Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
Advise needed on Shih Tzu Potty Training

TysonBoy
Novice

Feb 4, 2005, 8:18 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1595 views)
Shortcut
Advise needed on Shih Tzu Potty Training Can't Post

Hi! Wud really appreciate some advise on Shih Tzu potty training. I just adopted a 8 month old Shih Tzu. From the owner, it was boarded in a petshop and now it is with me. I have checked with the former owner about his potty routine .... basically the Shih Tzu does his biz on some newspapers. (the former owner wud use the training aid liquid). When I checked with the petshop people, they said they wud lay some papers for the shih tzu do his biz.

Funnily, the newspaper thing doesn't work for me at all. My boy doesn't recognise the newspaper as the place to go ..... I have also used the training aid liquid, but it didn't do a thing. The few times it had pooed was on my kitchen mat! I suspect it has peed on the sitting room carpet. I can't catch him peeing cos of his long fur and he squats! I have been very watchful on his movements and infact twice when he was arching his body to poo, i quickly remanded him and brought him to the area where I wanted him to poo .... he didn't poo ... so I stayed at the same area with him, trying to encourage him to go but he just woudn't go .... much later he went at the kitchen mat although I reprimanded him ...... I do believe he is toilet trained cos he doesn't simply go ... he does his biz about twice a day .... for me a non-toilet trained dog wud just go any time it wishes that may be continously during the day .....

So please, help me out here .... it doesn't matter if he doesn't go on the newspapers .... the papers was placed only for his familarity ... I am very happy if he could just go on the garden which is the best for me .... Thanks!!

MisterStan
Doggyman

Feb 4, 2005, 8:39 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TysonBoy] Advise needed on Shih Tzu Potty Training [In reply to] Can't Post

hello there

my shih tzu is 3 months +... i have trained her to pee/poo in newspaper, but it seems that she got the mood... when she is good mood, she pee and poo on the newspaper. and vice versa...

head ache head ache.. but i keep scolding her to do hr biz on the newspaper..

TysonBoy
Novice

Feb 4, 2005, 9:40 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1583 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Advise needed on Shih Tzu Potty Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there :) I saw your doggie pix and they are simply stunning. Beautiful and I just love it .... I have a Rott and he photographs just as well - very photogenic! Haven't taken my new Shih Tzu yet .... wonder how he would picture like since he so mr. whitey!!

So how are we gonna resolve this shih tzu potty issues heh? My Rott, at that time only three months old, I started potty train him .... within two weeks all kau tim .... now he is approaching two years old, never had a potty issue since. I know I have to give time to my shih tzu since he may be still blurry about his changes from former owner to petshop and now me ... but cos he is just a gentle softie little boy I need to use an approach that would suit his character. That's why I really need some advise here. Can't use the same technic I used on my Rott.

MisterStan
Doggyman

Feb 4, 2005, 6:29 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TysonBoy] Advise needed on Shih Tzu Potty Training [In reply to] Can't Post

hello tyson

my shih tzu not photogenic.. quitehard to snap a nicepicture also.. i think you have to reteach your shih tzu potty training, as he is in new environment..

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my