Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Tick Fever

sweesan
Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2005, 11:41 PM

Post #1 of 4 (683 views)
Shortcut
Tick Fever Can't Post

a about 1-2 weeks ago i posted that i thought my dog had heat stroke. well actually not. the pale tongue and the yellowish brown coloured pee are the symtoms of having TICK FEVER. fyi it's dangerous cause this disease carrrying tick releases somekinda thing into the dog's blood stream and then slowly eats up the dogs red blood cells. a few days before CNY i brought my dog to the vet and had a tick fever blood test and it's positive. got a couple of jabs and put under some medication. a week later i realised it was still the same. except that the pee is no longer in brown colour ... it's light yellow colour but in a huge amount.. being energyless and tired and loss of appetite.. i had to bring my dog to the vet again. this time to have another blood test for the counts of red and white blood cells. and the vet said he need to have blood transmission if the blood report comes out tomorrow (which is today) isnt good. i got a shock of my life. not only that he has tick fever but a quite serious one. and the fact is that .. he usually doenst have any ticks!!! perhaps only 1 or 2 .... unlucky i guess.

so for you guys out there having ticks problem, please treat ur dog with care make sure u get rid of them before they get rid of your dog.. and pale tongue pale gum loss of appetite energyless dull face yellowish brown pee are all symtoms of tick fever. send them to the vet immediately. i mean.. IMMEDIATELY !!

Hugo's Collection Laugh

Hugo's Collection II
Laugh

My site

yst323
Old Kaki

Feb 15, 2005, 9:05 PM

Post #2 of 4 (667 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweesan] Tick Fever [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us..I bet many of us have not encountered this before...

How is the blood test result?

ST & PP & TT Frown

PP & TT photos
(latest upload: 3 Feb 2006)

sweesan
Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2005, 7:07 AM

Post #3 of 4 (644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yst323] Tick Fever [In reply to] Can't Post

erm.. well the report said that his red blood cells (RBC) is at 2.3% only ... and the minimum is 5.5%.. the vet said it's kinda low because it;s only half of the expected.. so she told me to monitor my dog's urine and his appetite and his gum colour as well as to continue feeding him the medicines ...

well.. i think today's been better.. the urines not so brown and not in such a huge amount .. u know just like normal kinda pee.. and his appetite ... has somehow been better .. he eats like human now cause he eats rice n chicken meat n cheese. well the doc say let him eat whatever he wants for now first ... his gum is not as pale as the other day ... the only problem is that ... it's very hard to feed him medicines .. so i have to wrap them up in between the chicken meat and feed it to him .. that's the only way to make him eat the medicines !! Pirateand we've been giving him chicken essence because it's em.. nutritious as what the vet said ... so basically just doing everything carefully and monitoring him ... so that he rests enough and eats properly..

the vet said that well ... to find a dog just incase hugo (my dog) needs blood. she said the blood transfer to the dog is very 'precious' and he has to accept the blood .. if not .. then ... i also dunno how liao ...

but well.. for now i think he's fine ... will see how's the progress in the next 2 days .. he's really skinny now, if not because of his furs .. i think he will look like .. a stick with 4 legs ... Crazy

Hugo's Collection Laugh

Hugo's Collection II
Laugh

My site

yst323
Old Kaki

Feb 16, 2005, 4:39 PM

Post #4 of 4 (635 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweesan] Tick Fever [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear that Hugo is in good condition...and hope he will recover soon.

U too have to take care before u can take care of Hugo... keep us update on his condition ya....

ST & PP & TT Frown

PP & TT photos
(latest upload: 3 Feb 2006)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my