Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
sleeping with dogs

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

j9yne

Mar 15, 2005, 8:06 AM

Post #1 of 57 (4323 views)
Shortcut
sleeping with dogs Can't Post

I recently heard from a friend, that his doctor told him, sleeping with dogs can lead to a lot of health problems for human. I've checked the internet, and all that i found is that dogs can transmit worms or skin diseases. is it true that sleeping with dogs can create a lot of health problems for us humans(for dogs that are fully vaccinated, tick-free and are healthy)?

some dog professionalist claims that by sleeping with ur dogs, ur dog can "climb on top of ur head" thus, he will think that he's the pack leader. of course there other professionalist who also disagree with that. anyone has any comments?

thanks Smile

current doggie at home : junior (silky terrier) Frown
my wish list : ckcs Frown

(This post was edited by j9yne on Mar 15, 2005, 8:07 AM)

llchoong
Dog Kichi

Mar 16, 2005, 12:55 AM

Post #2 of 57 (4308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j9yne] sleeping with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh shit, my dog sleeps with me every night

Tiggykoh
Dog Kichi

Mar 16, 2005, 3:17 AM

Post #3 of 57 (4299 views)
Shortcut

My dog sleeps with me everynight too. Not too sure whether she thinks shes the boss.....Crazy

Think it would be a big issue if you have allergies to fur, otherwise there shouldn't be any problems right?

j9yne

Mar 16, 2005, 6:27 AM

Post #4 of 57 (4287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tiggykoh, llchoong] sleeping with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

i hope it isn't true too... cos my dog sleeps with me Crazy

anyhow, i brought my doggie for his annual jab this afternoon. and since i was already there, i consulted the vet. he said it shouldn't cause any major health issues for human unless the dogs have worms/skin problems, or if we ourselves have allergy towards them. other than that, it should be ok. so... what a relief!

but i still haven't found out about the other issue yet...

i think my dog will be heartbroken if i ban him from my room Unsure

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 16, 2005, 6:28 AM

Post #5 of 57 (4286 views)
Shortcut

My dog sleep with me also. I think if we clean them daily and take good care about their health there should't be any problem lor.

So, for dogs that did't take care that have ticks/fleas, skin problems, worms & etc. chances to transmit to human are high lor.

MisterStan
Doggyman

Mar 16, 2005, 7:36 AM

Post #6 of 57 (4278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] sleeping with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

most of us sleep with our dogs.. LaughLaughLaugh

musashi
ALPHA

Mar 18, 2005, 6:01 AM

Post #7 of 57 (4247 views)
Shortcut

My Taro sleep with us in the same room,he dislike to sleep on my bed..he will only play for a while on the bed then he will jump down and sleep at his favarite spot..

Once he kena the ticks and my whole room n bed was full of ticks... but then we still leep with him.after I spray abd killed all the ticks,,,lukily no more ticks...just cannot leave him out of the room...just for the love of our dogs..

Blush I am the man with dog's name

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Mar 18, 2005, 8:44 PM

Post #8 of 57 (4236 views)
Shortcut

my 2 goldens sleep with me in the same room but in their own crate..i dont think its bad if the dogs are clean plus my goldens are those dogs who will wake up suddenly and check out on us.

i dont need those *brrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg* alarm clock. i am happy with licks from 4 inches tongue in the morningsSly

j9yne

Mar 19, 2005, 1:09 AM

Post #9 of 57 (4223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] sleeping with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

seems like most of us sleep with our doggies... we really do spoil them huh? Tongue

anyway i'm quite relieved after consulting the vet the other day... and i've been keeping my dog clean, so i hope it isn't much of a problem.

and my dog's like an alarm clock too. i think they can tell time better than the real clock itself . he'll lick my arms first... and if that doesn't work, then he'll go for my cheek. LOL.. but sometimes, after a long outing/training.. the "clock" malfunctions.. and sleep through like a baby .

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 23, 2005, 9:23 AM

Post #10 of 57 (4176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] sleeping with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello all ...

While it is true that some forms of skin infections (eg ringworm etc) and parasites (ticks, lice etc) can pass from dogs to people ...

If your dog or pup is healthy & clean ... free from ticks, lice & such like ... then there is no harm letting your friend sleep with you ...

By and large - if your dog is kept indoors ... and you take reasonable precautions like a wipe down after walks & play in the garden ... dogs are clean ...

All our dogs live in-house with us ... they share our day-beds, couches, cushions, pillows etc ... We just take basic precautions and everything is fine ...

The precautions are:

(a) Regular deworming ... (b) Regular grooming ... (c) Regular washing with good shampoo and proper drying ... (d) Regular use of FrontLine ... (e) Regular check for ticks, lice & fleas. If such parasites are found we go straight into action making sure no parasites are allowed to drop-off and breed ... (f) Regular checking of coat & skin for any form of skin infection ... (g) Keep the garden clean & parasite free. Pick up all poop immediately.

As for issue of hierarchy ... If your dog is reasonably well trained and you are consistent in approach ... there should be no problem with issue of dominance either.

If you wish to share your home or room with your dog - YOU have to maintain discipline that is fair, reasonable & CONSISTENT...

The discipline does not have to be harsh or hard - just firm ...

So, right from the BEGINNING you must set the rules as to what the dog can or cannot do and be consistent ...

If you wish to sit the dog MUST make way for you ... If you wish to take a cushion - the dog MUST surrender the cushion ... Do not allow the dog to get possessive over any item of furniture or bedding ... the idea is to teach your dog to share and not to possess ...

Cheers

scout
Dog Kichi

Mar 23, 2005, 10:21 PM

Post #11 of 57 (4146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] sleeping with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Wah.. spoken like a true expert

I agree !!!

Cheers,

G

j9yne

Mar 24, 2005, 2:29 AM

Post #12 of 57 (4133 views)
Shortcut

Hi surchinmy

I was kinda surprised to see ur reply... it's been a while since I saw u around here.. Tongue

Anyway, I do take the precautions as mentioned by you. He's lives indoor... but goes out for walks/trainings.. and after these outings, i always clean his paws and body. And so far, he hasn't got any health/skin problems... so I think everything should be fine

About the hierarchy.. I read somewhere that, if you are sleeping with ur dog, and if he growls at u when u try to roll over, or shift his position.. then that isn't a good sign. But until now, my dog doesn't do that. He's fine with whatever position I shift him to. And he doesn't mind if I somehow, during the night roll over to his side. He doesn't show any possessiveness towards any item in particular.. but he does like to sneak up and share my pillow during the night Sly

Anyway, I'm really glad to hear from you. Your positive reply makes me very relieved . Thanks Cool

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 25, 2005, 7:30 AM

Post #13 of 57 (4107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j9yne, scout] sleeping with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi hi ...

Yes ... been away from PPcom for a while ... been busy these past few months ... with work and other doggie things ... Smile

Your dog sounds just fine ... and I don't think sleeping with him or him sneaking onto your pillow is gonna cause any issue ...

Our problem is trying to find a couch or day-bed big enough to fit all the doggies at once ... The big dogs especially are such babies ...

Speaking of babies ... we are hoping to recue a litter of puppies in a couple of weeks or so ... they are going to be the cutest puppies (we think Tongue) ... Right now they are too young to be rescued and we will wait until they are about 4 or 5 weeks old ...

So ... if you have any friends who wish to give a puppy a good home ... do let me know ... thanks

Cheers

Sydney
Doggyman

Mar 26, 2005, 12:08 AM

Post #14 of 57 (4086 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Is true that dogs give diseases to mankind if they sleep with their dogsPirate.

Dogs have backterias. you have 2 noe this if it's ur dog....

Ur dog eats food, licks his mouth, coughs, sneeze... All of these contains backteria. This backterias cause sickness if u sleep wif them many timesPirate. If u didnt take a dog to a vet..... and u didnt noe weither ur dog got backteria, u sleep wif him, next day olediPiratePiratePirate.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

j9yne

Mar 26, 2005, 12:21 AM

Post #15 of 57 (4082 views)
Shortcut

Hi..

Hehe.. with that many dogs... I can imagine the Pirate, trying to find a bed that can fit all of them at once... LOL... I wish you all the best ya . And your big dogs being such babies.. ahhh... so adorable Laugh..

And I'll let you know if there's anyone who wants to adopt any puppies.. Wink

Oh.. and about your book, it's still with me in good condition.. I haven't finish it yet because of my exams and stuff.. I'll return it to you once I've finished reading it. Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 26, 2005, 1:01 AM

Post #16 of 57 (4076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] sleeping with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Now - while I wouldn't say that dogs have absolutely clean mouths ... *Tongue* ... A dog's mouth is not as bad as you might suspect, considering what dogs sometimes dig their noses and faces into ... *Crazy* ...

An interesting article

www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IBX/is_2003_Feb-March/ai_97515424

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 26, 2005, 1:01 AM

Post #17 of 57 (4076 views)
Shortcut

Crazy ... deleted

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 26, 2005, 1:04 AM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 26, 2005, 1:05 AM

Post #18 of 57 (4070 views)
Shortcut

Take your time with the book - no rush ... Smile

Cheers

Sydney
Doggyman

Mar 26, 2005, 5:50 AM

Post #19 of 57 (4050 views)
Shortcut

LOLLaugh! How come? I want to read sum article. Since i got nothing to read aboutTongue. So r u still feedin the stray dogs which comes to ur houseSmile?

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 26, 2005, 6:52 AM

Post #20 of 57 (4030 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Yes ... Smile ... we are still feeding stray doggies ...

So - what kind of articles do you want to read? Let me know and I may be able to find some for you.

Cheers

Sydney
Doggyman

Mar 28, 2005, 6:21 AM

Post #21 of 57 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

You know the article about the doggies mauled the kid? That 1 i hav 2 read. Read to know wich 1 was picked out. Aniway, wat will happen 2 the dog which attacked the kidFrown?

Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 28, 2005, 11:15 PM

Post #22 of 57 (4003 views)
Shortcut

there are also some advantages of having to sleep with a dog.

they can wake us up early in the morning, develop closer relationship, as a bodyguard.

to me i feel that dog can sometimes help us to killed bacteria and virus.

i believe dog saliva can killed virus coz last time when i used to have skin disease, kinki tends to lick on my leg.

and now i doesn't have any skin problem ever since i start to have kinki witn me

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Mar 28, 2005, 11:19 PM)

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Mar 30, 2005, 3:30 PM

Post #23 of 57 (3969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] sleeping with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

My dogs actually sleep with me too. The only problem is my dog will wake me up early in the morning.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

bullylicious

May 21, 2005, 1:16 AM

Post #24 of 57 (3775 views)
Shortcut

Sleeping with dogs is not only unhygenic but as well as the dog will be to dependant on you.No matter how clean or how often you shower your doggies..they will still be dirty because remember..they sleep on the floors,walk in and out and you might not know what they've picked up when you're not seeing.We cannot see with our bare eyes what is on their body but definately not what it seems to be.

By letting them sleep alone is automatically training them to be alone eventhough when you're not around.In my opinion it would be wise only to let them sleep with you when they're first being brought back from the breeder..you can do that for maybe less then 1 week and then you have to start training them to sleep on their own wether in a crate,play pen or in another room.Put a toy or two for them to chew or play.Normally young ones will sleep for a bit longer time then the adults.By that way you can also have your peace in sleeping and if you don't want to disturb.When they are around you when sleeping time,they tend to want your attention either to play or just your company.Believe me,i've been there and done that and sharing thru experience only.I have two english bulldogs and they both sleep downstairs in their play pen on their own during night time and I have no problem with them as they do not poo or pee inside their play pen but only when I let them outside in the garden in the mornings.Good luck with your training as it will only do you and your dog good..personality wise and healthwise as well.

BULLYLICIOUS INC SAYS "MESS WITH MY BULLDOGS,GET THE SLOBBERS!"

chrisong
Doggyman

May 26, 2005, 1:04 AM

Post #25 of 57 (3748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bullylicious] sleeping with dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

It actually depend on how you train and take care your dog. My Silky all stay indoor and I will wash their legs and butt and comb them twice daily. They are clean like us.

At night when I go to bed they will sleep and do not disturb us. Like I say it all depend on you how you train and care for your dog lor.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my