Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
'spraying' in the house

eli
Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2005, 11:24 PM

Post #1 of 18 (2979 views)
Shortcut
'spraying' in the house Can't Post

i hope i'm not asking sthg for which advice has been given but after checking previous threads, couldn't find anything, so here goes:

cadbury, one of 3 dogs we have and the only male, has been spraying his urine in several spots in the house, notably, rim of wastepaper baskets, edge of doors, and possibly direct hit on the back of my sofa too!
problem is, he does it during the night and i've never caught him in the act. this is a new place we've moved to a month ago but the new place can't be the reason. just discovered he was doing same in the previous house. reason it was undetected was bec i'd caught Tommy the cat 'spraying' and assumed all the markings were his doing! Tommy died about 3 weeks ago and the markings have not stopped. i've blamed tommy all this while so i feel bad that it's actually been Cadbury or maybe both of them in concert!

anyway, bec i have never caught cadbury in the act, how do i stop him?

tterrynick
Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2005, 3:26 AM

Post #2 of 18 (2935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eli] 'spraying' in the house [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there. i have the exact some problem. 3 dogs, only 1 male, new house, spraying problem big time!!! how how??? only manage to catch him red-handed a couple of times, scolded him on the spot, cleaned up, still back to the same problem.

have read through most of the posts in this section but still not much help.

have to admit it's getting on my nerves. but i still LOVE him a lot!

fatty lingling (left) and petite tutu (right), protected by handsome nicky at the back - my 3 precious babies.
now i have 4 babies but baby adek just cannot stay still for a photo-shoot!!

eli
Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2005, 6:22 AM

Post #3 of 18 (2854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tterrynick] 'spraying' in the house [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, looks like we're the only 2 having this problem!
cadbury stopped spaying for a while but was back to it last night.
at least u've managed to catch him b4. am wondering if not being neutered is the root to this problem. is your male dog neutered?
cadbury also tends to urinate at the exact same spot as the female dogs when we are outdoors. he actually waits for them to finish, sniffs a bit, then pees on the same spot!
other than this problem, he's just a big softie always eager to protect 'his gals' from other dogs, esp the stray ones ard the neighbourhood.
if u stumble on a solution, do let me know!

PSY
K9 Kaki

Apr 12, 2005, 7:56 AM

Post #4 of 18 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Hi, not sure why but I think it may be due to claiming of territory or maybe not just want attention. Try this, put newspaper all over your place then wait for the wet place and just clear that area but not replace the paper. Hopefully he will go to some other place with paper till the last spot you actually like him to go to. Then your next problem will be putting paper down if not he will not pee, is that good or bad, you have to decide. I realise it may not be good advise but at least you have the choice of deciding where he should go. Good luck.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Jan 23, 2007, 7:49 AM

Post #5 of 18 (2464 views)
Shortcut

Hi. I was looking for a solution for my problem of my dog marking all over the house and came across your problem.

I have four dogs - 2 male, 2 female - and the older of the 2 males, who is 2 years old, is marking all over my house. He began marking around the house occasionally about 10 months ago but in the last 6 months, it has escalated to the point that I have had to clean the floor two or three times a day. The younger male marks occasionally.

My solution to the problem at the moment is to put the older male in diapers which I change three times a day. I know this is not a permanant solution because it's costly to keep buying diapers but it's saving me a lot of time and energy now that I don't have to constantly mop the floor and get paranoid about the house smelling of dog pee. If and when the younger male escalates to marking constantly like the older dog, I'll have to put him in diapers too.

The other thing that I do to discourage the dogs from marking on the same spot is to mix a solution of 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 1 tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda (it will fizz when the two are combined), top that up with one cup of water and put the solution into a spray bottle. I wash down the area/ items that the dogs have peed against then I spray the solution and leave it to dry. When it dries, there is no vinegar smell. I usually add a couple of drops of aromatherapy essential oil to the solution to make the room smell nice while waiting for the solution to dry. Most importantly, the dogs are discouraged for two or three days from peeing where ever I've spray the solution.

In the meantime, I am looking for a permanant solution to the marking.

I hope this helps.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

mutt
Dog Kichi

Jan 26, 2007, 10:33 AM

Post #6 of 18 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Eli, how old are your dogs?

I have 3 dogs I had this problem or rather still have this problem at times. But its under control. If your old furniture has the scent of the cat or other dogs your male *alpha* wil start marking. If that house you are staying had dog previously can also be the reason why your dog is spraying.

Some solutions.

1. Clean all areas he sprayed with Clorox or some strong scented soap.

2. When he sprays and you catch him, bring him to that spot and Firmly in a standing postion tell him NO * You have to be the alpha dog here.

3. Sometimes, male dogs who suddenly take the alpha role is because its owners don't take it so the dog feels it has to and starts this markings.

4. Me and my wife usually will ignore the dog for a day or 2 if they do something wrong this is to tell them we are not happy with them. This have helped us with our older male from spraying, all over the place especially car tires, front door and eating bowls.

Hope it helped.Cool

eli
Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2007, 6:40 AM

Post #7 of 18 (2441 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] 'spraying' in the house [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Gus-Gus,
must say i was surprised to be notified someone had responded to this thread - it's been a very long time!
thanks for your reply. i'm not prepared to put Cadbury on diapers not cos it won't be 'macho' for him but because he does not do it during the day. i wake up to find certain spots marked. situation is now "helped" by one of the newer cats... and i've seen HER pee! i've tried the 'get off my garden' spray to no avail so i'm prepared to try vinegar the way u described. i tried vinegar before but without the baking powder. we have been pee-free for a few days... and i'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed!
thanks again.

eli
Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2007, 6:47 AM

Post #8 of 18 (2440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mutt] 'spraying' in the house [In reply to] Can't Post

hi mutt,
appreciate your response.
i had this sofa set upholstered before we moved to this brand-new house (not pre-owned!) in 2005 so i guess it's safe to say the problem is with Cadbury. he'll be 6 in july. the female dogs will be 7 and 4 in may and march respectively.

like i've said: never caught him in the act IN the house - all during the night when we are fast asleep. now, he seems to be abetted by one of the cats!
which is why it is so difficult to correct....
er, u r not suggesting i start "marking" my territory, are u? :)

thanks again. this might be a long, long problem!

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Jan 27, 2007, 8:30 AM

Post #9 of 18 (2438 views)
Shortcut

Hi there. You could put Cadbury into diapers just at night.

Monty only used to mark at night and I never actually caught him at it either. He had to be the source of the late-night pee stains in the kitchen because he was the only one of the two males who wanted to get out of the bedroom in the middle of the night to sniff around in the kitchen. We realised that he was peeing to mark his territory to deter a rat that had got into the kitchen. (Monty's a Westie - a breed with exceptional ratting abilities although Monty has yet to actually get the blasted thing. Not that his marking as actually detered the rat in any way because the rat is getting in to the cupboard under the sink (long story as to how it is managing this). Monty can smell the presence of the rat but has not been able to get it.

Then, as a reaction to Monty marking the kitchen, the other male began marking other parts of the house occasionally and that put Monty into overdrive. He still marked in the kitchen but in the day time as well as at night, though I still hadn't caught him at it. He's crafty.

Over the New Year, I had a friend's dogs over to stay and Monty got really territorial against the male. He began to mark all over the house in the day time as well as at night. It meant constantly cleaning the house. I decided to put Monty and the male houseguest into diapers as a temporary measure. However, when I noticed how much that freed me up from the daily grind of wiping down the floor in the whole house, I decided to leave Monty wearing his diapers all the time. He does sometimes work himself (Free Willy) out of the diapers and goes on a marking spree but it is again confined to the kitchen and I don't have to wash the floor every day now.

Monty wearing the diapers has also broken the cycle of the other male dog peeing to assert his own dominance. Hopefully, overtime, Monty will grow out of this unsociable habit and Pluto (the other male) won't take it up as his personal habit!!

Incidentally, how did you introduce your cats and your dogs? Which came first? I have two cats who live elsewhere and I really would love to have them with me and the dogs but am at a loss as to how to get them under one roof. I have tried putting the dogs in the cats' territory and the dogs have been ok but not the cats. One hissed. The other didn't react but he's a bit of a sweet dummy. The last thing I want is to bring the cats into the dogs' territory and for the cats to run off in fright and can't find their way back to familiar territory. My sister has cats and dogs but she had her cats before her dogs. Her cats are assertive while both dogs are not particularly alpha. The more alpha dog is a Westie but the cats are about the same size as him and bossy so he has learnt not to push his luck with them.

Thanks.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

goofydip
Veteran

Jan 27, 2007, 6:13 PM

Post #10 of 18 (2437 views)
Shortcut

oh hi eli..

does the vinegar solution works? actually Goofy has been toilet trained after I adopted him when he is 8 months old. Now he is 1 yr n a month old. I succeeded toilet trained him in around 2 months time. but recently i really don't understand why he started to 'spray' in my kitchen.Crazyhe did continue going to the toilet to poo and pee but sometimes he would go and spray some spots in my kitchen that really makes me headache...i tried as u do using 'get off my garden' but doesn't work too...

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 27, 2007, 6:54 PM

Post #11 of 18 (2436 views)
Shortcut

dear all,

FYI... the only liquid solution strong enuff to remove scent of a doggie's pee/poo is enzymetic solution, so...if ur lookin for a liquid cleaner, check for enzyme ingredient in em...

cheers

ezekiel 25:17

eli
Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2007, 4:42 AM

Post #12 of 18 (2419 views)
Shortcut

hi gus-gus, this is going to be a long post so hang on!

Vet thinks Cadbury’s a Finnish spitz mix. Dunno if that means he is prone to any particular talent, or in this case, misdemeanour :)

Thankfully, we only have one male dog but seems like we have the cat to contend with too now!

I suppose we could try the diapers but can’t bring myself to it as yet... perhaps one day....

To answer your question on the cats: the dogs came first. Patches and Cadbury found our first 2 kittens - the first, Tommy, was just days-old and abandoned by his mom in the backyard next door. (This was almost 5 years ago.) A few weeks later, they found (faeces-covered) Coco in the drain when we were out for our morning walk. Patches is very uptight about cats but knows the difference between our house cats and those outside. Can’t recall how we introduced them to Tommy but when I rescued Coco, I basically let her decide if she would stay or leave when i left for work that day. She stayed and is very at home with the dogs. Even goes for walks with us... The others somehow learnt to just sidestep the dogs. You are right abt the dogs. It’s the cats that react more. We brought Mickey back from the food court and can’t recall him having any problems fitting in, perhaps cos he was still young. Tommy died 2 years ago and we adopted Asher-Dasher from a vet’s clinic and he is ever so cool with the dogs. But Garfield, taken from my housemate’s office area, took quite a while to fit in but is now able to walk up to Cadbury and brush against him!

Garfield has 2 siblings that joined us last April. Blackie was hostile to everyone but my housemate but has since become such a sweetheart I will not be able to let him go despite earlier intentions to get him adopted. Speckles, however, is a different story. She was quarantined for a few months - first cos it was new place, then we found she was pregnant and later, cos she was nursing. She’d hiss and spit at the dogs when they came too near the closed door. Till today (kittens are almost 7 months old), she’s not entirely relaxed with the dogs or us and the other cats (save for her brother Blackie). But she does tend to stay home a lot. The cat I suspect of spraying (yes, I’ve seen her!), Specklet is a happy-go-lucky cat that will just sprint away if the dogs come too close.

Yup, the dogs and cats live peaceably together altho I must say each time we rescued a kitten/puppy, etc. we kept close watch but i’m happy to report that the dogs have been gentle on the felines. Actually, Cadbury pretty much leaves them alone (he's more into other dogs!) The girls will playfully nibble at the cats’ legs and more recently, the only kitten left - Persimmon - plays quite nicely with Patches and Pebbles. Real fun to watch.

And oh, when Pebbles joined the household abt 4 years ago, Tommy and Coco bullied her by eating up her food while she cringed at one side of the cage. Today, Pebbles delights in chasing Coco around! And should the cats get noisy or rowdy, the dogs shut them up by chasing them away! :)

eli
Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2007, 5:02 AM

Post #13 of 18 (2418 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goofydip] 'spraying' in the house [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

have yet to fully try the vinegar & baking powder mixture. is your dog neutered? could be the reason for the spraying. Cadbury is not neutered either and I wonder if the problem will be licked cos it's already ingrained.

and just today, i caught Pebbles (2nd female dog) spraying on a car tyre!!!

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Feb 7, 2007, 6:39 AM

Post #14 of 18 (2416 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for the explanation. It certainly gives me hope as to how to intergrate my animals. Sadly, today I confirmed that Ivan and Milly - my two cats - have left. There was another cat that has been coming into the compound and harrassing them for their food and, I guess, Milly and Ivan got fed up of not being able to eat in peace so they left. They haven't been around for four days now. My mother did try standing over Milly and Ivan to make sure they ate their fill before letting the other cat eat. But it was a bigger and very intimidating cat and it must have eventually terrorised them into leaving when we weren't around.

My mum and I were hoping to catch that cat and have it "done" which is why we fed it but that seems to have worked against us since it just got bolder and bolder and eventually chased Milly and Ivan off. Sigh! I'm rather upset that they've left but at least they were both fixed and not able to add to the stray cat population

eli
Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2007, 4:10 AM

Post #15 of 18 (2406 views)
Shortcut

sorry to hear about Ivan and Milly. They might still return, esp if there is no food source elsewhere.
your problem is similar to what we are still facing to a certain extent after Blackie, Speckles and Specklet came. Our 'citizen' cats stayed away for the longest time. up to now, only Mickey will come back to eat in full view of the "newbies", Coco hisses at them and disappears. Garfield sneaks in and out. Asher same.
In fact, hardly see Asher these days and i really, really miss him cos he'd come rest in my lap when i read the papers in the morning...
in short, it's been more difficult to integrate cats than introducing the felines to the dogs.
BTW, i forgot to add that except for speckles and blackie which went straight to housemate's room in quarantine cos they were so feral, each new kitten had been normally left in a cage with a box to hide in. the cage, however, is in quite full view of the dogs but accessible from one side only - this allows patches to come close and sniff (and grow accustomed to their smell and vice-versa) yet the kitten can be safe. the dogs are usually attracted to the food we offer the kitten!
sigh, also easier when it is still kitten, not full-grown cat.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Feb 8, 2007, 4:39 PM

Post #16 of 18 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Thanks. I'm still hoping that Milly and Ivan will come back. Afterall, life with us was pretty good until the feral came and spoilt things for them.

In the meantime, I have been offered a dog-experienced cat who is used to playing with dogs!! She's already fully grown and is currently being kept with a whole lot of dogs. Haven't seen her yet but hoping to by this weekend.

eli
Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2007, 3:24 AM

Post #17 of 18 (2362 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

any news of Milly and Ivan? or have you taken in the 'dog-experienced' cat? specklet is trying to worm a permanent place in my heart by sleeping on my chest most nites! :)

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Feb 20, 2007, 7:44 AM

Post #18 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Hi. Thanks for asking. The dogs have met with the cat. The cat was fine with the dogs but Monty was rather aggressive towards her - lungeing and barking at her. Billy was very calm and relaxed despite Monty's unfriendly behaviour - she didn't hiss or spit and her heart beat remained slow and steady. The plan now is for me to keep taking the dogs over to Billy's and hope that Monty will get used to Billy. If Monty can't get used to Billy, then I'll scrap the idea of getting a cat totally. If Monty can't be friendly to a cat like Billy then there is no hope with any other cat.

My mother has seen Ivan around - he shied away from her - but no sign of Milly. Ivan looked fed so at least someone is providing for him.

Gong he fatt choy.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my