First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gb_queenie
Dog Kichi

Mar 25, 2005, 7:25 AM

Post #1 of 27 (5933 views)
Shortcut
take care of pomeranian fur Can't Post

hi guys...

anyone have a pomeranian? please let me know how to take care of the fur.. one of my pom have a very very thick fur, and i have a difficulties after i showered him, the top edge fur in the body seems dry and a bit sticky, and everytime after i shower him, seems like he got alot of tangle fur, so i need to cut it.. is it because not dry enough (as a matter of fact, i dry him it takes almost 30 minutes)? or maybe i used a wrong shampoo? but when i took him to bath in the grooming centre the fur seems so nice and soft.. also when i shower myself, the fur is abit hard to comb.. i've got 3 poms, the other 2 seems fine when i shower myself, maybe because the fur is not as thick as this one.. please give me advice how to take care of very thick fur pom.. i like his fur so much and i want to keep it as thick as like now.. coz i dun want everytime ONLY shower him needs to go to grooming centre..

thanx guy.. hope to hear from u asap..

Frown a dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself Frown

May
Old Hand

Mar 25, 2005, 5:38 PM

Post #2 of 27 (5923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gb_queenie] take care of pomeranian fur [In reply to] Can't Post

You should try using All System shampoo. I find it easier to dry my dog after bath. Besides, before bathing you should comb your Pom thoroughly and making sure there are no matt or tangle. Once you bath a dog with matt and tangle, the water will make it tighter and hard to detangle thus u have to cut it off.

gb_queenie
Dog Kichi

Mar 25, 2005, 6:56 PM

Post #3 of 27 (5915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] take care of pomeranian fur [In reply to] Can't Post

thanx May.. so basically i had to comb it b4 i shower him rite... or maybe when i shampoo him, i squeeze2 his fur to make sure he's clean until his skin.. so it makes alittle bit hard to comb after shower???

Frown a dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself Frown

May
Old Hand

Mar 25, 2005, 7:59 PM

Post #4 of 27 (5912 views)
Shortcut

The first thing you should do b4 bathing your dog is to comb him thoroughly and make sure he's matt/tangle free. Then bath him with a good quality shampoo and conditioner. Rinse well. Towel dry and blow with a blower or fan. While blowing brush his coat and make sure it's all dry up. The coat will be soft and fluffy.

gb_queenie
Dog Kichi

Mar 26, 2005, 7:02 PM

Post #5 of 27 (5901 views)
Shortcut

owww.. Wink thanx huge mayyy...

what brand of shampoo u used for your dog??? I used mclee.. is it good? can u recommend any good quality shampoo n conditioner for my pao pei??? do you have pom also??? or chow2? i think chow2 fur and pom fur is the same rite...

May
Old Hand

Mar 28, 2005, 4:51 PM

Post #6 of 27 (5891 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I'm using All System shampoo for my dogs. It's a very good products. B4 I used normal brand shampoo and a bottle of 500ml can only last 1 month. I also have to spend more than an hour just to dry her up. But a bottle of 473ml of All System shampoo last me for 1/2 a year. It's very concentrated, rinse well and not to mention after your dog shake off the excess water, it will look like half dry edi.....really speed up the blowing dry time .

My mongrel used Mclee shampoo too but I notice the smell doesn't last so I changed to Fido.

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Apr 2, 2005, 6:48 PM

Post #7 of 27 (5875 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

i dont mean to be errmm busybody but kinda curious..why ur mongrel use fido only when ur chow can use all system?? i hope its not due to discrimination...Wink as i have a gsd and a pug mix..i treated them same ..no more for the pedigree or special treatment..im not being offensive ya,,Smile
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Apr 2, 2005, 6:55 PM

Post #8 of 27 (5874 views)
Shortcut

hey there,

well i guess its sticky bcos u didnt rinse your dog well and when it has tangle when u bathe then the shampoo will remain as the water cannot penetrate thru...brush before bathing is very important...n make sure ur dog is every inch dried.. use condtioner after shampooing and then when u blow dry, brush as u blow.. and also it will be great to have some oil mix in with water n spray it on the dog while blowing.. u can get bio groom vita oil n then get a spray bottle and mix in one small little cap with one 500 ml water..spray lightly over those dried area so that the coat doesnt break while u dry the rest of it
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

gb_queenie
Dog Kichi

Apr 4, 2005, 8:22 AM

Post #9 of 27 (5862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] take care of pomeranian fur [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there ritchie dog... thanx for the info, its very useful thou.. anyway its sticky bcos the edge of the fur is abit dry, but i just brought him for grooming few days ago and its okay already, getting smooth now.. However, before i shower him its already sticky, and because of that sticky, i shower him.. or maybe i put my silky cage beside his cage, and my silky pee (not squad down one), then maybe accidently go to his cage and touch his fur thats why become so sticky.. but after i shower still sticky Crazy *confuse* but then i bring him shower in the grooming centre and its going okay already.. so i abit confuse why before is sticky and bit dry at the edge of his fur...

May
Old Hand

Apr 4, 2005, 6:36 PM

Post #10 of 27 (5861 views)
Shortcut

Ok...just to clarify about the "discrimination" u mentioned.

I used to bath all my dogs (mixed, mongrel and purebreed) with Fido. I personally like Fido so much especially the smell. However, I noticed that by using Fido, it takes me more than 2 hours just to dry my Chow. After consulting some expert, they recommended All System. The shampoo doesn't give a nice smell, especially the pro whitening, but because it really speed up the blowing dry time so I use it on my Chow.

My mongrel was using McLee shampoo but cos the smell doesn't last and he'll start to have doggie smell after 2 days of bathing that is why I change to Fido. I bath my mongrel once a week cos he'll smell by the end of 1 week. My Shih Tzu mixed is using Fido all this while and I bath her every 2 weeks once as she's cleaner than my mongrel. Sometimes I bath her 1 month once. Nowadays I always recommended ppl with thick and dense coat doggies to use All System shampoo cos it rinse well and speed up the blowing dry time. But if they want a good smelling shampoo that really last then I'll recommend Fido.

Hope you won't say I'm discriminating too on the frequency of bathing them Wink.

(This post was edited by May on Apr 4, 2005, 6:41 PM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 9, 2005, 6:28 AM

Post #11 of 27 (5850 views)
Shortcut

All System is a good product. But I found human shampoo and conditioner is better. That is my personal experience. I use Pantene & Sunsilk for my Silkies.

Comb before bath. Always use conditioner after shampoo. Brush & Blow dry at the same time to untangle the fur. Use cool air to blow dry it (it take longer time) but it wouldn't dry the fur. At last daily brushing is a MUST!!!

Hope this help.Wink

gb_queenie
Dog Kichi

Apr 9, 2005, 6:45 AM

Post #12 of 27 (5841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] take care of pomeranian fur [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi chrisong.. thanx for the input.. but I'm still not dare to use human shampoo for my dogs... especially for my pomeranians..

anyway ur silky hair is very nice huh.. so straight and really "SILK"y.. I want to ask you how you take care of his fur? i brought my silky for grooming around 1 month + ago, then they cut it and made it abit like schnauzer style.. but then when the fur start growing, the hair become curly.. looks so ugly lar.. do u have any suggestion how to make his fur back straight again??? actually before grooming also his fur very messy one.. i dun know how to keep the fur tidy and straight.. somemore he very hyperactive, once I comb, when nice already, he started to shake his whole body, and messy again.. I dont really know much about silky, or maybe I dun know about silky at all, coz this is my 1st silky.. can u give me any idea how to keep his fur nice?

neways.. thanx alot dude...

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 9, 2005, 4:32 PM

Post #13 of 27 (5840 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

About the curly fur you can't really straighthen it unless you bring it to saloon lor. Hehehe

But you can try brush and comb the fur twice a day (long term) it will help straighten a bit.Wink

Like I told you before how I take care my Silkies fur. Peoples don't really believe in human shampoo & conditioner. Famous Breeder in US & Australia also recommend me to us human shampoo & conditioner ler (PANTENE).Wink What I found out is really true that human product are much better compare to dogs wan (personal experience). I personally try alot of the human and dog shampoo & conditioner on my Silky and the result is Pantene & Sunsilk.

Daily brushing and combing (once or twice a day) is a MUST!!! Use brush first to untangle the fur then only use comb. Minimise pulling the hair out!!! Stay in Air-cond room!!! Finally, keep them clean all the time.

gb_queenie
Dog Kichi

Apr 11, 2005, 8:24 AM

Post #14 of 27 (5820 views)
Shortcut

hi chrisong.. is it really have a grooming saloon for straightening the dog's fur? or u just kidding me? hehehehe... oh yeah 1 more thing i want to ask.. why my silky fur grow so slow.. although when it grows already his fur not as long as yours one... any suggestion to make it long faster?

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 11, 2005, 7:04 PM

Post #15 of 27 (5813 views)
Shortcut

Just Kidding. Hahahaha

Some Silky fur glow slow some very fast. You can't do much about it. What you can do is:-

1. Minimise pulling out the fur while combing/brushing.

2. Once or twice a week bathing (the less the better).

3. Use good Conditioner.

4. Air-cond room all the time (if you can).

5. Keep them clean.

6. A Balance ratio of Omega 3 & 6 Dog food.

Above is to promote hair glow. It can't speed up the hair glow. 1 of my Silky is also hair also glow very slow. It take almost 3 year of care to reach the actual lenght of the silky hair lor. Be Patience.Wink

gb_queenie
Dog Kichi

Apr 11, 2005, 7:24 PM

Post #16 of 27 (5807 views)
Shortcut

ok I get it... i thought my silky is different from others silkies lorr.. hahaha so worried.. coz his hair grow curly now (after grooming and having a cuthair, last time is straight, although not so straight, can say he's abit messy), somemore his ear is down, so sumtimes i put surgical tape, so now stand already but the top of his ear still down Frown.. is the surgical tape really work for making my silky ear up straight? coz i know that from my groomer.. coz dun know what i have to do hahaha..

i fed my silkies with nutro choice lamb and rice.. is it good for his fur? coz that food is good for my poms loo.. what food u feed for your silkies? oh yeah also, last time i feed him with a liver oil, coz i usually give my poms that to keep their fur healthy and nice, but after i feed him, he got diarrhea, so... i stop to give him already..

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 11, 2005, 7:33 PM

Post #17 of 27 (5806 views)
Shortcut

So far I never face any problem in ear standing lor. All my silky and also the puppies I previously bred the ear also stand up it self wan lor not need use tape.Wink

Nutro is good.Wink Currently I feed my Silkies Eukanuba Chicken. I heard Eukanuba is going to launch a new Holistic dog Food Soon in Malaysia (Lamb & Rice).

Never give to much of supplements. Once a while is OK. But long term will unbalance the nutrition with the dog food you feed.Wink

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Apr 11, 2005, 9:47 PM

Post #18 of 27 (5796 views)
Shortcut

Actually there are some grooming service can provide the service of straightening of dog hair. If I remember correctly is around RM150. The only problem it will only last for 2 days most. People just do this for show only. Anyway after the 2 days your dog's hair will be curly again but will be much straighter than before. If you don't mind paying the money you can do it.

I agree with chris. All my silkies puppies so far the ear will stand by itself. No need to use tape or anything. Sometimes the silky's ear doesn't stand up could be the parents of the puppy's ear doesn't stand. So the puppies inherited the feature.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

(This post was edited by kitconnie78 on Apr 11, 2005, 9:49 PM)

gb_queenie
Dog Kichi

Apr 11, 2005, 11:03 PM

Post #19 of 27 (5789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] take care of pomeranian fur [In reply to] Can't Post

wah only RM150 only gone for 2 days hehehehe.. where is it anyway? can you tell me?

yeah lor, i like silky with the ear stands, so if the fur grow longer the ear looks like butterfly.. very cuteee... but my one not.. well too bad.. have to put surgical tape to make it stand.. BUT the things is my silky very notty one, he always shake2 his whole body, after shake2 his body then the surgical tape also gone already, then i check his ear the tape is no longer there.. hehehehe.. anyway kitconnie, your silky very cuteeeeeeeeeee.. how u take care of her? are u using a human shampoo also like chrisong? wat shampoo u use? my silky hair very messy one, i comb him twice a day but no longer after that messy again, maybe he keep playing with my poms.. coz poms fur very tidy one la no matter how they play they still look tidy, only abit wet2 under the mouth, just need to comb, then okay already..

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Apr 12, 2005, 2:50 PM

Post #20 of 27 (5778 views)
Shortcut

The straitening only last 2 days but after the 2 days the silky hair will be much better than before and it will last. I did it for my silky in a pet shop is SS15. I will say after the treatment the hair of my silky become real silk.

Putting tape is a little hard to do if your dog doesn't like it and try to shake it off. One person who bought a silky from me told me that if you feed your puppy with calcium vitamin the ear will stand faster and easily. Not too sure if this is true but the person tried and it work for his puppy.

For my silky normally I only comb them once a day. Need to work not too much time to comb. Just make sure that the hair doesn't get wet or will get tangle up easily. When bath your dog use conditioner. This will help to keep the hair straight and also free of tangle. This is good because when you comb your silky's hair you won't pull and break the hair. For 1 whole week the hair will be easy to care and comb. I am using the #1 All system shampoo and conditioner like Chrisong. Is very good but a little expensive. The good thing is the shampoo and conditioner can last a long time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

carriepg

Jun 30, 2005, 8:16 AM

Post #21 of 27 (5697 views)
Shortcut

Hey Guys,

Is it really that i can use human shampoo for poms as well??I m really interested in using human shampoo. But i scare after use already got skin problem...

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jul 2, 2005, 4:49 AM

Post #22 of 27 (5680 views)
Shortcut

hi may,

oh ok now i know why u use different shampoo...well i do find using fido is harder to dry also..i just dunno why but ive tried fido when i do grooming for dogs and it took longer time to dry and when it's dry.. the hair doesnt look so nice... Crazywonder why...but forgive me if i say this..fido is not a good shampooo if u ask me..since u like nice smelling shampoo u might wanna try this shampoo which i used on my doggies...

the brand is called 'green house'..its a taiwanese brand n it has fruity smell..i love peach and papaya scent for my gsd and she smells great even after a few days and as for my little pug mix...i used sandalwood scent as she has body odour and so far not too bad..at least she smells good for longer period after bath.. the ear cleaner for this brand also great!!..

i understand how issit like blowing drying a chow after a bath and plus the shampoo tht makes it longer to dry..is like hell..ahhaa..thts why i very takut to groom chow...very long blowdry time..

May
Old Hand

Jul 19, 2005, 4:42 PM

Post #23 of 27 (5633 views)
Shortcut

I'm interested to try the taiwanese brand shampoo. Where can I get it?

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 20, 2005, 7:06 AM

Post #24 of 27 (5623 views)
Shortcut

ritchie_dog

u r a groomer? where do u work? Smile

Yang

Regards,

Yang

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Aug 8, 2005, 6:57 PM

Post #25 of 27 (5540 views)
Shortcut

hi may,

so far i only see this product in my friend's petshop in shah alam..e mail me at ivanwongkh at lycos ..

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my