Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
I'm trained. Shall we share our experience?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Sibuk
Novice

Mar 26, 2003, 12:36 AM

Post #1 of 79 (7184 views)
Shortcut
I'm trained. Shall we share our experience? Can't Post

This is Sibuk from Johore. I'd been trained in grooming and had also worked in a grooming saloon before. I might be able to help to answer some grooming questions so that all of us can learn from each other. Wink

I’d obtained the 1st level grooming certificate but due to financial constraintsUnsure, I did not finish the 2nd level – intermediate course. However, do take note that grooming is not as easy as anyone of us think. It is really a tough job – you get backache, fur sticking on your clothes, dog barking, dog poo and pee everywhere and worst of all, dog bites!Pirate

No kidding. Do give it a second thought if you think you are going into this line. BTW, anyone of you here had received formal training so that we can exchange experience? Do make this grooming site a more lively one for all the members to benefit. Angelic

I shall begin. Let me know if there’s further question.

I’d learnt clippering, scissoring, hand-stripping and also removal of undercoat. I'd hands-on these following breeds:

Sporting Group
English Cocker Spaniel
English Springer Spaniel

Hound Group
Beagle

Terrier Group
Schnauzer
West Highland White Terrier (Westie)

Toy Group
Maltese
Miniature Pinscher
Papillon
Pomeranian
Poodle
Shih Tzu
Silky Terrier
Yorkshire Terrier

Non Sporting
Bichon Frise

Herding
Corgi

ricky
Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2003, 3:23 AM

Post #2 of 79 (7173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sibuk] I'm trained. Shall we share our experience? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sibuk,

This is Ricky. since you are trained, any experienced on American Cocker spaniel and Maltese SHOW CUTTING?????

Best regards,Ricky
friendly,
RicKY

Sibuk
Novice

Mar 26, 2003, 5:17 PM

Post #3 of 79 (7165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ricky] I'm trained. Shall we share our experience? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ricky,

Do you own an American CS? Sorry, I'm not trained in this breed but would you like to discuss yr experience? Do you do the grooming on the ACS yourself? I'll like to learn too.

As for Maltese, owners will normally prefer to keep their coat short. So I would normally use snap on comb on them for the pre-cut. After bathing, I would do scissoring on them.

I'd realized that most of the dog owners do not comb their dogs, that's why, a lot of the dogs that come for grooming usually have matted coat. We'll tried to demat but if it's too serious, we'll suggest it to be clipped down so as not to cause discomfort to the dog. (Dematting takes a long time and can cause reddness on the skin)

Thanks & Regards

May
Old Hand

Mar 26, 2003, 6:15 PM

Post #4 of 79 (7161 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sibuk] I'm trained. Shall we share our experience? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!!

Welcome to the forum.

I have a Shih tzu mix and I comb her 4 times a week. The problem is her hair is dry and fluffy so it tends to get tangle easily. Is there any solution that can get her hair more oilier to make grooming easier?

I also noticed her hair around her neck is more oilier than her body and it's more easier to detangle at that area. But matt always build up at her body due to the dry condition. Part of the cause may due to her gene but is there any solution to curb the problem.

Thanks.

ashley
ALPHA

Mar 26, 2003, 7:07 PM

Post #5 of 79 (7156 views)
Shortcut

hI, may i know where u finish ur grooming course?
Cos now i still looking grooming school. Hope u can give me more information, ur experiences and the thing should be know B4 we choise this school !! TQ!!Laugh
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

Sibuk
Novice

Mar 26, 2003, 7:27 PM

Post #6 of 79 (7156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] I'm trained. Shall we share our experience? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi May,

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum.

I also have a Shih Tzu & I comb him everyday.

How often do you bath yr dog? You should not bath more than once/week in order to maintain nature oil produced from the skin.

BTW, food also plays a part on the condition of the skin. I'm feeding BARF diet to my doggie. He has no skin problems at all, unlike last time.

As for the dry and fluffy fur, I do know of a product where you can spray as a moisturzer so that it makes combing much easier. But I wonder if you can get it? Where are u located?

What do you use to comb the fur? I suggest you to use a greyhound comb as it will go right to the skin when you comb to make sure there's no unnecessary mat.

A greyhound comb can be easily purchased from pet shops. Happy combing. Do update us...

Thanks & Regards

wkser
ALPHA

Mar 26, 2003, 7:32 PM

Post #7 of 79 (7155 views)
Shortcut

hi sibuk,

welcome to the forum......i think all the member would like to exchange thier experince in grooming with you and also you can provided us with the right way to groom...... exchange groomming technology LOL......WinkSmile

regards
kangser and nous

(This post was edited by wkser on Mar 26, 2003, 7:36 PM)

Sibuk
Novice

Mar 26, 2003, 8:04 PM

Post #8 of 79 (7151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashley] I'm trained. Shall we share our experience? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ashley,

I took up the grooming course in S'pore. Where r u located? I've paid a high price (abt S$15K) but doesn't have a gd experience overall. Dealing w animals is much more rewarding than w humans, u know.... Crazy

R u intending to learn pet or professional grooming? There's some difference. Let me know & I'll advise accordingly.

ashley
ALPHA

Mar 26, 2003, 9:04 PM

Post #9 of 79 (7145 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sibuk,
me from Penang. i got some information regarding grooming course but not sure which one is better.
i know this course is very expensive.
Can u let me know what is the different regarding these two grooming.. i know the fee is totally different loh! I think if i wan to be a groomer should learn professional grooming.
Now i still wondering should i think this course?
TQ!!
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

Sibuk
Novice

Mar 26, 2003, 9:31 PM

Post #10 of 79 (7143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashley] I'm trained. Shall we share our experience? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ashley,

Pet grooming is simple, u learn to groom only on yr own dog. It is based on yr interest & most of the time, yr own dog will co-operate with u.Wink

However, professional grooming will allow u to pursue grooming as a career where u've to learnt grooming on all breeds according to AKC std, sit for tests, controlling dogs, etc...

If there's a chance, do work as a groomer as a start, like what I've mentioned, grooming is not as easy as what you think. It's real tough .... but at the end of the day, it's rewarding to see yr happy doggie customers going back wagging their tail...Smile

ashley
ALPHA

Mar 26, 2003, 9:45 PM

Post #11 of 79 (7141 views)
Shortcut

Hi, if here got chance i also wan to try 1st b4 i pay 10k for the course. Now u as a groomer or change other job? Is not easy to hander people dog, like what u say may be will "kena bite pula" Pirate
than susah loh!!Unimpressed i hopei get the more information B4 i start step to it!
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

May
Old Hand

Mar 26, 2003, 11:24 PM

Post #12 of 79 (7134 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sibuk,

I am from KL. I bath my dog once a week and sometimes two weeks once depend on how dirty she gets. She's on kibble with chicken meat. I guess her dry fur is mainly due to her gene as the vet told me she have very healthy skin.

I am combing her with a metal comb and slicker brush. Which product do you recommend me to use to improve her coat condition? By the way, I'm using a shampoo with conditioner.

Sibuk
Novice

Mar 27, 2003, 8:04 PM

Post #13 of 79 (7120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] I'm trained. Shall we share our experience? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi May,

I use Cindra range. The product is Moisture Plus. I wonder do they sell in M'sia.

May
Old Hand

Mar 27, 2003, 8:20 PM

Post #14 of 79 (7116 views)
Shortcut

Never heard of this brand before........anyway, thanks for your advice.

Cheers!!

jan
Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2003, 6:31 AM

Post #15 of 79 (7086 views)
Shortcut

hi sibuk!

i have a maltese mix lhasa apso. i have been having hard time on clipping the nails. it wont let me clip it. and more over i dunno what depth i have to cut. mostly what i do is that i cut until its near the pinkish area. hope you can advice me on this matter. somehow he also dun like me combing the fur with the greyhound comb. he will start to bite on my hand if i tried to comb. is there any method that could be use ? please advice...thanks..

Jan

Sibuk
Novice

Apr 3, 2003, 10:57 PM

Post #16 of 79 (7070 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jan] I'm trained. Shall we share our experience? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jan,

What type of nail clipper are you using? I would recommended those type that opens like scissor. Forget about the one with a hole where you could have a hard time to get the nail cut because you might not be experienced enough to control the dog.

You'll have to cut about 2mm away from the quick (blood vessal) else it'll bleed. Just in case, you can standby some styptic powder to stop the bleed.

Before you cut, you might like to touch/feel the paws as to prepare the dog for the clippering. Hold the nail firm and move the fur away so that you can see the toe clearly. Control the dog with your stern voice and clipped fast.

I know it takes a lot practice but I'm sure you are able to make it Smile

As for combing the fur, you could try to touch/feel and play with the dog first. Let him/her be comfortable with your touch. Only after it relaxes, introduce the greyhound comb (beside him or just put it on the floor). DO NOT start combing. Let it smell and play with the comb for the first 2 days.

Slowly, use the comb to touch on the body of the dog so that it's not afraid of the comb. Once it gets used to it, you can start combing part by part. You can start with the legs, followed by the body, then finally the head. When it shows aggressive and start to bite, say "No" loudly and be firm! You have to control the dog and not let the dog controls you.

Be very patient and happy trying. Do let me know the outcome. Wink

jan
Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2003, 12:42 AM

Post #17 of 79 (7063 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sibuk
Thanks for the advice. It help me a lot. Anyway, I'm using the one that you said one, with one hole and i know it's hard to use it. So never mine, i will buy a new one soon. I tried before to put the comb and let it play with it. But it still the same. It is much harder to comb the leg than the body. Normally, he will let me comb on the body. But it won't let me comb on the leg and the fur started to have tangles and i need to cut off the tangled fur. I've been trying hard to control by say "No" on him but no difference. He won't listen and will runaway. But it's really funny to see him acting like this. Dunno want to laugh or upset about him. Hehe.. Really hard to train the this type of dog. I've been hearing my friends talking about the dog they have and really easy to overcome them on this matter. I will tried again this few days on him. Hope that he would listen to me...see ya, and take again here...

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

May 22, 2003, 6:22 AM

Post #18 of 79 (6991 views)
Shortcut

hi sibuk!!

nice to know someone from the same line...im a groomer as well...ive started nearly a year now..ive gone through grooming course and then now i'm working as a freelance groomer doing housecall and doing it at home.. i find tht a lot of people only send their dogs for grooming when their dogs are badly matted..its a shame to see dogs that have to be clipped down. hmm..can i seek advice fr ya if i have some trouble?i find that i had not been taught enough while i was doing the course..love to hear from ya
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

awlim
New User

May 23, 2003, 1:52 AM

Post #19 of 79 (6980 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sibuk,

I am new to my silky terrier. I found that his hair is dry and fluffy at the back part only. Do you hav any idea why it is so? Do you know which pet shop in Singapore / anywhere in KL that is selling the moisturzer spray as you said?

Besides, where can I find Cindra range product in Singapore / KL?

Hope to hear from you. Thanks!

With Regards,
awlimSmile
^apple^

serena
New User

May 24, 2003, 12:30 AM

Post #20 of 79 (6958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [awlim] I'm trained. Shall we share our experience? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi awlim

I have asked a friend of mine to purchase the CINDRA products from singapore.

I have tried it on my 2 dogs, silky terrier and american cocker. I would say the products is excellent. Smile

Will trouble my friend again to bring in more for me.

doodle
ALPHA

Jun 1, 2003, 6:42 AM

Post #21 of 79 (6929 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sibuk,

Nice meeting you. I have a basset hound which is 3 Months +. Does hound like him needs grooming too? Besides nail clipping, which I do it myself, and combing?
How do you lure the dog to stand still?
How old onwards shall grooming be introduced to the dog?
thank you for reading this.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 11, 2003, 2:54 AM

Post #22 of 79 (6910 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sibuk,

Mind sharing with me how long did the whole duration of the course took? Are there lots of grooming classes and courses available in Singapore? Thanks!

Sibuk
Novice

Sep 4, 2003, 10:11 PM

Post #23 of 79 (6767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [serena] I'm trained. Shall we share our experience? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Serena,

Glad that you've took my advise and courage to try out new products. They are indeed very good products but they are worth the money, rite?! What the products that you've bought, care to share with the group?

doodle
ALPHA

Sep 14, 2003, 12:47 AM

Post #24 of 79 (6708 views)
Shortcut

hi sibuk,

I haven't receive any reply from you yet.

Can I ask... why does doodle shed so much? is it normal for short hair dogs to shed as much from your experience?

Thank you

Sibuk
Novice

Sep 24, 2003, 12:19 AM

Post #25 of 79 (6675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] I'm trained. Shall we share our experience? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Doodle,

Sorry for the late reply. A basset hound normally has very short smooth coat and thus it requires minimum grooming.

To stand your dog, try to put your palm under the back belly, in such a way that you are trying to lift it up with your palm.

Grooming should be introduced to a puppy as young as 2-3 months old. Normally, a groomer will begin by just touching the dog to let it feel at ease. Slowly, introduce the comb, nail clipper, ear powder, electric clipper, then bathing, etc...

A groomer should not be too anxious but must slowly get the puppy to be used to grooming, else, the puppy might be frightened and this is bad for the dog. Always be patient.

Take care.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my