Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Breed Specific: Hound Group:
How to motivate beagle not to sniff the ground so much during obedient training?

kbs
Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2003, 8:10 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1968 views)
Shortcut
How to motivate beagle not to sniff the ground so much during obedient training? Can't Post

Hi All,

Just want to bring up a discussion that maybe all of us can share our idea/experience on how to motivate our beagles to pay attention to us more during obedient training, instead of sniffing the gound all the time and forget totally about us. Unsure

I entered snuffy (my 18 months beagle) for the recent obedient trial, she did everything okay except her heel work. (She was too distracted with the scene on the ground)... Even before the trial/training, she was heeling alright but the moment she entered the ring, her nose like stick to the ground only.

I know beagles are scent hound and it's their nature to sniff, but there must be a good way of motivate them to do well in obedient too, as I've seen many beagles excel in obedient overseas and if their beagles can do it, our beagles must be able to do it too. :)

During training, I always use a very tasty treats like slices of sausages etc, and that has work during training and she did improve her attention on me, but the moment I go without it in the ring, it's a totally different story again.

Anybody, any ideas?

Regards,
KBS

(This post was edited by kbs on Mar 19, 2003, 8:10 PM)

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2003, 10:52 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kbs] How to motivate beagle not to sniff the ground so much during obedient training? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi kbs,

I know we're not allowed to give treats during the trials but you mean you're even not allowed to carry food in your pocket? Wah, if like that susah-lah Crazy ! I remember our trainer suggested that we rub a bit of vicks (or was it minyak angin?) just under the beagle's nose to prevent them from sniffing. But I think he might be just joking. I haven't tried it though, or rather don't dare to try coz afraid might upset the dogs even more. So far, I'm trying to teach Bodhi to look at me everytime I say the command "watch". Sometimes it works, but other times, she couldn't care less. By the way, how many beagles were there during the trials and how did they do?

kbs
Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2003, 11:20 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] How to motivate beagle not to sniff the ground so much during obedient training? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ivan,

Yes, we are not allowed to carry food/treats with us during obedient trial. I have tried once to rub a bit of perfume underneath snuffy's nose, it did not work at all and in fact, it made it worst (for my case), I think she got upset and totally ignore me and press her nose to the ground further and don't even bother even when I placed a cheese sausage infront of her.. (I think she must be wondering how come everywhere smell the same now Crazy)

Last weekend, Me and Cheng See were the only two daring one with beagles in obedient ring Cool, altough there were like many many beagles for comformation, but none of those go for obedient.

I have tried many methods on snuffy, initially by the jerking action with choke chain (didn't work), then treats (only work during training), lot's of praise (mm... that one doesn't seems to work on snuffy).. she still sniff, sniff and sniff...

Regards,
KBS

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2003, 1:47 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kbs] How to motivate beagle not to sniff the ground so much during obedient training? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi kbs,

One of the trainers told me yesterday that we have to keep talking to our beagles all the time to get their attention. He took Bodhi and demonstrated (heel, sit etc)....and surprisingly, Bodhi was looking at him all the time, hardly sniffing around. I wonder whether it was his technique or Bodhi was looking at him because she's thinking "who is this strange man talking to me?Crazy". But my problem is, I DO talk to Bodhi all the time during training and yet, sometimes I am virtually non-existent to her (especially yesterday CrazyCrazy!). Really pening-lah.

wkser
ALPHA

Mar 25, 2003, 7:06 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1934 views)
Shortcut

hi binsoo,
yesterday i read an article about heel work at ring in USA......there is one owner he managed to stop his dog sniffing(hound dog)...by teaching her "leave it" command maybe you can give a try to snuffy......Wink

regards
kangser and nous

ginl
ALPHA

Mar 25, 2003, 7:58 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] How to motivate beagle not to sniff the ground so much during obedient training? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey i think sometimes it's how the handler carries his or herself and the perception of the dog towards the handler....last time during obedience class, Biscuit was terrible at heeling....he wud sniff the ground too, tried to catch the tail of the dog in front of him etc....but everytime our trainer took his lead and walked him, he walked real good! I noticed whenever our trainer take the lead of any other dogs, the dog will automatically behave quite well...once passed back to the owner, gone lar Tongue....cud be the air that the trainer gives out...dog knows that aiyah our mummy and daddy walking us aarr...nevermind wan lar.....it's true i think....even with James, Biscuit walks better coz he's more afraid of him than me Crazy

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2003, 10:02 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] How to motivate beagle not to sniff the ground so much during obedient training? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ginl,

Your quote - "I noticed whenever our trainer take the lead of any other dogs, the dog will automatically behave quite well".

Hah! Cool That is so true. Bodhi doesn't care even if I flick the choke chain Unsure. She just carries on doing her stuff Mad.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my