Can JRT be trained to live in a condo?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

aliciakok
Novice

Feb 7, 2005, 11:02 PM

Post #1 of 40 (5084 views)
Shortcut
Can JRT be trained to live in a condo? Can't Post

I've always loved the JRT. I can afford to buy a condo and not a landed property. Can a JRT be trained to live in a condo?

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2005, 11:12 PM

Post #2 of 40 (5072 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aliciakok] Can JRT be trained to live in a condo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not impossible… but will b quite demanding n not recommended if u don’t hv d time 4 d dog eg. if u‘ll b working n leaving d JRT on its own 4 more than 8 hrs/day. JRTs need lots of activity/attn, otherwise ur condo n furniture will b turned in2 his playground. U hv 2 invest d time so dat d JRT will eventually learn where 2 do his business, not 2b noisy n play only with his toys n not d furniture. Also, hv 2 b trained not 2 bark at all times otherwise ur neighbours will want 2 get rid of ur dog.

Certainly, expect d following:

- losing pieces of furniture due 2 biting antics in d early stages

- fur being shed on carpets n furniture

- JRT taking over ur living room n if u r not careful, ur bedroom as well

- JRT taking over ur favourite sofa n cushions

- JRT pawing/ staring at u 4 playtime…all d time

- doggie toys lying all over ur condo

- smuggling ur dog in/out of premises in big shoulder bags

- daily exercise at nearby park = lots of smuggling work required

If u’re still interested in a JRT, den it’s not all doom n gloom. JRTs r smart n quick learners n will settle down 2 a routine lifestyle eventually provided dey r given adequate daily exercise n play 2 keep their busy minds n bodies occupied. If u can fit in lunch time visits during working days, den he’ll b more settled. If u are willing to put in d hrs n effort, den owning a JRT in an apartment is a possibility.

Groovy (JRT), ‘Give me a lifetime of adventure…n I’ll give u an adventure of a lifetime.’

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Feb 9, 2005, 1:01 AM

Post #3 of 40 (5062 views)
Shortcut

Jack Russell Terriers are NOT suitable for apartment living and no amount of training is going to change their breed temperament and their requirements.

Expecting a JRT to live in an apartment would be like expecting you to live in a space no bigger than a prison cell. You have to pee, poo and LIVE in that small area. The only time you get out of the cell is when someone decides to take you out and only for as long as they "feel" like it. If you want to go shopping but that person doesn't "feel" like going shopping, you just have to go back into your cell and TOO BAD!

Don't pick a dog breed based on it's looks alone. Almost all pure bred dogs were bred for a specific purpose. These days, the dogs may no longer be used for that purpose but their natural instincts (and therefore, needs) are still the same. You have to look for a breed that suits your lifestyle and not expect the breed to adapt to yours.

If you want to get a pure bred dog, get a book on dog breeds and make a short list of breeds that appeal to you. Then do your research on the breeds and find one that suits your lifestyle. If breed is not important, then go to your local animal shelter and get a dog that you like the look of. Since you'll be living in a apartment, look for a smaller sized dog.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 9, 2005, 9:36 AM

Post #4 of 40 (5051 views)
Shortcut

Hi Alicia,

Have to agree with both Gus-Gus and groovemaster here...

JRTs are hunting dogs and are bred for a specific purpose, to be hunters and brave enough to stand up to a fox or small quarry.

Lots of ppl have the misconception that the JRT is small, therefore can live in an apartment, like the AST or other small breeds. There is a reason why the JRT is still a terrier and not classified as a toy breed...

If you would like more info, please head on to this site... http://www.terrier.com. There is a small "test" to let you know if you're suitable to care for the JRT.

Kudos on you for finding out more info about this dog breed before getting one. We won't like to face a situation where JRTs have to be rescued because ppl don't understand their needs. This has become a problem overseas like UK, US or Aust, where JRT rescue centres are put up becoz ppl are abandoning a dog that they don't understand...

Good luck... Wink

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 9, 2005, 9:38 AM

Post #5 of 40 (5050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groovemaster] Can JRT be trained to live in a condo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great advice groovemaster!!

You own a JRT? Join the JRT Zone... TongueTongueTongue How old is your little "Terrierist" you've got there... Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2005, 2:05 AM

Post #6 of 40 (5025 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Can JRT be trained to live in a condo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually my gf owns d JRT n she’s in d JRT zone as Mun Yee & Groovy (1.5 yr old). I’m only an innocent bystander dragged in2 d never ending ritual of being constantly pursued n hunted by a ‘Jr. Terrorist’.

Groovy, ‘Wats ur name mister (JRT photo)?’

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2005, 2:17 AM

Post #7 of 40 (5023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] Can JRT be trained to live in a condo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Whilst a JRT is generally unsuited to an apartment lifestyle, I know of several owners who hv successfully brought up d mutt in such an environment. Dont underestimate d JRT, he’s smarter than u think or hv read about. Not only can he work in a farm environment, he can also learn 2 live in d civilised comfort of an air conditioned apartment, listening 2 jazz on d hi-fi n watching Astro’s Animal Planet whilst munching on his Doggyman treats.

In fact, many JRTs r domesticated n live inside family homes (even in Gwailoh countries) n unless d garden is well barricaded, it’s not advisable 2 leave dem alone n unleashed in d compound anyway. Which then brings us back 2 proper supervision, adequate training n giving dem daily exercise n play at d park. Again dont underestimate d JRT, u’ll b surprised how much he can n is willing 2 learn if u r willing 2 train. Definitely not encouraging apartment owners out there 2 get a JRT, far from it. Only those with an active lifestyle n r willing to spend significant time n effort n should contemplate…the same goes for any active small dog.

After all, our forefathers had 2 start somewhere in d domestication of wolves/dogs. Otherwise, even toy breeds wont be suited to an enclosed lifestyle.

Groovy, ‘Give me an lifetime of adventure…n I’ll give u an adventure of a lifetime.’

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 22, 2005, 8:40 PM

Post #8 of 40 (4915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groovemaster] Can JRT be trained to live in a condo? [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownFrownFrown...

Kekekee... A good description... My lil' "terrierist" used to hunt down & "molest" my sis's friend when he came to visit. Something about the way he smelt that attracted her to him.. lol!!!!

Ok.. I'll look out for Groovy's mum in the JRT Zone... Hmmm... Wonder who is keeping the list updated... Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

aliciakok
Novice

Apr 20, 2005, 6:48 PM

Post #9 of 40 (4792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Can JRT be trained to live in a condo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

Thanks for the advise, and sorry for the late reply. I've been busy getting stuff and cleaning the condo that I haven't logged into the site for 2 months!

I've read up on other sites about the JRT and grovemaster, what you say is very true. I WOULD HAVE stricked off the idea of a JRT 2 days and 2 months ago....but yesterday when I pop by at the store - BEHOLD 2 JRTs. I don't want to sound offensive to owners of pugs and Shih Tzus or Silky Terriers but they are way too noisy with their squeky yapping, and they really don't suit my character of bringing them for a sprint walk or a run. Before yesterday, I have never seen a JRT or carried one before. After which I've done that - the bubble of getting a Shih Tzu bust and pop the JRT.

I have taken care of 2 dogs....mongrels who were train by me to sit, stay, sleep and rollover. No matter what people may perceived that they are not as smart as pure breed. It is UNTRUE. IT DEPENDS ON THE OWNER. Never sent them for professional training. I would bring them for walks daily, so I'm no amateur with the poo and pee and the love they require. I still would send the JRT for professional training. However having a dog in a condo....is what concerns me. That is totally new to me. However I know of 2 residents there who own SHih Tzus.

Don't worry about the walks, I intend to bring the mutt to the Bandar Utama's Park, which is 5 minutes drive. Ikano the dog friendly place is 2 minutes drive. My mum who is retired and will be with her for most of the day. So time alone will averagely be 2 - 4hrs. At times she will be her daily. It stay in a corner unit as such no neighbours on my left side or opposite.

I don't see a point getting a Shih Tzu, Pug or Silky Terriers if I don't even like looking at them. It's just like keeping a pet because you have to have a companion....not because you WANT too. If I am in the later situation, the pet will be at the pound. No love lost...as I never wanted that breed anyway.

I intend to get it sometime in July when I am back travelling overseas. So need the time to train the JRT. Leaving her behind for 2 weeks will be heartwrencing if I get it now. However I will read up on the breed, hear what advise you folks at puppy.com have and who knows maybe I'll find another breed. I have the time for walks and lots of love for the dog. However long fur that needs to be trimmed and comb is a BIG NO NO. Never had dogs that needs THAT kind of attention. So guys, please advise me. If you know of any breed that is small and short fur other than the JRT, do let me know.

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2005, 1:58 AM

Post #10 of 40 (4776 views)
Shortcut

WinkLooks like time 4 d dog isnt a problem 4 u. JRTs r good watch dogs, can b yappy n deir bark can b really loud, so b prepared 2 condition ur dog so dat he remains quiet at all times while in d condo. I think most neighbours can put up with dogs generally but wat dey cant stand is d barking…cant blame dem especially in a condo environment. So u really need 2 train him from day 1 as it only takes 1 neighbour 2 complain bout d noise.

JRTs shed a fair bit. So if u r fussy bout fur on furniture, u’ve been warned…

Is d condo dog friendly? Otherwise, u’ll hv 2 get used 2 smuggling him in/out in a large shoulder bag everyday 2 get 2 d park. D BU park may not b dog friendly so may hv 2 look 4 another open grass area 2 play.

Other suitable dogs 4 apartments r Pugs, Chihuahuas French Bulldogs but if u r looking 4 a sprinting or running kaki, den d JRT will keep u fit.

Happy hunting 4 ur ideal pal. Here’s hoping u get ur wish…d rascal!

Groovy, ‘JRT motto: Leap b4 u look…or Leap 1st, den only look.’

aliciakok
Novice

Apr 21, 2005, 2:12 AM

Post #11 of 40 (4772 views)
Shortcut

Yups....the yapping is going to be a real problem. I've always been lucky to hv good pets with good temperments, so wish me luck!!

The place wouldn't say it's dog friendly proof, so I will need to smuggle her in a bag for the time being and take the staircase. Pheew....6 floors up and down, would be a good exercise! Plus point is I stay in a corner, by neighbour upstairs is a Shih Tzu owner and next door are Chinese.

How come BU not dog friendly? I thought they had dog events there so should be fine....What was your experience there? Any suggestions in other parks?

Any opinions on Pugs? Might consider that...but again kinda ugly and not so intelligent looking. Any experiene with that breed?

Let's hope for the best that I have a good little mutt that listens to me!

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2005, 6:42 AM

Post #12 of 40 (4758 views)
Shortcut

If ur dog is trained 2 b quiet n with a raincoat 2 cover him, den d lift mayb accessible n much more convenient. It’s possible 2 train ur dog not 2 bark while at home but d conditioning has 2 b firm n consistent (c thread ‘JR pup’ under column ‘Aggressive Dogs’).

BU park hs been used 4 doggie functions only after approval from d local council was obtained. U can check d signboards at d park/playground 2 c if pets r allowed. Dog friendly parks r almost non-existent here but u dont need a proper park 2 play with ur dog. A small grassy area (30 x 30ft) is good enof. Ideally, find 1 which is ‘barricaded’ by drains/bushes/fence, away from main roads n without many Muslim residents. It can b a corner of a park/field which not many people use or frequent. It’s important 2 find such an area 4 play…more so 4 JRTs.

Groovy (JRT), ‘Play must b d most happening word in d English dictionary.’

Toy
K9 Maniac

Apr 24, 2005, 10:23 PM

Post #13 of 40 (4752 views)
Shortcut

hi, im having a maltese now, well my suggestion is try to make a proper schedule for ur dog, for mine i do. so, my maltese know when is the time she is going to play, eat.. after pee & poo on the right place only she will get treat, & once i left her alone means she have to take a rest or play with her own toys, any barking will not be bordered. although it seems simple but it is very effective (in my case) wish this will help u a bit.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 30, 2005, 7:17 AM

Post #14 of 40 (4721 views)
Shortcut

Haahaha...

I'm guilty of the crime as well... I've not logged in for ages... Kekeke... Members of the JRT Zone should have sent out a search party for me!! SlySly

Great to hear that you're an experienced dog owner... :)... Anyway, I agree with you that having a dog is for companionship and not for looks only... If you want looks, get a proper fashion accessory.. keke...

Hmmm... in terms of small breed, short fur, I'm inclined to think about pugs, chihuahua and min pin... Frown Anyway, since your mom is retired and would be with the dog, pugs make excellent companions!!...

Anyway, good on you for doing the proper research!! Meanwhile, I'm still contemplating getting a 2nd JRT and so, am doing research on that.. :P

Join the JRT Zone

aliciakok
Novice

Apr 30, 2005, 5:35 PM

Post #15 of 40 (4713 views)
Shortcut

Hi Groovemaster, Gus Gus and Aragorn,

Thanks for your advice. I'm still going to and fro on my terrier. Now....I'm still stuck with a terrier - not one option, THREE options.

Either a silky or westie.....and the jack (of course!).

I guess I hv to wait till 8th May and see what other owners of those breeds think.

Till then any thoughts from you?

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

May 4, 2005, 7:06 PM

Post #16 of 40 (4690 views)
Shortcut

Frown...

Hmmm... Looks like you like Terriers a lot... Kekeke...

If I had been still staying in Aust, I'll prob still go for my Jack or Bull Terrier... TongueTongue...

Silkies are fun but tend to be a little yappy. Westies are gorgeous..

The one thing to remember is that terriers can be yappy because that's what they do. During a hunt, they sniff out their quarry underground (hence their breed name comes from "terra" meaning ground). They won't kill the rodent/fox/small mammal but they will signal the hunter by barking.

Anyway, good that you're doing research... Hope that you'll have a better insight during the upcoming "paws in the park"...

I hope to bring lil' Snoopy for a family reunion with Coco n Tubby (mom n bro)... Kekeke.. She's a little aggressive and we need to socialize her with other dogs. However, she's really really friendly towards humans, esp the smaller variety (kids)... LOL... Frown

Join the JRT Zone

aliciakok
Novice

May 5, 2005, 12:46 AM

Post #17 of 40 (4671 views)
Shortcut

What do you guys think about the Mini Schnauzer? I heard they are one of the breeds that does not shed much (VERY IMPORTANT TO ME!!). And compared to a Silky....their hair doesn't need to comb daily. Just need to trim which is fine by me (I'll even trim it myself!) I've also read in the posts they don't bark as much as the terriers.

p.s. sorry for posting it in this group. But you guys really have given me the best advice so far! Thanks!

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

May 5, 2005, 1:16 AM

Post #18 of 40 (4664 views)
Shortcut

Frown... Blush...

Miniature Schnauzers or MS as they are affectionately known are also terriers and so, you're not straying too far from this thread... Smile

I personally do not have much experience with the MS tho' my previous dog was a cross-MS. She didn't shed much but dogs will shed a bit much like us humans who shed our skin... Tongue...

In terms of grooming, they should be pretty ok to handle since the MS's fur are trimmed short. Anyway, do check out the books at MPH for more info esp on grooming. The important thing is to make sure that the fur doesn't get matted or else it'll be hard, so you'll still need to comb your dog's hair but not too vigorously. Anyway, check out the various other threads here concerning grooming... Even short-haired breeds need to have their coat combed... Frown

Join the JRT Zone

aliciakok
Novice

May 5, 2005, 1:44 AM

Post #19 of 40 (4660 views)
Shortcut

HeeheeWink Of course I'll comb it!! Just twice a week! I'll even cut the hair myself.

The dog doesn't know whether it looks good or whether it has a red or blue ribbon. So long as she is comfortable with its hair (doesn't smell or too long and unkept until it gets entangled in the furniture) and of course have lots of love from its owner...that will keep them happy.

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes focused on MS and the rest of the terriers listed Smile

groovemaster
Enthusiast

May 5, 2005, 2:30 AM

Post #20 of 40 (4650 views)
Shortcut

Rankings (from low 2 high) in terms of

Size: Silky, Westie, JRT/ MS

Cost: Silky/ MS, JRT, Westie

Grooming: JRT, Westie, MS/ Silky

Activity level: Silky, Westie/ MS, JRT

Dominance/ temperament: Silky, Westie/ MS, JRT

Training required: Silky, MS, Westie, JRT

Watchdog ability: Westie, Silky, JRT/ MS

Yup, MS can b just as yappy. Based on ur criteria: small size, requires little grooming, doesnt shed much, active n not yappy…there arent many dogs which will conform 2 dese standards. 4 small n active dogs, u’ve done ur homework n looks like ur choice will likely b a terrier, n as Aragorn hv said, almost all terriers tend 2 b yappy…so a lot will depend on ur training n conditioning of d dog 2 live in a condo setting.Wink

Dont think a Silky will keep up with ur jogging sessions tho.

nairud
K9 Maniac

May 5, 2005, 5:18 PM

Post #21 of 40 (4638 views)
Shortcut

alicia, don't take MS as the type tht doesn't bark. Whatever that startles them or hear or took their interest,first thing they do is to bark. my neighbour's 2 MS does this everytime. So, choose according to your need.

Groovemaster, groovy goin to the Park this sun?

Join the JRT(Lil' Terrorist) Zone

Click me to join Piper in DogSter

Sorely missed, Grizzley and Whitey the Terrier

aliciakok
Novice

May 5, 2005, 5:39 PM

Post #22 of 40 (4638 views)
Shortcut

Grovemaster, good job on the ranking. thanks. You're the best!!

Pheew....So long as it doesn't shed! Grooming is only the minus point and basically it is up to me....like I said can cut it whatever it looks like as long i'm happy and it doesn't hurt the dog! Lots of food and love for her!

groovemaster
Enthusiast

May 7, 2005, 9:54 PM

Post #23 of 40 (4621 views)
Shortcut

Alicia, other small active dogs 2 consider r Toy Poodles (doesnt shed but requires fair amount of grooming), Min Pinschers (mayb too small), Corgis (mayb too heavy to lug around in ur bag).Tongue

Nairud, Yup, will b there on Sun. Will u n Piper? Must try 2 win back d 'Fastest Recall' title, already kalah teruk in recent runs.Crazy

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

May 10, 2005, 4:58 AM

Post #24 of 40 (4583 views)
Shortcut

Frown....FrownFrown...

Kekeke... I still remember having to do a lot of grooming on my previous dog, Oofy. She was an MS-mix. She hated the part when we had to cut the hair in between her eyes... Wink...

Thank goodness Snoopy's a smooth-coat but I still have to groom her. My Dad is currently obsessed with getting her coat as smooth as possible, and he has been trying out various "conditioners"... LOL!!...

Funny that you should mention that some dogs don't know how they look like but my dog is a bit "vain". When she wears her collar or "baju", she will be grinning from ear-to-ear and her tail would wag alot. She knows that she's a pretty girl.. Kakakaa....

Anyway, have a look-out... Kekeke.. Hope you find our dream fur-master... errr... furkid soon...

Join the JRT Zone

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

May 10, 2005, 5:07 AM

Post #25 of 40 (4579 views)
Shortcut

Frown... Temporarily...

Hi there!!

I think I met your dog yesterday... Kekeke... Snoopy is a little bit scared in front of other dogs, but she gets super aggressive in her own territory (i.e. the car)... Tongue...

Groovy's a cute 'lil fella... TongueTongue Saw him in action during the fastest recall... He did great!

Join the JRT Zone

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my