frustrating house training issue

bilbo6209
New User

Mar 22, 2005, 12:09 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1055 views)
Shortcut
frustrating house training issue Can't Post

Hello all

We just adopted a 1 year old Beagle, he has a great personality and gets along good in our house. Here is what we know about his past; he was raised in an apartment, he was adopted once before but brought back for "house training issues". We believe that he spend ALOT of time in a crate (10+ hours in the day and then most likely the night too), why we think this is because he doesn't like to go into his kennel but as soon as his head is in it he goes right in and lays down.

OK now to the issue, Finny loves going outside and is good at doing his business out there. Finny goes to the bathroom in the house several times a day. I am thinking that this is because of being raised in an apartment, when house training a dog you put him outside if he piddles in the house, in an apartment you have to take the dog for a walk. I am thinking that he has just gotten into a habit of doing this in the house as reason to go for a walk. We're not sure what to do or where to go next, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 25, 2005, 8:05 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1025 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bilbo6209] frustrating house training issue [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

You assessment sounds spot on ... Chances are high that Finny eliminates in the bathroom because he was housetrained that way (when he lived in an apartment) ...

What to do next?

Well, trying to undo previous housetraining and retraining can be a long tedious process ... and if not done correctly, it can confuse the dog ... causing him to make mistakes (which mean lots of cleaning after).

May I suggest the following:

(A) If Finny using the bathroom to eliminate is not too much of an issue ... then just let things be ... Afterall, cleaning a bathroom is not too difficult ... and many people (with landed property) do housetrain their dog to use the bathroom ... It can be convenient - especially when its raining outside or cold, or both ... Smile

(B) And what you can try is this ... just watch and time his eliminations ... (Most doggies are quite regular, and most will have urge to pee & poop after meals) ...

Just when it's about time for Finny to do his business - take him into the garden & play with him, or take him for a short walk (Beagles love walks!!!) ...

And when Finny eliminates in the garden or during the walk - praise & treat generously ...

So, instead of specifically trying to re-train Finny ... you are re-training but in a very low-key, low-stress manner ... and I suspect, before long ... Finny will start going outside for his business all by himself ...

This way - if for some reason, it's not convenient to let Finny out - Finny will still have his bathroom ... best of both worlds ...Tongue

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 25, 2005, 8:08 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my