IN

Home: Events Calendar: Event Calendar:
How about an all breed dog club?

Remy

Mar 25, 2003, 12:55 PM

Post #1 of 9 (3128 views)
Shortcut
How about an all breed dog club? Can't Post

Laugh Being a relative newcomer (within the past 6 months) to Malaysia and a long time dog owner, exhibitor, breeder, etc., I was eager to attend the recent dog shows at the Mines this month. Had a great time and met many people. It seems that there may be an interest in starting a local (Klang Valley) all breed dog club here which would hopefully work under the auspices of the. Am I right?

The object of the club would be to allow dog owners to get together on a monthly basis at a convenient venue and share experiences and news etc. It would also be a place to find help with training for conformation handling and dog health questions and experiences. The club could also hold fun matches which are based upon the rules of the and although they do not offer CCs, they are a great place to start out new puppies and also to prepare owners and handlers for the shows. I think an all breed club would be best to start and then maybe from there specialty clubs could be formed. If there are any such clubs in existence now, do please let me know as I was unable to find anyone at the dog shows who knew of one.

If there are interested parties, please get in touch with me at joolzep@hotmail.com and we can go from there. Good luck in your future shows. Hopefully my registration forms will be completed and I can show in the next May shows.Sly

When I go to Heaven, if there are no dogs and horses there, then I want to go where they go!

arthur
ALPHA

Mar 25, 2003, 6:42 PM

Post #2 of 9 (3122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Remy] How about an all breed dog club? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Remy,

Sounds like a great idea! However, MKA members would have to get permission first before joining. They are quite strict on this issues especially where any sort of training is concerned. MKA members are not allowed to take part in any non-MKA sanctioned dog shows eg. inside shopping parades.

However, if this club is to operate under the umbrella, probably they may consider it. They do have individual breed chapters though.. eg. GSD and Boxers, Rottweilers are some chapters that are running and active.

Was rather unfortunate we could not meet up during the recent MIPE show. Spoke to your missus though..Smile! Rdgs to all...

Arthur

Remy

Mar 25, 2003, 11:39 PM

Post #3 of 9 (3104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] How about an all breed dog club? [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh Arthur: It was ME you talked to via phone at the Mines show. I can understand that MKA would not allow its members to participate in dog shows, but what I am talking about is a Fun Match, which is unsanctioned and solely for training purposes albeit FUN. I have not yet seriously talked to anyone at MKA about this yet, but if MKA has specialty clubs, maybe they are not averse to all-breed clubs. There are some breeds here that are not large enough in number to warrant a specialty club and these owners would benefit from an all-breed club. However, we shall have to wait and see what MKA has to say on the matter. Fun matches would be only a small part of an all-breed club and if not allowed, need not be a part of the club at all. Anyway there may not be enough people interested so it could be a moot point. I will keep you posted on what I find out.

Meanwhile, there is a question I have that maybe you would be kind enough to answer for me. If there is only one dog of a particular breed entered in an MKA show, the dog can possibly go Best of Breed. Does it therefore pick up a CC? I would think that it did not, but one owner I talked to at the show assured me this was the case and her dog had a CC although there was no other dog/bitch of the breed competing. The dog in question was a poor specimen of the breed and, in my humble opinion, not worthy of a CC. Can you clear up this for me?

The reason I am not clear yet on all these issues is because, as you probably know, the AKC shows are very different. Thanks in advance.

Olga (Remy)

When I go to Heaven, if there are no dogs and horses there, then I want to go where they go!

Riccaval
ALPHA

Mar 26, 2003, 12:25 AM

Post #4 of 9 (3101 views)
Shortcut

Hello, regarding the all breed dog club I think its a good idea.
As for the CC given to the only exhibit of the breed at the show, that is definately not the case. It all depends on the judge, if he/she thinks that the exhibit is not up to the standard the CC would be refused and so there will be no BOB. That I'm sure.
RegardsCool

Remy

Mar 26, 2003, 2:54 AM

Post #5 of 9 (3087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval] How about an all breed dog club? [In reply to] Can't Post

So what you saying is - that the dog in question probably did receive a CC on both days. I think that is appalling. I have no problem having a CC awarded to a dog that is a good specimen of the breed and holds up to the standard of the breed. But this particular dog - and it is a breed that I am extremely familiar with and have homebred champions in - should not have been awarded a CC. While I realize that the judge's opinion is just that - and I respect that - what sort of message does that send to the owners of a dog that should not be bred from? We should all be striving to improve the breed and in my opinion that should be the only reason we are breeding. Not to allow the kids to watch a birth and not to allow the dog/bitch to experience fulfillment. But then I know that responsible breeders and exhibitors already know that............Just letting off steam.

As far as the all breed club is concerned I will seed what kind of encouragement we get from MKA and how many owners seem to be interested. I think it would be a good forum for sharing and learning for all of us. And a great place to get together and share ideas, etc.

Thanks for answering my question. I still have to do some more studying on the classes etc. in MKA shows. It is totally different from the US but I have judged in the UK and so am familiar with those procedures.

Olga

arthur
ALPHA

Mar 26, 2003, 5:46 AM

Post #6 of 9 (3078 views)
Shortcut

Hi Olga,

Gosh..my brains musta been mixed up..Sorry OlgaBlush!

Currently to my knowledge, MKA has 3 speciality chapters ie. the GSDs, Boxers and Rottweilers. The Dobermann Chapter was dissolved last year. There were 2 GSDs, 1 Boxer and 1 Rottweiler speciality shows held for 2002. To have a speciality show, there must be a min.of 40 exhibits. As for the criteria to the setting up of a breed chapter, I have no information on that at the moment. Maybe you can update us on that.

Derrick has graciously addresed your query rdging awarding CC or BOB to a single exhibit in a breed category. I concurr with his reply. It is all up to the judge and his/her decision is final. I have seen cases where the judge has withheld the CC for a single entry in a breed category on several occasions. So how did you find the standard of our M'sian Boxers?

Rdgs Arthur

luckey
ALPHA

Mar 26, 2003, 6:17 AM

Post #7 of 9 (3074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] How about an all breed dog club? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi people

Well I am all for an all-breed club... MKA is great that it offers obedience training and we're also looking forward to all the conformation shows lined up for the year, but coz we're total newcomers to the game, we'd definitely find it really useful to have a platform to get, say, show handling experience and training.

This website puppy.com.my is a great place to be coz the members are very helpful, and we do organize get togethers to have fun and to help each other and learn. BUt as for organizing either "training' or "shows" i hear the is a bit sensitive... if there are people who have a foot in MKA, would love to see such a club established.

Remy

Mar 26, 2003, 3:03 PM

Post #8 of 9 (3068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] How about an all breed dog club? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone. Thanks for your responses to my queries. I respect the rules and regulations of the and hope to be able to work within those to form an all breed club. Does anyone have any idea why the Doberman specialty club disbanded? There seemed to be quite a few Dobie owners at the shows. So I presume it was not from a lack of interest.

Arthur, I was unable on both days to see the Boxers which was a great disappointment to me.. I had tried to find out the previous day about show time for Boxers but on the first day I was unable to stay long enough to see them. The second day I arrived early only to discover that they were the last of the Working Group to be shown and my husband and I were leaving for Langkawi so I was unable to stay that day. A big disappointment for me. I am presuming that there is much of the British bloodline in the Boxer breed here and I have always been impressed with the British Boxer. And in fact my foundation bitch was a British Wardrobes bitch. (Certainly shows my age!!!!!) Hopefully I shall get a look at them in May at the shows then.

As I see it, the purpose of the club would be to enable owners/breeders/exhibitors to get together and share ideas, experiences, health issues, etc. There would be no SHOWS, rather a FUN MATCH. That is, if we can get approval from MKA. A friend and I are hoping to approach MKA with the idea and sound them out to see how they feel. Meanwhile I will keep y'all posted on events.

At the show I did see a need for some owners to attend conformation handling classes. This is true of all venues and countries though. This is one area that we all can benefit from. I also saw some lovely specimens of the breeds and lots of caring owners. So please pass the word along to others who may be interested and maybe we can get an all breed club started here for those of us with breeds that are not large enough in number to have a specialty club. Thanks everyone.

cdmoo
ALPHA

Mar 26, 2003, 5:34 PM

Post #9 of 9 (3062 views)
Shortcut

hi Remy,

You have my vote! Smile

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my