Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
puppy peeing on it's bed

pepperdog
New User

Mar 22, 2003, 12:23 PM

Post #1 of 3 (747 views)
Shortcut
puppy peeing on it's bed Can't Post

Hi...a question, why would my puppy be perfectly content to lie in a peed bed. We have a pom/poodle cross .In it's cage it has a nice comfy bed with newspaper in front in case we are away a bit too long or she can't make it through the night. She will poop on the paper but makes no effort to pee,opting to pee right where she lays. HELLLLPUnsure

^CYTRQ^
Novice

Mar 23, 2003, 5:55 AM

Post #2 of 3 (741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pepperdog] puppy peeing on it's bed [In reply to] Can't Post

hello pepperdog,

hahah!!! toilet training!!! havent we all been through this with our puppies. i've been through wet beds (my own), wet carpet, wet doggy beds, wet sofas etc etc etc. i think we, as dog owners, would have gone though this at some time during the first few months of our puppy ownership. its not that difficult a problem to overcome, provided you have a lot of patience and the ability to forgive your peeing pet. puppies as a general rule will have to relieve themselves approximately every 3 hours until the pup is about 4-5 months old. sometimes even more.

you mention that your pup is in a cage. how often do you let your pup out to the garden to do its business?? and how old is your pup?? firstly, a puppy is unable to distinguish between a bed and a sheet of newspaper as a toilet. so you can't expect your pup to pee on the paper just because you left it there for him. if your cage is small, it makes no difference where he pees, because whereever he pees in the cage is probably going to be really near where he sleeps anyway. think about it.

how to rectify the problem?? this is from my own experience (and has worked perfectly). my 5 month old labrador is also confined in a cage at times. for the first few weeks, she used to pee in it as well no matter what time of day(or night) it was. but now she can hold on to her pee for quite a long time until she is let out to do her business. the best way to achieve this is to form some sort of routine for your pup. firstly, understand your dog's peeing/pooping routine and work around it. pups will have to pee/poo in the morning as soon as it wakes up (not unlike ourselves) and also after it plays, drinks, eats, and before it goes to bed at night. so, make it a routine for you to take your pup out for a walk/ let it out in the garden in the morning. watch him for a while. as soon as he is peeing or pooping, give him lots and lots of verbal praise. do this everytime you let him out of the cage. i hope you let your dog out of his cage often, because theres nothing more pitiful than a puppy stuck in its cage the whole day.

your pup will soon learn that he wont have to pee in his cage since he's being let out in the morning and whenever. don't be lazy, cos you'll end up being more and more frustrated. do your job and your dog will reciprocate. theres nothing worse than having to clean his cage everyday when you can avoid it.

hope this helps. remember to be patient.

good luck!!

pepperdog
New User

Mar 23, 2003, 10:06 AM

Post #3 of 3 (731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [^CYTRQ^] puppy peeing on it's bed [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank-you ^CYTRQ^ for the info.Yes patience is a virtue for this puppyLaugh. You asked how long it's caged...Well every second week I'm on day shift , so for that week she's in her cage for 4 hours, than out for an hour ,and back in for 3 and a half hours. Then she's back in at night when we retire. Shes 3 and a half months old and she does her business outside when taken out(about every hour and a half).Once again thank-you.Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my