Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Breed Specific: Utility Group:
Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jan 27, 2005, 11:30 PM

Post #1 of 21 (2924 views)
Shortcut
Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus. Can't Post

Imperial & Tiny Shih Tzu We've all seen the ads. Imperial shih tzu for sale, tiny toy shih tzu for sale, 3-5lb shih tzu for sale. And more often than not these undersized shih tzu sell for an astronomical price. This is becoming a fast growing trend in the breed. You see ads like those in newspapers, magazines and all over the internet.
The breeders (and I use that term loosely) of these shih tzu tell great stories about them too. Like how there is a rare gene that causes these shih tzu to be so undersized. Or that the original shih tzu were that size. Or, worst of all, that the ASTC (American Shih Tzu Club) is working on revising the standard to accept that size.
NONE of that is true! There is no gene that causes shih tzu to be undersized. While ethical breeders may occasionally have an undersized shih tzu, they never breed for them as that size is substandard.
The original shih tzu were not undersized. I seriously doubt a 3lb shih tzu would survive in a unheated palace during rough Tibetan and Chinese winters.
The ASTC is NOT revising the standard to accept undersized shih tzu!
What these breeders are doing to our lovely breed is nothing short of abuse. These undersized shih tzu tend to have health problems due to their size. Not to mention that an undersized shih tzu would have serious problems trying to whelp a litter. These breeders are exploiting and mutilating our breed!
The bottom line is that when responsible breeders breed, their goal is to get healthy puppies that are close to the standard. No responsible breeder would EVER purposely breed for a fault. We all love shih tzu because they are shih tzu. When breeders start breeding away from the standard (the blueprint of what a shih tzu should be), then we start loosing the breed. Shih tzu will stop looking like shih tzu.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jan 27, 2005, 11:41 PM

Post #2 of 21 (2918 views)
Shortcut
Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus. [In reply to] Can't Post

This info is from an article by the American Shih Tzu Club.

AKC accepts all sizes of shih tzus but does not categorize them as Imperial, Tiny type and Standard.
To AKC all ShihTzus are in one category.

I'm not stopping anyone into buying small size and so called toy teacup shih tzus. Most petshops in Malaysia are trying to make lots of money by telling potential buyers stories about original shih tzus from Taiwan and Japan. Please don't be fooled. Get a shih tzu puppy from a breeder that breeds for quality and health, not SIZE! Pet shops will tell long tales and the price for such a small shih tzu, normally without a cert is around RM1200 to RM2000 plus...

Very tiny shih tzus may suffer hard pregnancies, labour, breathing problems and other ailments.

Once a while, a litter from normal size or standard size parents may have small size puppies but this is all nature and not man's making. Best to get a shih tzu from a responsible breeder.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jan 29, 2005, 12:57 AM

Post #3 of 21 (2896 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus. [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this article in a shih tzu specific club. Hope it helps your stand: The Myth about Imperial or Tiny Teacup Shih Tzu

The words “imperial” and “tiny teacup” have been used interchangeably when describing undersized Shih Tzu. This is not what the American Shih Tzu Club (ASTC) and the American Kennel Club (AKC) recommend and accept as good breed representation. The terms “imperial’ or ‘tiny teacup’ should be regarded as ....A MYTH.

Maybe you read an ad in your local newspaper, searched the Internet, or know of someone who acquired a Shih Tzu using these words to describe how unusual and special (and even more expensive?) their dog may be. The official breed standard for the Shih Tzu calls for a weight range of 9-16 pounds. Why would anyone want to steer away from the weight called for in the AKC. approved breed standard or to call the breed by anything but its AKC. recognized name? Could it be a fad they have created in order to obtain a higher price? These particular breeders have deliberately downsized an already designated toy breed. By doing this, they risk the overall health and wonderful distinguishing characteristics of our breed.

Many of these less reputable breeders claim that their Shih Tzu possess the ‘imperial’ gene. There is no proof that such a gene exists. Size reduction occures by breeding the smallest dog in a litter to another small dog of another litter, and son on and so forth. This not only creates an abnormally small Shih Tzu, but also puppies that may have health problems. This is not indicative of an ‘imperial gene’ but rather of poor breeding practices.

A resonsible breeder does not advertise an occasional ‘runt’ as an ‘imperial’ or ‘tiny teacup’ Shih Tzu. Rather, it is sold as a pet, solely as a companion dog that is not used for breeding. Responsible breeders strive to breed healthy dogs that conform to the breed standard. The ideal Shih Tzu is a sturday, active, healthy dog with good substance for its size. Those desiring a very tiny pet should choose another breed rather than destroying the very characteristics that make the Shih Tzu such an idea companion.

There is no such thing as an AKC Imperial or Tiny Teacup Shih Tzu. Any registry other than the American Kennel Club is not recognized by the American Shih Tzu Club. Breeders using alternative registries may have lost their AKC registration and breeding privileges for various reasons.

We would like to caution everyone reading ads, searching the Internet or who has heard the description of Shih Tzu as “imperial” or “tiny teacup” to conduct further research before making a purchase.

This American Shih Tzu Club website ( www.shihtzu.org) is a good place to begin or continue your research on our breed. There also are many good books about dog breeds, care and training to be found in most public libraries. Especially recommended is the AKC’s “The Complete Dog Book” which has a chapter on every recognized breed of dog.

Love, BB's Mommy

Frown BB Appreciation <<-->> BB ~ My Baby, My Love, My Everything, My Reason For Living Frown

Frown BB Shares Goss-Fest <<-->> BB & Snowy, Sitting under a Tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G ~ Gossip is F-R-E-E Frown

Frown BB Photo Album <<-->> Puppy Love ~ BB Photo Compilation Frown

Frown BB Dedication <<-->> Doggone It! BB @ Dogster! ~ BB Blogs 2!! Frown

darenong
Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2005, 1:55 AM

Post #4 of 21 (2667 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus. [In reply to] Can't Post

smaller size than normal size is usually sick and going to die soon doggies ... read it somewhere .... tiny and imperial shih tzu wont last very long in this world cos they r sick doggies ... be warned.

FrownFrownSimba - the Shih Tzu kingFrownFrown
http://spaces.msn.com/...lt&_c=photoalbum
Dogster me! @ http://www.dogster.com/?156485

Pets they said are men's best friend. Are men pets best guardian?

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 22, 2005, 5:07 AM

Post #5 of 21 (2637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darenong] Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus. [In reply to] Can't Post

'Mini/undersize' This not only apply to Shih Tzu breed but also other toy breed. Just because of the market demand this unresponsible breeder are trying to make huge profit out of it.

So, for those who is seeking a mini/undersize toy breed dog specially selling at petshop avoid buying it. Don't encourage this unresponsible petshop / breeder to continue breeding.

michellechen

Jun 22, 2005, 6:50 AM

Post #6 of 21 (2630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I also heard tht if a shih tzu is 2 big or fat, it is not healthy 2... Correct me if I'm wrong...

Btw, how small is consider 2 small? Sum shih tzu r juz smaller than d others... Ther was once I was told by a pet shop owner tht ther r bigger n smaller shih tzu, depends on which I prefer... So I said I like a smaller kind. So does tht means tht d smaller 1s r this teacup shih tzu?
-michelle-

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 22, 2005, 8:32 AM

Post #7 of 21 (2629 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michellechen] Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus. [In reply to] Can't Post

Teacup/Mini/undersize toy dog tend to sell at higher/expensive price compare to the standard size because of the demand.

I always told people not to buy this type of dog. Most of this dogs are come from the backyard breeder that breed just to make money only and they don't even bother the health of they dog. I also heard that most teacup Shih Tzu came from Hong Kong but local breeder also got produce this tiny Shih Tzu but not as small as the one from Hong Kong.

Aiya why people buy dog want so small for what? Because it was cute? And it wound't grow big? Hmmmmm.............. They might have health problem due to its size later your vet bill also expensive....HahahahaSly

michellechen

Jun 22, 2005, 10:20 AM

Post #8 of 21 (2624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus. [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer smaller size coz my hse is not big, if I get a huge puppy, it'l grow 2 even bigger size later... I once saw a shih tzu SOoo big, I thought shih tzu is considered a medium size dogs..? Unsure

But actually how small r those teacup shih tzu? As small as chi hua hua? Then tht's a bit ridiculous ler... Crazy

I was hopin 2 get smt like Pomeranian or Yorkie size, mayb... (if I din get it wrong ler, coz me also not so xpert on dogs... Tongue )
-michelle-

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 22, 2005, 4:37 PM

Post #9 of 21 (2619 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michellechen] Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus. [In reply to] Can't Post

Shih Tzu should be a medium size dog.

If you want small size dog breed like Pom & Yorkie get that breed lor. Why want a Shih Tzu that is suppose to be a medium size dog to become a small size ler? HmmmmmmCrazy

michellechen

Jun 23, 2005, 1:41 AM

Post #10 of 21 (2604 views)
Shortcut

But I'v seen many shih tzu quite similar size with Yorkie & Pom in most pet shops... I juz assume tht they r similar size wen puppy but shih tzu wil grow bigger later, yet those other 2 wil not grow as big... No?

But I stil prefer shih tzu... Tongue
-michelle-

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 23, 2005, 7:34 AM

Post #11 of 21 (2599 views)
Shortcut

The size is quite similar when they all are puppy. That why the petshop prefer to sell puppies at the age of 5 week old to 7 week old lor. When they become older the size will be bigger and nobody want it.

Better look for responsible breeder that breed good quality puppies that only allow you to take the puppy home at the earliest 8 week or older. Hope this help.Wink

Shinya

Jun 23, 2005, 7:56 AM

Post #12 of 21 (2597 views)
Shortcut

Hi Michelle~ Hope this informaion will help you:-

a)1st-30th day = 200g-1kg

b)30th - 90th days = 1kg-2,5kg

c)90thdays - 6months = 2.5kg-4kg

d)6months - 1year&6months=4kg-7kg

Now my female ST is going to 6th months, and her weight is 3.24kg if I'm not wrong, so she is in the standard size now~ Want to make sure how small is a teacup ST? check this out~ From what i saw u posted, I guess you are living in apartment right? Atcually I can tell you that there are only fews kind of breed that suitable for onwer who live in apartment, from what I know is maltese and ST is the best, Yorkie & Pom they bark a lot. So when they bark, you will get complaint from your neighbour~ If you are not staying at apartment or condo, I guess ST will be nota problem for you too, I am living at condo, and I own 2 ST, they are doing fine with me~ ST is unsporty dog, they don't need a lot a lot of place~ But they need daily jogging~

and join our fans page at www.facebook.com/Lolipet

michellechen

Jun 23, 2005, 10:28 AM

Post #13 of 21 (2593 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The size is quite similar when they all are puppy. That why the petshop prefer to sell puppies at the age of 5 week old to 7 week old lor. When they become older the size will be bigger and nobody want it.

Huh? Isn't 5-7wks 2 young..? Shocked I thought they can only sell wen it reaches 2 at least 8wks... 7wks is d min... I dun think that they can even vaccinate d puppy wen it's 5wks... M I rite? But y I said I prefer smaller 1s is sum puppies I saw (2-3mths old) is quite big compared 2 others I saw... Now, come 2 think of it, it's either they r bigger breed, or tht d petshop ppl might hav lied 2 me about their age... Coz they looks like 5mths old 2 me... So wen I asked d ppl at d petshop, they told me tht shih tzu has big, medium n small breed... They said tht is d medium... So tht's y I thought small is mor suitable 4 me... Any1 can clarify this fact?
-michelle-

michellechen

Jun 23, 2005, 10:34 AM

Post #14 of 21 (2593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shinya] Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi Michelle~ Hope this informaion will help you:-

a)1st-30th day = 200g-1kg

b)30th - 90th days = 1kg-2,5kg

c)90thdays - 6months = 2.5kg-4kg

d)6months - 1year&6months=4kg-7kg

Now my female ST is going to 6th months, and her weight is 3.24kg if I'm not wrong, so she is in the standard size now~ Want to make sure how small is a teacup ST? check this out~ From what i saw u posted, I guess you are living in apartment right? Atcually I can tell you that there are only fews kind of breed that suitable for onwer who live in apartment, from what I know is maltese and ST is the best, Yorkie & Pom they bark a lot. So when they bark, you will get complaint from your neighbour~ If you are not staying at apartment or condo, I guess ST will be nota problem for you too, I am living at condo, and I own 2 ST, they are doing fine with me~ ST is unsporty dog, they don't need a lot a lot of place~ But they need daily jogging~

Hey, thx 4 d info... Wink

I guess shih tzu is d rite choice 4 me... I stay in a small single storied terrace...

Do u mind tellin me wher u bought ur shih tzu fr or if u hav any recommendations? I'm hopin 2 get my shih tzu as soon as possible coz now I'm havin my hols, wil hav ALL d time dedicated 2 giv ful attention 2 d puppy n toilet train it... Sly I'v been viewin SOooo many puppies but lucky I din rush in2 buyin coz many was fr petshop n I dun 1 2 risk it...
-michelle-

Shinya

Jun 23, 2005, 3:27 PM

Post #15 of 21 (2592 views)
Shortcut

Any specific? Like colour, male/female, with cert or without, let me know, I help you to look around~ The petshop i bought Baby, as I said she is really healthy, they have a Shih Tzu with tri-colour, white, black and chocolate~ It cost like RM1.3k~ This petshop really good to me, maybe I always visit them and buy stuff from them, that day I went to their petshop, to buy the ribbon to tie up my Baby's flur, so I thought want to pay them, but that girl said FOC and even tie Baby's flur for me~ Ahahahaha~ So nice lor them, that petshop have been my second house, coz every week I will went there twince or once~ Lolz~ If you want to look for home breeder maybe you can go to http://www.thestar.com.my the search for the classfiled of Shih Tzu~ There got a lot of home breeder~ See ya~

michellechen

Jun 24, 2005, 12:21 PM

Post #16 of 21 (2583 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shinya] Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Any specific? Like colour, male/female, with cert or without, let me know, I help you to look around~ The petshop i bought Baby, as I said she is really healthy, they have a Shih Tzu with tri-colour, white, black and chocolate~ It cost like RM1.3k~ This petshop really good to me, maybe I always visit them and buy stuff from them, that day I went to their petshop, to buy the ribbon to tie up my Baby's flur, so I thought want to pay them, but that girl said FOC and even tie Baby's flur for me~ Ahahahaha~ So nice lor them, that petshop have been my second house, coz every week I will went there twince or once~ Lolz~ If you want to look for home breeder maybe you can go to www.thestar.com.my the search for the classfiled of Shih Tzu~ There got a lot of home breeder~ See ya~

1.3k is slightly xpensiv, isn't it? Is d price negotiable? I'm lookin for a male shih tzu, tri-color, with MKA cert.

My fren's shih tzu is also named "baby"... In fact I also thought of namin mine tht but since I'm gettin a male, it's like 2 cute 4 him... Tongue Stil thinkin of other names...

Yea, I'v saw in The Star, but hopin 2 get sum recommendations, seems mor reliable ma, if recommended by ppl who bought fr ther b4... Btw, wher is d petshop u bought Baby fr?
-michelle-

Shinya

Jun 24, 2005, 11:32 PM

Post #17 of 21 (2576 views)
Shortcut

Hi~ 1.3k is the market price~ Erm you want to buy something like 600 or 700 gonna hard for a MKA ST~ Coz most of them that sell this price got few reasons,

1) the dog is sick

2) maybe the dog go some problem like 1 testis~

3) the breeder or pet shop is the buyer close friend

maybe u can get OFC from here who is like chrisong~ They like pets a lot and face some problem have to give their flurkids to others owner~ If yu can get a cheap ST, like below 1k, i guess u should go ahead and buy it, but before it, check properlly, is he healty~

michellechen

Jun 25, 2005, 1:22 AM

Post #18 of 21 (2575 views)
Shortcut

I'm not lookin 4 600-700.., but thinkin of gettin around 900-1100, mayb... Coz sum1 told me tht even championline they r sellin 4 around 1200-1300, if not mistaken...

Yea, I agree tht d most important is gettin a healthy shih tzu above all... I'm not so experienced 2 check, so I guess I'l bring it over 2 d vet once I buy...Crazy
-michelle-

(This post was edited by michellechen on Jun 25, 2005, 1:31 AM)

darenong
Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2005, 12:36 AM

Post #19 of 21 (2560 views)
Shortcut

yeah Shinya is right !!! im not saying this bcos ive read it or heard ppl say .. but ive purchase one shih tzu for rm 550 with mka cert and history of parents, grand parents, great grand parents ....... the shih tzu even went for training for 1 month but then complain previous owner that they cant really handle the shih tzu ... hmmm why so ?
went i first saw the dog he was jumping up and down non stop once let out of the cage goshhh ... being so naive about dogs i actually think that this is great .. a super healthy dog ! i bought him almost immediately !
as i read more and more info abt dogs i come across statements about temperament and found out that my wonderful dog is actually might be having some kind of distemper problem ..... not knowing this i alreadi bought the dog with the amount with certs, 3 vacc and cage, wow i tot wat a great deal!! u cant find this anywhere else ... so i just let things go by nature's course ...
it turns out to be really a great deal ! as time goes by my dog is now so obedient never jumps to anybody unless he din see that familiar face for few hours he will jump try to climb on u with arms strech while standing ..... my oh my ... being not able to see the parents not knowing the health not knowing the seller/breeder/owner i actually got this super lovable dog !!!! yeah can say im lucky but i think my dog is luckier ! problaby bcos he got so much attention from family members. he is never put in cage and not tied on leash and everybody just loves him.
our family environment suits him so much .... it was the perfect dog.... for us.

im not sure if this story leads anywhere to yall .. but now i really think 2 3 xx times to get the specific breed .. wether or not we can 'handle' the breed and how devoted ar we to the breed ....... or is it the best breed in my environment. best for me and my dog.

FrownFrownSimba - the Shih Tzu kingFrownFrown
http://spaces.msn.com/...lt&_c=photoalbum
Dogster me! @ http://www.dogster.com/?156485

Pets they said are men's best friend. Are men pets best guardian?

michellechen

Jun 26, 2005, 2:25 AM

Post #20 of 21 (2556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darenong] Please read if you want to buy toy/mini/teacup shih tzus. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I appreciate u sharin ur experience with us... So, d bottomline is..? Sumtimes, it depends on ur luck whether u get a healthy dog or not? Crazy
-michelle-

Shinya

Jun 26, 2005, 8:03 PM

Post #21 of 21 (2544 views)
Shortcut

can say that~Crazy

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my