Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Acquiring new puppies

chong
New User

Apr 20, 2001, 9:03 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3225 views)
Shortcut
Acquiring new puppies Can't Post

I am a newbie and wish to acquire one puppy. Just wonder what is the best way of getting one and what points to look for.

All advice are welcome.

june
New User

Apr 24, 2001, 11:45 AM

Post #2 of 8 (3223 views)
Shortcut
Re: Acquiring new puppies [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

To obtain puppies, there are generally two options. The first one is to purchase them directly from the breeder. The second option is of course to purchase them from the Pets shop.

Buying directly from the breeders will have the following advantages :-

1) You may have a chance to view the puppies' parent. Hence you will have an idea how your puppy will look like when they grow older.

2) They are more healthy since the puppies are not mixed with other dogs from other sources. Dogs at Pets shop are normally exposed to many type of diseases as many dogs from many sources come into the pets shop for display very often.

3) The breeder should also be able to inform you the vaccination and deworming history of your puppy in more detail.

Hope the above help

premanm
Novice

Jun 11, 2001, 7:32 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3205 views)
Shortcut

Choosing a dog can be a difficult task
Ideally you should choose a dog that matches your personality...i.e of you like taking runs, a toy dog breed may not be suitable.

Secondly, it also depends on the size of your compound. I feel many Malaysians ignore the basic requirements of some of the big breed dogs and keep them cooped up in small gardens. Dogs such as doberman need plenty of running space. Not to forget certain dogs have grooming requirements as well...so you need to decide between a long fur or short fur dog

Also, what is it you are looking for in a dog. A family dog...some dogs have more suited temperament to this..labradors. A guard dog cum family dog...possibly a german shephard.

I have found a good website where the different breed of dogs are highlighted along with pictures. It contains the basic requirements, size and breed problems. You should check out www.petsmart.com

Anonymous
Anonymous

Jun 17, 2001, 12:58 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3203 views)
Shortcut

Hi, nice to hear that you're interested in getting a puppy!! As a dog-owner/dog-lover myself, it's always nice to hear of others who intend to follow the same path. To get a puppy, the best bet would be to buy one from the breeder. The puppies are generally of better health standards and it's nice cos you may be able to view their dam and sire. Certain breeders will also be able to provide you with the puppy's pedigree cert which is neccessary if you intend to have your dog as a show dog. Breeders are also more knowledgeable about the intrinsic details and will hence be able to give you better answers to the nitty-gritty questions you may ask. Something important that many people forget is the bond that you and your dog-to-be must have. It musn't only be that you like the dog but the dog must seem to like you too! Well, here's to the wonderful life you're going to have with a dog in your life. All the best!

Anonymous
Anonymous

Jun 23, 2001, 3:28 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3192 views)
Shortcut
Acquiring new puppies [In reply to] Can't Post

There are many variety of breeds available in the market and few things that we should conseider are :
1) Living space
2) guard dog/watch dog rate
3) Dog size
4) Grooming
5) Maintenance
If your are not a hard working owner on grooming your dog, I would strongly suggect you to have a short coat and low shedding dog. It can ease your work on maintening the dog.
Or you can refer to this website for a dog breed decision at www.activebuyerguide.com. Then click on dogs for further information.

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Feb 25, 2002, 6:46 AM

Post #6 of 8 (3117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemcyap] intro [In reply to] Can't Post

That webpage has been under construction for more than a year! Frown Thank God we have this forum...

-= Tisha =-

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Feb 25, 2002, 6:53 AM

Post #7 of 8 (3115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Anonymous] Acquiring new puppies [In reply to] Can't Post

Since everyone has already given so much advice, all I have to say is.. Make sure you are READY for a puppy. They're extremely time-consuming, manja little creatures, so you need to be willing to sacrifice some things here and there...

P.S. How in the world did that message appear on this topic?? I was replying to another topic and it appeared here... *wierd*

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 25, 2002, 6:56 PM

Post #8 of 8 (3107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Acquiring new puppies [In reply to] Can't Post

*WIERD*??
With your bowl of rojak, Rainbow's fried JB and my pungent remarks, soon we shall have cooking lessons!!!
A private joke amongst the 11 of us huh?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my