Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
WILL NOT ALLOW NAIL CUTTING

3dogz2luv
New User

Mar 16, 2005, 7:51 AM

Post #1 of 15 (2750 views)
Shortcut
WILL NOT ALLOW NAIL CUTTING Can't Post

My 100lb lab will not allow my husband or I to cut his nails. The pet store & groomer will not allow us to take him there anymore because he acts insane whenever someone tries to cut his nails. I am concerned because I dont want my baby boy to be uncomfortable. My husband has even snuck up on him when he sleeps but we can only get one nail cut if we are lucky and then our boy starts running around the house. It sounds funny, and sometimes it is, but I look at him now, and his poor nails are so long, and we just want to take care of him. Anyone ever heard of this? My Denver would really appreciate it. Thanks.

carienna
Canine Addict

Mar 16, 2005, 10:47 PM

Post #2 of 15 (2738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [3dogz2luv] WILL NOT ALLOW NAIL CUTTING [In reply to] Can't Post

Some dogs are really like that.. sometimes it is because they kena cut too deep inside til it hurts so it became phobia...something like that ler...

My friend came out with this solution for his Cocker Spaniel that goes insane once you try to cut it's nails... They eventually bring the doggie out for a walk either in the evening or jogging in the morning.. and the rough tar road keeps the nail short

Frown

Golden Retrievers & Miniature Schnauzer are SIMPLY the BEST!!!!!!!

silvrash
Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2005, 2:01 AM

Post #3 of 15 (2702 views)
Shortcut

Hi hi,

This is common loh, most doggy don like cutting nails. Therefore to make ur work easier u hav to start doing it when they are young.

I start cutting my lhasa's nail when she was like 2mth or less... don remember so well. So now(9mth) she's ok with it. And i cut them like everyweek. But my terrir is not so loh, really have to lik force her down to do it at 1st,Pirate coz last time noone cut her nail(she's given to us) now.... a little better Laugh

For older dogs its harder, its either;

-cover his head with a rag(large) when ur cutting, don let him see. Get on person to hold his head & body and another cut. When you cut he'll tend to pull back his leg so you gotta hold it tight and still and snap it. He pull u hold.

-put him on ha high place where he cant jump down. and small to so he cant move too much.

-Give him treat afterwards.

-itf don work, then its ur choice, leave it(prefered no loh) or bring to a vet... they let him sleep(jab) for a while and cut them but that'll be costly loh.
www.wretch.cc/album/LilLiFashion

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Apr 13, 2005, 3:37 PM

Post #4 of 15 (2686 views)
Shortcut

There is a much easier and cheaper way. You can get medicine for car sick for a dog. Then you can give it to your dog. Once the medicine take effect your dog will be drowsy. Then you can start cutting the nails. The medicine got no side effect. It will last 3 - 4 hours.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

carienna
Canine Addict

Apr 14, 2005, 5:32 PM

Post #5 of 15 (2666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] WILL NOT ALLOW NAIL CUTTING [In reply to] Can't Post

car sick medicine for human? or is there a specific one for furkids?

Frown

Golden Retrievers & Miniature Schnauzer are SIMPLY the BEST!!!!!!!

ipoel7
Novice

May 3, 2005, 10:26 PM

Post #6 of 15 (2628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silvrash] WILL NOT ALLOW NAIL CUTTING [In reply to] Can't Post

hey silvrash

that's a coton de tulear in your photo right?
Attachments: paris udah gede.JPG (32.8 KB)

silvrash
Enthusiast

May 4, 2005, 9:07 PM

Post #7 of 15 (2614 views)
Shortcut

it work like sleeping pills??? coz they seem to hav "dog sleeping pills". but they juz giv lik quarter of it and the doggy goes drowsy Crazy

silvrash
Enthusiast

May 4, 2005, 9:11 PM

Post #8 of 15 (2613 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ipoel7] WILL NOT ALLOW NAIL CUTTING [In reply to] Can't Post

i wish it was mine loh Tongue

i got it online Pirate and i don got a coton myself.

by the way, is tat a coton??!!! cute gal !!! erm or guy Tongue

ipoel7
Novice

May 5, 2005, 12:58 AM

Post #9 of 15 (2605 views)
Shortcut

yup.. he's a coton de tulear. my dog's name is Paris :>

kitconnie78
ALPHA

May 5, 2005, 1:33 AM

Post #10 of 15 (2597 views)
Shortcut

Not sleeping pills. It just keep the dogs drowsie. The amount must be small or the die will die.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

kitconnie78
ALPHA

May 5, 2005, 1:34 AM

Post #11 of 15 (2593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [carienna] WILL NOT ALLOW NAIL CUTTING [In reply to] Can't Post

Specific for furkids.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)

Toy
K9 Maniac

May 5, 2005, 3:13 AM

Post #12 of 15 (2588 views)
Shortcut

where can we get it? u tried on ur dogs b4? how many dogs u have?

kitconnie78
ALPHA

May 5, 2005, 7:44 PM

Post #13 of 15 (2575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Toy] WILL NOT ALLOW NAIL CUTTING [In reply to] Can't Post

You should be able to get it from vet. I have 6 dogs in my house. I normally used the it when i take my dog to travel in car. It will them with car sick.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)

silvrash
Enthusiast

May 6, 2005, 3:30 AM

Post #14 of 15 (2563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ipoel7] WILL NOT ALLOW NAIL CUTTING [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, cool!!!

i believe there's hardly any coton here in M'sia, if got maybe a "few" only coz its so rare and... "EXPENSIVE" PiratePirate

i checked the other website, its like 1k++ pound, and thats like RM7k++... excluding all the process fee....

u must be rich to hav 1, and lucky too

*i'll get 1 too, when in rich* dreaming~~~~TongueTongueTongue but now i'm already too poor handling all my buddies(doggiess)PiratePiratePirate 10+4 =14

ipoel7
Novice

May 6, 2005, 11:19 AM

Post #15 of 15 (2556 views)
Shortcut

haha i'm not in malaysia. i'm in USA. that's where I got him :>

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my