Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Bang! Bang!

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 14, 2003, 10:24 AM

Post #1 of 13 (1551 views)
Shortcut
Bang! Bang! Can't Post

I've been trying to teach my shih tzu to play dead for the pass few days. Anyone with any good method(s) training this trick? I will tell him to get "Down",then i'll give command "Bang! Bang!" and try to push his body and head sideway. Sometimes he just gets up even before i can say "Bang! Bang!" becoz he's just to excited about the treats that he's gonna get from me. How do i make him focus on me and my commands instead of the treats?? I've tried hiding the treats or putting the treats somewhere else where he can't reach,but his sense of smell is just too good. Izzit possible to train a dog without giving it treats? Maybe i should try to use his favorite softtoy.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

mengchuah
Novice

Mar 14, 2003, 10:05 PM

Post #2 of 13 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamchooi] Bang! Bang! [In reply to] Can't Post

hOW OLD IS YOUR SHIH TZU? Do you live in an appartment? I own one mysef, 5 months old.

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 15, 2003, 8:16 AM

Post #3 of 13 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mengchuah] Bang! Bang! [In reply to] Can't Post

He is 6 months old now.We live in double storey house.Wink

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

timmy
Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2003, 5:25 PM

Post #4 of 13 (1527 views)
Shortcut

hi adam. i;m having a 3 mth sz too. i'm going thru all the ips and downs to train him. i believe u faced the same problem when he was 3 mths ago...he loves to bite lots till i punish him- he has no response Pirate

anyway y u use'bang bang' as for 'saty command?

i belive treats is still best way to train a puppy..

timmy
Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2003, 5:29 PM

Post #5 of 13 (1526 views)
Shortcut

by the way, u guys going to send ur sz for obedient course ? if so...maybe we can join the june intake togther, so that my timmy has partner!!

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 16, 2003, 8:53 AM

Post #6 of 13 (1523 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy] Bang! Bang! [In reply to] Can't Post

NO NO NO NO!!Tongue I'm teaching my boy boy to play dead.Once i use the command.. he'll have to lie down sideways and pretend that he's dead u see..

I actually thought of bringing him for obedience course too.But my breeder said it's not really necessary for shih Tzu.Anyway it's quite easy to train them to 'sit','down','hand' and etc.U can do it yourself at home.U'll be able to find lots of tips from this forum. I even taught Cookie(my dog) this 'drink' command. He'll go into the crate and drink his water from the bottle.I'm still finding extra time to teach him new tricks but no luck with 'bang bang' yet.

I went to MIPE today and saw them conducting the obedience competition.It's not a bad idea to enroll timmy for the course especially if u're interested in putting him into dog shows.

Anyway,good luck with training timmy. My boy is still a rascal and need more time to discipline him!

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 17, 2003, 6:54 AM

Post #7 of 13 (1513 views)
Shortcut

hello,

"I actually thought of bringing him for obedience course too.But my breeder said it's not really necessary for shih Tzu." i can't help noticing this, as i feel that the training has proven useful for many breeds all this while (including shih tzus).

obedience training is not fixed to certain breeds only.. there's no saying that which breed need the training more than which. sit, down... those are included in obedience training - but there are even more to learn other than those 2 commands - like on-leash heeling, off-leash heeling, recalls.... and many more. "hand", "play dead" - those are merely simple tricks for fun and entertainment.

i feel that obedience training could create a stronger bond between you and your dog plus, making your dog more disciplined.. you really should consider enrolling your boy for classes. not for shows or anything... but for the sake of bonding with your pup, have fun, and learn training dogs - the right way.

regards,
hunter

lulugurl
ALPHA

Mar 18, 2003, 1:56 AM

Post #8 of 13 (1496 views)
Shortcut

Hie~ My silky knows that command too. I dunno how she learns it, its when i shout BANG!!! and then she go sideways. At first, clench the treat inside your palm then went u go bang~!!, your finger shapes like the gun will go sideway too and some how, my dog follow so play dead SUCCESSSmile
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 18, 2003, 11:02 AM

Post #9 of 13 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Bang! Bang! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear hunter,

I totally agree with u.Can u give me some information about the obedience training?When will be the next intake?Location of training?Conducted on a field/in hall?Where to register?

Dear lulugurl,

How old is your Silky? Your furry friend must be a very fast learner.Not like my dumb dumb boyCrazy.Took him a month ++ to recognize the hand command.But it's definitely worth it.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

lulugurl
ALPHA

Mar 19, 2003, 12:05 AM

Post #10 of 13 (1470 views)
Shortcut

She is 1 yr old...Smile
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Mar 26, 2003, 8:46 PM

Post #11 of 13 (1447 views)
Shortcut

Hey, I think you can just train the commands yourself instead send him to obedience class (I guess training is fun for you and your pup.)

I will say 'BANG' commands easier if you train your dog 'STAY' first. Do he know command 'STAY' ?

That will be very easy if your pup greedy on eating and as well know the command 'ROLL OVER'.

This is what I do to jojo...

Command him 'down' first.. Shout 'BANG' (He won't understand firstly) ... ask him roll over and shout 'stay' when he did half way..

Repeat 'bang' and praise him.. Good dog! Give him the treat while he still stays on sleeping position.

Repeat this continuously for longest 5 min per day.. Slowly hopefully he will get it... hahahaSly
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Mar 26, 2003, 11:24 PM

Post #12 of 13 (1443 views)
Shortcut

OOpps..I forget to say.. once your pup manage well, then you can just use hand signal ask him 'stay' on until the time you commands him 'OK' then only he can get up from the 'dead' and get his treat.

I guess this is fun..Wink
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 27, 2003, 6:59 AM

Post #13 of 13 (1438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] Bang! Bang! [In reply to] Can't Post

BlushThanks alot for the information.I'll try it as soon as possible!

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my