First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 4, 2005, 5:12 AM

Post #1 of 33 (2044 views)
Shortcut
Shih Tze training on sitting Can't Post

Dear all,

I'm having issues on training my shih tze to sit and don't bite ppl....

My dog will wag its tail when it saw me come home and fetch him (inside my room) but once i release him from his case.... he will jump out and start bitting...

I try few ways to by saying no bite... soft... then louder.... Pirate

it turn out to be worst....

as i need my dog to sit, i ask it to sit.... sometime it work but not all the time.... any tips..

From Entrapnet

Sad
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

meiyoong

Mar 4, 2005, 6:53 PM

Post #2 of 33 (2034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [entrapnet] Shih Tze training on sitting [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm.........mayb u can try holding some treats in your hand and command it to sit. If it sucessfully do, then u give him a praise + treat. As for bitting, i will buy some toys for my shih tzu to bite (to change its attention).

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 4, 2005, 7:20 PM

Post #3 of 33 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meiyoong] Shih Tze training on sitting [In reply to] Can't Post

Threat? What type of threat that you use? Its quite hard to find threat in Penang....Mad

Can you recommended one brand and how many types of threat did you purchase?

As for the toy... i have purchase a small ball with a bell in it... everything it chase the bell ball, it keep on barking which is annoying when it is 3am in the morning.

What is the toy that you have purchase or can recommended?
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

MisterStan
Doggyman

Mar 4, 2005, 7:25 PM

Post #4 of 33 (2027 views)
Shortcut

well, you can use kibbles to attract them.. i use kibbles to teach my shih tzu how to sit..

toys, any toys lah.. teddy bear to balls with bells..

meiyoong

Mar 4, 2005, 10:59 PM

Post #5 of 33 (2018 views)
Shortcut

I'm using Iams Puppy biscuit (yellow box) as treat. My shih tzu really like it. I guess u can it in may petsop. As for the toys, u need to discipline him. I did not give the toy to him the times coz this will eventually make him easily boring with the new toy. Usually i will keep the toy when it at night.

MisterStan
Doggyman

Mar 4, 2005, 11:35 PM

Post #6 of 33 (2014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Shih Tze training on sitting [In reply to] Can't Post

a treat that i use is Pedigree Tasty Bone...

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 5, 2005, 6:30 PM

Post #7 of 33 (1998 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
a treat that i use is Pedigree Tasty Bone...

Yeah... i just purchase this one but i'm a bit angry with its colouring ... the one with yellow color seem to be ok but the brown color one seem to mess thing around Mad

For my shih tze (named Benji) which is 11 weeks... take around 5-10 minutes to chew one bone.... is this normal?
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 5, 2005, 6:33 PM

Post #8 of 33 (1997 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I'm using Iams Puppy biscuit (yellow box) as treat. My shih tzu really like it. I guess u can it in may petsop. As for the toys, u need to discipline him. I did not give the toy to him the times coz this will eventually make him easily boring with the new toy. Usually i will keep the toy when it at night.

hmm... i shall try to keep its toy at night... hope it will apperiate all the toy i buy for him.... Laugh

Iam puppy biscuit? I shall check with my vet and grooming centre. I hope they got this item for me to purchase.

What type of toy you like to purchase for it and how many should i get to ensure it doesn't get bored.
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 5, 2005, 6:39 PM

Post #9 of 33 (1996 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hmm.........mayb u can try holding some treats in your hand and command it to sit. If it sucessfully do, then u give him a praise + treat. As for bitting, i will buy some toys for my shih tzu to bite (to change its attention).

I have tried to ask it to sit to receive the threat.... how to consider as sit?

All leg spread wide on the floor

\ o /

/ \

or

the head simply stand up looking at your hand while the front leg is stairght and the back leg is rested.

o\ <--- dog head

// __ <-- leg

I try to say Benji... sit....

It sometimes just run and bite my hand ... or sit on both type of method.

Please help this novice shih tze owner
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

MisterStan
Doggyman

Mar 6, 2005, 1:57 AM

Post #10 of 33 (1993 views)
Shortcut

i do not give 1 piece to my shih tzu... i gave half piece... easier to bite if break into half piece...

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 6, 2005, 7:55 AM

Post #11 of 33 (1988 views)
Shortcut

another half how? u eat ar

Regards,

Yang

MisterStan
Doggyman

Mar 7, 2005, 3:44 AM

Post #12 of 33 (1977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Shih Tze training on sitting [In reply to] Can't Post

i break the biscuit into half. bcs i got 2 dogs, so i feed the other half to other dogs..

if you only have 1 dog, then what you can do is, to break all the biscuit in 2, and to feed each time 1 piece.

hey, yuinhun ask me to try the biscuit.. it is delicious wor...

too bad the biscuit run out of stock.. i went to several places, can't find the biscuit..

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 7, 2005, 3:47 PM

Post #13 of 33 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Yeah... talking about that brand (iams pupppy). I went 7 pet shop but can't seem to find it. Since you can't find it too, what did you use as thread?

Another question how large is your dog now? Mine is just 28 CM (3 months)....is this normal?
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

MisterStan
Doggyman

Mar 7, 2005, 4:43 PM

Post #14 of 33 (1967 views)
Shortcut

i use Pedigree Tasty Bone (Milk Flavour). LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

meiyoong

Mar 7, 2005, 6:27 PM

Post #15 of 33 (1960 views)
Shortcut

I buy before the Pedigree Tasty Bone b4 for my shih tzu. It is really hard n my shih tzu take a hard time to finish it. The Iams biscuit usually available at et where they sell alot of Eukanuba dog food. If u can't find that biscuit, mayb u can try the milky stick(orange color pack, not Pedigree brand!). My shih tzu loves it also.

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 7, 2005, 7:19 PM

Post #16 of 33 (1956 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I buy before the Pedigree Tasty Bone b4 for my shih tzu. It is really hard n my shih tzu take a hard time to finish it. The Iams biscuit usually available at et where they sell alot of Eukanuba dog food. If u can't find that biscuit, mayb u can try the milky stick(orange color pack, not Pedigree brand!). My shih tzu loves it also.

totally agree! Pedigree tatsy bone really hard for my dog... but it is good as the time it take to chew can save my time to do other thing like play my ps2. It take around 15 minutes to get one done ^_^

milky stick? Can you tell me the exact brand? can i import it? One of my dog vet told me to get a dog jerk for it to chew on.... is it ok?
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

meiyoong

Mar 7, 2005, 8:42 PM

Post #17 of 33 (1954 views)
Shortcut

Okla.........i check for u the barnd for milky stick. I tell u later coz now i'm in university online.Crazy Usually i buy the milky stick from Giant. My shih tzu loves it veli much coz the smells good By the way, r u staying at KL?

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 7, 2005, 9:24 PM

Post #18 of 33 (1947 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Okla.........i check for u the barnd for milky stick. I tell u later coz now i'm in university online.Crazy Usually i buy the milky stick from Giant. My shih tzu loves it veli much coz the smells good By the way, r u staying at KL?

milky stick at Giant... i'll try to find over my place. I'm from Penang. If i failed to obtain it, i'll take flight to KL or drive with my shih tzu to buy that stick. I hope it will work wonder on him.

Thx for your help.

But my doggy still need alot of training on sitting... the only thing it know how to do is sleep on its back and wait for me to tickle it.
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

meiyoong

Mar 7, 2005, 11:35 PM

Post #19 of 33 (1945 views)
Shortcut

The brand is JerHigh with orange color packing. It is a zip packn cost around RM 7.90. Hope u can get it.

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 9, 2005, 5:17 AM

Post #20 of 33 (1940 views)
Shortcut

try making your own treats?

we make our own...very easy and tasty too.

get some chicken breast. cut it into small strips. then steam it and flatten it with a spoon...and then bake it for 180C for 15-30 minutes...depending on your microwave or oven.

the left over juice (stock) from the steaming can be used to make furkid some soup or mixed with his food for some extra yummy factor.

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 9, 2005, 5:31 AM

Post #21 of 33 (1936 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The brand is JerHigh with orange color packing. It is a zip packn cost around RM 7.90. Hope u can get it.

acknowledge... i think i saw that before at the grooming centre... will check it out!
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 9, 2005, 5:33 AM

Post #22 of 33 (1935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Shih Tze training on sitting [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
try making your own treats?

we make our own...very easy and tasty too.

get some chicken breast. cut it into small strips. then steam it and flatten it with a spoon...and then bake it for 180C for 15-30 minutes...depending on your microwave or oven.

the left over juice (stock) from the steaming can be used to make furkid some soup or mixed with his food for some extra yummy factor.

... is this ok to fed my dog? i think i prefer to stick to branded item to ensure its health... my vet advice me to fed my dog more

1.7 lb last check
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 9, 2005, 9:24 PM

Post #23 of 33 (1922 views)
Shortcut

what was recommended is home made. no preservatives and no coloring. i leave it to your best judgement as to which is better..."branded" laced with colorings and lots of flour (I have to admit that these treats are convenient and taste yummy - almost savoury if you have tried it) or something home made which is human grade (the same chicken you buy for home cooked food for humans).

shih tzus can sometimes be picky eaters. i used to beg shalom to eat...literally "pls eat girl". we experimented wth so many brands and in the end resorted to home cooked and barf. these days, feeding is breezy...and vet certifies her good and healthy...no skin prob etc.

if your vet says feed him more (i assume he's probably a little under weight), you can incorporate healthy treats and ask your vet for some multivitamins as well.

how's the sitting coming along? we can get shalom to sit properly for a short while only...then she'll just plonk onto her down position (lazy girl)...unlike her other cher-chers and ko-kos who stay sitted until we give the release command....sigh.....

entrapnet
Novice

Mar 9, 2005, 10:29 PM

Post #24 of 33 (1918 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
what was recommended is home made. no preservatives and no coloring. i leave it to your best judgement as to which is better..."branded" laced with colorings and lots of flour (I have to admit that these treats are convenient and taste yummy - almost savoury if you have tried it) or something home made which is human grade (the same chicken you buy for home cooked food for humans).

shih tzus can sometimes be picky eaters. i used to beg shalom to eat...literally "pls eat girl". we experimented wth so many brands and in the end resorted to home cooked and barf. these days, feeding is breezy...and vet certifies her good and healthy...no skin prob etc.

if your vet says feed him more (i assume he's probably a little under weight), you can incorporate healthy treats and ask your vet for some multivitamins as well.

how's the sitting coming along? we can get shalom to sit properly for a short while only...then she'll just plonk onto her down position (lazy girl)...unlike her other cher-chers and ko-kos who stay sitted until we give the release command....sigh.....

The sitting work great with the threat... that's why i plan to get more type of threat to reward it (Benji).

My dog look so fatty except when i hold it on its upper part. Maybe it is too active.

I'll try to get my maid to cook as you teached. You seem to know hokkien. Are you from Penang/Ipoh?
Entrapnet
[Benji's owner]

meiyoong

Mar 10, 2005, 1:08 AM

Post #25 of 33 (1912 views)
Shortcut

Hmm .............u r rite. My shih tzu also quite picky in his food. I have to mix some treats inside his biscuit first before he eat it. If no, he will hunger himself untill he tak boleh tahan.Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my