Aggresive or normal?

soulgal
Novice

Feb 22, 2005, 10:48 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2213 views)
Shortcut
Aggresive or normal? Can't Post

HI,

Since young my dog loves to bite our fingers especially. But it was not taken seriously as he doesn't bite very hard. But as he grows older, his behaviour starts to get worst. Last week, he bite my sister fren's finger and resulted a quite deep wound.
It was the first time he actually hurt anyone, but his behaviour is getting worst.
If we scold him or anything, he will bark at us and starts to get aggressive. I am not sure whthr its because of the hormone or the way we brought him up.
My friend suggested to bring him to the vet to get an injection. But I would like to know, is there any other way to help him?
Cheenu is a spitz and he is almost 3 years old.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Feb 26, 2005, 5:59 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [soulgal] Aggresive or normal? [In reply to] Can't Post

i afraid its aggressive and not normal. ur dog obviously dont know bite pressure and perhaps sadly you and family has encouraged this behaviour. if its a male, i suggest you get him neutered it may help calm him down.

next time, when teeth goes into hand, remove hand and move away from him. ignore him barking. dogs hate to be ignored. practise this always, there is no "sometimes" in this situation. teeth touches hand, you move away. ur dog is challenging you who is boss. he isnt too sure why he is in ur family which may also result in misbehaviour.

give him something to do. train him to do tricks, spend time with him. remember, dogs are unhappy and will misbehave is the dog is only put in backyard without interactions with human. let him see everybody in ur family give him food/treat. he will learn to respect the hand. next time he wants to bite you, make him sit and praise him.

i dont really like to use"NO" as it can be mis-used and you will say "NO" to ur dog more than usual. so i invent commands for bad behaviours that i dont want happening again. tip, try teaching ur dog "leave it". make him sit, and put a treat on the floor and him watching and say "leave it". if he lunged for the treat, hold him back or cover the treat, if he gets aggressive and barking, move away for a while but repeat the trick again. he should be able to later just look at the treat until u give him the release command. when he is more reliable, if he wants to get to something that u dont want him to bite or chew, say "leave it" and he will not touch it.

hope this helps.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 6, 2005, 4:05 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] Aggresive or normal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, is spitz the breed which will act more aggressively? bcs when ying (niroto ooi) went to PAWS & try to sayang a dog who was surrendered by its owner, the spitz actually bites ying. so we thought maybe the dog is too worry or frustrated tht time. but after tht a group of students went to PAWS for volunteery helps, 1 of them bitten, & it is spitz again!

fortunately the spitz, Lady who lost her paws at my house is tame

Regards,

Yang

Sydney
Doggyman

Mar 26, 2005, 1:06 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1967 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

If ur dog is trained, then it wouldnt bite ani other stranger so hard. cause a trained dog dont bite but listen 2 comands. You have to train ur dog. Say No loudly. I'd scream at ur dog i were u. try training him asap.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

ianlim
Dog Kichi

Apr 18, 2005, 5:59 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1928 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
HI,

Since young my dog loves to bite our fingers especially. But it was not taken seriously as he doesn't bite very hard. But as he grows older, his behaviour starts to get worst. Last week, he bite my sister fren's finger and resulted a quite deep wound.
It was the first time he actually hurt anyone, but his behaviour is getting worst.
If we scold him or anything, he will bark at us and starts to get aggressive. I am not sure whthr its because of the hormone or the way we brought him up.
My friend suggested to bring him to the vet to get an injection. But I would like to know, is there any other way to help him?
Cheenu is a spitz and he is almost 3 years old.

Wahhh, this is the problem that exactly happened to me. Me and my family hit ROCKY's mouth(not too hard) and tell him not to do that. After a while, he stop byting people's finger, he was 1 year old then.. Anod now, he is a good naughty boy!!!!

kk9375

Apr 20, 2005, 12:26 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1911 views)
Shortcut

mm..wil try on dis method,coz my puppy really like to bite..he wil bite watever on d floor,he will bite watever infront of him...dat day he chase after a cockcroach..luckily,we saw,if not..sigh..dunno wat wil happen if he swallow lah...

lsling78
Dog Kichi

Apr 20, 2005, 7:02 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1899 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i actually agree with kelsey,

dogs get aggresive because of many factors, dominance, fear or pain. yes, some dogs like to challenge you. he thinks he's the alfa dog around and he is the boss but some dogs has bad experience. eg. people like to beat their dogs with their hands. it's a bad experience for the dog and whenever other people try to touch him with the hands he will bite or growl because he is being defensive. or maybe the dog has health problem such as blindness. blind dogs are insecure and they try to defends themself most of the time. or they might be in pain. eg. some large breed dogs has hip dysplasia and when people then to touch their hip they will snap because it is painful.

i believe there is or are factors that contribute to agrresion or any other behavioural problems. try to find out when it started and why it started. try to understand your dog before doing anything.

actually the biggest problem in pets industry that are killing the dogs are not diseases but behavioral problems that tend to make owners give up their pets. training is very important.

talk to people that have experinece handling dogs with problems, get books and read about it. find a good vet that can help you with it. btw, i have a few good books on how to manage behaviour problems of dogs. if you are interested let me know. my e- mail is tanleelee2000@yahoo.com. i'm not an expert on it but also in the process of learning. i hope we as dog owners can be responsible in understading the needs of our pets. let us learn together and help each other.

i disagree when people put a marked on certain breeds of dogs for having certain behaviour problems eg. rottweilers. they are labelled as fierced and aggresive. to me it is totally wrong. if they are kepp and trained properly, they are very loyal and good companion. they are gentle giants. i blame the owners for the problems these dogs have. sorry if i offended anyone.

lee lee

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my