Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
shih tze grooming (nightmare)

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 4, 2005, 5:23 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1532 views)
Shortcut
shih tze grooming (nightmare) Can't Post

Whenever i try to groom my shih tze... i need some help on where to start....

Should we start from the leg till the top part or reverse?

Whenever i tried to groom my dog.. it like to sleep on its back and start to bite my hand...

Is there any good place where i can groom my dog while remove fine hair in its ear? I read from a web site that it MUST be remove to maintain good health....

How much would it cost me and how long will it take?

Sly
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Mar 4, 2005, 8:25 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [entrapnet] shih tze grooming (nightmare) [In reply to] Can't Post

hey there,

well its all up to u where u wanna start brushing your dog..usually we start with the legs n then moved on to the body.. thts very normal for a puppy to bite your hand while brushing as its almost like a game to him/her,,

try putting your dog on a grooming table or any table so tht he/she will get used to it..dogs are afraid of heights therefore some behave better when on the table n this also teach them to know that once on the table its grooming time..

as for removing the hair inside the ear, u can do it yourself but u need to purchased ear powder to remove it.. or the best thing u could do is get ur dog to a groomer or someone experienced and let them show u how to do it and u could do it on ur own the next round or so...

it will only take few min if your dog is good but if ur dog doesnt cooperate then it might take longer.. but max i would say 15 min? tht is inclusive of calming down ur dog n not only plucking the hair out ya..so dont misunderstood ...good luck
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 4, 2005, 9:47 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] shih tze grooming (nightmare) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm.... table... what type of table do i need to get?

When do you groom your dog usually? my dog like to stay close to my body rather than apart of it... so it is quite hard. when i touch its belly, it start to sleep on its back to bite my little finger or the brush.Wink

I read that we need to get a comb for its head hair. What type of comb should we get?

As I'm using metal brush (which is recommended when i get my dog), will it hurt my dog? how do i ensure it doesn't hurt on its end?
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

silvrash
Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2005, 2:09 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1402 views)
Shortcut

I put my lhasa on a taller stool when i start to brush/cut nail/ trim when she was younger. No need too tall loh, juz somthing that she dn tdare to jump from and not to large so she cant move around.

is the hair short or long??

i long u use the comb like on if short use the type broad & with many wire one(it'll make the hair look fluffy)Laugh.

hurt it?? he wine or stop leeting u brush him?? if no then should be ok leh.
www.wretch.cc/album/LilLiFashion

meiyoong

Apr 12, 2005, 4:55 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1386 views)
Shortcut

I face the same problem as u do. My shih tzu likes to bite my hand whenever i start grooming him. I need another person to hold the shih tzu for me during the grooming. Normally i did not do the whole body grooming. I will juz do a bit of trimming near his hand and tummy. My shih tzu hates grooming coz he had a bad experince.Unsure

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my