When Frontline is ineffective

fungee
New User

Feb 13, 2005, 1:02 PM

Post #1 of 19 (1311 views)
Shortcut
When Frontline is ineffective Can't Post

Hi All,

Need help with ticks/fleas. I've been using frontline for a few years now, and recently I found it to be ineffective against ticks and probably fleas. Does anyone know why ???

Can someone recommend what else I can use ? I did some research and heard that K9 Advantix, Advantage, Program and Revolution are other famous brand names. I wonder if these are available in Msia. Please recommend which is the next best thing and where in PJ/KL can I buy these products.

Thanks !

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Feb 14, 2005, 4:43 PM

Post #2 of 19 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fungee] When Frontline is ineffective [In reply to] Can't Post

though i am not saying you only. it could be u r not using it according to the instruction and remember it has to be applied monthly. and if ur dog is long haired, it will need to be rubbed onto the skin. frontline is to rubbed onto the skin and not for the fur.

i have a feeling that u either spray too little and just on the fur. i suggest you follow the instruction on the bottle and when u spray on the dog, rub it into his skin.

if ur dog has been using frontline and still have ticks/fleas, i am quite impressed ur dog is still alive!Crazy

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 15, 2005, 3:56 AM

Post #3 of 19 (1266 views)
Shortcut

Yes. You are right.

Frontline spray can be ineffective when you use frequently. The Tick/Flea will immute to it. Don't spray it monthly. Use it when your dog have tick/flea. I did't spray frontline or use any Tick/Flea product to my Silky for almost 2 year already. When they did have Tick/Flea I only spray once and it solve the problem. And I notice when I spray frontline on my Silky It also damage/dry/break their hair.

K9 Advantix, Advantage, Program and Revolution I never use before. Hope others can give their comment about it.

fungee
New User

Feb 15, 2005, 7:21 AM

Post #4 of 19 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] When Frontline is ineffective [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually stopped using frontline for 2 months, then the fleas/ticks came back by the hundreds. I am starting it again now, but I noticed that after a few days (About 4-5), frontline becomes a little more effective. Their claim of 18 hours after application does not seem to hold true. I have also been manually removing ticks from my shit-tzu, this helps a lot I guess. I still find about 4-5 ticks some dead and some not but it's definitely an improvement.

I use spot-on, maybe the spray is more effective, spot-on may take sometime before it spreads to the entire body.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 15, 2005, 4:43 PM

Post #5 of 19 (1252 views)
Shortcut

WAH!!! Where did you keep your dog? Did your house got grass or cat?

If you got grass around your house try to spray some on it.

Treat it both at the same time.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 15, 2005, 5:43 PM

Post #6 of 19 (1248 views)
Shortcut

I tell you something very funny lah... For the past 6 years, non of my dogs(long hair and short hair) have ticks.... we never use Frontline or any tick medication.... something weird and natural.... and you won't believe how efficient these can be to contraol ticks hahaha.... CHICKENS!!!! I ahve chickens eat up all the snails, ticks and other crawlies and now no more chickens but my house still free of them.... weird rite? Before we had chickens ah, my grass area had a lot of ticks....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 15, 2005, 5:55 PM

Post #7 of 19 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] When Frontline is ineffective [In reply to] Can't Post

Hahaha How your dog reaction when he see the Chicken? Hahaha

For me If I got a Chicken sure will died from my 4Silky chasing him, Before the Chicken even start cleaning up Tick/Flea. hahaha

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 15, 2005, 6:05 PM

Post #8 of 19 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Well, my shih tzu and lab don't care about the chickens... my late dachshund, known as a hunting dog but loves my chickens, he was an angel lah. Sleeps and shares his dog house with my chickens.... one chicken loves to lay eggs in his dog house and he don't mind at all. Too bad he got poisoned by robbers.... now ah, my boxers will chase my chickens so I have to pen them up for their safety. But really affective with ticks loh.. my house tak ada fleas and ticks in the grass anymore.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

MisterStan
Doggyman

Feb 16, 2005, 7:29 AM

Post #9 of 19 (1219 views)
Shortcut

hey, when your chickens lay eggs, give me some chicky's.. so that i can put in my garden hehehe... to get rid of ticks and for henry to hunt.... poor henry, everytime also looking for something to hunt down...

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 17, 2005, 12:06 AM

Post #10 of 19 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] When Frontline is ineffective [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah? Ask you lah..... you think male chickens can lay eggs or not? Hehehehe.... sorry, you will have to buy hahha.. my chickens all males hahaha.... eh, not expensive mah, RM3 for a chick and Henry will love you for it hahahahh...Crazy

MisterStan
Doggyman

Feb 17, 2005, 12:13 AM

Post #11 of 19 (1209 views)
Shortcut

all males ar? why you so pin sam wan, get males and don't want females.. TongueTongueTongue you are just like my snowy, only bark at females, and do not bark at males.. SlySlySlySly

last time, my grandma used to rare chickens and sell them. but now no more, due to old age. I think i cannot keep chickens in front lah, as my gate got lubang that the chickens can escape to the road...

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 17, 2005, 12:46 AM

Post #12 of 19 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] When Frontline is ineffective [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah? Like Snowy? Gila ke? hehehehehe... Ceh, the mother hen chicks all males mah and the mother died of old age so left only the males loh... nature wanted all to be males but I wanted all to be females.... teruknya!

Ah, you get those big fat ones ah, can't escape wan....

MisterStan
Doggyman

Feb 17, 2005, 4:21 AM

Post #13 of 19 (1197 views)
Shortcut

ic ic... see lah, just worry henry bite until the hen die.. ekeke... tambah 1 dosa lagi... Unsure

Amanda85
Doggyman

Feb 28, 2005, 9:29 PM

Post #14 of 19 (1117 views)
Shortcut

it is possible that Frontline can go ineffective, so try to switch to other product and back again to Frontline after 1/2 year or even a year.

and do apply when neccessary, i personally do not apply Fontline every month. only when i 'm planning her to go to a highly infested area like to jungle or balik kampung.

if ur dog is always indoor, is not neccesary and when you bring ur dog out for daily walk, do avoid grassy area beside the road, there is where dogs get those fleas and ticks from.

too much of chemical products can bring harms to ur dog in long term usage

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Feb 28, 2005, 9:30 PM)

syung
Novice

Mar 1, 2005, 9:19 PM

Post #15 of 19 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] When Frontline is ineffective [In reply to] Can't Post

Try using Bayticol (marketed by Bayer). It is very effective and my vet said can be used on nursing bitches as well. It is very safe for the dogs.

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 2, 2005, 2:43 AM

Post #16 of 19 (1087 views)
Shortcut

in theory the spot-on is more effective. to use it...do ensure that the before application, there shd be a gap of 3 days after shower and wait at least 3 days after application before the next shower.

like others have mentioned, place the drops on the skin not fur. a trick that i picked up recently is to use it at the back of the neck and also a few more drops around the beginning if the tail and also the ears.

also, no matter how youi frontline (in chronic cases), it helps to ensure the surrounding area is properly cleaned as well...afterall the bugsies can survive one month without poochie's blood easily. i am a little mad
Frown so i actually did frontline (spray) furkid's sleeping and play area...its effective...

j-wong
Dog Kichi

Mar 3, 2005, 2:59 AM

Post #17 of 19 (1068 views)
Shortcut

Ha..ha....sad to say frontline is ineffective though the pet shops says it kill's the ticks....and i found out it doesn't....the ticks actually starts to leave the dog's for 3-4 days then it come's back....

My colleague did intro a few dollars powder i forgot the name will ask him again he say it works and available in supermarket's, but i didn't manage to find it........

Tiggykoh
Dog Kichi

Mar 16, 2005, 3:23 AM

Post #18 of 19 (1023 views)
Shortcut

Hi

According to my vet, Frontline spreads due to the layer of oil of the dog's skin. That's why there must be a 2 day gap from bathing before you put Frontline on. The most effective is to stop bathing your dogs for a week (if you can tahan the smell Tongue) after applying the spot-on frontline.

I find the spray not as effective and if your dog is a big dog, a waste of money..

lynch
Novice

Apr 7, 2005, 1:38 AM

Post #19 of 19 (966 views)
Shortcut

hmm... i dunno if this is suitable for your doggie but my 2 rascals hv been tick/flea-free since i started supplementing their diet wth vitamin B conditioning tablets (yeast-based) and a little bit of garlic every couple of days. also religiously clean their sleeping quarters jst to be doubly sure! hvn't had to buy flea/tick meds or shampoos in a loooong time Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my