Home: Dog Rescue and Adoption: PAWS:
Who to vote for at the PAWS AGM?

Morphware
Novice

Apr 15, 2005, 12:01 AM

Post #1 of 15 (2929 views)
Shortcut
Who to vote for at the PAWS AGM? Can't Post

If you want to save PAWS you need to vote for these people!

President:
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nadzariah Cheng Abdullah

Dr Nadzariah Cheng is a veterinarian by profession and Associate Professor in Pet Animal Medicine and Surgery of Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM). She not only lectures but also does clinical practice at the UPM Vet Teaching Hospital. She is a founder member of PAWS. Dr Cheng believes passionately in the need for more responsible management of the huge problem of strays and unwanted pets in Malaysia, beginning with PAWS.
Dr Cheng says, “As President for these past 113 days, I’ve become acutely aware of what is needed in PAWS. The animals in PAWS must no longer be allowed to suffer because of our shortcomings. If members of PAWS elect a Committee with similar aspirations and priorities, we can make a real difference.”

Vice President:
Gopi Krishnan

Gopi is a Film producer with a passion for dogs and has bred internationally successful Dachshunds. He has previously been Chairperson of fund raising projects for PAWS. Gopi believes that increasing public education and governmental awareness of animal issues will improve appreciation of animals and the role animals play in a healthy and compassionate society.

Secretary:
Melinda U

Melinda is manager of the Donor Relations Unit at WWF-Malaysia, with an extensive 15,000 donor-base. With more than 5 years experience raising funds from the corporate sector through public appeals, sponsorships, merchandising and promotional tie-ups, Melinda brings a wealth of fund raising experience to PAWS.
But perhaps even more important, Melinda shares with Gopi, Dr Cheng and the rest of this team, a genuine concern for the less fortunate animals. Melinda loves and rescues cats.

Assistant Secretary:
Dr. Eliza Ahmad Iqhbal

Dr Eliza is a dental surgeon. She & her husband are regular donors and volunteers at PAWS. They also fund & sustain their own active cat welfare programme - rescuing, caring for, vaccinating, neutering and rehoming abandoned & stray cats. Dr Eliza is adamant that PAWS must be managed and operated in accordance with correct and proper animal management practice.
Dr Eliza says, “Enough is enough, its time to get PAWS in order, or the animals will continue to suffer.”

Treasurer:
Wong Ping Han

Wong is a qualified accountant, with double professional accounting qualifications, CIMA & MICPA. Wong was Senior Auditor with Ernst & Young. He is now responsible for the audit and accounts of an oil & gas joint venture project between the Malaysian & Thai Government. Wong has experience auditing non-profit organisations, setting up financial systems for corporations and conducting investigation audits. Wong and his wife have rescued strays since college days. Since 2002, Wong’s wife is a regular weekly volunteer at PAWS. Together, they fund and support a cat welfare programme in their neighbourhood, catching, spaying & releasing cats.

Committee Member:
Chris Ng

Chris shares his home with 3 adopted dogs and 3 cats (one adopted). Chris received the United Nations (Malaysia) Award 2003 and the Daimler Chrysler Red Ribbon Media Award 2004 for his untiring work with the Malaysian AIDS Council. Chris is also active in the International School Theatre Association, he has and continues to lead and conduct theatre workshops internationally. Chris’s experience with volunteer organisations will prove invaluable once PAWS becomes active again, with programmes to promote care, love and respect for animals. “I am ready,” says Chris.

Committee Member:
Dr. Yap Siew Peng

Siew Peng is a General Practitioner with a special interest in family medicine. In love with animals all her life – all abandoned and lost animals hold a special place in her heart. Having raised 2 teenagers and a whole melange of pets, Siew Peng is familiar with the trials and tribulations of a pet owning family, and is deeply concerned about the plight of all strays. Siew Peng’s experience as a practising doctor, her understanding of disease monitoring, disease control & prevention will bring an added dimension to PAWS, complimenting Dr Cheng’s experience as a vet.

Committee Member:
Sandra John

Sandra is a senior copywriter with Avon Cosmetics Malaysia. Besides writing for Avon brochures, she also freelances as a writer for various newsletters and magazines. Sandra is passionate about animals, and is owned by 2 adopted dogs, and has rescued strays all her life. Her writing skills – will benefit PAWS, she will put into words, the songs of those who cannot speak for themselves. And just like the rest of Dr Cheng’s team, Sandra is a committed optimist who has always wanted to volunteer at an animal shelter. Now she has, and promises PAWS, her love and energy.

Morphware
Novice

Apr 15, 2005, 9:30 AM

Post #2 of 15 (2882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Morphware] Who to vote for at the PAWS AGM? [In reply to] Can't Post

Map to PAWS AGM Frown
Attachments: map to pawsAGM.jpg (103 KB)

Morphware
Novice

Apr 15, 2005, 8:51 PM

Post #3 of 15 (2855 views)
Shortcut

Hey you know the guy standing for president against Dr Cheng (Vet) is Dr Linggham (gynecologist) and is Maha's brother!!! He is only doing it to try to save his brother not because he loves animals!!! I have a good source that said he actually said that he doesn't like animals!!!! and that old woman is supporting him!!! Frown

My god how can we let people like this take control of an animal shelter, please save PAWS vote for Dr Cheng and her team they will do whats best for the animals and PAWS.

Frown Frown

feipor
Novice

Apr 15, 2005, 10:57 PM

Post #4 of 15 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Dr lingham maybe interested in the vagina of the female dogs........surely not interested in the welfare of the society. nobody had seen him before, he came out fr nowhere...

mamadog

Apr 16, 2005, 2:07 PM

Post #5 of 15 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Yes , mamadog and her gang of seven people will stood behind Dr Cheng and her team. Our gang consists of two vet surgeonts n five prominent businessmen.

mamadog

Apr 18, 2005, 9:33 PM

Post #6 of 15 (2668 views)
Shortcut

FrownFrown

hi mr morp, can give update of the voting result?. I am sure the results will put some people to shame lah.

FrownFrown

Morphware
Novice

Apr 19, 2005, 2:31 AM

Post #7 of 15 (2630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mamadog] Who to vote for at the PAWS AGM? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I have been so overwelmed by the whole event yesterday that I haven't had a chance to update you all...

The EGM/AGM was held as was planned, and was very proffesionally run, especially compared to the last AGM in December. If this is a sign of things to come for PAWS its going to be one of the best run shelters on the planet!!

Well the "Green Team" was ALL voted in, with the "opposition" getting a maximum of 3 votes for any one position. I am still in awe of how well this team did, obviously the membership of PAWS is alot more aware of what is going on at PAWS and who is responsible.

The funniest part was when the "old woman" got up and called everyone names, she called everyone children in a declaration of how much better she is than everyone else, then marched off like a spoilt child.

I think the most dissappointing thing was that Maha and his brother didn't attend and so couldn't be questioned for their behaviour and allegations.

But anyway 3 cheers for the new committee at PAWS!!!

Morphware FrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrown

mamadog

Apr 19, 2005, 11:36 PM

Post #8 of 15 (2574 views)
Shortcut

Congratulation for the new team. It is a victory for so many animals lover.

This one is for the old, old team :

"Democracy means that anyone can grow up to be president, and anyone who doesn't grow up can be vice president."

One question , What actually happened to the so many estate people who voted for the ex-vice president at the previous Agm..Why they chikened out this time?

Morphware
Novice

Apr 19, 2005, 11:56 PM

Post #9 of 15 (2563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mamadog] Who to vote for at the PAWS AGM? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm, we aren't sure what happened to all the so called supporters I think that the person that was funding their attack decided that it was money ill spent because they were out numbered. I heard that Lingham's check for 93 new memberships bounced!! So I wonder if he didn't stop payment on that as well. I still wonder what they were all up to at the shelter for it to be worth spending money to buy votes and keep their people in the committee.

But all in all it was a great day and it really was a shame that Lingam and his brother didn't turn up, I for one would have loved to question him in front of all those members about what they have said and what Maha has and hasn't done.

But I say forward! Lets not dwell so much on what has happened, the new committee is on that job and I have every faith that they will find out what has been going on, especially with the accounts situation. Lets all focus on making PAWS a better place now by volunteering at the shelter or donating your time, care, or money to the shelter.

I will look into what is needed and up date the wish list thread, or if anyone else can ask at the shelter and do the same that would be great.

If anyone knows someone that can do a good deal on a new or near new van for PAWS please let me know so I can pass your contact details on to the president.

So you all at the SPCA and PAWS, Paws in the Park, Paws for a Cause Day. Sounds great huh?

Already after 2 days the SPCA and PAWS shelters are working together. I am sooooo happy that these two great organisations can now work together, after all they both have common goals right?

Frown

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 20, 2005, 12:26 AM

Post #10 of 15 (2558 views)
Shortcut

good to know PAWS is now in good hand!!

Frown

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

Morphware
Novice

Apr 20, 2005, 1:44 AM

Post #11 of 15 (2540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] Who to vote for at the PAWS AGM? [In reply to] Can't Post

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

That would be the problem with the old woman, that called 500 people children and other things before storming out of the PAWS agm LOL Frown

feipor
Novice

Apr 20, 2005, 11:37 AM

Post #12 of 15 (2503 views)
Shortcut

hi morphware

when u mention spca n paws working together, i can only think of 1 thing! that is putting animal to sleep.

after the AGM, may we know what is the direction of Paws specifically beside knowing of the success of AGM?

can u pls update us of intented area of improvement? ie. what is the policy of euthanasia? how do u define who should be put to sleep who should stay? do u have any criteria? constitution of Paws stated it practises a NO-KILL policy and why is animals still being put to sleep in bulk? if Paws is working like another SPCA then why do we need PAWS(considering SPCA has better management and higher transparency without the headaches). the public has the perception that paws doesnt kill and thus the support and donations and also the surrender and dumping of dogs and cats there rather than SPCA where u dont expect to pay per animal and u know it will b put to sleep within days?

does paws also visit school and educate the public abt animal welfare? as it is also in the constitution.

the MPPJ dog pen where paws receive rm2.00 to put down a dog, is it still going on? is dealing with MPPJ dogs part and parcel of PAWS' business?? did PAWS set-up to kill dogs on behalf of MPPJ? i dont understand why does an animal welfare society that has a no-kill policy ended up performing the killing jobs for a mere RM2.00 per dog. do u have any reasons or explaination for that? and would this be continue as before?

I think this issues are more important than who is the new management, if Paws is a better Paws but on the wrong track against its objective, we wish that paws will be closed down by govt asap rather than becoming a killing ground and a dumping ground of unwanted/stray dogs and cats. infact any old member with the financial resources can appoint a lawyer to sue paws and closed it down. this is what u should worry now.

Morphware
Novice

Apr 20, 2005, 11:33 PM

Post #13 of 15 (2468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [feipor] Who to vote for at the PAWS AGM? [In reply to] Can't Post

when u mention spca n paws working together, i can only think of 1 thing! that is putting animal to sleep.

After the AGM, may we know what is the direction of Paws specifically beside knowing of the success of AGM?

Why would you think about SPCA and PAWS putting animals to sleep?? That would have to be one of the most ridiculous remarks I have heard on here yet!
I suggest you get in touch with the PAWS committee if you are concerned about what direction PAWS is headed now. However I think that the direction it was headed under the "7 year" committee and its hangers on was towards a complete lose of PAWS all together.

can u pls update us of intented area of improvement? ie. what is the policy of euthanasia? how do u define who should be put to sleep who should stay? do u have any criteria? constitution of Paws stated it practises a NO-KILL policy and why is animals still being put to sleep in bulk? if Paws is working like another SPCA then why do we need PAWS(considering SPCA has better management and higher transparency without the headaches). the public has the perception that paws doesnt kill and thus the support and donations and also the surrender and dumping of dogs and cats there rather than SPCA where u dont expect to pay per animal and u know it will b put to sleep within days?

Before the "7year" committee PAWS operated by a complete policy based on the SPCA's policy but it was mysteriously lost, a group of people that is involved with PAWS tried to have the "7 year" committee work under new policy documents but the old woman threw them away, so currently there is no written policy and there is nothing in the constitution about a no kill policy either. So I don't know who is telling you lies about that.

Also for your information the bulk putting to sleep of animals was what the old woman and Maha were responsible for as they didn't want to waste money burying the animals too often so they would let animals suffer until burial day came around. Now if any animal is found to be suffering and untreatable yes they are put to sleep immediately, this costs more as they are buried more often, but isn't that why people donate money? So that the animals can be cared for and not be left to suffer...

Please tell me of any animal shelter in the world that has a total no kill policy, that would have to be the most inhuman place on earth, I have seen animals suffering from disease and abuse that could only be put to rest by euthanizing, I couldn't imagine leaving them to die a natural death, suffering, screaming, and shaking in shear agony.

does paws also visit school and educate the public abt animal welfare? as it is also in the constitution.

Hmmm, with the way the shelter itself has been run up to now I think you can answer this question yourself. But yes this is in the constitution but hasn't been done for a very long time, however I have every confidence that the new committee that is in has the expertise to conduct such educational talks especially with the on going support of the SPCA.

the MPPJ dog pen where paws receive rm2.00 to put down a dog, is it still going on? is dealing with MPPJ dogs part and parcel of PAWS' business?? did PAWS set-up to kill dogs on behalf of MPPJ? i dont understand why does an animal welfare society that has a no-kill policy ended up performing the killing jobs for a mere RM2.00 per dog. do u have any reasons or explaination for that? and would this be continue as before?

Hmmm, this is a touchy subject but I will attempt to answer it for you. The MPPJ and MBSA both "dump" stray animals at PAWS, now while PAWS tries its best to save whatever animals it can unfortunately a large percentage of the animals that the MPPJ and MBSA dump are in a really bad way (I have pictures, but have better taste than to display them here) they also dump around 400 animals per month as you can imagine that number of animals really would be overwhelming to any organization, so although a large number of these animals are in fact euthanized every effort is made to save which ever ones that can be. And as a matter of fact PAWS has not received payment from either the MBSA or MPPJ for many years. I hope that you wouldn't sit and watch your beloved dog or cat die a slow painful death either as this is what PAWS has in mind when the people that put the animals to sleep do and always do so with broken hearts and tears in the eyes. There is no joy in putting down any animal, but there is even less in watching an animal scream in pain or suffer in silence because it is hurting too much to make a sound.

Personally I think your anger is aimed at the wrong people here, you should be campaigning against the people that don't spay and neuter their animals or that dump their animals at the market when they are tired of them, that is were the problem stems from not PAWS. PAWS is trying to be part of the solution by only adopting out spayed and neutered animals, which the "7 year" committee people fought hard against.

I think this issues are more important than who is the new management, if Paws is a better Paws but on the wrong track against its objective, we wish that paws will be closed down by govt asap rather than becoming a killing ground and a dumping ground of unwanted/stray dogs and cats. infact any old member with the financial resources can appoint a lawyer to sue paws and closed it down. this is what u should worry now.

OH MY GOD!!! You sound like you must be associated with that old woman, because she was voted out now she would rather see PAWS closed down. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!! PAWS is there for the animals not for old woman that want to feel like they are in power. If PAWS closes down there will be alot more animals suffering in the streets, SPCA will be having a job that I doubt they could cope with well if at all. If PAWS gets closed down the only things to suffer will be the animals, why do you think SPCA wants to go back to the old days and work alongside PAWS? Together they can try to handle the problem and I'm sure it will be handled better with support than alone.

I suggest you spend some time volunteering at PAWS see what happens there first hand instead of blindly speculating about what should be done and what actually happens. At the very least you can write to the president of PAWS and ask them what PAWS' policies are now, especially regarding euthanasia. I'm sure she would be happy to respond to any letter.

Anyway I hope I have answered you questions clearly enough for you to understand. I am writting this as a member that does volunteer at PAWS and does know what happens there, if you think you know better please add your two cents worth.

Morphware Frown

(This post was edited by Morphware on Apr 20, 2005, 11:46 PM)

Morphware
Novice

Apr 20, 2005, 11:39 PM

Post #14 of 15 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Oh yeah and I still think that PAWS couldn't possibly be in better hands now than ever before, congratulations and good luck to the new committee. Frown

Morphware
Novice

Apr 21, 2005, 1:12 AM

Post #15 of 15 (2444 views)
Shortcut

Just so you can get your story straight I found this online for you, could you please tell me where the constitution says that PAWS is a no kill shelter? http://www.geocities.com/...ver/constitution.pdf

Although I'm sure if they had the money, space, man power, and facilities it would be, I think they would need about five million ringit a year for a facility that instead of the hundred thousand or so it costs per year to run now. Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my