Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
Poo all over!!

fionas
New User

Mar 7, 2005, 6:33 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1887 views)
Shortcut
Poo all over!! Can't Post

Hi, I'm new here in the forum. I recently got meself a puppy, American cocker...I feel like exploding already. My pup poos and pee everywhere. The best part is, after he poos, he steps on it and it will be all over the placevery nasty mess

. I keep him in the play pen as i am working. I play with him heaps when i'm back or before i leave for work. I've tried many things, like the chemical spray, treats and all...it's so tiring to clean after him and he doesn't learn...any tips or advice as what else i can do? he's 3 months old

MisterStan
Doggyman

Mar 7, 2005, 8:08 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1883 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fionas] Poo all over!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hello fionas

the best way is to train your puppy to pee/poo in newspaper/toilet/outside

using those substance to train your puppy won't really have affect... i have tried a substance that is in liquid form, and it is said that when i drip few drops on newspaper, the puppy would pee on it.. well, didn't really turn out successfully...

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 8, 2005, 6:22 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1871 views)
Shortcut

fionas~

im facing the same problem too, & mine is 10x of urs Crazy Pirate

well, i found a way to solve this, go to the section of doggie eating poo problem, invite the doggie to come to ur house, everything settle.

just joking, hope u dont mind... but my problem is 10x is true.

Welcome here!

Chen Yang

Regards,

Yang

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 9, 2005, 5:05 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1868 views)
Shortcut

seriously...that's a tough thingy poop and stepping on them. Frown at puppy stage, he is not that good at holding and controlling his urges to pee and poo.

one way is to keep an eye on him when he walks around in circles and sniffs the ground. that is normal signs of pee or poo need.

keep an eye when he is doing his business...praise him when he does it right and quickly pick him up so you can clear his mess. it worked when we did this with shalom who has a nick of walking whilst she poos and even actually nipped her poo! it takes time but as he progresses and with your patience all would be well.

also some pups eliminate as different timing. shalom had one clear poo session which we noted to be 5-10 minutes after meal. so we always kept an eye on her at those moments for poo. yes i even ended up sitting down in her pee poo area for 30 minutes just to make sure she poos for me to clear up.

pee...after waking up from a sleep (we humans too) and after playing, kiddo will want to pee as well. so keep an eye. keep him in the pee poo area and watch him. always praise him when you pick him up.

remember you do not want him to think that it is wrong to pee and poo. he won't understand what is dirty or what is not. no point blowing your top after damage is done....just keep quiet and clean up after him if you did not ctach him doing it wrongly. prevention is always the best, so watch him for his signals and pick him up once he is done with his business.

and what happens when you're at work?...i hope this is not too much to ask, but it would help if you could take something like thursday and friday off...and then coupled with the weekend, spend time and watch him closely and pick him up...over time he will learn not too walk and step on his pee poo.

poo for some furkids is like toys....with shalom, that was our nightmare. good thing that she has grown out of it but not without a lot of patience and supervision from our end.

lapdog
Novice

Aug 17, 2005, 3:06 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1701 views)
Shortcut

Its very hard to train a new puppy when you are working. Are you able to take a vacation for a weeka or two?

Puppies pee and poo every hour or more. Is the area he is in large enough, so he can go and then stay out of it? Cover the floor or the pen with newspapers. Every day or two, take some of the newspapers out. If he keeps going on the papers and not the floor, then continue to take some papers out every couple days, until you have just one paper in there and he goes on that.

When you are home, take him to the papers on the leash and tell him to pee on the papers. When he does, make a big deal and praise, praise, praise!!! Point to the pee or poo and say "Good pee pee" after he goes.

Make sure you are feeding good quality food and DO NOT over feed! Stick to the amount recommended on the package. Feeding too much will cause diarrhea. Dont give too many extra treats, either. If you are using treats to train the dog, get something soft so you can break off the tiniest peice ever and use that for reward.

adelena
New User

Oct 20, 2005, 7:55 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1639 views)
Shortcut

Hi...i am new as well....i kinda share the same prob as u do however, my condition is slightly better than yours. My pup (candy) is 3mths+ old....we have tried the housebreaking aid in liquid form....doesn't work, period. So we went on to try newspapers on the toilet floor and near the kennel....doesn't work either. Cos she ends up biting the newspapers thinking its her toy. Which would leave a mess around the house especially after she has pee-d or poo-ed on it. Thank god she doesnt step on her poo/pee and runs round the house. She does eat her own barf though. Anyways, now we bought 2 pieces of rubber mat and place them in 2 strategic spots. Most of the time she does pee on them as we leave the pee stains on it. She has yet to be fully house-trained but i am trying my best. My mom and I work as well so during the day, my aunt comes to play with her for a while.....relief her....then candy goes back in the kennel till we come home. Does the pee/poo cleaner really work? The one that removes all stains and smell.....

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my