Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
HELP!! My dog wont stop chewing my house up

_colgate_
New User

Jan 27, 2005, 12:15 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1133 views)
Shortcut
HELP!! My dog wont stop chewing my house up Can't Post

hi every1, i really need help!! i have a 1 yr old dalmation and she wont stop chewing my carpet up on the stairs, im trying to do my house up and the stairs are really letting it down and dont really wanna replace it just yet as she will destroy it. please please helpSmile. any suggestions will be taken in and tried as long as they wont harm or hurt my dog. thanx
hi every1 really need help with my 1 yr old dalmation.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 29, 2005, 5:26 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [_colgate_] HELP!! My dog wont stop chewing my house up [In reply to] Can't Post

though female dog wont go thru bad adolescent period as males do, but it always a headache.

this is the time when u wonder, you send her for training, she is ok and she follows everything you say and then suddenly everything is so wrong and u r left with an "untrained" dog.

don't despair between 1 - 2 years old, dogs in general will become "rebellious" like human teenagers. things that they are not suppose to chew, they will chew like mad. this is a period that they want to test your authority and ur role as pack leader.

ok my suggestion would be, buy baby gate and put at ur stairs so she wont be left alone on the stairs to chew the carpet. only catch her in the act for bad things that she does and correct her with a firm "NO" whatever u do, dont hit ur dog.

firm up ur position, meaning., for eg, if before when u watch tv, she always sit on the floor and now she sits on the chair, push her down and let her sit on the floor and praise her. praise her for good things and correct her for the wrong ones. correct her mean catch her in the act of doing it.

my 7 months GR loves chewing on my air cond rubber hose. i caught her one day, correct her and block off the area. ever since no problem and she went there just yesterday, saw the area is block off and just walk away from it.

the key here is consistent and persistant. remember ur dog only know yes, no, always, never and they dont know what is sometimes. so if she is chewing the carpet in the living room area. u r already giving her the luxry of "sometimes". dogs learn that they can get away with anything thru soft owners who are too scared to correct them. dogs are the best example of a persistent salesman..it depends on the "end user" on how to educate the salesman.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my