Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Socializing, playtime, tricks and things....:
tricks with Roxy

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Feb 26, 2005, 6:12 PM

Post #1 of 23 (4893 views)
Shortcut
tricks with Roxy Can't Post

1. we put on some irish tap music and start tapping our feet on the floor, roxy jumps on us, put her paws on our chest and move around (2 legged) dancing with us.

2. taught her "leave it" to avoid temptation. i would have a nice juicy bone in front of her and say "leave it", she will not touch it till i give her the release command.

3. i play "hide & seek " with her. i have 3 plastic cup, i hide a treat under the cup, move it around and make her choose which cup the treat is hidden under. i also hide and let her find me. she is good at this.

4. i make her jump on me on command. when she does a good job, i give her a "high five". i taught her which is her right paw & left paw. i taught her to kick.

5. i taught her name of items around the house, so far she know what is ball, rope, toy, paper. she is learning cup, remote..hahaha. we just want to make her work for us.

6. we taught her to "sit pretty" when she puppy sit so she will be more ladylike.

7. we taught her the word"walk" so when we say "u want to go for a walk" she will go and get her leash.

8. we taught her to tap her food bowl when she is hungry.

9. i taught her that when i am in the kitchen, she should just lay down at the kitchen door and watch me and not get into the kitchen when i am cooking, and when i see her wanting to move into the kitchen, i will ask her "human like" now what did i told you, stay there. and she will have her butt plonked back on the floor watching me.

10. all food / treat given to her, she has to sit before eating, she SHOULD NEVER jumped up and snatch food from our hands and she knows this.

11. we have taught her "look" so when we see something she may chase, we say "look" and while walking, she will "look at me" thus avoiding the things we dont want her to look.

12. when are bring her to a restaurant, she is trained to sit/lay down quietly and mind her own business. she is trained to never pee/poo in the car.

13. we are teaching her "to jump rope" so we will let u all know if we succeed.

so this are some tricks that we have taught our 7 months old golden retriever. i am sure groovemaster the JRT owner has some for small dogs:) it takes a lot a lot of patience esp with a puppy.

AriSa
Novice

Mar 1, 2005, 1:06 AM

Post #2 of 23 (4852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] tricks with Roxy [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked Wowww !!! What a brilliant G.R u have !! & I really adore how much my lil westie could do even half of all these tricks ! Do you mind share some ideas on how to train / play some tricks with my pup? He only knows he has to 'sit' whenever he wants to get his food frm my hand and shake hands wif me....

I know all these tricks really need time & patience....Could you pls teach me a trick or 2 ,like " leave it" & "high5" ? TQ Very much!!!

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Mar 1, 2005, 4:55 PM

Post #3 of 23 (4840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AriSa] tricks with Roxy [In reply to] Can't Post

Ari, no biggie, forum is about sharing. i will tell Roxy that she is good for her tricks..i owe it to roxy's co-operation, we are just merely 2 crazy humans that dont want her to be bored so we make her work for us.

as for leave it,

make him sit, and put a favourite toy / treat on the floor and say "leave it". he will want to snatch the toy/treat first, but cover it with ur hand and make him sit again and praise/treat him. take ur hand away and if he still want to snatch it, repeat. if he just looks at u and at the treat on the floor, say "leave it". he should be able to NOT touch the treat while its on the floor and wait for your release command. if he succeeds, praise him lavishly. it will not happen overnight as its very hard for dogs to resist temptation but this is very useful if ur dog is notorious to pick up every thing on the ground esp during walks. advanced stage, you can teach him "look" which he has to look at you and wait for a command.

as for high 5

if he has perfected his "give paw", put ur hand up like how u would give another person "high 5" and say "high 5", his paw should come up slightly higher and match ur hand. its fairly easy and once he has mastered it, you can even make him "high5" in other ways like jumping on u to high 5. you dog has to understand "jump on you" on command so he wont think jumping is ok. we taught roxy "hold it" so we will give her fast command like "jump up" high 5" and "hold it" so she is in a position where she is up on her hind legs, her paws on my hand and she is leaning on me..what does she looks like.....ballroom dancing with her mommyLaugh

most tricks are inter related, if ur dog is food orientated, its easier since he will do anything for a treat. if he loses interest, stop and repeat when he focus. "look" is a good command to gain attention. give him a lot of playtime with u, he will want to do everything he could to please you. i like westies:) but i am more of a retriever person.

AriSa
Novice

Mar 1, 2005, 6:27 PM

Post #4 of 23 (4828 views)
Shortcut

Wow ! Thanks A lot for D tips ! I'll start teaching my Dear lil westie these tricks 2Day !!! Smile

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2005, 7:42 PM

Post #5 of 23 (4821 views)
Shortcut

Very good show 4 a GR who’s only 7 mths old. Great work. Wats ‘sit pretty’ anyway? Does it mean sitting without legs ‘kangkang’ n can a male dog b taught 2 do it? Is it 1 leg folded over d other while lying down? Jumping rope will b 1 helluva trick, good luck.

My JRT can do a no. of tricks but not d fetch d leash 1 (well done again, Roxy). Doesnt like 2 wear d leash n would rather go naked anytime. If u r in2 dancing tricks, u may wanna try dis book, ‘Dancing with Dogs’ (cant remember author tho’). Small, compact book with some pretty neat moves for owners n dogs.

Know wat u mean by needing patience, especially 4 puppies. With JRTs n terriers, just as difficult due 2 their independent nature as dey just dont c d point in trying 2 please anyone …unless it involves play n toys. My JRT just loves d ball n will do almost anything 4 it short of fetching his leash. Does ur GR do retrieving tricks? I think dey really look d part ven dey r fetching balls n running around in d parks.

Groovy (JRT), ‘I can b quite tricky…especially with tricks!’

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Mar 2, 2005, 2:26 AM

Post #6 of 23 (4798 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groovemaster] tricks with Roxy [In reply to] Can't Post

i cheated abit cause i got a GR which is easier to train and really really want to please me..Cool i do agree terriers and JRT are a bit stubborn. good luck on getting a beagle to do stuff for you too. I saw on TV a JRT + beagle cross, the dog look a bit long like daschund but JRT muzzle and beagle color.. very odd but damn obedient..i am very amazed!

"sit pretty" means, she used to sit with her thigh resting on the floor, puppy sit lah this is mostly predominantly in puppies. it can be an indication that the dog has HD cause the dog will sit on one side all the time but Roxy dont have particular leg she sits on. i think she finds it comfy to sit on her thighs than her butt. so i will tell her "sit pretty" and move her into a beautiful sit (butt on the floor, 2 hind legs aligned together). i think male dogs can be taught to do this.

jumping rope, i am teaching her now..so far 2 weeks past and she havent quite get it yet...we are trying some more. i am also teaching her "go find" where i will hide a piece of bone/treat and guide her to find it like a police dog. i am teaching her this so that i could let her help me find our best friend's cat who is lost at the moment. i am also hiding treats in the ground for her to find but i am not letting her walk all over the place but guiding her so i have more control of her.

yes she does retrieving tricks, the best retrieving trick that we didnt even taught her was water rescue...i have a video that i am unable to attach here as it is too big. but it showed her swimming into the ocean. going to my "pretending to be drowning" husband, circle him to he can grab hold of the leash, then look back, pulling him to shore and licking his face to make sure he is alright..i find this amazing and the best trick she pulled on us so far. it was most valuable to see her do that, it could be the bond.

right now...if i can only make her do all her tricks in front of an audience..hahaha:) but her tricks benefitted us as we have a more manageable dog to live with...as she is growing bigger. I adopted a rescue dog recently who is almost 2 years old.. a lot of work has to be done on him esp training...so in maybe 6 months down the road, i could write about training old dogs with new tricks.

groovemaster, do share ur JRT tricks...

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2005, 8:40 PM

Post #7 of 23 (4778 views)
Shortcut

Yup Beagles r not easy 2 train as dey alwys follow deir noses n r very food oriented. Know a Beagle ‘Hana’ who can perform d treat balancing on d nose trick n, upon d owner’s signal, with 1 swift flick gobbles up d treat. She got 2nd place for d trick in d recent puppycom K9 Day. She is Groovy’s running buddy n can also catch a frisbee if thrown at proper heights, so she’s pretty talented.

With d skipping rope n dancing tricks, u need to be a bit careful as ur GR is still a pup n any jumping shld b limited 2 couple of inches from d ground till she’s 1 yr old ven her joints r more developed. Even den, d sessions shld b short. Great water rescue performance, mayb she can audition 4 Baywatch, Langkawi. Which beach does Roxy go 2?

Performing in front of an audience shldnt b difficult 4 a GR. She just needs 2 b familiar with d atmosphere n environment n dis can b achieved through socializing sessions eg. dining with ur mutt, walks through pedestrian areas. Normally, it’s us (d owner) who suffer d nerves ven performing in public, ven v rush about n give d wrong signals which further confuses d dog. Dont worry too much bout d dog, if u r calm n hv ur dog’s attention, ur dog will perform well.

U r absolutely right bout tricks helping 2 make dogs more manageable. Keeps dem physically n mentally stimulated n dey get in2 a lot less trouble, especially 4 JRTs. Groovy, being a JRT, does more physical tricks like twists n turns, weaving through legs, catching frisbees n his fav…d ball, anything round n bouncy will do! Sometimes ven he’s real excited, he can even do a spin on his bum. Very hard 2 explain, must c 2 appreciate.

Groovy, ‘Makan bola, minum bola, mimpi pun bola…’

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Mar 2, 2005, 9:52 PM

Post #8 of 23 (4774 views)
Shortcut

ohh so u were the one with the JRT that won 1st place for tricks at the recent K9 day. congrats again. yes i saw the beagle. Roxy knows how to bounce food off the nose but as i say if got audience dont know if she will do it. Have u ever taught your dog to carry metal in their mouth? I know dogs are quite weary about carrying things in their mouth esp metal like keys & cans. we put her toys on her nose to bounce up and catch too.

as for jumping rope, its really not that high as she will probably just jump 2 inch on 4 legs on grass. but as of now, she is not jumpingSly maybe message not getting thru...when i skip rope, she just either sits there or want to chew the rope...but hopefully she will get the message.

we normally go to PD lah, but the furthest end so its far from ppl and better beaches. the beaches in PD are really not too fantastic but it will do for now. too bad i wanted to bring her to Langkawi but i cant bring her on the ferry without her sitting at the cargo section.

I havent taught Roxy frisbee catching yet as she is still a pup and i know she want to just jump jump...so right now she is contented with catching balls at her height level. she could be sitting at one end and i throw a ball at her and she will catch it and bring ti back..so its pretty cool. me, sometimes lazy owner will also make her catch her treat from a far...and she thinks this is a game so it's kinda funny when i tell her "catch" and if she missed, treat fall on the floor and i quickly say "leave it" and she is like in the "freeze" mode and looking at me and looking at the treat..then giving her release command, she will happily eat the treat and coming running to mummy wagging her tail madly..so nice

JRT are great dogs, they look so compact and really very active...i think if roxy jumps on me like how a JRT jumps in an owner's arms, i will fall to my butt, she is heavy to carry but fit.

BTW - how to teach weaving pole? roxy seems to outsmart herself all the time even with treat. we will try to guide her but she take short cut and will go on the other side and take the treat..any ideas?Crazy

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2005, 4:15 AM

Post #9 of 23 (4719 views)
Shortcut

There r a no. of ways 4 teaching ur dog 2 weave, c puppycom link: www.agilityability.com/weave_poles.htm. Dese r advice from real agility enthusiast n d info is quite technical n methodical but makes good sense. Wat poles r u using? I’m using thin bamboo poles which works 4 small dogs but 4 bigger dogs, u may need poles which r more flexible n can bend at d base as d dog may just walk through them. Dont place poles too close, 2 feet apart is a good length 4 a large dog.

If u r using treats, clasp her fav treat in ur fist, bring it 2 her eye level n entice her 2 walk through d poles in a zig zag manner, meaning ur fist will hv 2 move in d same manner as well…sideways in n out, in n out d poles. May hv 2 use shoe racks/foot stools/bricks (placed at 45 degree angle) 2 block n guide her pathway so dat she moves through d poles n not slip out by d side (can also use garden mesh tied 2 poles 2 guide dog). Better 4 u 2 walk along one side of d pole at first, preferably on d right side as dog has 2 enter d weave with d 1st pole on her left under competition rules. Who knows, ur dog may bcome so good at it dat u may decide 2 do agility as a hobby.

Initially, she’ll only b focusing on ur fist movement. Ven she’s more proficient, get her 2 watch d poles as well 2 weave smoothly…den ur fist movement can b minimised 2 just being held straight ahead bside d poles. I think most dogs need 2 get pretty excited b4 dey can perform d weave with speed n precision which means u need a really motivating treat/toy.

Pole weaving is d hardest agility obstacle 2 master, requiring patience n several months of practice almost every other day. An alternative is 2 teach weaving through ur legs which looks just as impressive, is fun n easier 2 learn as speed isnt of d essence n no equipment is required. Same concept, except u r switching d treat from hand 2 hand between ur legs as u take each step forward, hence enticing ur dog 2 walk through ur legs in a zig zag manner. Will seem awkward at 1st n may stumble every now n den, wat more with a big dog btween ur legs, but u’ll soon get d hang of it. As ur dog improves, u’ll no longer hv 2 switch hands but only hold d treat in 1 hand n swing it from left 2 right at waist level.

Usual training tips apply: patience, enthusiasm, quit while ahead n dog’s still interested, lots of praise/play afterwards.

Groovy, ‘Pole weaving is quite difficultlah, like doing d catwalk at 100km/hr…gimme d ball anytime.’

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 6, 2005, 11:08 PM

Post #10 of 23 (4700 views)
Shortcut

is there any basic commands which i can teach the pups within 1 month? (they are not going to stay with me for long, but i hope i can teach them some tricks) & how should i start?

Regards,

Yang

MisterStan
Doggyman

Mar 7, 2005, 3:47 AM

Post #11 of 23 (4699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] tricks with Roxy [In reply to] Can't Post

aiyah, teach 'sit' and 'down' lah..

you hold a treat, and when all the dogs approach you.. you just show the dog how to 'sit', by pushing the backside down to the floor.

after that, each time you show the treat to that dog, that dog will sit.. and slowly, other dogs will follow.. (hope they will follow)

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Mar 7, 2005, 8:34 PM

Post #12 of 23 (4686 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] tricks with Roxy [In reply to] Can't Post

leecy,

firstly what SPRV is doing is very honourable. I can't doubt that having a puppy that can do tricks has a higher chance of getting adopted. first you can teach them to sit. puppies need a lot of patience and also treats.

for sit, just say for eg:

popeye, sit. lower his bottom and praise & treat. do this every day at least like 10 times a day. try training them before meal time cause they will be more alert. make it short like 5 minutes is ok....best tricks will be give paw.

say "popeye, give paw" and put his paw in ur hand like shaking hands..this trick works really good with children. work on this 2 things and i am very sure the puppies can master this 2 in one month...should you have a puppy that is advanced and can learn fast. you can teach the pup "leave it". this is advance but they can do it.. this is a very impressive tricks as it will teach them to resist temptation.

good luck!

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Mar 7, 2005, 11:28 PM

Post #13 of 23 (4680 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

2. taught her "leave it" to avoid temptation. i would have a nice juicy bone in front of her and say "leave it", she will not touch it till i give her the release command.

What do u say as ur release command? and let say if i say my release command already and she just sit there looking at me (not touching the food) shud i bring it to her to eat or push her to it?

~Eve~ Proud owner of 2 Cheeky & Bubbly Furbabies:- Daisy (Dashie) & Meeko (MS)

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Mar 8, 2005, 2:49 AM

Post #14 of 23 (4668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [my_dawg_daisy] tricks with Roxy [In reply to] Can't Post

daisy,

make the dog "understand" the command before giving the release command. my release command is just "ok" but in a very high pitch tone like how u say "ice cream" to a kid. when doing the "leave it", make the dog understand treat is on the floor, dont touch the treat till i say so. after 1 - 2 minutes, then give the release command. if he dont take it, dont push his face to the treat, but pick it up and just give to her and praise 1 time.

when he actually eats from the floor after the release command, then praise him a lot...he will later learn that he is suppose to pick the treat up from the floor and not being fed. another way to motivate the dog is to hold the treat in ur hand. and do the leave it...he will be happier to pick it up form ur hand.

good luck!

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Mar 9, 2005, 9:19 PM

Post #15 of 23 (4631 views)
Shortcut

Thanks!I have been teaching her (meeko) to leave it..she's pretty good at leaving it but get confused when i release command...hehehe

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Mar 10, 2005, 2:18 AM

Post #16 of 23 (4621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [my_dawg_daisy] tricks with Roxy [In reply to] Can't Post

daisy..great work! it's normal for the dog to be confused for a while...later she will get the picture...dont worry, keep us updated.!

Cheers

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2005, 11:32 PM

Post #17 of 23 (4543 views)
Shortcut

Quite a tough task master u r, making ur dog hold n face d treat for 1-2 minutes b4 release. But den GRs r always very patient dogs. My JRT, after 30 seconds n if still no release, will begin 2 yawn or scratch his bum, head n ears or just rather walk away n watch Animal Planet on TV.

Any luck with d pole weaving?

Groovy, ‘Pole weaving is quite difficultlah…like doing d catwalk at 100km/hr.’

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Mar 17, 2005, 12:28 AM

Post #18 of 23 (4537 views)
Shortcut

Hehehe very very true..so does meeko...she gets bored if she's paid nothing in couple of secs..it's very hard to make her pay attention..

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Mar 17, 2005, 2:29 AM

Post #19 of 23 (4530 views)
Shortcut

hmmm...tough master..haha guess i just want them to pay attention so i can show them stuff or even give a command.

i havent been at the pole thingy so things are just as normal. i am trying to get her to "leg weave" which is still a challenge cause she still can't quite get the trick. me here got short legs so have to be careful not to fall.

i did brush up on her "stay" where i make her sit about 30 feet away from me, and then i went inside the house and still repeat the "stay" and count to 5. then i come out and stand 30 feet away from her and did the come and boy did she run to me! so that could be a good life saver.

I am currently in the midst of moving to a new house with a good land area for the dogs so new tricks on the way by 1st of next monthLaugh

.Lab
Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2005, 6:50 PM

Post #20 of 23 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Teaching my Hazel 'leave it' and 'drop it' so she won't go and pick up anymore bones! Too bad when I teach her 'Stand', she'll just turn her head and give me a nip on the hand.

Tricks:

1. Sit

2. Heel

3. Stay

4. Shake((In progress))

5. Up((Hazel stands on up the fence or stuff))

Thats about it. Normally she won't do it all the time. Stubborn puppy.

.Lab Frown Frown

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hazel = A Terror in Disguise!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sydney
Doggyman

Mar 26, 2005, 6:47 AM

Post #21 of 23 (4425 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

how do you get ur dog to do all of those? I wif sidney will go kelang kabut and sum1 will . Tell me what's ur secret of trainning the dog.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Mar 28, 2005, 4:43 PM

Post #22 of 23 (4409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] tricks with Roxy [In reply to] Can't Post

hello,

well the dog have to of course trust you and bonding part is also very important. i taught my dogs sequence. so i teach all the simple things first and the most important thing i have taught them is "look" and "leave it". look is a very good command to get your dogs attention as look means the dog should look at you and wait for a command.

treats works best and since my dogs dont really like the commercial treats, i use raw lamb meat. and they will do anything for it. i give very very small pieces that they dont even have to chew but just swallow. i cut it into tablet size. that way the dog wont get overweight. the dog dont care how big the size of the treat as long as they get the treat.

thirdly, practise does make it perfect and dedication. it means if u teach the dog a trick, you have to repeat it everyday so he wont forget and you can use the tricks when u r out walking. i use most of my dogs tricks to amuse children.

you have to be able to make tricks time enjoying and stimulating. that way the dog wont think its boring.

have fun and good luck!

p/s- but right now i think my dogs forgot some of the tricks cause they are away right now...so have to re-train againUnsure

Sydney
Doggyman

Mar 28, 2005, 9:11 PM

Post #23 of 23 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

How do you teach your dog to leave it? I only teach my pup to drop it.... Mostly he grab papers from the table and run along wif itCrazy. After the dog did a trick, you gif them snack or tell them 2 do another then onli gif? Retraining a dog takes a long time or short periodUnimpressed? retraining a dog is hard or easy if he/she forgotten?

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my