Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
My puppy started to growl when I sneeked up to peek on puppy

bcmfern
New User

Feb 7, 2005, 8:23 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1345 views)
Shortcut
My puppy started to growl when I sneeked up to peek on puppy Can't Post

I have a 2.5 months old english cocker. He stays in the crate at night to sleep...so far so good since he is quite use to it but only makes noise when I put him back after playing with him. The ignore technique when he makes noise in the crate is quite good as he whines and howls a little for a minute or two but keeps quiet after that.

Last night...I sneek up and peek on him ( just to check him out ) in his crate and he started to growl at me...but when he saw it was me he wagged his tail. I am not sure why is he growling because I had sneaked up on him many times but he did not display any growling behaviours previously.

Is this normal or am I just too sensitive??? I have been thinking about it for the whole morning trying to figure out what his growl meant...I am just afraid that he will become aggressive....Unsure

Regards,

Worrying puppy owner

PSY
K9 Kaki

Feb 10, 2005, 11:46 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bcmfern] My puppy started to growl when I sneeked up to peek on puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, personally I do not think it is an issue since it is only 2.5 months old but I think you scared it, sort of nearly jump out of his skin hence the growl. If you can spend or designate time to bond with him and most important try and stop it from barking at anything because the breed loves to bark, it is a hunting dog and use to scare game so now is the time to train it. Can't tell you too much as I have never face that kind of problem do hope it is some consolation.

Sydney
Doggyman

Apr 2, 2005, 5:15 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bcmfern] My puppy started to growl when I sneeked up to peek on puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

My pup have the same problem wif you but it's actually common. Once my pup sees a weird object he will bark and wag his tail. The wagging means the dog is interested in somethingSmile.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my