Home


  Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
ONLINE
Log in LOG
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Chocolate Poisoning







jason
Enthusiast


Mar 11, 2002, 8:04 PM

Post #1 of 3 (969 views)
Shortcut
Chocolate Poisoning Can't Post

Some info on this matter ... Chocolate Poisoning...

Chocolate poisoning occurs most commonly in dogs due to their relatively indiscriminate eating habits and easily available sources of chocolate. Chocolate is derived from the roasted seeds of the plant Theobromo cocoa. The toxic ingredient in
chocolate is theobromine. This product is found in chocolate, baker’s chocolate, tea and cola. It is not present in any great concentration in white chocolate or chocolate flavoured treats. The level at which theobromine causes death is reported at 250-500
mg/kg, yet deaths have occurred at levels as low as 115 mg/kg; however, clinical signs of toxicity occur at much lower blood levels.

Signs of toxicity include excitement, agitation, nervousness, excessive thirst and vomiting. Severely affected animals will have muscle spasms, increased body temperature, and seizures progressing to coma. Some animals may die suddenly due to
fatal cardiac arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm).

Animals suspected of having chocolate toxicity or having eaten a potentially toxic amount of chocolate should be treated. This may include making the dog vomit, passing a stomach tube and lavaging the stomach, giving activated charcoal via stomach tube,
monitoring heart rate and rhythms and intravenous fluids. Seizures and abnormal heart rates and rhythms are controlled with drugs.


Regards

_______________________________________________
papa to Candy - female boxer; fawn; natural ear;
docked tail;born 6/2001.
Jasper - male boxer; fawn;natural
ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.


Rainbow
Canine Addict

Mar 11, 2002, 10:05 PM

Post #2 of 3 (963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Chocolate Poisoning [In reply to] Can't Post

I know chocolate should not be fed to dogs..well how about chocolate milk?? Chocolate ice cream?? ...those stuff that is not 100% chocolate..just chocolate flavoured??


¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*



Andrew
Member

Mar 14, 2002, 8:01 AM

Post #3 of 3 (952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Chocolate Poisoning [In reply to] Can't Post

well...I think those food you said is not suppose to be consume by our dog. I think plain milk without any flavoring will do the best for them.

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

 
 




Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my