Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
How norty Shih Tzu will be???

ally_py

Mar 17, 2003, 8:59 PM

Post #1 of 17 (2112 views)
Shortcut
How norty Shih Tzu will be??? Can't Post

hello, everyone.

I'm owning a 3 months Shih Tzu call FreeWay. She's very norty and can't listen to ppl. I dunno whether ur's also like that? When Shih Tzu really can listen to their master? But my baby really very norty, sometimes she'll listen to u, but sometimes not, and she's very 'keh poh'. She bite everything that can bite and cannot bite. Shoes, carpet, wire, hands, legs, ears............. And she eat everythings. Everythings that she can see at the floor, she'll eat it. Now she's still sick coz last week she had eat something, dunno what is that. Does any owner here got Shih Tzu? Can u tell me how norty Shih Tzu will be? Coz i saw many Shih Tzus r not norty as mine.Unsure

^CYTRQ^
Novice

Mar 21, 2003, 7:51 AM

Post #2 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ally_py] How norty Shih Tzu will be??? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ally_py,

i don't own a shih tzu, but i used to live with someone who had one. in my opinion, shih tzu's are not the most intelligent of dog breeds. your little story makes me reminisce of the times when i lived with a shih tzu (Abe) not unlike your own. biting this and biting that (especially when you leave them alone in the house). Abe used to do her business everywhere in the house and we had to change our carpet numerous times because of the stains and those nasty smells. eewee. but that's over now. all because we don't live together anymore. hehehe.

just remember that your shih tzu is still a pup. and as you know, pups can be pretty "NORTY" and will stay that way until it's over a year old. i have a labrador pup (jiggles) now and she's been really good. i've come to the conclusion that the best way to avoid having your pup chew on forbidden items such as your $200 birkenstocks, or your phone charger, etc, is to not give your pup the chance to get to those items. keep your shoes in closets, wires safely tucked away (dun want your dog to get electrocuted), and other items out of your dog's reach. another important step to take is to buy your dog a number of toys (a Kong, rope bones, raw hide bones, etc) to play with. make sure FreeWay is given lots of hugs and kisses when she plays with those toys. that way, he'll learn only to play with toys YOU give to him.

if your pup so happens to sink her teeth into anything you don;t want him to bite, straight away point at the item and say "NO!!!!!" (dun hit your dog ar) until he releases it. then just give him the dog toy to play with instead. but you have to catch him in the act. otherwise, he won't know what he's doing wrong.

so basically, i think the best solution here is prevention. and also lots of doggy toys. it worked for me.

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 23, 2003, 7:32 AM

Post #3 of 17 (2088 views)
Shortcut

My Shih Tzu used to be like that too but things have changed for the better after months of training and scolding.U probably should probably head to the Dog training thread and read as much information there as u can coz it helped me alot.From how to be the leader of the pack and teaching your dog with commands such as "NO" is very important.They r just like small immature kids.U'll need lots of patience and loving.I agree with ^CYTRQ^,whenever your dog wanna bite something,say "NO" and give it a toy instead.My boy seems to like soft toys and round object alot.

Happy training!Sly

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

ally_py

Mar 24, 2003, 7:49 PM

Post #4 of 17 (2077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamchooi] How norty Shih Tzu will be??? [In reply to] Can't Post

hello! thanks for ur's opions. maybe i should be more patient to teach her .

timmy
Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2003, 11:25 PM

Post #5 of 17 (2071 views)
Shortcut

hey ally- i ahve a notti sz too! he is good & obedient sometimes when i say no' but sometimes he is very playful- everyone said its their puppyhood- so i have to take it and patience to them ya~ !! i know how u feel, same to me, sometime i tried to punish him w ruler- then my heart will uneasy- n sayang him back- then now he is pampered !! sign!! so once pampered, its going be very tough for me long term! ( thats the vet said he is very fierce too, so i gotta be firm to him!)

so wish u can train him well, dont be soft hearted, then will be like my case!

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 25, 2003, 3:58 AM

Post #6 of 17 (2068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy] How norty Shih Tzu will be??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear timmy,

Never try to punish your ST by beating with a ruler or even any other object.It will only make matter worst.They will become fierce and snappyMad.When your dog is naughty,try crating and make sure u do so as soon as u see it does something wrong.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

timmy
Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2003, 6:14 AM

Post #7 of 17 (2065 views)
Shortcut

u mean use crating as punishment?i read fr a book- crate as punishment is bad - they will scare to gointo crate then- if i;m not home- i have to make him gointo the crate . if its punishment- then he will scare of crate

i use ruler- to scare him- he will not bite thins at least.my sz is fierce n bad behaviour- i have to be firm to him- if not i'll in trouble when he grow olderUnsure

^CYTRQ^
Novice

Mar 25, 2003, 10:03 PM

Post #8 of 17 (2057 views)
Shortcut

i agree with timmy. crates should never be used as punishment. it's meant to be a "safe" place for your dog, not a prison cell. if you really want to get your dog's attention when he's doing something he's not supposed to, heres a tip i got from a trainer. it doesnt involve any beatings.

fill an empty water bottle with a few stones....the size of marbles. then your dog is bad, frimly throw the bottle on the ground. this will produce a loud noise. at the same time, say "no" in a firm voice. this worked on my pomeranian when it barked excessively. try it.

and NO WHACKING WITH RULER!!!!!!

timmy
Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2003, 1:14 AM

Post #9 of 17 (2052 views)
Shortcut
Re: [^CYTRQ^] How norty Shih Tzu will be??? [In reply to] Can't Post

okie since then i may give a try!! i used ruler to beat on the floor - so the loud noise scare him- as not using it to whack him- when he heard the noise , he will stop biting....but he seems like to bite when i didnyt see him....hope the bottle thingy works to my notti boy :)

ally_py

Mar 26, 2003, 7:07 PM

Post #10 of 17 (2042 views)
Shortcut

i use to roll the newspaper like a rotan. everytime she saw it, she run n hide.Blush

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 27, 2003, 8:44 AM

Post #11 of 17 (2035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [^CYTRQ^] How norty Shih Tzu will be??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Any other alternatives other than the noisy bottle?

My boy is not afraid of noise.He's one Shih Tzu i know that's as brave as a lion.

I tried the roll up newspaper.He ended up attacking the newspaper thinking that it's a toy for him to play!

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

ckbeep

Mar 27, 2003, 11:03 PM

Post #12 of 17 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

My Shih Tzu just turn 5 months old yesterday. He is as "siau" as the first day he steps into my house. Unsure. I agree with al of you that they are still in puppyhood, but sometimes you need to be stern with them. I too had a "paper" rotan. He will run when he sees it, but eventually he will bite it when no one is with him. He too will bite anything that can be bitten or cannot be, eats whatever that can be seen on the floor. I guess a Shih Tzu, you need to be care and love them very much, they love that, the more you pampered them, the better they will be. Everyday when i reached home from work, he first thing i do is to let him off from him "home" and he will just just all over me for almost 2 hours. He is that hyper!!!. once you settle him down, he is a very adorable dog. I just love the way the is. Smile

CkBeep

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 28, 2003, 9:24 AM

Post #13 of 17 (2018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ckbeep] How norty Shih Tzu will be??? [In reply to] Can't Post

U r absolutely rite! Shih Tzu r very affectionate!My dog must be around with ppl or he'll get bored.Most of the time he'll just sleep or play with his own toys himself,but he do bite newspapers sometimes(shred it into small pieces all over the house).When we r at home he'll follow us around the house,wait for us at the door if we go into rooms,sleep close to us and invite us to play with him by bringing his toys and push our hands with it.

One thing weird about him though.Whenever he see us coming back,he'll be very excited and he'll go hide under the table(i guess he's not afraid coz he knows who's coming back and u can see his tail waging alot).I still have no idea y he does that.Maybe he wants to know if we still remember him or something.Then he'll come out and greet us by jumping around like a rabbit and licking our legs.I noticed that he prefer girls than guys.Maybe becoz he's a male and the scent of the opposite sex attract himWink.hahahahha

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

ckbeep

Mar 28, 2003, 6:15 PM

Post #14 of 17 (2014 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Haha!!! it's the same with my SHih Tzu !!!

CkBeep

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 28, 2003, 6:22 PM

Post #15 of 17 (2012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ckbeep] How norty Shih Tzu will be??? [In reply to] Can't Post

What is similar?

Hiding under the table??

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

May
Old Hand

Mar 28, 2003, 6:29 PM

Post #16 of 17 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Sorry for chipping in but I just can't help it.

My dog also behave exactly like yours. When she sees us coming home, she will happily wagging her tail but when we enter the house, she'll hide under the sofa. After sometimes, she'll come out to greet us and ask for tummy rub.

Since mine is a female, she's like to attach to guy rather than girl.......especially when she sees my hubby she'll get so excited and lick him non-stop......and not to mention communicating with him in her dog language.

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 29, 2003, 2:56 AM

Post #17 of 17 (2006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] How norty Shih Tzu will be??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yeah i forgot to mention too.He will roll over once he sees me in the morning to ask for a tummy rub too.(and i mean every morning)So i'm using this as an advantage to teach him the "bang" command so that he'll play dead for me.Sly

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my