Dog Kichi

Feb 11, 2005, 8:05 AM

Post #1 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut
Please/MUST Read - If you are getting a dog Can't Post

ARE YOU CONSIDERING ADOPTING A DOG?
READ THE "RIGHT" AND "WRONG" REASONS

Wrong:

Because you are lonely - the decision to adopt a dog should not be based on your immediate emotional needs. If you are going through a difficult emotional time, you cannot expect a pet to resolve the problem or to act as a temporary buffer.

Right:

When you want a companion to share your life - Dogs are wonderful companions, but adding a dog to your life means making a long-term commitment to the animal, even through the normal short-term changes that occur in life, such as moving or divorce. Adopting a new friend will work best if you already have a stable home.

Wrong:

To teach a child how to be responsible - taking care of a dog can be a lot of work. It is unrealistic for adults to expect a child to care for a pet with all of the responsibilities in caring for a dog. Adults should not use animals as teaching tools.

Right:

When everyone in your home wants a dog - before bringing a new dog home, household members should be in favor of the adopting and agree to share in the responsibilities of dog ownership. Although parents should be the main caretakers, children can learn pet responsibility without becoming overwhelmed if they are given specific jobs, such as walking or feeding their pet.

Wrong:

Because you feel sorry for a dog in a pet shop - Pity is a poor reason for getting a dog. If you do, you may have to give up your new pet anyway, since a pity based decision is not based on realistic expectations, commitment, or a thorough understanding of what your pet's need are. Puppies purchased in pet stores inevitably become sick and often have abnormalities in disposition and/or stature. This may add to a burden to care for a sick puppy with vet bills. Please search on the web for :puppy mills to learn more about the horrific conditions that these pet shop animals come from. You're not doing any dog a favor to adopt him out of pity and then later put him through the emotional strain of once again adjusting to yet another home. Pets need stability just as much as people do.

Right:

When you understand what pet responsibility means - you should not adopt a dog based on an emotional impulse or whim. Before bringing a dog home, educate yourself about pet responsibility and the kind of dog that would best fit your lifestyle. Careful research, honest reflection and education are the keys to keeping a dog and avoiding the tragedy of having to give the animal up. DO NOT adopt or purchase a dog/puppy just because its CUTE, do your research!

Wrong:

Because you think your home needs protection - if you only want to adopt a dog to guard your home, you're better off getting an alarm system. Reliable protection dogs often require more extensive training, socialization and exercise than other dogs. They are often not appropriate family dogs.

Right:

When you can consider your dog as a member of the family - unless trained by professionals for special jobs or situations, dogs should be considered companion pets and should be given daily attention, care and basic behavior training to make them welcome in society and in your home. Training your dog will not only help you communicate better with your pet, it will help ensure that the relationship will last.

Wrong:

As a surprise gift - dogs and all pets for that matter, should be considered family members and not as objects or gifts. Never buy a dog for someone as a surprise. Getting a dog for someone that is not prepared or in agreement with the adoption may cause the animal to end up in a shelter or in a home where he or she is not wanted.

Right:

When you know animals should not be disposable - remember that animals are not disposable. They bond deeply with those they love and should be treated as family members, not as articles of clothing that can easily exchanged or returned. If you want to give someone a dog as a gift, make sure the recipient meets the dog and understands and agrees to the responsibility of dog ownership.

SmoochieMama
Dog Kichi

Feb 11, 2005, 8:26 AM

Post #2 of 15 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SmoochieMama] Please/MUST Read - If you are getting a dog [In reply to] Can't Post

I am getting very very mad here!! I don't know is this a right place for me to vent my anger, I really wanna tell the whole world of people, please do not get/buy/adopt a dog just because HE/SHE is very very cute!

THis is a very VERY LAME excuse!!! A PUP is forever cute, but a pup can't be a pup forever!!! He/she will grow up, the size will become bigger and the weight will become heavier, FOR GOD SAKE,PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO GO AGANIST THIS, if you can't take it!!!!!! Then don't buy it!!! FOR A SIMPLE example, if you are getting a st, the weight has to be from 4kg to as heavy as 8kg, if she/he is within it, is good, that's only provided you are giving enough food and drink and supplement to keep him/her healthy. On top of that, it also depends on his parents, if one big and another one medium, how can you expect it to be MINI! A mini can produce, only when the male and female are both small. If one of them are big, it can't be small! Get it?

When breeding, commonly, the male is always smaller than the female, then the pup wouldn't be too big that may danger the mama's life during delivery, your pup can be the smaller among the pups, that's because he got the less nutrition from the mama. This is so simple, I don't understand how come human can't understand this, they are just like us, our mothers gave birth to us, my parents are so small, how heavy or how big can I be?

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN, if you wanna be proud having a mini esp. when you have no idea or 100% confirm that he/she is a mini, I have a suggestion to you, Next time,if you wanna have a beautiful daughter so you can be proud out there, doll up your daughter or better still, bring her for cosmetic surgery, besides, in order to make sure she is as slim as other girls/models, starve her! If not, how to be proud?

In real life, I've seen one female st, very well taken care of her owner, she is like a queen at home, she is a MINI st, her parents are as small as her and her lifespan is much much shorter than normal st. Her owners NEVER starve her, she eats according to her weight and of cos, recommentation by registered vet. My point is, there is mini st in the market, but is super rare and very expensive! They can't be show as they can't be listed as a st due to their size and weight. SHOW ring have only standard size st. You can call them teacup st too, but anyone seen anything like "MINI ST" in show ring? If you think your st can be MINI st by controlling her diet, why not you just get a CHH who can be as light as 0.9kg !

SmoochieMama
Dog Kichi

Feb 11, 2005, 8:36 AM

Post #3 of 15 (2227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SmoochieMama] Please/MUST Read - If you are getting a dog [In reply to] Can't Post

This forum's contents are very rich and there are lots of infos, but i think, the infos I provide here are the most basic and the most important infos that everyone should take note. I really hate seeing dogs being abandoned or ill-treated by owners. I help in fostering and rehoming dogs, I've seen many many ugly ppls who just want a cute dog to show off but refuse to fork our a cent on him/her. I feel so sad and I encourage all to read up more before deciding bring one home, because you can't give him/her a home by being selfish or ignorant, you will only bring stress to them. My 2 furballs are adopted by me, their condition and temperament are not super good like what you can see now, i put in so much effort and try to understand every single hints they are giving me. I really hope everyone owners will understand why am I so agitated over this thread.

SmoochieMama
Dog Kichi

Feb 11, 2005, 8:38 AM

Post #4 of 15 (2226 views)
Shortcut

... in a nutshell
If you're thinking of adding a dog to your household, you're probably looking forward to the fun and companionship a dog can provide. Before you get a dog, think carefully about the positive and negative aspects of dog ownership, and honestly answer the following questions:

Do I have the time to care for a dog?
(housebreaking, training, exercise, grooming, daily attention?)

Can I afford the cost of owning a dog?
(adoption cost, veterinary care, food, proper amount of space, spay/neuter surgery, grooming?)

Can I tolerate the extra housework once the novelty wears off?
(muddy paws, shedding hair, accidents on the rug?)

Is my living situation stable enough to justify acquiring a dog?
(landlord approval, moving frequently, house-mates, frequent travel, planning for a baby?)

Are my family members or house-mates willing and ready to have a dog and if he causes problems, willing also to work with the dog?

Am I willing and able to make a lifelong commitment to an animal?
Nothing is more cruel for a social, pack animal like the dog than to find himself isolated, neglected, or abandoned by his human "pack".

(This post was edited by SmoochieMama on Feb 11, 2005, 8:38 AM)

SmoochieMama
Dog Kichi

Feb 11, 2005, 8:40 AM

Post #5 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

... read more
Things to Consider Before Adopting A Dog...
Is a dog the right pet for you? Your dog will depend on you throughout his life, and with proper care, may live 10 years or more. Are you willing and able to care properly for him and provide him a stable home for that long?

Don't get a dog without considering and planning for the costs for such a responsibility. Normal veterinary care includes spaying or neutering, yearly shots and boosters, licenses and examinations for typical diseases. Preventive and consistent care is less expensive in the long run.

Here are some questions to help you decide if a dog is the right pet for you and if so, what kind of dog to get:

1. How much time can you spend with a dog? Dogs are social creatures; they will not be happy left out in the garden / kitchen alone. You must be committed to spending several hours a day with a dog.

2. What kind of space can you provide for a dog? If you live in a small apartment, you must take this into consideration. Many dogs will not do well in a small apartment unless you expend a great deal of effort to meet their needs. Note : It really doesn't mean a big dog can't fit in a small apartment. Dogs can be pretty adaptable as long as you help them out.

3. How much money can you set aside for the care and feeding of a dog? Even if you do not purchase a pure-bred dog, you must buy food, pay for veterinary checkups, vaccinations and routine medical care, food bowls, collars, licenses, ID tags, leashes, carriers, etc. over the lifetime of the dog. It also might be necessary to replace items the dog may damage or destroy, or paying for medical emergencies. Do you have a stable job or the financial resources for this?

4. How much exercise can you give a dog? If you are very busy and your time is limited, you should look for small or less active dogs that can get enough exercise in your home or from short walks. Not all small dogs are less active nor are larger dogs more active. Find out all you can about the breed of your dog, even if he is a mixed breed.

5. How much grooming can you do? All dogs require some grooming. Longhaired dogs are more likely to need more grooming than shorthaired dogs. Grooming is a part of good health. If you get a dog that requires regular grooming, are you prepared to pay for his grooming or learn to do it yourself and do it regularly?

6. How much training can you do? No matter what dog you get, training will make your dog much more compatible with you and with what you want to do. A trained dog can go more places with you without disruption and can more easily be a part of your life. You are responsible for becoming more knowledgeable about dogs-don't let your dog wind up at the SPCA with a note that says "couldn't be housebroken" or "couldn't be trained." Find some good books to read about dogs and dog behavior-the local library or bookstore has many. Enroll in puppy or dog classes and learn from an instructor. These classes can be fun for you and your dog! The benefits last the whole lifetime of your dog, can we be more convincing?

7. What are you looking for in a dog? Do you want a dog that will jog with you? Do you want a dog who is bouncy and ready to go or one who is more relaxed? Do you want a dog that gets along
with other animals? Consider & choose your dog wisely.

8. Whatever dog you choose, you are making a long-term commitment. Your dog will need attention, love and respect from you : food and water are NOT enough. Consider your dog part of your family-that is what your dog will think about you, You are his pack.

9. You are responsible for your dog's health. Choose a veterinarian before you even get your dog and take your dog there immediately. Even if you are assured the dog is healthy, the veterinarian confirms that and make sure you are aware of what health checks are required next.

10. If you get a dog for protection, you are responsible for making sure that the dog is safe, reliable and trustworthy around people. Never chain up or cage up a dog in the backyard or cage or encourage him to snarl and bite other people. You are responsible for your dog's behavior-this means keeping your dog under control. Keep your dog on a leash when out of a fenced yard and always clean up after your dog when he eliminates.

11. Do not breed your dog - have your dog spayed or neutered. If you breed your dog, the puppies take away the same number of good homes from rescued dogs who even are more in need of them.

12. You are still responsible for the dog when you "get one for your child." Until your child reaches a certain age, he or she will not have enough maturity to take responsibility for a dog. Dogs acquired for this reason often wind up in shelters or being abandoned when the parents realize that they are the dogs primary caretaker. A dog can be a good way to teach children about responsibility, but the dog is still your main responsibility.

13. Many young or newly married couples are looking forward to own a dog. You have your own house, building up your new family & lifestyle, thinking a dog will complete it. Are you one of them? Are you planning to have a child? You may say "Not in the near future" but if you get a fairly young dog, he will be with you at least for the next 10 years. You WILL have a child along the way. What are your thoughts concerning children & dogs? They can mix, they can't mix? You think they can but if you have a child, can you tolerate :
* your child being startled by sudden barkings of your dog?
* dog fur on the floor where you baby crawls on, fur on your child's clothes, even in his porridge?
* when your dog affectionately kisses your child on the mouth?
* having to still walk your dog twice a day despite having a hard day at work & broken sleep having a crying baby at night etc?
* parents', in-laws', relatives', friends' naggings to get rid of the dog now that the baby is here?
You DON'T have to give up your beloved pet when the baby arrives! Having children AND dogs can be the most wonderful experience you, your children or your dog can ever have!

curlymojo
Novice

Feb 24, 2005, 6:55 PM

Post #6 of 15 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Frown yes yes yes good good very good, i 100 % agreed with you. shold send more this ype of info to educated us. thank you very much. FrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrown

michellechen

Jun 22, 2005, 9:16 AM

Post #7 of 15 (1860 views)
Shortcut

So it IS true tht smaller shih tzu r less healthy... But I'v seen really HUGE shih tzu n it's only 5mths old..! Does tht mean it's really healthy..? Does size really determine how healthy a ST is? How small r "unhealthy small"..?
-michelle-

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jun 24, 2005, 4:34 AM

Post #8 of 15 (1850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michellechen] Please/MUST Read - If you are getting a dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Carry the pup, if you feel skin and bones, not chubby then it's unhealthy. Puppies normally can't feel bones. They have a lot of puppy fat to make them chubby. The best way to find a good breeder is call up numbers and ask them a few questions:

Are the dogs imperial shih tzus?
Do all the pups have undershot teeth?
Are the parents viewable?

These are questions normally good breeders would answer and give correct anwser too. If the 1st onhe they said yes, then don't need to see. No such thing as imperial shih tzu. If the owner doesn't know what is undershot, they don't know what they are breeding. All breeders must let people see the parents. Then you will be able to get the picture of what your pup will look like when older.

Small puppies come about when the mother dog is under stress and breed so many times till the litter is small puppies. If the litter is big say, 5 pups, sure a bit small.... large pups, you should check the background out. A 2 month old pup should not be bigger than young rabbit. When adult size, should be around the size of a cat. A pup should be light, not as small as a kitten but able to cover both your hands when you carry it.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

michellechen

Jun 24, 2005, 11:34 AM

Post #9 of 15 (1846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Please/MUST Read - If you are getting a dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Thx 4 ur detailed xplaination... Really appreciate tht...

May I knw wht is undershot teeth? Blush
-michelle-

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jun 25, 2005, 2:20 AM

Post #10 of 15 (1838 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michellechen] Please/MUST Read - If you are getting a dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Undershot teeth is the lower teeth stick out more than the upper teeth, something like a bulldog. I have come across breeders and petshops that give me funny stories. I read a lot bout shih tzus so I know. They would say got 2 kind of shih tzus, the japanese and taiwanese. They say the japanese is very small and has normal teeth, the taiwanese are small and have undershot teeth. Actually, normal shih tzus whouldn't be very small, an adult should weight bout 6kg average. Undershot teeth is normal and standard.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

michellechen

Jun 25, 2005, 11:52 AM

Post #11 of 15 (1834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Please/MUST Read - If you are getting a dog [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Undershot teeth is the lower teeth stick out more than the upper teeth, something like a bulldog. Undershot teeth is normal and standard.

So, ALL shih tzu wil hav undershot teeth? Wen wil it start 2 b noticeable? Even can c wen they r puppies?
-michelle-

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jun 26, 2005, 2:45 AM

Post #12 of 15 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Normally all also have undershot, but when they close their mouth, cannot see. If can see ah, it's not good coz the dog will have problem eating later. Yes, can see when puppy. Sometimes, in a litter, maybe 1 puppy will have normal teeth and others will have undershot. Also depends on the parents.

michellechen

Jun 26, 2005, 11:08 AM

Post #13 of 15 (1822 views)
Shortcut

My fren's shih tzu is 1yr+, has very noticeable undershot teeth... Wht kinda eatin problem wil it face? Coz it seems ok 2 me... Tongue
-michelle-

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jun 27, 2005, 2:39 AM

Post #14 of 15 (1817 views)
Shortcut

Well, it'll show when old age. But it won't cause a lot of problem. Just that the teeth are too out so maybe the chewing is not the same as a normal dog. As long as take care of the teeth then it's ok. Be aware ah, shih tzus prone to teeth problem. Mine lost a lot of teeth, now old dog.

woof
Dog Kichi

Jul 1, 2005, 6:38 PM

Post #15 of 15 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Way to go Smoochie Mama !! I agreed with you fully !!

Good to know there's still such soul that love dog till this way around, pleasure to know you !!

Yours in the World of Animal,
Woof Woof

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my