Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Worms in Dog:
HELP PLEASE... when to start heartworm & stomach worm vaccination?

scout
Dog Kichi

Jan 24, 2005, 7:41 AM

Post #1 of 7 (4274 views)
Shortcut
HELP PLEASE... when to start heartworm & stomach worm vaccination? Can't Post

Hello all,

My Lab is 9 weeks old now, and next week I will be bringing him for his 2nd vaccination.

I am wondering, when to start him on heart worm pills/injection? which is the best - injection or pills? and do i need to have blood test to check whether he has heartworm or not (hopefully not lar...) since he is still young... {my pup likes to play in the garden, and bit plants, and sometimes dig and eat things from the ground/sand..}?? What brand medicine is the best?

Also, how do i know whether he has stomach worm? and how to prevent or cure it?

Hope any of you guys can help me... thank you very very much in advance Smile

Cheers,

G

kk9375

Jun 2, 2005, 8:37 PM

Post #2 of 7 (4137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scout] HELP PLEASE... when to start heartworm & stomach worm vaccination? [In reply to] Can't Post

i had ask my vet abt d Heartworm..yet,he told me dat its unnecessary for my puppy to take d tablet as mine was Golden Retriever n he wont get heartworm,so i juz listen to him n din give my puppy to take d pill..anyway,its dat true o not??someone there help me plz.....

rusty
Novice

Jun 6, 2005, 6:44 AM

Post #3 of 7 (4115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kk9375] HELP PLEASE... when to start heartworm & stomach worm vaccination? [In reply to] Can't Post

If that was what the vet mentioned to you, it must be the biggest joke of the century. A Labrador can't get heartworm ? HA HA HA.

As long as a dog is exposed to mosquito bite, there is always a possibility that the dog to come down with Heartworm infection. A dog with long hair doesn't preclude itself from mosquito bites because there are other areas that are susceptible eg. around the eye regions, the foot pads and the nose which are hairless regions.

You had better check with the vet again and if he still insists that Labradors are not susceptible to heartworm infection, please check and see if he is an authentic vet.

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Jun 16, 2005, 10:35 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rusty] HELP PLEASE... when to start heartworm & stomach worm vaccination? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm confused here too. Mine vet told me that GSD puppy doesn't need the heartworm tablets. It should take only after like 9 months. He doesn't believe in tablets. He said jabs are more effective and cheaper. Not sure how true is this? trying to find out here in forum. Any vet advice?

rusty
Novice

Jun 22, 2005, 5:13 AM

Post #5 of 7 (4031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeanYoung] HELP PLEASE... when to start heartworm & stomach worm vaccination? [In reply to] Can't Post

For reference purposes, you can check back the info which I have posted before on the lifecycle of heartworm under the title worms and prevention.

Puppies should be started on prevention as young as 6 weeks on the monthly prevention tablets and can only be put on Proheart injection at around 6-9 months of age. Please confirm with your vet again.

Assuming that you follow the vet's suggestion that you only start prevention by giving the jab at 9 months and your puppy was infected with heartworm from the first day of life, does your vet reckon that the jab at 9 months old can kill 9 month-old heartworms as well ??? Sometimes, simple logic will reveal the answer.Sly

llchoong
Dog Kichi

Jun 24, 2005, 5:54 AM

Post #6 of 7 (4021 views)
Shortcut
Re: ALL-HELP PLEASE... when to start heartworm & stomach worm vaccination? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh goodness me. I think you guys better stop going to that vet. I wonder where the vets graduated from, or are they simply drop outs from the Uni.

Dogs of all breeds must undergo heartworm prevention, starting at the age of 5-6 months or maybe as early as 2 months. I personally would prefer the tablet to jab as I have heard cases that some dogs died after taking the injection.

coffee

Jul 1, 2005, 9:21 PM

Post #7 of 7 (3980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rusty] HELP PLEASE... when to start heartworm & stomach worm vaccination? [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree with Rusty. Any dog can get Heart worm infection as long as there is mosquito. Dogs staying in condo are not excluded as well. Go for the prevention, you might regret it if not. Not all dog will get the infection but it is very common in Klang valley, especially if there is a stray population. All it needs is a reservoir of Heartworm. Treatment is very costly and risk is very high as well depend on the condition.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my