 AM)

wkser
ALPHA

Apr 4, 2003, 7:32 PM

Post #7 of 41 (6059 views)
Shortcut

hi,

nous liek digging...he dg out all my parents plant and he hide is toy in the hole he digged......Wink

regards
kangser and nous

tyler-myler
Dog Kichi

Apr 30, 2003, 7:54 PM

Post #8 of 41 (6027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Digging - bad?! [In reply to] Can't Post

my parents and me once had an spitz and then a mixed breed that loved to dig at a certain spot in the garden, we did not like this behaviour as it ruined my dads prized patch of grass.. since it was just supposed to be a grassy area what we did was to cover it with fine chicken wire mesh, (the one with the hexagonal shaped holes about 2-3cm wide) on the ground. what it did was it allowed the grass to grow through but when our spitz max tried to dig found it impossible beause of the "protection" so he started digging at his designated spot. after a while the grass grew around the mesh and you dont notice it even after cutting the grass.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

May 1, 2003, 9:17 PM

Post #9 of 41 (6021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] Digging - bad?! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi all,

my mocha likes to pulls out the grass by biting it.... till the whole thing came off. Everytime when my mum starts to cut the grass on the garden, she will follows and try to pull out the grass by using her teeth ! I guess she thinks that she is being helpful by doing that !

Mocha likes things which moves, so one day i took the plastic pot and throw it to the grass patch she will the run over and plays with it for hours..... you guys shd have seen it. It was so funny !

cheers,
minglmy

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 2, 2003, 11:29 PM

Post #10 of 41 (5980 views)
Shortcut

I did read something bout digging in a book. It didn't state that it's bad. It's just that they want to release their xtra energy.

My 1st lab use to dig ... only on dead grass. She did it twice .. only small hole..

somehow now she doesn't do it anymore. Maybe I make her use up her energy in some other ways.

REgards,
Swee Eng

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 3, 2003, 7:46 AM

Post #11 of 41 (5975 views)
Shortcut

Well,I think it is part of exercise..

I guess if you don't mind your dog digging,it's alright. After all it is you who set the rules in the house. Some ppl consider it 'bad' cause the have nice gardens which they love.

It's even better that you can 'control'Smile Jojo's digging.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Kowpa

Jul 17, 2003, 10:02 AM

Post #12 of 41 (5947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Digging - bad?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi evryone who have this digging problem

I truly agreed with Cheng See reread Cheng See reply to Shirley. I just want to add in If you does not want your dog to distroy your beautiful garden provide him a sand pit and teach him to dig the sand pit provided Trick: Let him see you bury a bone ask the dog to dig for the bone dogs learn by habit in no time the dog will dig the sand pit provided and no other places.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 17, 2003, 4:30 PM

Post #13 of 41 (5945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Digging - bad?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, agree... it's a matter of whether are you OKAY with your dog digging.. I don't have a garden.. but I think by nature, they are a digger as well Tongue so at times Jaz will jump up on my bed and start her digging exercise! ahahhahah!!!!Sly

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 24, 2003, 11:25 PM

Post #14 of 41 (5919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Digging - bad?! [In reply to] Can't Post

haha! WinkSmileTongue Tyson and Silky do that too..but on the marble floor Laugh
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 25, 2003, 12:51 AM

Post #15 of 41 (5915 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chloe,

MARBLE FLoor??? are they trying to file thier nails???!! hahahaha!!! Cool

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2003, 4:07 AM

Post #16 of 41 (5914 views)
Shortcut

lol..hmm..not sure...maybe..hehe..no need to cut their nails thenWinkTongue less work for meTongue
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 25, 2003, 4:54 PM

Post #17 of 41 (5911 views)
Shortcut

Don't you find it that it's really tough for you to cut thier nails at times... they will cry out, snap, bark at you and really refuse to do so!!! Laugh

babykoi
Dog Kichi

Jul 25, 2003, 6:24 PM

Post #18 of 41 (5907 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

Digging is never bad or anything for that matter is bad if you dog can do on command. Very good. Take your dog to the beach and help you digging for siput. That's what I did with my old GSD. He dig I collect. Digging in the garden is usually due to our weather here in Malaysia. Hot & humit. If dog is kept outdoors they get hot too. So digging for cooler soil would be the greatest idea to them. Try to hose them down with water more often if they dig your garden. But don't shampoo them too often.

See ya.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 25, 2003, 6:26 PM

Post #19 of 41 (5906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [babykoi] Digging - bad?! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a nature thingy ler must be.. we never thought them to dig Smile

babykoi
Dog Kichi

Jul 25, 2003, 7:24 PM

Post #20 of 41 (5903 views)
Shortcut

Don't worry. No problem lah. Enjoy your fun with your dog.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 25, 2003, 7:36 PM

Post #21 of 41 (5902 views)
Shortcut

Oh, no problem at all.. we already 'ba' use to it already.... once she jump up my bed and start her digging routine... we'll just go "there she goes again....." hahahahah!! Smile

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2003, 9:28 PM

Post #22 of 41 (5898 views)
Shortcut

It would be hell if my dogs did that. Especially if tyson did that when he's all grown up. Thank God they don't though. SmileSmile

Silky's okay with it..only sometimes she'll pull back. Tyson on the other hand finds the clipper very amusing and tries to play with it while I clip his nalis. Especially when I'm cutting nails on his left hand(he's right-handed), he'll put his paw on the clipper and try to play. Either that or he'll be licking or trying to bite it.Unsure
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Jul 25, 2003, 10:44 PM

Post #23 of 41 (5890 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the reply.

My another small pup dont know 'dig' command, but now he knows because we teach him on that.

I think dig is ok for me because they dont like to dig in my garden.. they like dig on the sand near my construction side only.. and i also i very lazy to cut their nails.. i think dig will help me on that.. hehehe

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Jul 28, 2003, 2:23 PM

Post #24 of 41 (5880 views)
Shortcut

Some dogs do dig to plant their food...it's bad esp whenever they dig it out again and makan it..you noe,,grosss!!!!!!this applies esp to small dogs...dunno why but i think this is what nature has implanted on their mind..

i'm not too sure how to get rid of this habit cuz when i had my minpin,she used to dig like hell...couldn't stop it...as for my current doggie, odie,he digs whenever we bring him to the beach...it's fun to see tho...but at home, he won't do it..cuz no chance...no sand or anything like that...kekekeTongue

wish you good luck..Laugh
Meme

odie moves MY world!

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 5:41 PM

Post #25 of 41 (5878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strawhoney] Digging - bad?! [In reply to] Can't Post

A few days ago my small labbie dig a very deep hole in our garden. At first we were quite mad but it turn out to be that she's found the leakage from a burst pipe... She actually dig the hole to tell us where the problem was...

Regards,
Swee Eng

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my