Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
House Training

johnaricka
Novice

Mar 14, 2003, 11:58 PM

Post #1 of 19 (4762 views)
Shortcut
House Training Can't Post

I could use all the information you guys can spare. I know the ins and outs of house breaking my Emma. This is an insecure plea.....I know that I am doing good with her but I could use the pat on the back (at least I am honest!)
Emma is eight weeks old. She scratches the back door to go out during the day. She is only having accidents during the night (early pre-sunrise) and it is usually one per night. She is having accidents if she scratches the door and we do not hear her (not her fault.)
My hubby and I disagree on some of the training methods. Keep in mind that I had to litterally talk him into keeping the dog in doors since he was raised that pets live outside. Now he is against kennel training. I am using the kennel for when I leave (which she hates) and I am using her dog pillow for at night. She is pretty good about her pillow. My hubby thinks I am being cruel keeping her in a "cage" when we leave rather thatn let her tear up the house or swallow something fatally. He would rather her stay in the kitchen-laundry room (they are connected for us). If she doesnt get her body in gear and stop peeing on my floor I will have to consider her sleeping in her kennel at night. She cries tha whole time he is in the kennel (he know how to put it on thiick.)
Sorry that was long winded....here is my questions
-how old were your pets when they were completely housebroken?
How many of you kennel trained?
Any suggesyion you can suggest?
Aricka

cdmoo
ALPHA

Mar 15, 2003, 12:21 AM

Post #2 of 19 (4759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johnaricka] House Training [In reply to] Can't Post

hi John,

I have a lab, Rex, now is 14mths+. He's kennel trained when he was 12 weeks old.

We had to make it a routine to relief him. During those days, it's 7 a.m - 8.30 a.m - roamed freely in the house compound. Then again from 7 p.m - 10 p.m.

Surprisingly being a puppy, Rex can hold quite long.. about 10 - 12 hours. Never had an accident in the kennel. We put water dispenser in the kennel instead of water bowl. In this manner, he does not drink a lot in one go.

We just have to make sure he does his business before we crate him.

Have fun!

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

johnaricka
Novice

Mar 15, 2003, 9:06 PM

Post #3 of 19 (4750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] House Training [In reply to] Can't Post

CD Moo,
You can call ,me Aricka (John is my hubby and Aricka is pronounced Erica...sorry weird spelling)
My hubby and I did compromise on the kennel training. He felt it was cruel (this coming from a man that felt dogs belong outside only...) and thought she needed more space to roam. Our kitchen is quite large and can be blocked off so we have put the baby gate up and have been experimenting with her being in there when we leave. So far it has worked for us. She has not had an accident yet (although since I have revealed this out loud, she will make a liar out of me Smile . We are still having the one accident per night but she is only eight weeks old. I am not sure if she is trying to wake me and I am sleeping through it or she is just getting up and going. My first thought was to put her to bed in the kitchen but my husband the pushover has begged me to give her until she is twelve weeks old. She is only able to hold her bladder currently for five hours. Let me know what you think about this?
By the way are there any great remedies for cleaning up accidents? I bought some special pet carpet cleaner and someone told me to use vinegar on it to counterreact to the ammonia in their urine. I guess it is working although I could go without the smell. I don't know which is worse, urine or vinegar. We own a carpet cleaner and I should just haul it out to clean up messes but it is a chore!
You mentioned that Rex drinks very little water. Emma drinks a ton. I put it up at 6pm every night (even though John feels I am torturing her). She complaines a couple of times during the night but I am hoping that it is helping her have one less accident in the long run.
Aricka

johnaricka
Novice

Mar 16, 2003, 9:27 PM

Post #4 of 19 (4743 views)
Shortcut

I should have never said that she was doing great during the day! She made a liar out of me! We had the worst day for potty training! She had accident after accident. Granted it was raining here and she hates the cold or getting wet but she had accidents even after the sun came out. Part of the problem is that on weekends when my family is home to help me, I really expect them to help and they do a poor job. I try to do my errands while they are home and I end up coming home to puddles on my carpet!

Thanks for listening to my vent!
Aricka

mengchuah
Novice

Mar 18, 2003, 6:20 PM

Post #5 of 19 (4731 views)
Shortcut

Hey
Take it easy. When i 1st got my 3 months old Shih Tzu, it was a journey to hell. She eliminates everywhere, and i was very stressed, and she had diarrhea at that time! Somehow or rather she got used to peeing on newspaper only, but she poos at certain spots. I have reprimanded her physically and verbally before, & i guess it has made matters worse. So, start training Emma at this age. You'll reap the rewards later!

Do you leave her alone most of the time? Does she roam freely at home? What breed is her? Do you leave in an appartment? Do u leave loads of newspapers for her to eliminate? Do you clean up the spots thoroughly after an accident? Do you hit her when an accident happens?

I am currently using loads of lysol, and vinegar to get rid of the odour. I am also using a purple bottle frm midvalley's pet shop. Is great to rid off smell from upholstery & carpet.

aNYWAYS, hAVe FUN rAIsiNg yOUr EmMA ... THiNGS cAN oNLy GEt BEttER .. IT hAPPENS ... ANd IT Is HAppENInG FoR Me !!

cHeerS!

johnaricka
Novice

Mar 18, 2003, 8:58 PM

Post #6 of 19 (4721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mengchuah] House Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Emma is a nine week old boxer. I am lucky that I do not have to leave her alone during the day for very long being that I am a stay at home mom. When I do leave, I have been puting her in the kitchen with her dog pillow and some toys. We have the kitchen opening blocked with a baby gate. We tried using a crate but my hubby was weak and couldnt handle it so we compromised on the kitchen. I shouldnt opening admit this, but she has never had an accident in the kitchen while I am away. Her accidents are on the carpet and we have found that it is when she is rough housing or when she has asked to go out (she scratches on the back door) and we havent heard her. So we are trying to pay closer attention to that. I am cleaning up with my carpet cleaner using a pet carpet cleaning solution and then I rub vinegar on it and sprinkle baking soda. She has not gone back to the same spot so it must be working. We have never verbally or physically reprimanded her for having an accident. I dont blame her, she is only nine weeks old, I blame me for not watching her close enough. When I catch her having an accident, I clap my hands really loud, pick her up and take her to our backyard.

I just cant wait for all the housetraining to end. I am an impatient person. How old was your puppy when finally completely house trained? Thanks for listening!

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 27, 2003, 7:36 AM

Post #7 of 19 (4679 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I'm facing a huge problem with my 7 1/2 week old puppy. He pee pee poo poos everywhere!

I left newspapers, but he'll shread it in no time. I even tried cleaning his pee with kitchen towel and placing the towel where I want him to pee. THAT also he shread! I also bought thouse toilet training liquid drops from the pet shop....and followed the instructions, but that little rascal don't even want to sniff it.

He knows he's not supposed to pee or poo in the house cause everytime we catch him doing it he'll look really guilty even before we scold him. But still he does that. *sigh* any remedies??

johnaricka
Novice

Mar 27, 2003, 9:21 PM

Post #8 of 19 (4667 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] House Training [In reply to] Can't Post

cshellz,
I don't know if I am far enough in the game to be giving advice but I thought it would help to hear what helped for me. I had every ambition to crate train my pup but she whined a little and my husband couldnt take it. I am a stay at home mom so I don't have the problem that most have with leaving the pup all day. From the day we brought her home we started the habit of taking her out constantly. The first day I was doing it every hour (she was the same age as your pup) and right after she woke up. That seemed to help the most. I am not saying that she didnt have accidents, she did but it was when she wasnt being watched close enough. Once I noticed that she wasnt going potty each time I took her out (every hour) I added thirty minutes to it. Our problem was remembering to take her out when we were playing. She would be rough housing and just get up and pee two feet away from us. The other problem was at night. What is working (and again I shouldnt say this out loud because she will make a liar out of me) is to take her out right when I go to bed. I have to confess that I have been staying up just a little later so that she has that extra time she can hold it and I can stay in bed. I also put her water bowl up at 6pm. She drinks water all day long and I dont want her to pee all night. We feed her three times a day on schedule so that she is pooping regular.
Newspaper never worked for me, she is a pup and finds paper to be a toy as well as towells. I bought the spray and drops too and it didnt work any better than taking her out to pee in the same spot that she went to when I took her out last.
What are you cleaning up her accidents in? I was told to use some sort of carpet cleaner that is enzematic (anomia free) so that the pup doesnt keep going back to the same spot on your carpet to pee. I was also told to use white vinegar (dab on a clean towell) to counterreact the unrine smell. I then sprinkle baking soda on it. So far it has worked but there was a joke going around our house that she may not be peeing in the same spot but she is spreading the spots around the house.
The most important thing I can tell you is something someone else told me. It will pass. It will get easier. Your pup will get to the point of holding it longer. Be patient (hard for me) your pup is very young. My pup, Emma, is ten weeks old now and she is doing so much better. We had great runs where she had no accidents and then we would have a weekend where she couldnt make it to the door in time. Now she scratches on the back door.
Hang in there! Hope it all helps,
Aricka

wkser
ALPHA

Mar 27, 2003, 9:45 PM

Post #9 of 19 (4666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] House Training [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

7 1/2 is still very young......if you start toilet train them now ...only after about a while only they will go to the same spot to poo or pee ...patient is the words.......you go to look after them when they are young...roughly about 2 hours they will pee once if not mistaken ........you get a newpaper that you wet with their pee or poo ...bring them back to the same spots every 2 hours from that they will learn where they should pee and poo....Wink..hope this work for you....

regards
kangser and nous

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 27, 2003, 11:00 PM

Post #10 of 19 (4663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] House Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Aricka and Wkser,

I've actually had a doggie before Sparkle came along. I remember cleaning up his mess too, but I really didn't remember how I managed to train him!! Laugh

That's why I asked just in case there is an 'express' trick I can learn from all of you.

I guess all I can do right now is wait. But Sparkle is quite intelligent! I already trained him to "sit" and "come here" and "go outside". Now my mum and I are trying to teach him how to shake paws!! Not bad I think for a pup his age. We definitely took a much longer time with Richie (my first dog).

Just wondering....if those sprays and drops don't work, why do they keep selling it?? Wink

ymon
Novice

Mar 31, 2003, 2:48 AM

Post #11 of 19 (4639 views)
Shortcut

Unsure oh, my rottie puppy is even worse. She is nine weeks old and just with us for a week. We keep her in the wet kitchen and train her to pee poo in the toilet where we place newspaper all around the floor. In a a while she will still pee on the kitchen floor but this is still okay. The main problem is we found out that she ate her poo after she pooed!!!! I really don't know what to do with her. My hubby said if a dog who eat their own poo is not a good dog! any suggest???

i_idnic
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2003, 6:26 AM

Post #12 of 19 (4635 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ymon] House Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ymon,

Your dog still young so you have to be patient to teach and train her don't worry she will learn to pee poo in the correct area in few weeks time. Don't worry..... Dog eat their own poo is because the dog less somethings may be like vitamins that type I'm not sure as well someone told me before. Don't have to worry about ur dog eating his own poo she will stop eating her poo one day but can't tell u how long it take. My dog also like that.

milooh

Mar 31, 2003, 7:51 AM

Post #13 of 19 (4630 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, I couldnt help smiling and chuckling when I read the posts. Sorry, but we had a hard time with Milo, our chocolate lab of almost three years old now. The trick is to crate train your pup the day it comes home. Place the crate in a room far away from your bed room and yes, potty it first before bed time. Accidents will happen and its ok if your pup pees in the crate but Milo never pooped in his crate before. Its better if you are a stay at home mom as you can place your pup in the crate, say for 15 minutes, then take it out. Do this a few times a day until the pup knows you alwys come back. Most pups have separation anxiety and this is normal.

The thing that helped with Milo was that we brought him out almost every hour. And we always brought him out using the same door. When he was about 10 weeks, he was house broken and although there were a few accidents, it was our fault for not paying attention to him. What Milo did was he stood against the same door when he needed to go. Its like hey, I need to go guys. He conned us though, because he wanted to go outside and play instead of going to the bathroom.

Its good to have your dog sleep in the kennel at night. Make sure the kennel is just big enough for your pup so that he can feel safe. Milo started sleeping with us in our bedroom when he was about five months old and was free to roam the house during the day. He went through a phase of eating everything out of the garbage cans but I am proud to say that he's gotten over that. Now we leave him in the house free to roam anywhere he likes. He has absolutely no separation anxiety and in fact, he'd rather sleep on his own couch and doesnt like us to fuss over him.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

milooh

Mar 31, 2003, 8:01 AM

Post #14 of 19 (4628 views)
Shortcut

I just want to add that we are against putting our dogs outside. Milo lived in the house ever since he was a puppy. Dogs need to be with their humans at all times. We bring our dogs swimming almost every day as it is good for the coat and help clean them too.

As for cleaning up the mess, we use a spray called Nature's Miracle. I dont know if it is available in Malaysia but it works great. One thing that helps too is sprinkle baking soad on the mess after its dried up. Leave it for about 15 minutes then use a vacuum. That should get rid of the smell instead of using expensive stuff like vinegar or lysol. Hope to discuss puppy and dog training soon with you guys.

Greetings from the pack,

Milo, Iris and Gael
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

johnaricka
Novice

Mar 31, 2003, 7:21 PM

Post #15 of 19 (4616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] House Training [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in the states. White vinegar is .69 cents a bottle. I can't go wrong with that. I own a carpet cleaning machine so I have the solution. I was spraying a little on her spots after soaking up the urine and then dabbing some vinegar on the spot. Last I sprinkle baking soda which is very inexpensive too.

milooh

Mar 31, 2003, 7:27 PM

Post #16 of 19 (4614 views)
Shortcut

I am at Auburn, Washington. Which part of the States are you at?

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

johnaricka
Novice

Mar 31, 2003, 7:32 PM

Post #17 of 19 (4611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] House Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey another person from the states! I'm in California, about an hour north of Santa Barbara, if you know where that is.

milooh

Mar 31, 2003, 7:39 PM

Post #18 of 19 (4608 views)
Shortcut

The only city I have been to in California is San Francisco. Been to Las Vegas, Nevada twice and that's it.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

mackmack
Doggyman

Apr 1, 2003, 1:13 AM

Post #19 of 19 (4592 views)
Shortcut

Exactly the same way for me to clean the spots on carpet! Well....sometimes accidents fo happen on the couch too~~~ worse than on the carpetMad

Milooh~
i found it an inexpensive way to do pet-shopping is with coupons from weekly newspapers, especially when you could have Double-Coupons!Wink

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

(This post was edited by mackmack on Apr 1, 2003, 1:14 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my