New User

Jan 24, 2005, 10:44 PM

Post #1 of 8 (11416 views)
Shortcut
Finding Junior Death Can't Post

Dear All,

It is too late to do anything to save 'Junior' now but i want to know
what cause his death.

He was 2 months old when we took him home.He had his first vaccination already. The first 2 days, junior had nothing in his stomach. We contact the breeder and was told that it is normal for junior to feel abit uneasy and nervous in his new environment resulting him not to eat. His own poo-poo was his meal ( yes, he ate his own stools)

4th day -He start having diarrhea,Vomitting, discharges from eyes and leathargy.( No cough, no bloddy stools) His appetite was very very minimal.
It become so serious and Junior was immediatly bought to a vet and was given antibiotics (pinkish)and another ' orangish' liquid. Test shows that his stools got worm egg. He was also given a jap to stimulate his systems. The vet also suspected 'distemper ' order. There are few occasions, fits occurred.His temp was 38.5( is this normal or feverish?) and 25% Dehydrated. We were told his survival rate is 50/50

The next morning, Junior was in coma stage and was in 'water-drip'. Distemper test was conducted and result was negative. We rush him to another vet for second opinion because the first vet advised us to put him to sleep. :( But He doesnt have the exact answer of what's wrong with him.

The second vet also do 'water -drip' and inject something to strengthen his body. He told us that his surviving rate is 70/30 now. His only chance now is depending on Junior will to live. Again,We were not told what's wrong with him.

Looking at his breathing disorder, Junior still fight to survive.Occasionally, he will let out some sigh noise and quiet cry. He is motionless. His eyes is open but he is not blinking. It was very pitifull I pat and 'sayang' him for 6 hours till his last breath.

I went to 2 vet. None of them know what's wrong. one vet said distemper but test result show negative and the one said worm but wrong medication was given resulting him to death. Few minutes before his death, he had something like tiny small little water bubbles in his stomach.

We had him less than a week but our love grew for him more than having a bestfriend for 10 years.Junior left us 22 Jan 2005 6.15pm. He is a shih szu mix pekingnese.

(This post was edited by Admin on Jan 25, 2005, 8:01 AM)

michelleteh
Dog Kichi

Jan 28, 2005, 12:46 AM

Post #2 of 8 (11377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lynnhue] Finding Junior Death [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Lynn

I'm so sorry about the death of Junior. Just reading your post makes my heart ache for both of you. It's sad that Junior has to go through such pain.

I think Junior knows how much you cared for him from the things you had done.

Good people like you will be blessed.

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 31, 2005, 7:54 AM

Post #3 of 8 (11350 views)
Shortcut

hi lynnhue,

i'm sorry bout junior. keep your spirit up okay.

to my best understanding distemper can be very difficult to diagnose. A negative test does not necessarily mean there is no disease at all. common signs of distemper are green/yellow discharge from the eyes and nose, fever, loss of appetite, diarrhea, conjunctivitis, vomitting seizures and etc. infected dog/pup may not show all the signs.

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

gb_queenie
Dog Kichi

Feb 4, 2005, 12:22 AM

Post #4 of 8 (11311 views)
Shortcut

im so sorry to hear that.. but unfortunately i THINK my queenie got the same problem like junior.. she's stay in the vet now.. i just took her home 4 days ago, and yesterday i still played with her, but this morning i found her cant stand up, so i was worried to death, then i brought her to the nearest vet.. the vet say she got dehydrated, theres sum wormed and virus around in her body, and the vet also give her a water-drip.. the cause of this problem, as the vet told me, is because the breeder (whos i got my queenie) just gave her power virus vaccination, as a fact the puppy should be dewormed to prevent all the virus..

only the difference is my queenie can eat like normal, but she poo alot.. once she finish eating, shes poo straight away and also she eat her own poo.. the poo is abit soft and abit watery.. and there's one time i saw her poo got a little bit blood.. i've got 4 dogs, the other 3 dogs once i adopt they have their all vaccination and dewormed done, unlike queenie.. its my first time to had a dog with this kind of desease.. so as a lesson, before u adopt a dog, please check all their vaccination and medical things and make sure the dog is healthy..

i sorry to hear about ur junior.. also, im here now still waiting for my queenie back to normal again..

Frown a dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself Frown

gb_queenie
Dog Kichi

Feb 4, 2005, 12:25 AM

Post #5 of 8 (11309 views)
Shortcut

i think ur junior infected by parvo virus...

read this:

The canine parvovirus can be transmitted by direct contact or indirectly by contact with vomit, diarrhea or any contaminated discharges from an infected dog. It strikes with a quick vengeance, and pet owners often make the comment that their dog was up and playing a few hours prior to the animal becoming extremely ill. Unfortunately Parvo is fatal.

Frown a dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself Frown

vkin
Novice

Feb 4, 2005, 11:14 PM

Post #6 of 8 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Dear Junior's buddy,

All dogs go to heaven - I truly want to believe that. If you want to know Junior died of what, my personal opinion would be distemper.

My Lil Joey had distemper too, and showed similar signs like Junior. Parvo virus doesn't effect the nerves (from what I understand - and the virus attacks really fast). When there are signs of fits from distemper in a puppy, there is probably no cure coz the neuro system is already affected. Joey had 3 fits in 24 hours and we decided to put her to sleep the next day. She's only 4 months old but have to suffer.

Everyone who know misses her. To those who lost their buddies to distemper or similar disease, I truly understand what you went through. It's heart breaking every single day to see him/her in pain, and it's even more heart breaking when we have to make the decision to let him/her in peace.

But don't be afraid to shower your love to other too. Junior or Joey or anyone else for that matter will be happy to see you love and care for others too.

-vkin-

Garfieldpopeye
New User

Mar 29, 2005, 9:32 AM

Post #7 of 8 (11184 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gb_queenie] Finding Junior Death [In reply to] Can't Post

The owner mentioned that Junior did not have bloody stool, so the first thing I would rule out is Parvovirus. When a dog is infected with Parvovirus, there will be a characteristic sudden onset of profuse foul-smelling foetid bloody diarrhoea and this is not difficult to tell by vets. Sometimes laboratory results can be false negative for Canine distemper and vaccinated individual can make interpretation of the results difficult.

Toy
K9 Maniac

Apr 23, 2005, 9:36 AM

Post #8 of 8 (11021 views)
Shortcut

sometimes in early stage, try giving ur dog glucose or vitagen, this might help if his case is caused by food poison (u will never know what he ate b4 u brought back or even after u brought back) anyway no matter what the cause is, if the dog dont eat, providing them with the above solution is advicable.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my