Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
good dog trainer needed

guna12
New User

Jan 25, 2005, 11:38 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1680 views)
Shortcut
good dog trainer needed Can't Post

Hi, I am new to the group. I have two dalmations (6 months old) and they are destroying my cars! Anyone able to suggest a good dog trainer in the PJ area for me?

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 26, 2005, 5:13 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [guna12] good dog trainer needed [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry buddy but even if u send the dogs to a dog trainer and u dont enforce it, they will continue to destory your cars.

where did u get the dogs? adopted or purchase? if adopted, it could be something in the past.

try training them yourself. establish u r the boss, they should be able to comprehend that and stop damaging your other babiesSly. tell them "NO" and catch them in the act, you can hold down the side of the muzzle or you can tap the top part of the muzzle, this says u r boss.NEVER HIT YOUR DOGS.

if u already see a damage, forget it, correcting them will make them wonder what they did wrong. worst case scenario, buy a playpen and cordon off your garden, make them play in the playpen, once they are more reliable, you can let them out. u will be suprised how much u can bond to them once they listen to you.

guna12
New User

Jan 26, 2005, 5:59 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] good dog trainer needed [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advice. I got these dogs when they were about 6 weeks old from a friend. I am a first time dog owner and I have been giving them the best of everything based on advice and reading. I have also had some luck training them not to run out the gate and to SIT etc although they need constant retraining (getting much better though).

My bill from the workshop was 2000 partly my fault because I started the car with all the wires hanging below it and it shorted the car computer Frown

The problem is they are doing the damage at night when I cannot catch them in the act. When I scold them in the morning, the two of them immediatly pee! A bit funny but not at that time!

I live in a big house and would prefer to let them run around freely. I parked my car outside the house last night. They won!

How do you train dogs not to bite the cars? I was hoping a trainer could help me with this. Someone just mentioned to me that there is a special spray but did not know the name, to spray on the car to keep dogs away. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 26, 2005, 7:33 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1653 views)
Shortcut

doing damage at night? never sleep ah ur dogs? looks like they have tons of energy. r they your guard dogs? i will worry if u let them sleep everywhere outside the house. how if get stolen?

scold them in the morning after is not good as they cannot relate. i could only suggest u to place a playpen, i know u have a big house but if u cant supervise, then a playpen is a very good solution. if u want to pay RM2000 every month reparing your car, then i don't mind lah.

some ppl say putting dogs in play pen is cruel, it's not! proper and big area for the dogs to romp around esp for 2 naughty dalmations, it's the best u can do for the dogs and your environment.

well yes there are a lot of spray, the other option is to smear ur car with tabasco sauce or white vinegar. now this will further damage your car paint. and based on my experience, big dogs loves those spray that they say worked, tabasco or white vinegar.Sly

hope this helps

thomstan
Canine Addict

Feb 1, 2005, 8:31 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1638 views)
Shortcut

I suggest play pen or leash (about 3 meters in length) and no it's not cruel..

it trains them to be disipline at the same time you're training them house-breaking...

dog's don't usually pee and poo at the spot they sleep/play...

only let them run around on your supervision.. that way you can see what they do and correct them on the spot.

Enjoy the training session.

The one you love is the one that should take you higher

tterrynick
Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2005, 9:51 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1528 views)
Shortcut

I have to same problem. My rottie mix is doing the same thing - but to my plants. She is supposed to be the guard dog and therefore she is outside the house all the time. Don't worry all you doggie lovers out there, she is well shaded and taken cared of. The problem is when I look out the balcony every morning, I get a new surprise each day. Sometimes, the drive is totally clean, she slept through the night without trouble. But other days, I see different disaster-zones!!! Like this morning, my water-lily, after struggling for its life and blooming yesterday, she just bit it off!!!

Tried repellent sprays, didn't work. Tried giving her toys, but she loses them all the time - really I don't know where she hides them!

Aiyoh, what to do with her. I think one major problem is we named her 'Gigit' - being a guard dog, we wanted her to gigit bad people. But looks like she is gigit-ing everything else in sight. Sigh. Maybe must change her name! But no matter what, I still loooovveee her with all my heart. She is my sayang baby.

Sydney
Doggyman

Apr 23, 2005, 11:51 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Hi, welcome 2 the forum firstly.

You have to disiplin them or else they will ruin ur car....Cool. You can start wif basics or just put them in their cages.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my