Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
Schizophrenic Agressive Behaviour

luckey
ALPHA

Mar 7, 2003, 7:26 AM

Post #1 of 13 (3282 views)
Shortcut
Schizophrenic Agressive Behaviour Can't Post

Hiya... think I've posted before about my mum's dog Jupey, but she's running into big headaches with him again and wanted to post to see if I could find some good ideas from you guys.

He's a cocker spaniel, and he's bitten quite a few people in the past... we had it under control but then he started being all mad again when my cousin came back to get married form New Zealand. She is staying at my parents' house where Jupey lives, and he has taken a big disliking towards her.

It started when one day she went walking with my mum, and my mum handed her Jupey's leash, coz he is the easiest of her dogs to walk. Jupey thought my cousin was trying to take something from my mum, and jumped up and bit her hand. That was not so bad a bite... but then at lunchtime that same day, she inadvertently stepped over him (between him and his bone which he was protecting) and he jumped up and bit her leg (this time it was pretty deep so we had to take her to the hospital for an anti-tetanus).

Now it seems unless my mum keeps him on a leash all the time, he'll bite her again. And he's gotten worse with other strangers as well... what should we do? he's giving my mum so many headaches, coz she can't leave him anywhere and has to take him on a leash with her everywhere coz only she can "control" him, although she is feeling she doesnt quite have him 100% under control.

(PS my cousin went into my mum's study 2 nights ago, and jupey tried to go for her AGAIN, but luckily only got her tshirt, not her flesh, but she absolutely hates him now, and my mum's pretty stressed out about this).

would love any advice or feedback. thanks so much.

PPS I've heard about Rage Syndrome in Cocker Spaniels, esp golden ones, wonder if this is that... although he doesnt bite for no reason, he will only bite if someone hits somebody else, if you try to take things form my mum or if you try to take something from him...

mackmack
Doggyman

Mar 7, 2003, 6:32 PM

Post #2 of 13 (3273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Schizophrenic Agressive Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

have no construtive suggestion about it...

but he definitely sounds way too aggressive to me as being a pedigree. better watch out~

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

luckey
ALPHA

Mar 8, 2003, 5:22 PM

Post #3 of 13 (3262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Schizophrenic Agressive Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm yeah... he's quite difficult. Although the good news is he hasnt bitten anyone since. But wish we didnt have to treat him so carefully...

maybe it was something that happened when he was young... when he was a pup, one day he ran out to my car as I was about to back out the house, and my dad grabbed him by the neck (to stop him from getting run over) and he turned around and bit my dad (I think in shock) and drew a lot of blood (he hit an artery),.. and my dad obviously got really angry with him... like yelling and chasing him around.

but after that he has been quite willing to draw blood if he is crossed.

But the thing is he is also the "friendliest" of all our dogs - he loves to size up our visitors and has a big tongue... loves to lick...

He also didnt get any obedience training as a pup... thank god our dogs luckey and brinkley are not like that.

kaerb

Mar 8, 2003, 7:25 PM

Post #4 of 13 (3256 views)
Shortcut

hellos...this sounds like one of my dogs though not as bad..my dog only growls and show agressiveness to certain people, mostly friends that come by once in a while. I don't know why this is so coz he is the sweetest dog around other people, very submissive around humans...but only to people he doesn't like he would show it. Perhaps, you should ask your cousin to try giving Jupey a treat (a big n fleshy one perhaps?) to try to gain his trust? We always do that...bring our dog to that particular person he doesn't like and let him sniff around and then my friend would hand him a treat (though they are like scared out of their wits!!!!) and it works though. My dogs are eaters...so they definitely would not refuse a treat. I don't know whether this would work though on your mom's dog....coz it seems like he had a traumatic experience when he was a pup. Anyway...hope everything works out fine....
cheers........

luckey
ALPHA

Mar 9, 2003, 12:30 AM

Post #5 of 13 (3252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaerb] Schizophrenic Agressive Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for sharing your experience... yeah, i don't think i can get my cousin to give him a treat though, she is getting married next week, and her husband has disallowed her anywhere near Jupey!

The thing about Jupey is he could eat from your hand and still bite you later on... hmm.. Crazy

Could be maybe Jupey was jealous coz she was spending so much time with my mum (since she's staying at my parents place) and also, she has some of her own ideas about dog training (from NZ training methods) which maybe he doesnt like coz he is not used to them.

Thanks again!

makrawl
Canine Addict

Mar 12, 2003, 6:09 PM

Post #6 of 13 (3231 views)
Shortcut

HI there,

may i know what is rage Syndrome?? coz currently i have a female mix spizt that we bring her home from her last owner who treated her badly. she is having the similar problem like your jupey too.

it seems like she only wants to the "the only dog, the youngest, the cutest" in the house. she cannot tolerate with other dogs and small children that draw adult's attention from her . she always wanna attack my other dogs especially my new puppy. she even tries to bite my niece (3 yo) who was trying to give her a gentle pat for twice! when she's with me, she's totally act like a "manja" baby. a very suspicious character always thought that someone will attack from behind and always jump back and snap whoever comes near from behind. she also pee all over the place (that's include the front part of the main door of my house). my mom got so frust on her and she's deciding to send her to the dog pound. i'm angry with her too but i feel it is not nice to treat a dog like that. she's like a timing bomb and who knows on which day she might bites my niece. (if she did, my bro in law, my sis, and my mom will definately skin her and whack her ! next thing will sure be sending her to PAWS).

i'm going to be insaned becouse of her.

Mak

(This post was edited by makrawl on Mar 12, 2003, 6:13 PM)

luckey
ALPHA

Mar 13, 2003, 7:21 AM

Post #7 of 13 (3213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [makrawl] Schizophrenic Agressive Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, there is this thing called COcker Rage... i think it stemmed from springer rage(from the springer spaniel) then research found it was also evident in cocker spaniels, esp. golden cockers. But in rage syndrome, the dog is supposed to bite for no reason, and a minute after biting, the dog goes back to normal. While in this aggresive mode, their eyes are supposed to be slightly glazed.

Jupey however only bites when you either try to take something from him, or when you hit or touch somebody else (esp my mum or myself). And he doesnt have that blank glazed look. Apparently this is dominant aggression rather than rage syndrome.

Oh well, i guess we have to live with it. He is actually my mum's favourite dog because he is so close to her... maybe too close thus this possessive mad behaviour Unsure

makrawl
Canine Addict

Mar 13, 2003, 5:57 PM

Post #8 of 13 (3206 views)
Shortcut

after reading what u've posted here. i would agree that my spizt is not having this rage syndrome. i heard that the whole litter of this spizts is having the very similar character. i guess maybe is a genetic problem. all of them have the record of biting ppl before.

i tell u the worst part that happens yesterday. my mother chase her out yesterday after she did something really frustrating. (i was not at home) when i got home and get to know it, i was so angry! i drove for 2 hours searching the whole area inch by inch. at last saw her, tired and scared. bring her home and now i keep her in the cage so that my mother won't piss off by her again. but this is not the solution........ when it comes to the worst, i might need to send her to PAWS. maybe i'll pay them monthly to keep my dog there? since i heard they'll put them to sleep if the place is over crowded.

that's why i say, i really going to be insaned. maybe i'll get rage syndrome soon!

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Mar 13, 2003, 10:34 PM

Post #9 of 13 (3197 views)
Shortcut

aiyoo-yoo.. sounds quite serious uh?? may be ask your cousin feed her next time when she is on leash..? i did read some where saying that let those which our furkid doesnt like to keep on feeding them (pass over the food to them) and slowly they will change their mind..

also i think when young time may be should let him 'play bite' with you so that she know the strength of her teeth!
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

luckey
ALPHA

Mar 14, 2003, 8:40 AM

Post #10 of 13 (3189 views)
Shortcut
Re: [makrawl] Schizophrenic Agressive Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry to hear about your dog... sometimes we feel like that too! Jupey is in everynoe's good books at the moment... hasnt bbitten since last time, now that my cousin stays far away from him. It's like his king coz when he gets angry no one dares to offend him! well, my cousin is getting married tomorrow, after that she goes on honeymoon, then abck to NZ where they live... so no more jupey clashes hopefully!

Hope your dog turns out ok.

I know what you mean... these difficult dogs are still part of our family, and we can't really just neglect or put them to sleep, because although they are aggressive sometimes, they are not exactly dangerous like kujo or anything (was that the mad dog's name who had rabies?)

(This post was edited by luckey on Mar 14, 2003, 8:42 AM)

luckey
ALPHA

Mar 14, 2003, 8:42 AM

Post #11 of 13 (3187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] Schizophrenic Agressive Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm yeah, don't think my cousin will think feeding him is a good idea! Tongue

ginl
ALPHA

Mar 14, 2003, 7:35 PM

Post #12 of 13 (3181 views)
Shortcut

Cujo was the mad dog who wudn't let those poor ppl come out of their car...another one of Stephen King's brilliant creation Laugh

luckey
ALPHA

Mar 14, 2003, 9:21 PM

Post #13 of 13 (3174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Schizophrenic Agressive Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

yah thank god jupey not like that... but i think jupey fiercer than those akido police dogs giving the attack demo that day Laugh

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my