Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Help!!!

garlyn
New User

Mar 7, 2003, 5:32 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1708 views)
Shortcut
Help!!! Can't Post

Unsure Hi, New to board. I go by the User name, garlyn. I am the lyn half.

We have a Peek-A-Poo, (Pekinese, Poodle). He will be eleven years old this coming June. He looks mostly poodle, with the pekinese curly tail. He is a dirty white, (hence the name Sandy).

He is a very loveable dog on the one hand, and yet very aggressive. He has bitten me numerous times and my husband a few.

He needs grooming often. We can't always afford it and would like to try to maintain him ourselves in between cleanings. He has a chronic ear infection, which smells terrible. When we take him to the Vet they clean his ears thoroughly and give us medication, But he won't let us put the drops in at home. The problem has gotten quite out of hand. We try to muzzle him unsuccessfully. I have tried to tranquilize him, (Xanax 0.25mg). I have also tried benadryl (25) neither of which had any effect on him. I take them and I can't stay awake, and he only weighs 15 Lbs. We are at our wits end as to what to do about him. We would appreciate and helpful suggestions anyone may have.....Thank You....garlyn....

arthur
ALPHA

Mar 23, 2003, 5:30 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garlyn] Help!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Garlyn,
Seems like you guys have quite a chilly padi on your hands.. How did the vet managed to clean the ears? One way is to follow what the vet did.. Or else, you may try to cover his face.. Works for dogs that are nervous about clipping nails. You may have to figure out how to expose the ears though for cleaning while covering the face.. Maybe it's also good to muzzle him with a soft cloth strap tied over his mouth. Or else you'll run the risk of being bitten again...
Hope this helps.
Rdgs Arthur

milooh

Mar 24, 2003, 7:46 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1670 views)
Shortcut

Muzzles and stuff are like painkillers for headaches. I suggest taking him to the vet again and asking for a diagnosis to discover the reason for the aggressive behavior. If you know of any good books to read up, better still. Good luck.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

garlyn
New User

Mar 24, 2003, 10:03 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] Help!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileThanks for all the suggestions.Crazy We ended up taking him to the Vet, They had to knock him out.Pirate They gave him the works, cleaned his ears, brushed his teeth, trimmed the nails, shaved him, shots, etc.Shocked I appreciate everyone's input, a lot of good ideas.... Thanks, LynWink

makrawl
Canine Addict

Mar 24, 2003, 8:18 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1656 views)
Shortcut

your case remind me of my 12 yo spizt........ she had a bad ear infection as well, swelled and blocked. i brought her to the vet hospital at UPM (i was a student there) one week after i found out and they knocked her down and cleaned up for her. everthing was fine but she passed away one week after the treatment due to heart attack. i suspect that it was the anesthetic that caused this. she's too old to be knocked down i guess. but i have to let the vet to do it as she suffered a lot becouse of the ear.

anyway, hope that yours will be fine and stay with u for many more years.

ckbeep

Mar 27, 2003, 10:36 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1631 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

My Shih Tzu also have the same problem with ear. I took him to the vet when he was only 2 months old for checkup. The vet told me that the hair inside his ear actually overgrown and needs to be plug off. So did the vet. Being only 2 months old, he did not even bark, yet steadily let the vet did the job. It was a job very well done. The vet gave me some cream to apply on it and i followed the instruction of applying it twice a day for a week. after that it work, Elmo is free from itchiness from his ears. But lately, it come back again. The inside of his ears is a bit of dark pink color, guess it's because of the hair inside, but luckily there's no bad smell from there. Will bring him to the vet again for the hair plugging thin'! Wink. Elmo doesn't like me to apply the cream on him, but the trick is do it during night time, during his sleep time, I bet you it will be over in 3 counts. Sly. He's 5 monhts old yesterday!

CkBeep

Attachments: Elmo 4.jpg (17.1 KB)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my