Home: Breed Specific: Terrier Group:
Neutering Aust Silky

snowpuppy
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 9:24 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1014 views)
Shortcut
Neutering Aust Silky Can't Post

hi, i have a female aust silky terrier. just wanted some advice whether it is safe to neuter her. she is 2 yrs plus and i think she has had puppies before but i'm not sure because i got it from previous owner. is there a difference whether she had puppies before or not? because i was told it would be safer if she has had puppies.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Mar 26, 2005, 12:36 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snowpuppy] Neutering Aust Silky [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't make any difference to the procedure whether a dog has had puppies or not - in fact the sooner you spay your dog the better. Besides reducing the possibility of unwanted pregnancies, a spayed/ neutered dog is generally a healthier dog.

Let me share with you the story of my poodle Sophie. Sophie is a rescue dog who was given to me by someone who had got Sophie from the SPCA. Sophie's age is unknown but was estimated at around 13 years when I got her 2 years ago. Sophie wasn't spayed when I got her but she had mammary cancer and the cancer had spread to her lungs so it was safer not to spay her. Just over a week ago, Sophie was spayed. It was an emergency - she had pyometra - an infection of her womb which was filled with pus. Fortunately, the infection was caught early - most times, there is no sign of the infection and by the time the condition is diagnosed, the dog has blood poisoning and the only recourse is to put the dog to sleep. If Sophie hadn't got spayed, she would have died from the infection. The operation at least gave her a chance of surviving.

In the week since the operation, the stitches have been taken out but poor Sophie looks terrible. The operation has been very strenuous for her and she is still worn out after a week. She was on a drip until yesterday. My only consolation is that when the vet opened her up for the operation, he had a chance to see the cancer in her system and said it looked better than it appeared in the x-rays. Even now, I'm feeding her with a syringe with a combination of Brand's Essense of Chicken & Yoghurt and separately, Glucose.

The risk of pyometra increases with age. The only other dog that I had that also wasn't spayed - also a poodle - also died of a womb-related illness. I cannot stress enough the importance of spaying.

For more information about pyometra, take a look at this website: http://www.angelfire.com/...tiffBreeder/pyo.html

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

snowpuppy
Novice

Mar 28, 2005, 9:10 PM

Post #3 of 4 (977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] Neutering Aust Silky [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for all the advice. i will spay the dog. just some more queries.. will the dog have puppies after spaying, i mean just by chance that it was not right?

when i take her home is it true that i cannot bathe her for 2 weeks. i'm new and there is no place or anyone i can ask for advice. the vet doesn't tell me much except the price which is 300.

would appreciate for the 'before and after' spaying advice.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Mar 28, 2005, 10:08 PM

Post #4 of 4 (976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snowpuppy] Neutering Aust Silky [In reply to] Can't Post

RM300 is very expensive for spaying - it should be around RM200. Your vet should be the person providing you with information on spaying - NOT just telling you the cost. You need to question if your vet is interested in your dog and her health or in the fees he is charging you. They are called CONSULTATION fees for a reason. Ask around and talk to a few people and get their recommendations on vets before you decide on a vet. A good vet will always take the time to answer your questions and allay any concerns you may have about your dog's health. Even if the vet is busy, a good vet will ask you if you can wait or come back later to discuss your dog. If a vet is evasive, impatient or unwilling to answer your questions, you don't have to put up with it. Look for another vet. Afterall, would you put up with a doctor who behaved like that to you? I would hope not. Also, you should try and find 2 separate vets you trust. The reason is simple - sometimes, you may want to get a second opinion on your dog's treatment before proceeding.

With regard to your questions about spaying, when the dog is spayed, the uterus and the ovaries are removed. There is no possibility that your dog will get pregnant after she has been spayed.

There will be stitches after the operation. Don't let your dog jump around or strain herself after the operation. Keep an eye on the wound to make sure it is dry and does not appear red and weepy. After a week the stitches will be taken out. Until the wound is totally healed, don't bathe your dog. It could take up to a month to be absolutely healed.

After the operation, feed your dog boiled fish, boiled chicken, the stock from boiling and egg white. Add some vegetables like carrots and cabbage to the stock when you are boiling the chicken and the fish. Feed the vegetables to your dog along with the meat.

Some ppl worry that their dogs will get fat after spaying. It hasn't happened with any of my spayed dogs but keep an eye on your dog - make sure she gets regular exercise and eats healthily.

By eating healthily, I mean, no added fat, no sweet foods, no salt and lots of vegetables, oats and unsweetened yoghurt to supplement the usual dry biscuit/ tinned dog food that dogs are fed. Research has found that unsweetened yoghurt is good against bad breath in humans. It stands to reason that would also be good for your dog's breath.

I hope this helps.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my