Jungle Terkking Questions

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Feb 18, 2005, 11:51 PM

Post #1 of 45 (5725 views)
Shortcut
Jungle Terkking Questions Can't Post

Hi. I'm interested in the jungle trek but have some questions. Would appreciate it if you could let me know:

How long is the trek in distance?

How long does it take to complete the trek?

How steep is the trek?

My dog is full of energy but I'm not and I'm worried about not being able to finish the trek (let alone that it starts sooooooo early!)

Thanks.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 19, 2005, 5:20 AM

Post #2 of 45 (5684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] Jungle Terkking Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi !

Gong Hei Fatt Choy !

Answers .....

1. Distance ..... we got no idea

2. How long..... we go in abt 7.45 am by the time we are out is abt 9.30 - 9.45 am... depending how big the group is we normally take abt 1 hr 30 mins to 2 hrs the max.

3. The trek that we are using is not really steep its suitable for everyone. 1st time i wud say it wud be hard but I can promise that u will enjoy it.

Some of us got hooked after the 1st time and continue to join us week after week. We even had a member's mother joining us previously and she went thru the hardest trek of all yet ... she enjoy it tons.

If you do come and join us.... pls wear something comfy (nothing black as it attracts the mozzy and trap heat) and wear a pair of shoe that you do not mind getting it wet and dirty..

Bring a towel to dry monty after too as there is a stream where we r trekking and the dog will get to enjoy playing in the water way. remember not to bath monty b4 that ya.... or else u will regret it BIG time.

The Jungle trekking activities will be back next weekend. Come on over and join us .... I'll walk with you Wink it has been ages since I went for the trek I'm sure after all the CNY makan most of us is also out of breath like u.Tongue

cheers,
minglmy

(This post was edited by minglmy on Feb 19, 2005, 5:22 AM)

ERN
K9 Maniac

Feb 21, 2005, 11:21 PM

Post #3 of 45 (5579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Jungle Terkking Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi

I am interested to join also, but worry of my dog [westie]. she is 1 year old, I just got it 3 weeks ago. before that I think she is hardly exercise. Is this trek suitable for her? what is your advice for first timer, the dog I mean?

t.q.

Frown

View my photo album

last update, ZEUS & Shiki's 2nd off springs, 16/09/2008. Yes 9.16!

http://s56.photobucket.com/...%20Zeus%20N%20Shiki/

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g192/ERN2/Dogs

MisterStan
Doggyman

Feb 21, 2005, 11:23 PM

Post #4 of 45 (5578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ERN] Jungle Terkking Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Ern

well, just bring water for your westie, and plastic bag to pick up poo.

your westie might not get used to walking in the trek, so be prepared to carry her some of most of the time, hehehe... well, and also be prepared to get dirty for you and for your westie, hehehe...

yuanyuan
ALPHA

Feb 21, 2005, 11:36 PM

Post #5 of 45 (5575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Jungle Terkking Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

i am looking forward for the coming JT.. hate myself.. gaining more weight liao... JT pls help.. hehehhhe... miss u all guys and gals... and especially all furkids...

**YY(Yuanyuan aka Erica), VV (Eevee Daphne) & DD (Edy Skippy) with loves**

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 21, 2005, 11:59 PM

Post #6 of 45 (5559 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ern,

Just bring your dog .... and enjoy the walk. Be prepare to walk back if you see that your dog cannot take the hectic exercise. Don't worry its not a 1 way trek so u can still turn back at any one time.

Otherwise do take note that we do stop for 10 - 15 mins every once in a while this is so that we can rest a bit and for those who walk behind can catch up with the front.

Don't worry we won't leave u guys behind in the jungle ler...

cheers,
minglmy

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2005, 1:09 AM

Post #7 of 45 (5542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ERN] Jungle Trekking Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s a jungle hike with proper trails up n down hills through some dense foliage bypassing a small shallow stream where d dogs get 2 take a dip, cool down, play n run 4 awhile. Remember d mozzie repellant, if u r a natural magnet 4 d blood suckers. If there r a no. of 1st timers who r not so fit, den I’m sure d K9 Trekkers gang will b more forgiving n accommodating n opt 4 d shorter route which is a pleasant walk with only 1 real uphill climb at d beginning n takes only 1 1/4 hour (includes 30 min rest n play time) at most.

Ur Westie looks pretty keen n being a terrier, shld hv no problems with d trek…although he will no longer b white at d finish line. Do join 4 some good, ‘clean’ n wholesome fun.

Groovy, ‘D stream, d stream…I c d stream!’

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

ERN
K9 Maniac

Feb 22, 2005, 2:06 AM

Post #8 of 45 (5531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yuanyuan] Jungle Terkking Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Aiyah....Crazy

Sorry lor.Pirate....my westie's name is Yuan Yuan.

so when I call her............

Blushthousand apology yaTongue. It is just a conincidence, and hope will not deter you from joining when my westie appear.

But dont worry I can only join you guy after mid March.

Frown

View my photo album

yuanyuan
ALPHA

Feb 22, 2005, 2:27 AM

Post #9 of 45 (5524 views)
Shortcut

dun worry... there is another dog's name yen yen... yuanyuan is a nice name too... sure ur westie very well feed lor.. hahahhaha... see ya soon

**YY(Yuanyuan aka Erica), VV (Eevee Daphne) & DD (Edy Skippy) with loves**

kvyeoh
Novice

Feb 23, 2005, 6:34 AM

Post #10 of 45 (5460 views)
Shortcut

I am interested too...i had a golden retriever but his only 3 months old. He is full vaccination now. Is the trek suitable for him too?

Khoobg
Webmaster

Feb 23, 2005, 9:51 AM

Post #11 of 45 (5452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kvyeoh] Jungle Terkking Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

You may want to wait until your GR is a bit older before joining us for the Jungle Trekking. The long 2 hours trek may just be too much for a puppy with body part such as join not fully developed yet.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 23, 2005, 7:58 PM

Post #12 of 45 (5423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kvyeoh] Jungle Terkking Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup the 1 hr 30 mins - 2 hrs trek might be too much for your 3 months old puppy unless ur prepare to carry him all the way .... BUT why not you join us without ur puppy 1st and try the trek yourself. Then later on when your puppy is ready, you can bring him out with us. That way, at least u know what to expect ... and how to handle the trek yourself in the same time Wink

cheers,
minglmy

(This post was edited by minglmy on Feb 23, 2005, 7:59 PM)

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Feb 24, 2005, 12:23 AM

Post #13 of 45 (5395 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi

I am interested to join also, but worry of my dog [westie]. she is 1 year old, I just got it 3 weeks ago. before that I think she is hardly exercise. Is this trek suitable for her? what is your advice for first timer, the dog I mean?

t.q.

Hi Ern.

If your westie gets tired and doesn't want to walk anymore, she will let you know!! I know from the embarressing experiences gained from my westie Gus who would suddenly flop down in a very public area where there are LOTS of ppl converged (like at a red traffic light) and refuse to move. Very shameful - pulling at the lead and dog refusing to get walk with lots of ppl watching and probably thinking, "What a horrible person, forcing a poor tired dog to walk when he's OBVIOUSLY tired!".

In the end, it was faster and less embarressing to just scoop him like picking up a bag and walking off like it was no big deal!!

Be warned and be ready to do the same for your westie!!!

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

ERN
K9 Maniac

Feb 24, 2005, 5:30 PM

Post #14 of 45 (5370 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gus Gus

She was not on leash before that, not even with collar when she was with the breeder.

Now, she is accustomed to have collar, but not on leash.

She is free inside my house, I have tried to put on leash and walk her in the porch, she refuse my guide and try to bite the leash.

Can you give some advice?

t.q.

Frown

View my photo album

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Feb 24, 2005, 11:35 PM

Post #15 of 45 (5334 views)
Shortcut

Westies are strong willed dogs that don't like to be told what to do. They like to feel that they are doing something from choice rather than because they are being forced to do it. You have to give your Westie an incentive to do what you want her to do but make her feel that she is doing you a favour or that you are doing her a favour!!!!!

The solution is treats! Most dogs are motivated by food. Start by giving her a treat like liver chews or some other dog treat. Let her enjoy it and get a taste for it. Praise her as she chews on it so she associates the treat with approval. Put the lead on her and give her a treat. Let her trail the lead around for 10mins or so, and talk to her reassuringly all that time. Give her a treat. Then, if she is not bothered by the lead, pick it up and lead her around, giving her a treat as you walk and she follows by your side.

Do this around your compound every day for a week, increasing the time she is on the lead each time. Watch her reaction to being led around. Don't tug or pull or do anything that might upset her or make her feel uncomfortable about the lead . Always keep her by your side or slightly ahead of you. If she walks slowly then reduce your speed to keep at her pace. Give her a treat periodically.

During this time, train her to sit when you stop. This is very important because you are teaching her road sense. When you are walking on the road and you stop to check the road is clear before you cross the road, you want her to stop too. The last thing you'd want is for her to carry on walking and get knocked by a car.

Depending on how confident your dog feels with the lead, you can reduce the time spent walking around your compound to three or four days rather than a whole week. Most importantly, DON'T rush your dog about being used to the lead. Watch her response and use that as a guide as to the pace of progress. When she is used to the lead, being led around and feels confident about walking to heel and sitting when you stop, then take her out of your compound and walk around the neighbourhood. Give her a treat as you leave the gate. By this time, she should be so used to the lead and walking to heel that she shouldn't notice the lead and enjoy the exploration of "new ground". Walk her around for a while depending on how she responds to the walk. If she's anxious or gets fed up of being led around after 2 mins, go home. Don't rush her. Give her a treat when you get into the house and take off her lead.

Eventually, she will LOVE the sight of the lead because she will equate it with fun walks.

Does your dog's collar have a bell? I've found that Westies LOVE having bells on their collars. They are very egoistical dogs and bells are announcers of their presence. If your dog doesn't have a bell on her collar, add one and let her wear it around the house and see how she loves the jingle as she walks. That jingle will give her great pleasure when she goes out for walks on the lead.

Hope this helps.

(This post was edited by Gus-Gus on Feb 24, 2005, 11:53 PM)

ERN
K9 Maniac

Feb 25, 2005, 6:01 PM

Post #16 of 45 (5288 views)
Shortcut

Gus Gus

Thank you very much.Smile

Frown

View my photo album

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Feb 25, 2005, 8:45 PM

Post #17 of 45 (5277 views)
Shortcut

Hie minglymy,

I plan to take my dashie for the jungle trekking..im nt very much of an exercise person myself...just curious,if the trek has alot of stairs to climb? cus daisy(my dashie) is advisable for her not to climb stairs..cus her breed is prone to slipdisc.pls do tell me wht u think

~Eve~ Proud owner of 2 Cheeky & Bubbly Furbabies:- Daisy (Dashie) & Meeko (MS)

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 25, 2005, 8:52 PM

Post #18 of 45 (5274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [my_dawg_daisy] Jungle Terkking Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes there will be some stairs to climb... not exactly stairs but flight up the hill

i wud suggest u come n join us 1st .... then only bring ur dog. u decide if its hard for your dog or not then bring .... Smile

cheers,
minglmy

(This post was edited by minglmy on Feb 25, 2005, 8:55 PM)

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Feb 26, 2005, 9:34 PM

Post #19 of 45 (5229 views)
Shortcut

well ive trekked there b4..and my mum used to be a frequent. once u enter hutan pendidikan...if im not mistaken i thought there were two routes..one on the left with flights of stairs..and one straight ahead..correct me if im wrong. which one does the team takes

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 27, 2005, 3:15 AM

Post #20 of 45 (5217 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eve,

There is actually a total of 5 or 6 routes (official) in the jungle itself and 3 entrance availabe at the very least.

if ur going in by the sign board it will lead to 4 routes.

Once u go in by the signboard u be able to see a small route to your right or if u go further, there will be 1 flight of stairs (up) by the bridge or if u go furthur in, there will be another flight stairs (up). These are the 1st 3 available routes u can go.

we are all going in thru the stream way.

cheers,
minglmy

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Feb 28, 2005, 11:40 PM

Post #21 of 45 (5167 views)
Shortcut

oOoOo..the stream way...thts a nice one! thanks for the info!

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 28, 2005, 11:51 PM

Post #22 of 45 (5162 views)
Shortcut

ur very much welcome.

hope that you'll be able to find time to join us someday Smile (if u didnt already)

cheers,
minglmy

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Mar 3, 2005, 2:15 AM

Post #23 of 45 (5094 views)
Shortcut

Hehehehe Im no much of a sports person...but my mu plan to join,so i might give it a try.

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 5, 2005, 8:22 PM

Post #24 of 45 (4991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Jungle Terkking Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Stan~

Wats the date?

Regards,

Yang

MisterStan
Doggyman

Mar 6, 2005, 1:39 AM

Post #25 of 45 (4985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Jungle Terkking Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

hello

date? date for what? LaughLaughLaughLaugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my