Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Socializing, playtime, tricks and things....:
Suggestion for games to play with my two puppies?

Chiayi
Novice

Apr 6, 2005, 3:57 AM

Post #1 of 16 (3069 views)
Shortcut
Suggestion for games to play with my two puppies? Can't Post

Hi everyone,

I have two 5months old twin puppies, they are both male (American Pit Bull Terrier) they chased each other around the house. I am just wondering what kind of games can i play with them? Johnathan is bigger and he easily can just 'dog-handle' Joseph who is smaller in size and it seems John John always win when they are playing or chewing the toy bones I got them. You see Jo Jo look so sad always losing to his brother that now he seems to be obsessed with humping John John Blush (I know it's a dominance thing). I just want both of them to have fun together rather than running around like little rockets chasing each other trying to hump each other. Any suggestions? I played ball with them once, needless to say the basketball was torn to pieces Pirate, so i played with them tennis balls but they seems to chew on it eating the surface of the tennis ball off Crazy. They are really cute boys Tongue but i dun want them to get bored. I work at home so i ahve ample of time to play with them but what games are suited to play at home, I live in an apartment and they are much too young for me to take the park where there is no park here to go to. Thanks everyone!

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2005, 2:26 AM

Post #2 of 16 (3047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chiayi] Suggestion for games to play with my two puppies? [In reply to] Can't Post

2 male APBTs in an apartment…good luck! Indoor games will only keep dem happy up 2 a point. U really need 2 giv dem some daily outdoor exercise 2 keep deir busy bodies occupied. If it means driving 2 a dog friendly park further away, so b it.

4 indoor sessions, more durable play toys r Kongs. Nylabones/rings n thick ropes which can also double up as chew toys. There r also really hard rubber balls (small 2 medium size) dat u can use 4 play. Try dese games which I play with my JRT:

Hide n seek - get ur dog 2 stay in d kitchen/washing area, den hide urself in diff rooms, behind d curtains, sofa, cupboard, doors, balcony n call out 2 him.

Find ur toy - similar 2 above but replace with a fav toy. Toy can b hidden anywhere as long as within reach or reasonable height 4 sniffing. Can even hide in ur pocket.

Go to - need a housemate for dis game. Train pup 2 go 2 ur fren by throwing toy 2 ur fren n saying ‘Go to Joe’. Den ur mate can do d same n send him back 2 u.

Balloons - blow up 2 medium size, hit in air n watch ur dog go. Balloons wont last very long depending on how gentle ur dog is, so need 2 buy in packs. Can also use soap bubbles.

Play fetch - can use hard durable ball/ stick / rope but dis game requires some time, effort n space 2 teach. (c thread below ‘Play ball or fetch!’)

Intro 2 agility - Doesnt matter if u arent going 2 do agility seriously, an intro 2 similar equipmt/ toys is invaluable in building confidence n goes a long way towards socializing ur pup.

Agility equipment can b introduced 2 ur pup as part of play eg. towel/blanket thrown over ur pup 2 get him accustomed with d ‘tunnel’ obstacle. Walking on a slightly raised plank (few inches off ground) 2 get him used 2 d ‘dog walk’ n heights. Climbing up n down stairs 2 get him used 2 d ‘A-frame’. Small traffic cones placed in a line 2 resemble d ‘pole weave’. Jumping thru hula hoop or over a slightly raised pole. Running thru child’s play tunnel. (c thread ‘Home made agility obstacles’ under ‘Agility Training’ column)

Tricks - ur pups r d right age 2 start learning some tricks. Will not only impress ur friends but also serves as an avenue 2 keep ur pups physically n mentally stimulated n as a result, dey get in2 a lot less trouble. (c threads below ‘tricks with Roxy’ n ‘Goovy tricks’)

Chew ur bone/ Kong – after all dat n ven u r tired of playing, train pup 2 chew his bone/Kong instead. Place some treats in d hole in d Kong 2 make it more tempting.

Groovy (JRT), ‘Play is d most happening word in d Eng. dictionary.’

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

Chiayi
Novice

Apr 7, 2005, 7:19 AM

Post #3 of 16 (3032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groovemaster] Suggestion for games to play with my two puppies? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestions! Sly I will definately try the tricks out. Just one question though, balloons are noisy when they popped and i am afraid it will scare my pups away plus bubbles aint that poisonous with all the chemical soap water? I am a bit protective of my pups cos I lost my older dog Lawrence, he was 10 Unsure so I tend to be very protective that's why I don't intend to bring my pups to the park before their immune system is stronger, I am afraid of any infections they might get or they might eat something from the ground, it's really dirty and i dun think in penang there are any dog friendly parks, are there? It is also hard to take them out because i do live in an apartment and some of my NOT dog lovers neighbours, they like to complain to the management. Anyway thanks so much for the games you've suggested, at least i get to play something with them cos i dunno whether they are lazy or bored cos they are always sleepy and when wide awake, they want food and run around chasing each other. Yeah an apartment and two pit bulls...trust me it can get really crazy around here but we are shifting soon to the new house probably next year so my pups will be around 1 plus then, i hope by then i can take them around the new neighbourhood. Thanks again! Say hi for me to your JRT!

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2005, 9:37 PM

Post #4 of 16 (3007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chiayi] Suggestion for games to play with my two puppies? [In reply to] Can't Post

Balloons will make quite a loud noise ven dey burst but shld b no problems 4 APBTs. Treat it as a conditioning tool 2 get ur dog used 2 thunder n other loud noises. But remember 2 pick up d burst rubber pieces. D kiddies soap bubbles r quite mild actually.

Hey, thot APBTs r supposed 2 b d ‘bouncers’ of d K9 world…

Groovy, ‘Play is d most happening word in d Eng. Dictionary.’

Chiayi
Novice

Apr 9, 2005, 12:47 AM

Post #5 of 16 (2997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groovemaster] Suggestion for games to play with my two puppies? [In reply to] Can't Post

They are actually not afraid of thunders and during CNY with all the firecrackers making such loud noises Cool, they slept through it like little angels.Angelic Yeah I think i will play balloons and bubbles with them. I went to the pet shop and got them a real hard ball, they've been playing fetch the ball the whole morning. Now they are sleeping soundly on thier beds. Hahaha APBT's are the bouncers of the K9 world huh?? hahaha that's funny, great i have three big bouncers (Lawrence in spirit) guarding and checking ID's in front of my house!

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2005, 2:11 AM

Post #6 of 16 (2994 views)
Shortcut

Bouncers, TaiKor, Heavywieghts haha ... yup hd a lengthy discussion with another seemingly ‘experienced’ APBT owner who reckons dat APBTs r only suitable 4 fighting n depriving dem of d fight is like depriving dem of love???!! (c thread ‘APBT’ under ‘Terrier’ column)

Hope u can prove him wrong with ur pups.

Groovy, ‘I think PBTs r pretty cool…funny face tho’

Chiayi
Novice

Apr 9, 2005, 9:17 PM

Post #7 of 16 (2982 views)
Shortcut

I read the thread and I disagree completely. The breed might be bred for fighting but they are not only suitable for fighting in pits for others to make money in bettings! Mad That's just cruel and inhumane. Granted all the talk bout their genes and how they were bred but I believe that there no bad dogs just bad owners. If an APBT was brought up by the owner that trained it to fight and encourage the doggie to be violent thus of course the doggie will be violent to please the owner just thinking that the owner will only love him/her if he/she fight till death just to win in the pit matches for the owner and the owner would only love the prize money. Frown If the owner really do love his/her dogs, how could he/she endure to see them get into fights and get hurt with serious injuries or inflict a lot of pain on other doggies? It's just not right and the media doesn't help, APBT's are banned in most countries, the whole image that they are mean, nasty and dangerous dogs, all the misconceptions are man-made! APBT's are great dogs and pets, they are craing, loyal, protective and awesomely CUTE!!! All my dogs were from a champion bloodline but I will never let them get into pit matches or even encourage them to be violent, they are really sweet dogs!

I played hide and seek with my boys this morning, my god they were so cute when they cant find me. They started to cry and got worried with panic attacks when they cant find me, I was hiding behind the washig machine hehehe when I emerged, their eyes literally light up with joy and relief as they licked me and kissed me non stop ehehehe I just love dogs, all breed, dogs are God's gift to us humans because I think He pities us humans and send dogs to teach us about unconditional love... Smile So it's really bad if we let APBT's fight and that is not deprieving them of love or their instinct, it's just cruel that's all...

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2005, 6:34 AM

Post #8 of 16 (2967 views)
Shortcut

U said it rite…but there r some seriously lost souls out there who think dey r actually doing deir APBTs a big favour by putting dem in2 pits.

Good 2 c dat u r trying out some games with ur pups, u must hv a pretty big apartment/ washing machine if both ur pups cant sniff u out.Sly My JRT also sometimes misses my gf’s hiding spots, even ven he’s like only 1 feet away...but he is quite persistent n determined n will keep going until he finds her. Nose not too keen n is more adept at hunting 4 moving objects, hence cats n squirrels r his fav chase.

Groovy, ‘I think PBTs r cool…funny face tho’

Chiayi
Novice

Apr 10, 2005, 8:52 AM

Post #9 of 16 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Wink Hahhaa well my boys are overly active that they only checked the bedrooms and the kitchen (a better description for 'duh'), I was hiding behind the pantry area yep behind the washine machine, trust me it's a tight spot to squeeze in ehehhehe well my boys likes to chase insects (still puppies not that ambitious yet). Well John-John he's a bit more 'bheng', he cant even find the ball that i hide under the covers and he got lost under the comforter but looking at his face, I cant help but laugh and laugh.

Jo-Jo is still quite timid, I only got Jo-Jo for a month, I just cant stop thinking bout Jo-Jo when I bought John-John, cos the thought that the breeder will trained him into a fighter and compete in pit matches, well i just cant help but go back and get him! He' actually better now but when he first came, his condition with fleas and ticks oh man and his ears had some kind skin infection, oh man, it was bad and he was so skinny. Frown He has put on weight now and getting obsessed with food just like John-John. Sly And I am really glad I've got both my boys, having to loose my eldest Lawrence, it was really traumatic, still is cos I miss my Lawrence very much...Unsure (Lawrence is more intelligent actually, it's like he had the IQ that only both Johnathan and Joseph mental power combined) ahahhahaa great to know that they are wonderful dog owners like you Wink out there rather than those in denial self centred dog owners who just neglect their dogs and only treat them like a tool to guard the house or just to throw into pits to fight till death. It's sickening!

Anyway take care ya and say hi for me to your littler JRT! My ex's boyfriend's JRT named Jack died cos he was bitten by a cobra while trying to protect his nieces from the snake in the garden. It was really pitiful, Jack was a great dog, he liked to play with Lawrence. I hope both Jack and Lawrence are now playing together happily in heaven Angelic...JRT's are small dogs with admirable courage! Salute!

Sydney
Doggyman

Apr 17, 2005, 3:57 AM

Post #10 of 16 (2936 views)
Shortcut

I NOECool!!!You can play wif them. b4 that atach collars on them so u noe how close are they. And dont breath so hard and loudSmile

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2005, 11:06 PM

Post #11 of 16 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Hope u didnt lose any sleep over d APBT thread, there r many lost souls out there who think dey know everything bout dogs n wats worst, think dey r doing d world a favor by giving out unsolicited advice 2 prospective dog owners…how amusing!Blush

So r ur pups getting any better in hide n seek? Just met a PBT (UK specs) ‘Smeagol’ yesterday on d weekly jungle trek n wat a lovable fella he is. He got along fine with other dogs n was always ready 2 give ur face a good licking. Cool.

Yup, JRTs can b brave 2 d point of fault. Just d other day, a family v met on d street told us how deir JRT managed 2 kill a cobra in deir garden…n dey were pleasantly surprised 2 c Groovy joining in our makan session.

Groovy, ‘JRT motto: Leap b4 u look…or leap 1st, den only look.’

Chiayi
Novice

Apr 18, 2005, 12:45 AM

Post #12 of 16 (2922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Suggestion for games to play with my two puppies? [In reply to] Can't Post

hehehee yep i love playing with them, dogs are sooo cute! their colars shine at nite with little stars pattern on their colars, so cute! They dun really like their colars though, tend to chew on it, John John cant wear his anymore cos he is too big now with a fat neck ahahha going to the pet store again to buy him a new colar and get them more toy bones! I know i tried dun to breathe actually they dunno where i am. Tongue I hid in my closet this time and miracle they actually found me and scratched at the door of the closet! Laugh They are getting smarter now!

Chiayi
Novice

Apr 18, 2005, 1:12 AM

Post #13 of 16 (2921 views)
Shortcut

Oh yes i did, i was really aggravated but then i calmed down and thought I am not gonna get angry and argue with someone or anyone who has their own opinion and lead their life the way they themselves think is right.

I am happy with my own dogs and i know i love my dogs and treat them right. I am only concerned and feel pity for the dogs of owners who would treat them badly and make them fight in pits. Unsure When my puppies get too naughty, I will tell them that they are very lucky not be trained as fighters cos my patsy boys cant last 30 seconds in the pit! Life is like that I guess, some dogs receives so much love and care while others are neglected and like the strays, they never really received human love, it's very heart wrenching.

I played a new game with my pups. It's very easy, i just close my bedroom door and let them be in the living room then i insert a piece of cardboard like two ruler size in width and i just put in under the door and wiggle it from left to right and my pups gladly tries to 'paw' the cardboard and try to bite it and catch it! So cute and when i open my bedroom door, my pups will investigate where the cardboard is hiding!! aahhahaa they will sniff and sniff like they are drug detective dogs!

yes JRT's can be too brave, you are scared for them! Jack was a hero and he will forever be remembered. I never thought that the day would come when I had bury my Lawrence too, it was so painful and I cannot describe it. Anyway take good care of Groovy k!!! take care ya!

Sydney
Doggyman

Apr 18, 2005, 4:31 AM

Post #14 of 16 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Wow then. Um.. do u try to let ur dogs stalk at sumthin they like suck as a ball? U noe kik the ball, they chase after it and c huevers gets the ball faster.

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Chiayi
Novice

Apr 18, 2005, 8:08 AM

Post #15 of 16 (2911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Suggestion for games to play with my two puppies? [In reply to] Can't Post

yep yep, played that with them and both were very fast, sometimes John gets the ball first then sometimes Joe gets the ball too Sly I've been playing a lot with them and they are like happy little pups always smiling hehee

Sydney
Doggyman

Apr 28, 2005, 1:45 AM

Post #16 of 16 (2875 views)
Shortcut

smilingSmile???Cool. Sidney also does that when he sees the snacksCool. How about the baloons? Go through hoops? Try catching the water?

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my